As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E - Recruitment] GIANT ANTS Recruitment - 1 Leader, 1 Striker.

tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Critical Failures
G I A N T ¤ A N T S
ITS FRAKKING ANTS, MAN.

YES THE NAME OF THE GAME IS IN ALL CAPS. This is a game about giant ants, and of course other monsters, attacking a town. This thread is a template recruitment thread for a Striker and Leader spots. If you are interested in playing a Striker or Leader in a pbp game, please see below:

A. A bunch of sentences that describe how the game is run.
Table:
Current title: GIANT ANTS COLON ITS FRAKKING ANTS, MAN.
Time Zone: I live in the Eastern Standard Time Zone, so the play time will kind of be more favorable to that zone. (8am-12am) or something similar to that, assuming RL doesn't kick my ass.
Starting Level: You will be level 6.
Creation rules: Standard level 6 starting rules.
Target start: Already active.
Medium: PBP only
Maptool version: N/A
Maptools Session Length: N/A
The Table - Rules: Not too serious/rigid interpretation of the ruleset.
The Table - Content: Stuff!
Difficulty: It's random.
Experience Required: A basic understanding of how to play would be great?
Books Required: Any 4E content is allowed, at my discretion. Don't be a dick?

List of preferred races:
  • All PHB Races.
  • All PHB2 Races, yes. even Deva.

Other races that are available within normal player material (IE: Non MM races) are okay too, but I would prefer a PHB or PHB2 raced char. While it goes without saying, choosing a race that is insectoid in nature/appearance when the game is about killing giant insects is probably a bad idea. Could it work? Sure, but it would take a lot to make it so.

List of acceptable classes:
  • I am looking for a leader and a striker.
  • This game has the amenities and tech level of an late 1800s era civilization, including indoor plumbing.

The party dynamic:

There's a big dumb guy, a very smart smart aloof gnome and a magical farmboy.

Here are their names/class/etc:

Inutchuk (Fighter, Martial, Goliath, Defender) [Horseshoe] (Sheet)
Giant ants meet giant... man.

Professor Nim (Wizard, Arcane, Gnome, Controller) [Lord Palington] (Sheet)
He's a professor!

Quinnten (Sorcerer, Arcane, Human, Striker) [SnowSquall] (Sheet)
Once a farmer, now a sorcerer, beware his frosty dragon breath.

B. What am I looking for?
To the extent that is reasonably possible, I would say being able to post at least once a day is a must. Being able to post more would be nice. I'm fairly active during the weekdays with posting, barring any unusual RL circumstances or being busy. I don't expect you to live and breathe this, it's just a game ffs, but yea... it is just a game, meaning if you don't post you shouldn't feel slighted if you're replaced or whatever.

Really important note: activity includes non-combat. Despite its brevity and absurdity, it's still a roleplaying game. A party full of strong, silent types is not what I'm looking for, even with this game. All characters should be made with the baseline assumption that they will join a group for this adventure. Also, no evil characters. So, what am I looking for at this point?

A post, with the following responses:
1) Current pbp games you are in or run. If you feel you were awesome in some game or whatever you can mention past ones too?
2) Availability M-F for maek post, and time zone you are in.
3) A brief description of your leader or striker character's appearance and personality.
4) You're walking down the street of a crowded marketplace. It's a bright, sunny day. You feel good. As you walk you're approached by a halfling. The little guy smiles pleasantly at you. He's balancing a tray on his head that has several small vials atop it. After greeting you and in a display of surprising balance, he hands you one of the potions. He tells you it's a free sample and that "it'll make you run faster and jump higher!" Then he just smiles at you, waiting for you quaff it… (Behind a spoiler, reply in character to that).

You don't need to fully generate a character, I don't expect one here. Just what I asked for in this post is fine. You don't need to reserve a post, not like there's a line or whatever. It's highly likely that my recruiting pattern for this will continue to skew towards people who haven't had a chance to be in any games though (just in general). I would prefer that you only put in one submission here per person. The deadline for this will be next Friday (3/23/12).

So in summary: I'm looking for a leader and striker character, it would be level 6. A brief post with what I asked for in part B is sufficient. Please do not PM me with your concept and if you have any other questions about this just post them here, thanks!

You will start out on a boat.

PS: No Shaman.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
tastydonuts on

• Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Hi tasty! Me make for this m'kay?

A post, with the following responses:
    1) Current pbp games you are in or run. If you feel you were awesome in some game or whatever you can mention past ones too?
    Currently in your Zephyr game! Also the Lair assault Aegis is doing that is almost over and the Lookouts lvl 0 game Denada is doing that is about done as well. Revolutions: Arcane with Daniant is my other ongoing game that I don't expect to end soon *fingers crossed*.

