As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Metal Gear] Ground Zeroes footage in the OP. Fox Engine. Holy moly.

• IgortIgort Registered User regular
    So I'm getting into Peace Walker. But man, these boss fights are fucking stupid.

I'm up to the helicopter now, can't beat it. It's ridiculous. Unless there's some trick to it, like maybe some weapon in particular does the trick? But the RPG2 I have seems to deal damage totally at random, sometimes it'll take 2 bars with one missile, then it'll take 6 missiles to take off another bar? The fuck is that?

The trick in regards to damage depends on where you shoot it. Shooting the cockpit will do a different amount of damage than shooting the wings, for example.

I seemed to have a much easier time just focusing on wiping out the support squad, and then whittling the Mech's health down just enough so the squad leader sticks his dumb head out, killing him, and then you can keep the mech for your own use.

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Also, for the helicopter I found it useful to shoot at it while it was dropping off troops, if you're lucky you can take out 2-3 of them while also dealing damage to the chopper.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I've been trying to keep my kills to a minimum. Guess that was my problem right there! Seems like the helicopter (or any mech battle) will get stuck doing nothing if a soldier is lying unconscious anywhere - gotta Fulton those guys out of there/kill them before the fight will advance.

Took me ages to get that, I thought the boss AI was just stupidly random. >.>

Oh brilliant
    I've been trying to keep my kills to a minimum. Guess that was my problem right there! Seems like the helicopter (or any mech battle) will get stuck doing nothing if a soldier is lying unconscious anywhere - gotta Fulton those guys out of there/kill them before the fight will advance.

Took me ages to get that, I thought the boss AI was just stupidly random. >.>

Well, if you're not trying to kill them, did you know you can win without killing anyone and without attacking the vehicle if you aren't detected? Tranq and fulton all the soldiers, and if you're not detected the commander will pop his head out before you even attack him. Although you need to have enough fultons for everyone, which may be difficult in the early parts of the game.

edited March 2012
    dammit

AnteCantelope on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I would just save yourself the headache and not try to S rank or stealth/no kill any vehicle fight your first time through. You simply lack the resources to make it anything other than an utter pain in the ass to do. You can do it, but you need intimate knowledge on how to go about it.

So just suck it up, break out the AK and RPG, and go Rambo. Unlike every other MGS, there's no real penalty for killing. You'll never lock yourself out of the super bonus items. So save the S ranks for the post game. Because even when you have all the super bells and whistles, they're still a pain to do.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I just reached my first boss fight in MGS4. Thats some creepy shit.

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    I would just save yourself the headache and not try to S rank or stealth/no kill any vehicle fight your first time through. You simply lack the resources to make it anything other than an utter pain in the ass to do. You can do it, but you need intimate knowledge on how to go about it.

So just suck it up, break out the AK and RPG, and go Rambo. Unlike every other MGS, there's no real penalty for killing. You'll never lock yourself out of the super bonus items. So save the S ranks for the post game. Because even when you have all the super bells and whistles, they're still a pain to do.

Pretty much. Though I'll disagree with you on them being a pain to do once you've got all the super weapons. The story ones are crazy easy once you're that far, it's the hardest level of them in Extra Ops that get annoying. Though even then the good old sleep grenade+fulton mine trick still works on the APC's.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote: »

I know a lot of people didn't get/like the B&Bs, but I thought they were a great addition to the series. Story teller Drebin is dumb, but the Beasts themselves? They creep me the fuck out.

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular

Pretty much. Though I'll disagree with you on them being a pain to do once you've got all the super weapons. The story ones are crazy easy once you're that far, it's the hardest level of them in Extra Ops that get annoying. Though even then the good old sleep grenade+fulton mine trick still works on the APC's.

And once you get the Carl Gustav Fulton, you don't even need to stealth those harder Extra Ops to beat them with an S-Rank.

Laughing Octopus is awesome - stole Solidus' tentacles, and the codename of the most mysterious FOXHOUND guy mixed together with a pretty girl who does some disgusting stuff.

Also she was a pain in the ass for me to tranq. I came so close to just shotgunning her in the face. Then I discovered V-Ring ammo! :D

Oh brilliant

I know a lot of people didn't get/like the B&Bs, but I thought they were a great addition to the series. Story teller Drebin is dumb, but the Beasts themselves? They creep me the fuck out.

They're written fantastically, as well as acted.

