As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LOTRO] I'll see you on the other side. The Barrovian Society 2007-2014

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Burg and Warden are my 2 favourite classes, but if you're looking for a class that's a bit more straight forward you could look into champion, hunter or guardian. In the end none of the classes are extremely hard to master, but there's a lot of skills to keep track of and rotations to remember.

• Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Handgimp wrote: »
    Alright next question - i have my level 24 warden but that class seems really complicated to play well. Any recommendations on class, or stick with warden? I have a burglar that's around that level also.

Aldo is correct about champs, hunters, and guards. That said, should you be interested in utilizing the power of rock 'n' roll to kill motherfuckers, you may consider rolling a minstrel. They are the tiny gods of Middle Earth, always handy in a pinch, and you'll be very popular. Rune Keepers are also a lot of fun if you're into pewpew and force lightning while also having the ability to serve as a party's main healer.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Roll a captain. Live the dream.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    edited March 2012
    Double post.

Seidkona on
  • GlorntGlornt I'm the Bob Ross of Wombats. And I just had a "happy accident"... in my pants!Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I haven't played my warden yet since the new ranged gambits, but last I played it, it comes down to this: takes longer to kill mobs, but as long as I don't run out of power, I win.

With burglar, for a long time it was my least favorite class, but some of the cc abilities have been upgraded to be effective against additional foes, which helps against multiple foes. Still, burglar doesn't become really fun until you get your legendary skills, around mid 40s. Coincidentally, this is around the level warden started becoming less fun (or more accurately, started failing to keep up with other classes getting better).

If you want a simpler tank class, take guardian; if you want a simpler dps class, take hunter or champ. Or, unless they gimped it in the last update, minstrel in warspeech mode is pretty badass dps, and can drop out of warspeech to be a healer. My favorite two classes are captain and LM, but if you find warden complicated, you probably won't like these, either -- at least not at lower levels.

Edit: I wrote the above before seeing Aldo's, Trip's and Ent's replies; looks like I agree with all three on different points. Also, see my updated sig... only two left at 53 (RK will be task mule until he hits 54), and I might even play again before next weekend...

Glornt on
    LOTRO (Landroval): Clontarf (62 Batman), Theorwald (60 LM), Glornt (56 guardian), Onzlo (58 minstrel), Porthian (54 warden), Vilric (54 burglar), Feyerborn (54 hunter), Rudkin (54 champ), Limnon (53 RK)
    Glorntisms
    Warden update has improved their DPS and survivability significantly, @Glornt. And Dark Before The Dawn is now usable regardless of how much morale you have, which alleviates your power problems a bit.

Basically, we are now more on par with guardians than before. Wardens and cockroaches worldwide: rejoice.

• HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Warden update has improved their DPS and survivability significantly, @Glornt. And Dark Before The Dawn is now usable regardless of how much morale you have, which alleviates your power problems a bit.

Basically, we are now more on par with guardians than before. Wardens and cockroaches worldwide: rejoice.

Once I figured out the the masteries thing, it became a lot easier to keep up a HoT and shield buff if necessary. Easily handling 3 even-level signatures right now, just takes a while to burn them down. Spent yesterday grinding class skills and spent the turbine points on to unlock class deed grinding. Worth it, as I now have all the class deeds available at level 26 accomplished. Now to figure out which class traits to slot.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
    Let me get to about 20 in my HoM in guildwars and I'll come back and spend some more time in Middle Earth.

• Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    And Dark Before The Dawn is now usable regardless of how much morale you have

Wait, what? No more surfing the 50? Holy crap, Wardens soloing errthing errday.

Steam: simon moon
  • Shifty_CalhounShifty_Calhoun Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Has anyone else tried rescuing Bi'li or the other guy from those giant horn trees in the gorge? I cant beat them on my own. They are just like a captain of an outpost in the moors.

EDIT (hours later)

Well I beat one of them solo.... I cant beat the second one due to my endurance of stone cooldown.

I only beat the first one due to buying perks.

I feel so DIRTY.

Shifty_Calhoun on
    they should have a little store icon above the guy's head that you can click on.

It would be a different story if there were more active kin members.

Has anyone else tried rescuing Bi'li or the other guy from those giant horn trees in the gorge? I cant beat them on my own. They are just like a captain of an outpost in the moors.

EDIT (hours later)

Well I beat one of them solo.... I cant beat the second one due to my endurance of stone cooldown.

I only beat the first one due to buying perks.

I feel so DIRTY.
    Congrats, you just solo'd a small fellowship quest. The quests are intended for 3 players.

• GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    So any idea why I would be unable to create an account? As filling all my details and clicking the sign up button just takes me back to the sign up page. I downloaded the cilent but onviously can't log in as ive yet to create an account to log into.
    If i try to create an account on the turbine page they ask for a product key, but I dont have one because its free to play and you need to buy the game to get one?

• The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So I was trying Warhammer online, because I love Warhammer. I was so, so desperate to love that game, but I just wasn't actually having fun.

I tried to look up a pile of other games and decided to download this.

It was fun immediately!