Pacific time. Can usually post during work and in the evening, so...10am to 2am possibly your time.

3) A brief description of your leader or striker character's appearance and personality.
    Lendara is what could possibly be the most annoying thing imaginable, an immortal nerd. If she wasn't so darned friendly, she would be. Her clothing is lined with bits of wire poking out here and there from the leather. The light purple shade of her skin gives some pause for a moment, wondering if she is Deva, or has just been holding her breath too long.

She loves to use her machinations to help others, and will talk your ear off if you inquire about them.

4) You're walking down the street of a crowded marketplace. It's a bright, sunny day. You feel good. As you walk you're approached by a halfling. The little guy smiles pleasantly at you. He's balancing a tray on his head that has several small vials atop it. After greeting you and in a display of surprising balance, he hands you one of the potions. He tells you it's a free sample and that "it'll make you run faster and jump higher!" Then he just smiles at you, waiting for you quaff it… (Behind a spoiler, reply in character to that).
    "Oh thank you kind sir!" Lendar exclaims excitedly, using the moment to quickly scrutinize the potion both arcanely and chemically, downing it once she is relatively sure it is safe. "Shall I give it a try?" she queries, getting into a jumping stance, "I'd like to see if it is more potent than my own, you know I'm quite the alchemist myself, in fact I've been meaning to have someone test some of my potions, would you be up to it? Of course you would! Now here, drink this...oh my...umm..."

Anialos on
  • Options
    You want to be in both games? You are a brave man. :P

• Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Brave...crazy...same thing =p.

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    1) I'm currently playing in the Lair Assault PbP, but it should end soon. EDIT- Looks to be over now.
    2) I'm available to post at least once a day during the week: Lunchtime (11am-12pm) and after 3pm until 9pm. (All EST)
    3) Reed Riversong is a charming young halfling. Not too tall and not too short, he's the very ideal of what a halfling should be. His long brown hair is unbraided but bound in a knot at the nape of his neck. He wears brown and green armor with images of streams and  river life worked into the leather. Generally kind to others, he's notoriously nasty when he feels he's been lied to or cheated. He has a tendency to rub the pommel of his shortsword when he feels threatened.
    4)
    Reed takes the vial and examines it closely before berating the other halfling, "Corrin...I told you last time I don't like your swill and no matter how many times you tell me it will make me faster and jump higher, it still won't be true. You need to spend more time on learning to handle a boat and less time making ineffective strength potions. Uncle Perrin is going to be really mad if you've used up all the cinnamon again." Eventually, Reed can't hold it anymore and cracks a smile. "How many longshanks have you bilked with this scam today? Don't forget to pack it in before nightfall, we have to be setting off for the next town at first light and there's a lot of stuff to take care of at the docks before bed.

Nealneal on
  • Options
    Okies, so recruitining will close for this next Friday (3/23/12).

• Options
    wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    If I recall correctly, this game is more mud-based than sewage-based, right?

Though I guess there's not much difference, in the long run...

• Options
    lol... this one went, more or less:

Muddy Hole -> Forest -> Rat infested farm -> Oddly Spacious Mansion -> Muddy Outpost -> A lot of City -> "On a boat"

Story wise, the invasion itself has been driven back, and when it resumes would be more a matter of:

a) figuring out where they came from/why they came
    b) making sure they don't return.

with an encounter larger monster pool (since the ants are driven back).

...does an aqueduct count as a sewer?

• Options
    SrandicSrandic Registered User new member
    Sounds fun!

• Options
    I have to say that in all my years of running my games here I've never had a spot go uncontested, lol... should be interesting. Still gotta wait until next Friday though, as my RL time is still tapped and there's still prep work required (maps mostly) for the next leg of this game.

• Options
    Is it too late for another entry?

• Options
    ONLY IF YOU WANT TO RUIN THE UNIQUENESS OF THIS SITUATION!

you're fine... if you want to be in two games that I'm running. I think that's weird but Anialos apped too so, yeah. :P

Next Friday is the day!

• Options
    Ahaha, the only ones brave enough to app for tasty's game are people in one!

• Options
    What the hell, I'll put it up anyway...

1) I'm in the Zephyr game currently. There are also a couple of other games, "Siege of the Underdeep" and "The End of the World", which have been idle for the last few months.

2) I'm in PST, and I'm available days and evenings for posting.

