As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX EAST 2012 FAQ AND INFORMATION THREAD. (PLEASE ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• blackstock6blackstock6 Registered User new member
    sorry, don' know how to do his- I'm old.

• jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    I am taking 2 16 year olds from the sticks to PAX East.Sadly, I got a Priceline Hotel that SAID it had a shuttle, but it doesn't. I have no pass, and I don't care about it at all, I am old. What is the best and safest way to get them back and forth from Fairmont Battery Wharf without going myself? We do not know Boston at all.

The Fairmont Battery Wharf is near the T, but it might take you longer to take the T than to walk.

It's a bit of a hike, but if the weather holds up, it's a lovely walk. You can actually follow the Harborwalk path (look up the area on Google Maps) the entire way to South Boston from the North End - I spent many days after work doing this walk when I worked downtown. You can also catch a cab to and from there for relatively inexpensive, as it is only about 2 miles.

The best part about staying near there is the food is much better; you can easily get an arancini or slice of Sicilian pizza to eat that is filling and spend a fraction of the cost you would eating at the BCEC.

PAX East '10-16 Pokecrawl || Team Green's Awesome PokeProf!
    PAX Prime '10-'13 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Hufflepuff Head of House!
    Twitter: @jujukoo
    [E]
  • KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    I am taking 2 16 year olds from the sticks to PAX East.Sadly, I got a Priceline Hotel that SAID it had a shuttle, but it doesn't. I have no pass, and I don't care about it at all, I am old. What is the best and safest way to get them back and forth from Fairmont Battery Wharf without going myself? We do not know Boston at all.

Honestly, I'd just take a cab. It's a half mile to your nearest T stop (Haymarket), but then you have to switch from the Orange to the Red line, and Red line to Silver line. Plus, if you're letting them stay out for the concerts, the T will have shut down by the time the concerts get out. Otherwise, it's a 1.7 mile walk all the way there, which, being young, might be plausible.

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Looks like that hotel offers a free airport shuttle. You can take the T from the airport or it's about a 15 min walk to the Haymarket Station and take the T from there. mbta.com. Other option is a taxi or water taxi. Look at the hotel website and they give your some transportation options.

JerYnkFan on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    JerYnkFan wrote: »

Looks like that hotel offers a free airport shuttle. You can take the T to airport or it's about a 15 min walk to the Haymarket Station and take the T from there. mbta.com. Other option is a taxi or water taxi. Look at the hotel website and they give your some transportation options.

I don't think an airport shuttle helps them much when trying to get to and from PAX.

• AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know if they said anything about allowing/stopping closed off booths on the expo hall this year (the ones where you had to go inside some sort of sealed structure to watch/play the demo they were showing). I know after prime a lot of people were unhappy with the lines the closed off booths caused (bioware, I'm looking at you), but did anyone ever say whether they were banning that sort of thing this year?

Asiina wrote: »
    Does anyone know if they said anything about allowing/stopping closed off booths on the expo hall this year (the ones where you had to go inside some sort of sealed structure to watch/play the demo they were showing). I know after prime a lot of people were unhappy with the lines the closed off booths caused (bioware, I'm looking at you), but did anyone ever say whether they were banning that sort of thing this year?

I would guess that as long as the company in question can effectively manage their own line, it would be allowed still, but I haven't heard one way or another. It's a pretty typical trade show thing, to have a private portion of a booth, so I would be surprised to see it go away entirely.

zerzhul wrote: »

Looks like that hotel offers a free airport shuttle. You can take the T to airport or it's about a 15 min walk to the Haymarket Station and take the T from there. mbta.com. Other option is a taxi or water taxi. Look at the hotel website and they give your some transportation options.

I don't think an airport shuttle helps them much when trying to get to and from PAX.

You can take the SL1 bus from Logan Airport to the World Trade Center and walk the couple of blocks to Convention Center

• dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular

You can take the SL1 bus from Logan Airport to the World Trade Center and walk the couple of blocks to Convention Center
    That's a round about way to get there, but it doesn't solve the coming back after the T stops problem.

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    dyaballikl wrote: »

That's a round about way to get there, but it doesn't solve the coming back after the T stops problem.

Well then I guess he'll have to take a taxi. I was giving the guy some options. I didn't say it would be ideal. Guess that's what I get for trying to be helpful.

dyaballikl wrote: »

Well then I guess he'll have to take a taxi. I was giving the guy some options. I didn't say it would be ideal. Guess that's what I get for trying to be helpful.

Take it easy, nobody is crapping on your point, he was just saying it was incomplete.

• bushisprezbushisprez Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Is there likely to be a huge detour before the convention center or at the JFK tunnel? Is their any signage on the I-93 or JFk tunnel that will help guide to the convention like what exit to take? Did this happen to anyone driving last year? I'd hate to have printed google map directions and find out a detour happened.

bushisprez on
    [x] Hotel booked
    [x] Ride Booked
    [x] 3-day Pass
    Will be more prepared than ever for the show than the previous year. XP!!!!!
    bushisprez wrote: »
    Is there likely to be a huge detour before the convention center or at the JFK tunnel? Is their any signage on the I-93 or JFk tunnel that will help guide to the convention like what exit to take? Did this happen to anyone driving last year? I'd hate to have printed google map directions and find out a detour happened.

