As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Community: Season 4 Premiere February 7, Old Timeslot

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Big Bang Theory (putting aside the issue of quality and just looking at it commercially) is one of those monster shows that comes around every once in awhile that just manages for whatever reason to attract a gigantic swath of people across a lot of demographics, including, apparently, people who also are into shows like Community.

EDIT: What Robos A Go Go said.

Is it really that popular? I literally never hear people talking about it, vs shows like the office that everyone I know seems to watch. But then I am consistently amazed that NBC is the last place network since it is the only network I watch anymore, and that CBS is first place since I have not watched anything on it in over a decade (I don't remember ever watching anything on it, actualy) and I never hear people talking about any CBS shows.

It's the most popular comedy on television by a huge margin, and I think it passed NCIS as the most popular show on TV. Hell, a repeat on TBS won its timeslot a couple nights ago.

I do not intend for this to be patronizing at all, but is it mostl popular outside NY? Is it mostly popular with college kids? It's just incredible to me that I could talk about tv with a lot of people (friends, coworkers, family) and no one ever mentions it, NCIS (I'm not even sure what this is) or any other CBS show. The only CBS show I ever hear anyone mention is Survivor, and even that is maybe 2 people in the last 8 years.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    After failing to gain admission with his Burt Reynolds celebrity costume, Pierce should have said he wasn't impersonating Burt Reynolds, he was impersonating Chevy Chase.

I thought they might have gone that route. It would have been MAGICAL.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Big Bang Theory (putting aside the issue of quality and just looking at it commercially) is one of those monster shows that comes around every once in awhile that just manages for whatever reason to attract a gigantic swath of people across a lot of demographics, including, apparently, people who also are into shows like Community.

Is it really that popular? I literally never hear people talking about it, vs shows like the office that everyone I know seems to watch. But then I am consistently amazed that NBC is the last place network since it is the only network I watch anymore, and that CBS is first place since I have not watched anything on it in over a decade (I don't remember ever watching anything on it, actualy) and I never hear people talking about any CBS shows.

It's the most popular comedy on television by a huge margin, and I think it passed NCIS as the most popular show on TV. Hell, a repeat on TBS won its timeslot a couple nights ago.

I do not intend for this to be patronizing at all, but is it mostl popular outside NY? Is it mostly popular with college kids? It's just incredible to me that I could talk about tv with a lot of people (friends, coworkers, family) and no one ever mentions it, NCIS (I'm not even sure what this is) or any other CBS show. The only CBS show I ever hear anyone mention is Survivor, and even that is maybe 2 people in the last 8 years.

NCIS is older people. I haven't checked Big Bang Theory's demographics much lately, but I would guess it also skews old.

EDIT: CBS also doesn't really aim for that kind of show. They're mostly procedurals with relatively likable characters or traditional sitcoms that go setup -> punchline -> audience laughter -> setup -> punchline -> etc. The only one of their scripted shows that isn't fairly traditional in structure is How I Met Your Mother.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Also, this was the first episode in a while where I enjoyed the "emotional" aspect and didn't think it was trite or preachy. Solid episode from start to finish.

Also also, "you may notice my swagger has a new swagger" was the best. THE BEST!

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I think, essentially, evil Abed is his inner child. It is time for him to grow up. Since he has aspergers, this is hard for him to do. This is akin to college kids racking up outrageous debts instead of being responsible.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    After failing to gain admission with his Burt Reynolds celebrity costume, Pierce should have said he wasn't impersonating Burt Reynolds, he was impersonating Chevy Chase.

I was incredibly glad they didn't go there. so so happy.

plus they already laid the brando joke out for us

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I thought that was the meta-joke. Neither Pierce nor French Stewart thinks he looks like Chevy Chase, even though he looks exactly like Chevy Chase.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

I'm in NY and everyone talks about two shows: Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother.

You're falling into the trap of assuming your environment is reflective of society at large. You just happen to live in an area where people don't watch BBT, or just don't talk about watching BBT.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Not to mention they did the 'reference to the real person playing the character' bit in 30 Rock. Tracy Jordan gets off his meds, and he yells from off-screen, "This is a show within a show! My real name is Tracy Morgan!"

It worked there, not so sure it would've worked in Community. Good episode, definitely agree that Troy is the normal one of the group.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Drez wrote: »

I'm in NY and everyone talks about two shows: Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother.