@GaryO I had the same problem last night and eventually it said "processing"
    Apparently it could be a traffic issue or what have you, just keep trying every 10 minutes

The Black Hunter on
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    So I was trying Warhammer online, because I love Warhammer. I was so, so desperate to love that game, but I just wasn't actually having fun.

It was fun immediately!

Apparently it could be a traffic issue or what have you, just keep trying every 10 minutes

So 2 days of trying to create an acount and nothing. I make one forum post about not being able to and then bingo, its working, typical!

• The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    GaryO wrote: »

It was fun immediately!

So 2 days of trying to create an acount and nothing. I make one forum post about not being able to and then bingo, its working, typical!

Yeah basically, I finally got my account at like 3 am, then I stayed up waaaaaay too late playing :P

I had plenty of fun on the weekend stomping trees and am up to the roots of fanghorn quest and also up to ally with the riders of stangard.

It was good to see a few people on line too. Hope to see you around more often guys!

Limlight Gorge is surprisingly enjoyable to just run through. It is [1] dangerous to go alone and [2] there's 2 deeds that require you to sift through the nooks and crannies of the zone looking for clickable objects and discovering places. It's also a relatively long rep-grind, meaning the place will remain busy for some time. I mean, it's now full of people who want to be kindred within a week, but everyone else with other responsibilities in their life will be stuck there a lot longer.

edited March 2012
    So I logged in the other night to both my warden and runekeeper.

Runekeeper survivability went up exponentially with the ability to use writ of health at any attunement. That one change alone made the class so much better.

My warden went to a trainer and all I can do is say zomg buttons. I like that he's much more survivable than he used to be in combat but I'm not sure what anything really does at this point. Big thumbs up.

Seidkona on
    Limlight Gorge is surprisingly enjoyable to just run through. It is [1] dangerous to go alone and [2] there's 2 deeds that require you to sift through the nooks and crannies of the zone looking for clickable objects and discovering places. It's also a relatively long rep-grind, meaning the place will remain busy for some time. I mean, it's now full of people who want to be kindred within a week, but everyone else with other responsibilities in their life will be stuck there a lot longer.

Yeah I went out with a group that are using alts and are family people etc

I have said it and cant say it enough: The LOTRO community rocks.

• TamorlaneTamorlane Gnnr The Halls of MontezumaRegistered User regular
    So this may be a tad late to the dance given the exalted levels most of the Barrovians seem to have already attained, but I have (literally) stacks of class trophies if anyone needs any. For everything but hunter, since I am trying to be one of them. Will drop them in the house this week if there is room.

I'm level 18 Captain on a free trial on Landroval

I want to start doing cool stuff soon though, green fields and bandits are getting a little dull :(

I'm level 18 Captain on a free trial on Landroval

I want to start doing cool stuff soon though, green fields and bandits are getting a little dull :(

Been to Great Barrows instance yet? Are you following the main story line?

Both of these have plenty of opponents that are more interesting than the Common Bandit.

Level 18 is a good level to hit the barrow fields.

Awesome I'll do that just once I've cleared up a couple quests

edited April 2012
    My client's borked. I'm probably gonna have to re-install. Bah.

Seidkona on
    I won two horses. :3

My winnings in the lottery dictate my play-time at the moment. Even though the new area is a huge improvement, I can't be arsed to play lotro over guild wars...

I got the client to run after some wrangling.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Had fun this weekend shocking stuff in the face. Question for anyone that has a RK. Do they always have the ability to shrug off 2-3 mobs or more mobs like they are nothing? Because I had 4 spiders on me while questing by Nog and I went through them like they were butter. My hunter in the 40s is such a damn weakling physically that if I get 2 mobs I have to fight for my life it seems. My RK is still in his teens. I am wondering if I should level him or focus on trying to power the hunter through the 40s slog.

Jubal77 wrote: »
    Had fun this weekend shocking stuff in the face. Question for anyone that has a RK. Do they always have the ability to shrug off 2-3 mobs or more mobs like they are nothing? Because I had 4 spiders on me while questing by Nog and I went through them like they were butter. My hunter in the 40s is such a damn weakling physically that if I get 2 mobs I have to fight for my life it seems. My RK is still in his teens. I am wondering if I should level him or focus on trying to power the hunter through the 40s slog.

The recent update to writs have made them incredibly hearty. Before the change I had some difficulty on my RK but after the change I barely have many situations I even have to drop my healing rock. Writ of Health just takes care of it for me.

Every class has the potential to kill 3 mobs at once, but require on vastly different mechanisms to achieve that goal. For your hunter you would have to work with traps, while on your RK you can nuke them with AoE and maybe stun them for a short while.

Thanks man. Do they weaken in the 40s very hard? Ive noticed that most classes tend to have problems with the increased mob health and dmg in the 40s. My hunter has the Lem set and teal bow from Evendim and I am having problems getting the beginner quests done in Forochel because you get multiples with some of them... sometimes with a sig too that causes him to eat dirt.