There was no special signage that I saw for PAX last year on the Thursday prior to the con. The BCEC is pretty fucking hard to miss once you get close. I think there are signs for the BCEC on the highway, or at least for the world trade center area.

• croshorecroshore Registered User new member
    How long will it take for people who applied to be an enforcer to hear back?

croshore wrote: »
    How long will it take for people who applied to be an enforcer to hear back?

It probably depends on when you applied, but I'm pretty sure all the east enforcers would have been contacted by now. I don't know for sure though.

• repeterepete Registered User regular
    does anyone one know the how long it is between concert performances is it almost instantaneous or like an hour

• gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular

There was no special signage that I saw for PAX last year on the Thursday prior to the con. The BCEC is pretty fucking hard to miss once you get close. I think there are signs for the BCEC on the highway, or at least for the world trade center area.

There are indeed signs on most major roads into Boston that show the way to get to the BCEC. Also the electronic signs will usually state that traffic for "BCEC Event" should take the specific exit.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • MagnifiedXMagnifiedX [E] PC Security Boston, MARegistered User regular

There are signs EVERYWHERE for the BCEC on the highways. Once you get off the highways, there will be lit signage directing you to the BCEC (If Boston issues another traffic advisory this year, which they more than likely will.)

• GrimmTrixXGrimmTrixX Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ok i know we have to wait, but its only 11 days away! i want to know what I should be practicing in Pac man championship, or what maps and what match type Doom will be (2v2, 4v4). I mean PC has their stuff up! Please! i dont want to practice all week only time find out its something completely different. So if any info is ready for console and handheld tournaments, please let us know. thank you

GrimmTrixX on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    repete wrote: »
    does anyone one know the how long it is between concert performances is it almost instantaneous or like an hour

I wanna say like 20 minutes.

• crimsong19crimsong19 New YorkRegistered User regular
    I'm surmising that Bill Amend won't be at this year's PAX East. Am I surmising right?

PAX East status: Hotel [X] Three-day passes [] Two one-day passes [X] Cookie recipes [X] Transportation [X]
  • TheEnd004500TheEnd004500 Registered User new member
    edited March 2012
    What came in the mail for me was the PAX Three Day badge and a paper with some info on it. Just want to make sure that there is nothing missing there.

Was there suppose to be something else with it?

TheEnd004500 on
  • peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    crimsong19 wrote: »
    I'm surmising that Bill Amend won't be at this year's PAX East. Am I surmising right?

Yes. Based on the content of your post, I do believe you are properly surmising.

As for Bill Amend, we don't know more than what has been released, so if he is not on the schedule, then he probably will not be there in any official capacity. Has he said anything either way on his website? I would just hit him up on twitter and straight up ask him.

7B14287.png
  • NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    I can't say for sure about this year, but in previous years that's been all there was in the envelope.

• peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    What came in the mail for me was the PAX Three Day badge and a paper with some info on it. Just want to make sure that there is nothing missing there.

No.

7B14287.png
  • TheEnd004500TheEnd004500 Registered User new member
    peetsnack wrote: »

No.

Thanks a ton man! Just was a bit nervous about that. I'm a first timer at PAX, been planning on going to PAX East since last year! :)

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    jshirland wrote: »
    Does anybody know anything about the "League Block" tabletop tournaments?

As it has been explained to me, the most relevant example is like the Dominion Challenge League we held at PAX Prime. But since I'm sure many PAX Easters (lol pun) weren't at Prime, the basic idea is that there are a series of customized scenarios for each game in the block that you need to complete over the course of the weekend; complete the scenarios to get placed for the finals on Sunday, where the winner becomes TEH ULTIMATE CHAMPION OF THE WORLD (but not really; I don't actually know what awards/prizes we have this year)!

Hopefully that answers your question. Hope to see you there :D

Edit: And just to head off the likely second question, there are some typical standalone three-round tournaments for a few select games as well (indicated on the schedule). The idea with the league setup is that it gives lots of people a chance to compete and do it on their own time, instead of having to commit half of their day to a single tourney; but we know not everyone may prefer that (such as not being available on Sunday, for example), so fear not. Tournaments for everyone!

Nullzone on
  • LlanowarLlanowar Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Nullzone wrote: »
    jshirland wrote: »
    Does anybody know anything about the "League Block" tabletop tournaments?

As it has been explained to me, the most relevant example is like the Dominion Challenge League we held at PAX Prime. But since I'm sure many PAX Easters (lol pun) weren't at Prime, the basic idea is that there are a series of customized scenarios for each game in the block that you need to complete over the course of the weekend; complete the scenarios to get placed for the finals on Sunday, where the winner becomes TEH ULTIMATE CHAMPION OF THE WORLD (but not really; I don't actually know what awards/prizes we have this year)!