And once you get the Carl Gustav Fulton, you don't even need to stealth those harder Extra Ops to beat them with an S-Rank.

I dunno. Even after I'd fully upgraded the Carl Gustav I preferred stealthing them because it's easier and more fun that way. Some of them (like the tanks with missiles) were also an enormous pain in the ass if you didn't use stealth.

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    I just finished S-ranking everything in Peace Walker, and I preferred CG Fultoning all the soldiers on the vehicle missions just because it's funny hearing Miller complain about the overcrowding.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
    My MG ZEKE seems to be done, but I can't use it for anything? I farmed the AI weapon bosses a couple of times, got all the main and optional parts, but ZEKE isn't showing up for use in Outer Ops? I gotta finish the story first, or what?

Oh brilliant
    edited March 2012
    Let me know what you think of Screaming Mantis when you get to it.
    After she loses her suit she starts freaking the fuck out, as she flashes back to when she was trapped under a house where they tortured prisoners day and night and dumped the bodies underneath. She finally looks at Snake and screams "SET ME FREE!" It's one of the few times in games I think the horror of war was conveyed adequately. She wants Snake to kill her to make it all stop. And is much more sympathetic than Fortune ever was.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I just finished S-ranking everything in Peace Walker, and I preferred CG Fultoning all the soldiers on the vehicle missions just because it's funny hearing Miller complain about the overcrowding.

When they start falling off the platform (dont remember the exact words) is hilarious.

Also, using the musket and hearing Miller's response.

"Man overboard!"

I heard that alot. :p

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular

When they start falling off the platform (dont remember the exact words) is hilarious.

Also, using the musket and hearing Miller's response.

{sound of large crowd arguing in background}
    "No more Fulton recoveries for now. Mother Base is so packed it's standing room only. Damn it! Man overboard!"

steam_sig.png
    My MG ZEKE seems to be done, but I can't use it for anything? I farmed the AI weapon bosses a couple of times, got all the main and optional parts, but ZEKE isn't showing up for use in Outer Ops? I gotta finish the story first, or what?

Do you have Zeke's AI pod? You need both Huey and Strangelove on your R&D team, and to farm enough of the control boards from the AIs for Huey to tell you it's ready.

steam_sig.png
    That'll be what I'm missing!

So what about those circuit boards, is there any priority to them? I've been grabbing S ones cause I thought S = best board, like a grade. :P

Oh brilliant
    That'll be what I'm missing!

So what about those circuit boards, is there any priority to them? I've been grabbing S ones cause I thought S = best board, like a grade. :P

The letters signify which part they control - M for Mobility, S for Senses, A for Attack, C for Control. The more you attack the relevant part on the AI beforehand, the more of those boards are available, but the less chance you have of the same body part dropping.

steam_sig.png
    But I only need the body part once, right? So I should prioritize getting boards over body parts. Are there any particular boards that are harder to get?

Oh brilliant
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It's not that any are hard to get, but certain boards are only available on the upgraded AI fights you unlock.

To put it simply, here's a list of all the boards and which boss has them.
    M Boards
    001-020 Pupa Story
    021-040 Pupa Type II
    031-050 Pupa Custom
    051-060 Chrysalis Story
    061-070 Chrysalis Type II
    066-075 Chrysalis Custom
    076-079 Cocoon Story
    080-082 Cocoon Type II
    082-083 Cocoon Custom
    084-094 Peace Walker Type II
    092-100 Peace Walker Custom

S Boards
    001-010 Pupa Story
    011-020 Pupa Type II
    016-025 Pupa Custom
    026-045 Chrysalis Story
    046-065 Chrysalis Type II
    056-075 Chrysalis Custom
    076-083 Cocoon Story
    084-089 Cocoon Type II
    087-092 Cocoon Custom
    093-098 Peace Walker Type II
    097-100 Peace Walker Custom

A Boards
    001-005 Pupa Story
    003-007 Pupa Type II
    004-008 Pupa Custom
    009-016 Chrysalis Story
    017-022 Chrysalis Type II
    020-025 Chrysalis Custom
    026-045 Cocoon Story
    046-065 Cocoon Type II
    056-075 Cocoon Custom
    076-090 Peace Walker Type II
    086-100 Peace Walker Custom

C Boards
    001-008 Pupa Story
    009-014 Pupa Type II
    012-017 Pupa Custom
    018-021 Chrysalis Story
    020-023 Chrysalis Type II
    022-025 Chrysalis Custom
    026-035 Cocoon Story
    036-045 Cocoon Type II
    041-050 Cocoon Custom
    051-080 Peace Walker Type II
    081-100 Peace Walker Custom

Go to the AI board menu, write down which boards you need, then go fight that boss, making sure to destroy body parts related to that board. It really helps to have the rank 5 analyzer, because then you can pause the game and see exactly how much damage each part has. Then finally when you're inside the pod, scan around and see if the numbered boards are there, and yank 'em.