Yea, I think the difficulty of mobs ramps up in the 40s, but it's possible to get to 45 doing easier quests in different areas (assuming you're a subscriber or have a lot of quest packs) and then unlock the awesome rewards from the prologue to volume 2 (including legendary items)

• GlorntGlornt I'm the Bob Ross of Wombats. And I just had a "happy accident"... in my pants!Registered User regular
    Thanks man. Do they weaken in the 40s very hard? Ive noticed that most classes tend to have problems with the increased mob health and dmg in the 40s. My hunter has the Lem set and teal bow from Evendim and I am having problems getting the beginner quests done in Forochel because you get multiples with some of them... sometimes with a sig too that causes him to eat dirt.
    My experience was that the classes I found more difficult at the beginning (Captain, LM, Burg) kind of "toughened up" around 40 or so, partly due to acquisition of legendary trait skills, while some that I had found very easy (Warden, Hunter, RK, Champ) didn't quite keep up as well. Guardian has been pretty steady all along, and Minstrel was kind of in the middle until the RoI upgrade turned him into Superman. I haven't really played my Warden or RK since their revamps in the last patch, have been playing around in Forochel with my Champ because I kind of passed that area by with my top guys, and it's too nice to ignore.

LOTRO (Landroval): Clontarf (62 Batman), Theorwald (60 LM), Glornt (56 guardian), Onzlo (58 minstrel), Porthian (54 warden), Vilric (54 burglar), Feyerborn (54 hunter), Rudkin (54 champ), Limnon (53 RK)
    Glorntisms
    Every class has the potential to kill 3 mobs at once, but require on vastly different mechanisms to achieve that goal. For your hunter you would have to work with traps, while on your RK you can nuke them with AoE and maybe stun them for a short while.

With my hunter I can only lay traps when out of battle... at least it looks like they grey out after I am in battle. That means I would have to use on use traps and kiting which makes it a little meh in my book. My guardian is mid 40s and is plugging along at a good pace but I was going to try out some of the other classes to see if I could find a class that truly excites me. I may just end up returning to my Guard but so far RK is fun. I have pretty much all classes other than RK and Burg up into the 30s or so.

• psolmspsolms Registered User regular

With my hunter I can only lay traps when out of battle... at least it looks like they grey out after I am in battle. That means I would have to use on use traps and kiting which makes it a little meh in my book. My guardian is mid 40s and is plugging along at a good pace but I was going to try out some of the other classes to see if I could find a class that truly excites me. I may just end up returning to my Guard but so far RK is fun. I have pretty much all classes other than RK and Burg up into the 30s or so.

i stopped playing my hunter because it got impossible to solo most areas. i started feeling the pressure of it around level 40, but managed to press through (mostly with skirms) to 45, which let me work on the legendary items, but that (and the erigion quests) only took me to about 52/53 before it was impossible to solo again, and i havent played since.

i wanted to try moria, but i heard it was even worse for soloing, and so i seriously just lost all motivation to play that character (and by extension, the game)

I haven't brought my hunter in there yet, but for Cappy, LM, Warden, Guard, Mini, and Burg, I haven't found Moria to be noticeably more difficult than what comes before. There is a solo instance that I barely squeaked by on with Cappy and have been a little chicken to try with my other guys, and there are some considerations to take into account (those things that knock you back can cause fatal falls, so positioning is important against them), and there are a couple of spots where sigs respawn a bit more quickly than I'd been used to, but I think these are just reasonable challenges, not huge leaps in difficulty. The biggest challenge may be navigation; it's really easy to get turned around down there. Make sure you get a goat mount, or it'll be a royal pain.

Still, yeah... Hunter and RK are a little fragile, but you should still be able to at least get through the first few areas in Moria okay. It might be a good idea to pack on an extra level or two, either by skirms (which I haven't done) or playing through some neglected areas, as I've been doing with my Champ in Forochel -- after all that time underground (even my house is in the dwarven caves), it's kind of fun to play outside in the snow.

Glorntisms
    Yeah my mini is my highest character. He is sitting at 54 or so. I havent had any problems with Moria yet. I might have got turned around once or twice but that is the fun of MMO RPGs right? :) I like my Champ as well but while playing him I always thought it was a race to see who could out dmg first and not die against mob(s). My little Hobbit Guard is my vanilla release char that still exists and he is a little can of tank but is slow going.

I had an RK at 16 before but it was an Elf and I wanted him to be a Dwarf so I made him new. I just did the first class quest which I had tons of problems with pre last fix but I just flew through it this time.

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Did a Lord Of the Rings Extended version marathon with the fiancée this weekend and of course I ended up wanting to play again. So I patched, fired up the game and was hit with Terrible stuttering/hitching.

I thought it was my connection at first but I had no packet loss, ping in the 100ms. Ok graphics maybe.. quit the game, updated my video card drivers (GTX460, windows 7 64, 8gb of RAM)
    didn't make a difference, bumped down the settings to low, no change.

I hit the forums to see if anyone else had this problem, and I found stuff from back in 2009, 2010 but not a whole lot recent. Finally just uninstalled the game and I will redownload the whole thing and reinstall. Very strange as I only played it last in December (right before SWTOR came out) and everything was fine, never had a problem with the game ever.

Hopefully the full reinstall will correct the issue as I still have this Lotro itch to scratch.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041