You're falling into the trap of assuming your environment is reflective of society at large. You just happen to live in an area where people don't watch BBT, or just don't talk about watching BBT.

It's just very surprising to me. Could it be based on education levels (the NBC comedies seem smarter in general)? I mean, I could just happen to only know people who don't watch it, but that seems like a huge coincidence. There must be some demographic reason (there isn't much diviersity in the people I know).

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I loved the episode, although I'm a sucker for guest stars and cameos. Also, I fully expected Jeff's shrink to be revealed as someone like Duncan, or one of Duncan's students, or maybe just a psych student from Greendale... anything to explain being so incompetent that Britta was better.

The only problem I had with it is that Abed's been pretty normal lately. Like, he's still silly and wacky but he hasn't seemed so dangerously out of touch with reality, whereas this episode was like the Christmas one where he was proper-crazy. It seemed like a sudden shift in character. On the other hand, it was funny, so whatever, and I guess discovering celebrity look-alikes for hire might explain a sudden regression.

• Options
    I think this might have just been like... brita needs something that she's not the worst at.

I know, I know... she's the worst. but that doesn't mean she has to be completely dumb and useless.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Variable wrote: »
    I think this might have just been like... brita needs something that she's not the worst at.

I know, I know... she's the worst. but that doesn't mean she has to be completely dumb and useless.

Nope, still the worst. If she hadn't talked to Jeff about the pills, his doctor wouldnt have given him the second pill which made him hulk out.

spacekungfuman on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    This week's Jeff was almost as good as last week's Britta.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    BBT can be summed up in one sentence: Laughing At Nerds, America's favourite pastime.

BBT is full of stereotypes that are borderline offensive. The Jewish Mama's boy, The Indian thats shy around women(and is effeminate) and the Nerd that is so obsessed with his pursuits that he can't function in society. All of these characters where stereotypes that where old in early 90s. Its not the 90s anymore, its not even the 00s.

Contrast Abed to Sheldon. One is a good character, the other is a offensive caricature. Unfortunately one practically unknown, while the other is Americas biggest breakout star.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Jeff's psychiatrist is evil Britta, who managed to become a licensed psychiatrist with little effort simply because she is the best.

• Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    I've said this before, but I think Jim Parsons has really earned the praise he gets. He's a very professional and humble guy, and he doesn't really play the part of Sheldon Cooper in a way that's offensive. At least it doesn't come off that way to me. Even if that's how the character is written, I don't really get the vibe that Cooper is played as a typical stereotype. He's the only thing I really like about BBT, which is why I catch it the day after online and watch Community in its normal time-slot.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Britta is the best.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    BBT is totally harmless and completely inoffensive. The characters have very little nuance to them and there's not much in the way of an overarching story. Things change so little that you can catch an episode from any season at any time and get all the jokes.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Jeff's psychiatrist is evil Britta, who managed to become a licensed psychiatrist with little effort simply because she is the best.

ok, but does evil Britta wear the goatee, not wear the goatee, or wear it and dye it blue to match that streak in her hair?

• Options
    I've never been remotely offended by the bbt that I've watched.

it's a caricature on a sit com. pretty standard stuff.

• Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    I've said this before, but I think Jim Parsons has really earned the praise he gets. He's a very professional and humble guy, and he doesn't really play the part of Sheldon Cooper in a way that's offensive. At least it doesn't come off that way to me. Even if that's how the character is written, I don't really get the vibe that Cooper is played as a typical stereotype. He's the only thing I really like about BBT, which is why I catch it the day after online and watch Community in its normal time-slot.

If you look at Sheldon as an over-the-top nerd character, it's so ridiculous it's hard to be offended.

If, however, you look at him as a character with a social disorder, it's the most offensive depiction of such on television.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    the newest episode of Community was incredible, holy cow.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Mars wrote: »

If you look at Sheldon as an over-the-top nerd character, it's so ridiculous it's hard to be offended.

If, however, you look at him as a character with a social disorder, it's the most offensive depiction of such on television.

I'm pretty sure that Sheldon was based on people the writers actually knew.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Regardless, I think he's an awful person. It's like rooting for Joffrey.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited March 2012

I don't see how that changes anything. If anything, it's more insulting. Yeah, people with social disorders are awkward and weird and have difficulty relating or empathizing with others. That's hard enough without people looking at them as jesters in the most medieval sense. Whether they knew that's what they were doing or not when they wrote the character, that's how it plays out.