3) Description!
    Bahrnard Twigs (halfling executioner, sheet coming soon) is a dingy, quiet little man, who tends to look like he has bits of shadow stuck to him. His face is generally impassive and slow to respond, though his hands twitch and move in evocative, sometimes disturbing ways. He tends to be fairly literal-minded, with not much room for creativity outside his professional pursuits.

4) You're walking down the street of a crowded marketplace. It's a bright, sunny day. You feel good. As you walk you're approached by a halfling. The little guy smiles pleasantly at you. He's balancing a tray on his head that has several small vials atop it. After greeting you and in a display of surprising balance, he hands you one of the potions. He tells you it's a free sample and that "it'll make you run faster and jump higher!" Then he just smiles at you, waiting for you quaff it…
    Twigs stares back blankly for a few seconds, then says, "Oh. Right."

He puts the potion in his bag and rummages around in it briefly before coming out with a small, murky vial. "I have something for you, too," he says, as he tries to polish the vial with the corner of his shirt. He hands it to the halfling, who takes it, a bit confused.

"That one's a quality poison," Twigs says, pointing at the vial. "It'll kill you dead inside of thirty seconds." The halfling stares at him, wide-eyed and appalled. Twigs manages a weak smile in return.

• Options
    Anialos wrote: »
    Ahaha, the only ones brave enough to app for tasty's game are people in one!

He is the loneliest DM on the forams.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Just wanna throw my hat in the ring for the striker position! I'm at work right now, but I'll throw a character together just as soon as I have some free time (before the end of the weekend, ideally). Thinking Ranger. (...D&D has Rangers, right? I've only ever made two characters before...)

• Options
    godmode wrote: »
    Just wanna throw my hat in the ring for the striker position! I'm at work right now, but I'll throw a character together just as soon as I have some free time (before the end of the weekend, ideally). Thinking Ranger. (...D&D has Rangers, right? I've only ever made two characters before...)

Yes, Rangers are quite fun.

• Options
    I have really bad luck with D&D games, though. My first PbP: The DM disappeared by the third page. Second PbP: Applied, not accepted. First MapTools: Went on for about 4 or 5 sessions then the DM had to withdraw.

Soooo...if you accept me, you've been warned :P

• Options
    edited March 2012
    The WotC character builder is such fucking garbage. I can't type anywhere inside the builder window on my Mac.

Update: I can't type anywhere inside the builder window on my Mac in Chrome.

Character is about halfway done!

godmode on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    None! No PBPs or MapTools or live games. I've tried on a few different occasions to break into D&D as a hobby and have had bad luck every time.
    Eastern Standard time. Available to make posts often daily. I work 2300-0700 in a low-demand network ops job, so I have access to the forums several hours every night. And since I'm at home a lot taking care of a young puppy, I have plenty of time during normal hours to play as well. I typically sleep from 0800-1300, and then take another nap later in the afternoon.
    Bartholomew (Human Ranger) is a plain young man, just under 6' in height adorned in sturdy clothing that provide function over form. He is resourceful from a life living off the land, and is knowledgeable in the ways of nature. He enjoys sitting around a campfire and conversing with his companions, though he chooses his words carefully. He tends to be somewhat stubborn and set in his ways while maintaining a polite manner. He is accompanied by his black and gray wolf, Bongo, that he raised and domesticated from a pup. Bongo is highly intelligent and fiercely loyal to Bartholomew, and is quick to defend him in any unfriendly encounters.
    Bartholomew scowls at the vial he's handed before replacing it on the tray. "No, thank you. Put that garbage in another man's veins."

godmode on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Wait, this is PbP, not maptools? With all the talk of timezones and stuff, I was sure it was maptools.

Well, I'll put in an application in a little bit, then!

• Options
    hmm? yep. this is a pbp. I mention time zones and stuff because knowing the times that I can expect a post/read from a person helps with flow.

• Options
    edited March 2012

4e PbP games I am in:
    Just started a Keep on the Shadowfell game
    Other PbPs:
    SW Saga: The Dark Times
    SW Saga: Jabba's Palace
    Past 4e PbPs:
    A Point of Light was a good long running one I was lucky to be a part of.

I post lots, am online daily for much of the day. Eastern timezone.

"Gramps" is an old warrior (Human Warlord mechanically). He'd seen whole generations of young kids get themselves killed, and done his part to make sure that most of em were on the other side of the fight. He'd fought hispanics, he'd fought indians, and lately he'd fought bugs.