Hopefully that answers your question. Hope to see you there :D

Edit: And just to head off the likely second question, there are some typical standalone three-round tournaments for a few select games as well (indicated on the schedule). The idea with the league setup is that it gives lots of people a chance to compete and do it on their own time, instead of having to commit half of their day to a single tourney; but we know not everyone may prefer that (such as not being available on Sunday, for example), so fear not. Tournaments for everyone!

Thanks for posting the answer to this question Nullzone! Just to clarify one point there will be a final round for each of the twelve games, so you can play just one game or you can play them all.

As Nullzone mentioned this format will allow us to let any number of people play in a tournament that they want and we won't have to turn anyone away.

Llanowar on
    enforceruserbareast.png

"One bone broken for every twig snapped underfoot"
    -Llanowar punishment for trespassing.
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    For people who are new here. Your threads have been moved to the FAQ thread. ALL QUESTIONS should be asked in this thread.

DO NOT MAKE NEW THREADS FOR YOUR QUESTION.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Crazy_FilmmakerCrazy_Filmmaker Registered User new member
    edited March 2012
    Hey all,

I ordered 2 Friday and 2 Staurday passes back in January for PAX East. Then about 2 weeks ago, decided to get an additional Sunday Pass. However, I checked my mailbox today (school mailbos where I sent them) and I only received the Sunday pass. I sent an email to the Pax Questions address, but has this happened to anyone? And is there any way I can get this resolved?

Much appreciated :)

Crazy_Filmmaker on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    Please post questions in the FAQ.

also, pax_questions is the only source which could help you at this point. We don't know the answer to your question

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
    edited March 2012
    Hey all,

I ordered 2 Friday and 2 Staurday passes back in January for PAX East. Then about 2 weeks ago, decided to get an additional Sunday Pass. However, I checked my mailbox today (school mailbos where I sent them) and I only received the Sunday pass. I sent an email to the Pax Questions address, but has this happened to anyone? And is there any way I can get this resolved?

Much appreciated :)

It may simply come in another envelope since it was a separate order. They are not mailed in any special order.

zerzhul on
  • benswimmingbenswimming PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    GrimmTrixX wrote: »
    Ok i know we have to wait, but its only 11 days away! i want to know what I should be practicing in Pac man championship, or what maps and what match type Doom will be (2v2, 4v4). I mean PC has their stuff up! Please! i dont want to practice all week only time find out its something completely different. So if any info is ready for console and handheld tournaments, please let us know. thank you

The guidebook app for the phones has all the tournaments listed in it, and yes it has the console tournaments listed as well.

PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
    Twitter: sweeneyben
    XBL: Disco Ball
  • ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User regular
    Do any of you guys bring your laptops to PAX? I finally have one that's actually pretty nice, and i know those lines can get long... but would it be too clunky? I love my smartphone and all but sometimes it's nice to have a full web experience, etc.

PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
    ottoman673 wrote: »
    Do any of you guys bring your laptops to PAX? I finally have one that's actually pretty nice, and i know those lines can get long... but would it be too clunky? I love my smartphone and all but sometimes it's nice to have a full web experience, etc.

The one time I brought my laptop, it never left my hotel room. I may bring a tablet, but my smartphone has always been enough for me.

• ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User regular

The one time I brought my laptop, it never left my hotel room. I may bring a tablet, but my smartphone has always been enough for me.

I see.

I guess my other draw would be being able to play LoL or whatnot in a line, or just to unwind.. but the BCEC's Wifi would probably not like that so much. Haha.

PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
  • JayDfromMAJayDfromMA MARegistered User regular
    I am sure all is well. I panicked after I did not receive mine on Friday only to receive it on Sat.

• jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    I see.

I guess my other draw would be being able to play LoL or whatnot in a line, or just to unwind.. but the BCEC's Wifi would probably not like that so much. Haha.
    The Wifi won't be great; your lag will be much too high to play most/any online games while in line. Web browsing will be doable though, so turn-based web games like fallenlondon.com should work fine. Having a laptop to play offline games in line could be cool though. It really just depends on if you want to carry you laptop around or not.

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    Asiina wrote: »
    I would guess that as long as the company in question can effectively manage their own line, it would be allowed still, but I haven't heard one way or another. It's a pretty typical trade show thing, to have a private portion of a booth, so I would be surprised to see it go away entirely.
    Zerzhul is correct. Booths are welcome to have closed-off sections (and it is unlikely they will ever be banned), but they are supposed to have crowd management plans in effect (even if they don't have any closed-off sections).

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • CocoDaPufCocoDaPuf Registered User new member
    I got a Console Freeplay (CFP) question here.

Is there any way to play non-disc (like downloadable) games at the CFP area? The thing is, I've been hearing amazing things about this game Journey, But it's PS3 only, and I don't own one.

So I guess I'd like to request the game for the pax cfp area, but if that isn't possible, I understand.