Mars on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    the newest episode of Community was incredible, holy cow.

The Dean's reaction to Jeff's new swagger was priceless.
    "Oh my god, look at his shadow!!

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    BBT can be summed up in one sentence: Laughing At Nerds, America's favourite pastime.

BBT is full of stereotypes that are borderline offensive. The Jewish Mama's boy, The Indian thats shy around women(and is effeminate) and the Nerd that is so obsessed with his pursuits that he can't function in society. All of these characters where stereotypes that where old in early 90s. Its not the 90s anymore, its not even the 00s.

Contrast Abed to Sheldon. One is a good character, the other is a offensive caricature. Unfortunately one practically unknown, while the other is Americas biggest breakout star.

Offense has got to be the goosiest and most useless emotion ever.

I gotta say, sometimes I watch BBT because I just need to turn the brain off and chill out, so I choose it over Commnity.

• Options

I don't see how that changes anything. If anything, it's more insulting. Yeah, people with social disorders are awkward and weird and have difficulty relating or empathizing with others. That's hard enough without people looking at them as jesters in the most medieval sense. Whether they knew that's what they were doing or not when they wrote the character, that's how it plays out.

What's your analysis of House and Sherlock?

The point of Sheldon is that he's awesome because he doesn't see himself limited by arbitrary social conventions. The appeal is that the audience often wishes that they could get away with the same thing.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I thought that was the meta-joke. Neither Pierce nor French Stewart thinks he looks like Chevy Chase, even though he looks exactly like Chevy Chase.

Maybe Chevy Chase doesn't exist in their reality.

What a magical reality that must be.

• Options
    they also don't have Community

• Options

Tim%20and%20Eric%20-%20Space%20Explosions.gif

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

But they have Abed's show about themselves. Which would essentially be Community

edit: also, does the audio in the Hulu version seem desynchronized slightly? The audio being slightly ahead of the footage.

edit 2: ah, it is- at least on my end. I cannot watch this :(

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Watched the most recent episode.
    I am so glad that they didn't spray Jeff with green paint when he Hulked out.

• Options

The point of Sheldon is that he's awesome because he doesn't see himself limited by arbitrary social conventions. The appeal is that the audience often wishes that they could get away with the same thing.

House is an anti-social character with a drug addiction who is shown as struggling daily to relate to the few people he hasnt driven away. The show is a drama and he's a tragic character. Sherlock is much the same. You can't possibly compare a serious, if somewhat soap-opera take on a character to a one-dimensional clown who's sole purpose is "gosh, this guy's so weird, isn't that funny?

Sometimes I wonder if you intentionally try to say the most absurd things possible

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Nappuccino wrote: »

But they have Abed's show about themselves. Which would essentially be Community

edit: also, does the audio in the Hulu version seem synchronized slightly? The audio being slightly ahead of the footage.

edit 2: ah, it is- at least on my end. I cannot watch this :(

i watched it on hulu a little bit ago and the audio was fine... maybe just try again later? sorry, I wish I could be more helpful.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The whole episode was good, but the opening scene is one for the ages.

Shirley headshakingly saying 'the worst'

"It appears you've all noticed that my swagger has gotten a new swagger"

"I explained that really well"

"I'm an exceptional narcissist"

"Abed was the volleyball?" "That makes sense"

Also, the second scene line "I don't know who told you pouting was an option for you, but all you're making me feel right now is hatred of Renee Zellweger" is amazing.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options

House is an anti-social character with a drug addiction who is shown as struggling daily to relate to the few people he hasnt driven away. The show is a drama and he's a tragic character. Sherlock is much the same. You can't possibly compare a serious, if somewhat soap-opera take on a character to a one-dimensional clown who's sole purpose is "gosh, this guy's so weird, isn't that funny?

Wow, it sounds like you completely miss the entire point of the character.

I mean, do you really think your analysis is why the guy won two Emmy's and a golden globe for best actor. That doesn't happen because, "LOL, Weirdo!"

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular

Wow, it sounds like you completely miss the entire point of the character.

I mean, do you really think your analysis is why the guy won two Emmy's and a golden globe for best actor. That doesn't happen because, "LOL, Weirdo!"

The Emmys (and most award shows) seem more like popularity contests more often than not.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    also I'm fairly certain that the guy that plays Sheldon has won an Emmy for playing Sheldon