As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]nequa don't live here no mo'

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    guys check out my cousin's paintings

https://sites.google.com/site/funkyartresources/artworks/artworks-outback-images

my aunt stopped her going to art school but she kept painting in her spare time and is still rocking. I can only imagine what she'd be like with the time to actually devote to art ...

• .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    Whoa that's some cool shit! The talent is in your blood. So from now on everybody please direct art compliments to Tynic's blood specifically

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    haha I think she's the reason I never wanted to pursue art seriously
    having someone like that around when you're growing up makes it hard to look at your own scribbles with anything less than disdain.

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Oh my god Journey.

It's probably been said but this game is mandatory for any PS3 owner.

Flay on
  • GolemGolem of Sand Saint Joseph, MORegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    haha I think she's the reason I never wanted to pursue art seriously
    having someone like that around when you're growing up makes it hard to look at your own scribbles with anything less than disdain.

Holy crap @ both yours and your cousin's art. I hope I get that good one day O.o

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    I got it! It finally arrived! :D

Colors 3DS is twelve kinds of bananas!

• PROXPROX Registered User regular
    Anyone here do 3D character art?

• DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    So I've been playing this game called Realm of the Mad God.

It's pretty okay for being free.

• Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    ROTMG is lots of fun for a short while. I always end up looking at the clock and going, "Wow, I just wasted 4 hours on this!" I've been playing a ton of Tribes: Ascend lately. It is nice to have that type of game modernized, instead of playing the same bland shooter thats been coming out the past few years.

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    So I've been playing this game called Realm of the Mad God.

It's pretty okay for being free.
    What have you introduced me to!?
    YOU MONSTER!

• NicNic Registered User regular
    Indeed, DDV, I played it before work yesterday, it's quite the fun little number. For my own sake I'm not gonna play any more of it though.

• ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Man, Legend of Korra is soooo good. SO GOOD. I am very pleased with it to say the least... so good.

So I just found out that this is actually a thing:

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/02/01/watchmen-returns-in-prequels-from-dc-comics/

Dammit DC, is there nothing you won't whore out these days?

• ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I never got into Avatar because I am really wary of the sort of "american anime" visual style that many kid's cartoons seem to have adapted, and the entire main cast being children was even more offputting.

I did watch those two episodes of Korra that went up though, and I liked it. The character is likable and they clearly have a decent budget for some quality animation. I'm still afraid that the overarching story is going to be poop.

Scosglen on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    Avatar looks fun, but I find it hard to get into new series. I never have any time anyway.

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    I've never seen Avatar (BOMBARDIER AND MULLY DO NOT LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT) but I watched Korra and it was rad.

• Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    Scosglen wrote: »
    I never got into Avatar because I am really wary of the sort of "american anime" visual style that many kid's cartoons seems to have adapted, and the entire main cast being children was even more offputting.

I did watch those two episodes of Korra that went up though, and I liked it. The character is likable and they clearly have a decent budget for some quality animation. I'm still afraid that the overarching story is going to be poop.

Well I mean the original series got tremendous amounts of acclaim and it was insanely popular for a very good reason (the reason being that it was really, really good), so your fears are kinda based off nothing.

So nut up and watch the original show. And the new one.

• PukioPukio Registered User regular
    I really love that the new series is able to stand on its own while still being deeply entrenched in the mythology the first show established. It's really nice to have the clear connection without feeling like I need to go back and completely rewatch the first series in order to understand what's going on in Korra.

(Not that I'd really mind a rewatch.)

• Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    oh dang this the artists' forum sorry

Skull Man on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Skull Man wrote: »
    also it only seems like american anime because the characters are asian

nothing else about it is "anime"

Elements of the visual style are somewhat anime-ish, but the animation style is definitely western, what with people actually moving while they're talking. And rare is the anime where you can deduce someone's ethnicity.

But yeah, Scos, you have done yourself an enormous disservice by casually dismissing Avatar like you did. It's an excellent show with great writing and interesting character progression and great animation and it's super pretty.

And Korra is shaping up to be better in practically every way. So watch it.

Or you'll go on the list.

Spectre-x on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    I never got into Avatar because I am really wary of the sort of "american anime" visual style that many kid's cartoons seems to have adapted, and the entire main cast being children was even more offputting.

One thing that I think is unfortunate is that the first couple of episodes don't do all that much to work against those expectations; I watched the first episode, and then didn't watch the second until a year later when people started raving about how awesome it was (in response to how shitty the live-action movie was), because it starts out very, for a lack of a better term, "Nickelodeony"-the initial impression doesn't show the villians with much depth, and the kids seem like your standard 'too-cool-for-school' snarksters that nobody other than cartoon writers actually believe children act like.

However, the further you get into it, it gets a lot lot lot better, as the characters get more fleshed out, the animation improves, the direction gets better at hitting the right tone and emotions-to the point where I'd probably say it's the best American animated series I've ever seen. (Especially if you ever go back and try to watch older show you were into as a kid and see how painful most of them really are to watch.)