It's a right pain in the ass if you're looking to collect them all. For example I had to fight Cocoon a dozen times before I finally got one specific A board. But I don't think there's any in-game reason to do so except for personal completion. Well that and it makes Zeke better in Outer Ops, but 100% boards is overkill at that point.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    But I only need the body part once, right? So I should prioritize getting boards over body parts.

Yes, except:

* If ZEKE is destroyed on Outer Ops (unlikely, but it can happen) you need to put it together again from scratch, so it helps to have spares (don't worry, you'll keep the AI boards).
    * Completing all the main ops missions requires battling ZEKE, and it helps if you haven't upgraded the AI too much beforehand (Also, it helps to remove any optional parts you have attached before the fight, then putting them back afterwards).

Are there any particular boards that are harder to get?

What The Wolfman said, basically. And no, there's no in-game reason to get all the boards. I ended up with about 60 of each just through normal replays, and that was more than enough.

steam_sig.png
    Oh, and there are also special head/legs parts from the Custom AIs you need to attach for an achievement/trophy, but don't worry about that unless you're achievement hunting.

steam_sig.png
    So Laughing Octopus.......
    I feel really bad for her now. I wasn't expecting a detailed account of what she went through. That's some twisted mad stuff right there.

I can only expect it to get worse...... in a good way.

edited March 2012
    FYI, their backgrounds are kind of same-ish, but all completely plausable for anyone who's read an article or two on the awful shit that goes down in third world warzones around the globe.

Screaming Mantis' is the worst I think.

Definately give us your Act IV impressions and on the final boss!

manwiththemachinegun on
    if I manage to get that far, I'm kind of having to squeeze play in when everyones gone to bed. So an hour a night maybe? If that. Tonight I got in a half hour due to browsing the PSN store for stuff. And I just ordered RDR and bought Journey. No idea when I'll play it but eh, its there :p

Oh, and there are also special head/legs parts from the Custom AIs you need to attach for an achievement/trophy, but don't worry about that unless you're achievement hunting.

The rank 2 slingshot band and Peace Walker legs were the two things I really lucked into while playing the game. The band I managed to get on my very first try of that mission, while the legs I got on my second or third attempt while playing online with randoms. Pity I wasn't so lucky with the Rathalos Wing, since that took hours of attempts to get.

Special heads are super easy to get though, I think I ended up with 2 or 3 of them before I stopped playing.

I spent hours trying to get the wing and a custom head and legs with no result, then all three suddenly dropped in the space of ten minutes. Bizarre.

steam_sig.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I finally played Peace Walker for the first time today

That...is not a game I ever want to play again

The controls feel too loose, it has the annoying third-person camera from Subsistence/MGS4, the whole thing just feels like this weird offshoot from the main series, but somehow still rooted in canon through its story links and not completely off-the-wall and awesome like the Acid games were. I also hate hate hate the comic-book cutscenes, the art is absolutely terrible

Annoying 3rd person camera? Most people love it.

edited March 2012
    Yes well

I'm not one of them

I was glad when Subsistence gave you the option instead of forcing it onto you, and I understand why MGS4 and PW can't do it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

EDIT: Wait, can you really not slit throats or snap necks in this game?

Hahahahaha Jesus fucking Christ

UnbreakableVow on
    edited March 2012
    Edit: cursed forums!

manwiththemachinegun on
    Yeah, you can still execute people.

Dammit, when this game was on pause the PS3 apparently turned itself off. And now it won't turn back on for long, it shuts down automatically and the red light starts flashing

I know it isn't related but now my mind is going to link this to Peace Walker, just how The Godfather: The Game killed my 360

That sucks dude, happened to mine earlier this year too. Although it was Assassin's Creed for me.

That sucks dude, happened to mine earlier this year too. Although it was Assassin's Creed for me.

Oh, does this mean it's definitely fucked?

I was leaving it off for an hour to cool down or something hoping that'd help

My old 60 gig warhorse never turned on again once that happened. *salute*