I just find it annoying that the first few episodes make it a harder sell than I'd like it to be- "Yeah, you should watch it, it's fantastic! You just have to wade through about an hour and a half of stuff that you'll probably be on the fence about before you actually like it, though." But if I said it was all super-amazing, the person I'm trying to convince to watch it might give up early (as I did), based on the rougher early stuff. I would say they're not bad compared to an average cartoon, but you don't get the sense of it really being something special until later on.

• FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's not until after episode 8 or so that season 1 begins to take on any semblance of a really plot-driven show. Seasons 2 and 3 grow it into a truly all-ages kind of show, where the writing and themes aren't dumbed down, but can still be appreciated by all audiences.

It really is one of those rare shows that only gets better as time goes on, with the finale being incredibly satisfying.

• bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    Man, Legend of Korra is soooo good. SO GOOD. I am very pleased with it to say the least... so good.

Juuuuust watched episode 2 and yes it is wonderful.

• TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    the drawing and animation quality is pretty significantly better in Korra than the original series
    which is saying something

also I hate that I blast through any long-running series that I find and then I'm caught up and have to wait for new material like everyone else (One Piece)
    consume consume consume

Tam on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    I also watch ponies. It's animated only a few blocks away from me!

edited March 2012
    Tam wrote: »
    the drawing and animation quality is pretty significantly better in Korra than the original series

Word. I'm 8 minutes into Ep.1 and it's like, holy shit. Korra doesn't seem like it's going to have the same slow-to-get-good problem that Avatar had. (:

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited March 2012
    I never got into Avatar because I am really wary of the sort of "american anime" visual style that many kid's cartoons seem to have adapted, and the entire main cast being children was even more offputting.

I am right there with you. Although I really wasn't a fan of the original Avatar's character design (especially the main character), I was very pleased to see a western take of something the east has been doing for years, with little of the negatives carrying over.

I will definitely be keeping an eye out for Korra, as the heroine and plot seem much more interesting to me :)

EDIT:

also I hate that I blast through any long-running series that I find and then I'm caught up and have to wait for new material like everyone else (One Piece)
    consume consume consume

Welcome to my nightmare.

Although, did you really blast through all of it? There's like, 800 chapters to that thing!

Godfather on
    661 but yeah
    640 in a little over a week
    I read a lot, at home and at work

661 but yeah
    640 in a little over a week
    I read a lot, at home and at work

What on earth do you do for work that you have that much time for reading comics?

edited March 2012
    most of it was after I got home and not really sleeping very well
    I peddle cell phone cases at a kiosk (friend's business) and work at another store
    but in sales, slow days are verrrrry slow
    and there are just the regular dead hours

also the chapters are pretty short

Tam on
    So what's your impression then? Favorite story arc/character?

• Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    Tam. Draw a One Piece character in your lovely line style please. I have need of this. It's also pretty awesome that you're into One Piece.

Especially in a week. Big props on trucking through Skypeia, that one really dragged out a bit.

You should probably draw Enel. Or Franky.

• ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    I had the same problem with the original Avatar series, first few episodes didn't really snag me. Then, one day when I was home sick I watched a couple more and got hooked like no one's business. It's definitely one of my all-time favorite series... of all time.

edited March 2012
    My impression is that it's a pretty entertaining series that threw a finger to conventional visual style
    Dunno if I can choose one favorite arc, but Arlong Park, Fishman Island, and Skypeia come to mind first (hey lookit there's a general theme there)

there are too many characters I like to start making a list
    but the newest addition positioned pretty high on the list is Fisher Tiger

unhappy with some of the timeskip redesigns
    Nami's, Robin's, and Franky's especially
    I think Jinbei would be fun to draw

also I read a lot of Naruto (well I say read, but a lot of that was the wiki) and the ideas in that series turned out to be more sophisticated than I was expecting
    but then again, I was expecting a caveman smearing shit on his face

I am become an anime

Tam on

Word. I'm 8 minutes into Ep.1 and it's like, holy shit. Korra doesn't seem like it's going to have the same slow-to-get-good problem that Avatar had. (:

yesss, I know
    3D mixing still doesn't work very well, but then it never really has looked quite natural

also this one looks like it'll be a more mature story than the first series

• F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    I am enjoying it! I love the designs and personally don't mind the mix of 3d backgrounds too much. I hope it gets as crazy as avatar tlab did.

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    What the dick there's a timeskip now? Holy crap I haven't bought any since chapter 500 or something...
    Also, Arlong park was the shit.

• FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular

yesss, I know
    3D mixing still doesn't work very well, but then it never really has looked quite natural

also this one looks like it'll be a more mature story than the first series

The whole "benders vs non-benders" social divide is something that should be really interesting to watch play out. The idea that people would go "hey, wait a minute. The fate of our entire society is decided by whatever individuals are lucky enough to be born with the ability to turn the air into fire or turn your own blood against you. That's not very fair!" is really cool, and not something I was expecting to see from the series.

Plus, magical steampunk set against the backdrop of a 1920's not-Hong Kong. It's deviantArt the TV show!

Yeah Korra having to figure out how the avatar needs to fit into this newfangled society wary of genetic magic is gonna be cool. There's already been hints at problems of poverty in the midst of a prosperous society *cough* already. So that has the potential to be cool in a grown up way.

Also the difference between traditional bending vs probending is interesting.

This discussion has been closed.