He's got a bunch of big metal scales strapped all over his body, and carries what seems to be an unsharpened piece of metal that passes for a sword (probably in much the same way as a long thin rock passes for a knife), and carries a big metal plate held in front of him. What is visible under the metal is wiry and gristly, and surprisingly in some places well muscled.

"If there's three things I know about fightin', it's this: One, you can't just charge in there with no plan an' expect things ta turn out well. Ya gotta out think the other guy, make 'im do what you want em to do. Second, you gotta know when ta' run, 'cause iffin' ya don't you're bound ta get out thunk or out luckied one day, an' then yer toast if ya stay."

"What's the third thing, Gramps?"

"Kids these days! Always thinkin' they know more than I do. Why, in my day, we didn't have more than 2 things to talk about on any subject- couldn't afford it, since we didn't have nothin' back then."

"I didn't get to be my age by drinkin' random potions from little people what balance trays on their heads!" said Grampa, with a cackle. "If there's two thing I know, it's that you don't trust people who gives ya stuff for free!" Tossing the vial back towards the tray, Grampa squinted at the halfling from behind his plates. "Now, if ya gots somethin' for the hemmoroids, I'd be much obliged to pay ya for some! You just better be sure it works before I do..."

El Skid on
  • Options
    Friday is here. So at this point I have the following:

Leaders

Lendara Sunelove (Deva/Leader, Arcane) : Anialos
    "Gramps" (Human, Warlord/Leader, Martial) : El Skid

Strikers
    Reed Riversong (Halfling, Thief/Striker, Martial) : Nealneal
    Bahrnard Twigs (Halfling, Executioner/Striker, Martial) : wildwood
    Bartholomew (Human, Ranger/Striker, Martial) : godmode

doubt anybody else is apping but I'll let you know my decision in any case prolly sunday/monday when I get a chance to really think about it. long workweeks makes the mind mushy.

• Options
    Suspense D:

• Options
    l3lasphemer69l3lasphemer69 Registered User regular
    1. No current PBPs, actually have never played one before, Would love to give one a shot!
    2. Available M-F, most times of the day. Central time zone
    3. A brief description of your leader or striker character's appearance and personality.
    Grulgor Wyrmsbane (Dragonborn Ardent) was found to be gifted from an early age. He excelled at his martial skills, but showed a mental clarity and strength that few possessed. Through years of study he was able to meld his combat prowess and mental strength to forge himself into a powerful dragonborn leader. Like many young dragonborn he yearned for adventure and to prove himself to his father as an able warrior and leader to his people. Grulgor stands at 6'2" and weights just under 300lbs. He covered in green scales and wears a suit of chainmail armor that barely covers his muscular frame. He carries a large shield and spear, and can use both with strength and purpose.

4. You're walking down the street of a crowded marketplace. It's a bright, sunny day. You feel good. As you walk you're approached by a halfling. The little guy smiles pleasantly at you. He's balancing a tray on his head that has several small vials atop it. After greeting you and in a display of surprising balance, he hands you one of the potions. He tells you it's a free sample and that "it'll make you run faster and jump higher!" Then he just smiles at you, waiting for you quaff it… (Behind a spoiler, reply in character to that).
    Grulgor gingerly accepts the small vial, "Run faster and jump higher you say little one?" He takes a whiff of the contents, and downs it in one gulp. After waiting a couple minutes, Grulgor says, "I am not feeling any different little man, what foul concoctions are you peddling here?" Grulgor grimaces, and hands the gnome back the vile and continues down the street. He ducks into an alley, looks around and tries to run and jump and see if the gnome is telling the truth.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Monday is here. So I must choose.

Leaders

Lendara Sunelove (Deva, Artificer/Leader, Arcane) : Anialos
    "Gramps" (Human, Warlord/Leader, Martial) : El Skid
    Grulgor Wyrmsbane (Dragonborn, Ardent/Leader, Psionic): l3lasphemer69

Because a smelly old guy would make for interesting convo with the existing members. Lendara would have some chemistry with Nim, but other interactions were harder to visualize. Grulgor would fall heavily into the strong-big category, and there's already a strong-big guy too.

Strikers
    Reed Riversong (Halfling, Thief/Striker, Martial) : Nealneal
    Bahrnard Twigs (Halfling, Executioner/Striker, Martial) : wildwood
    Bartholomew (Human, Ranger/Striker, Martial) : godmode

All three of you guys kind of fell into a "quiet type" grouping.

While he did not throw it on the ground, still giving Bart a shot at this. It reads like a beastmaster ranger, and I haven't seen one of those in play. Curious to see it in play.

What I will need is a picture of characters to make the token, and the sheet if not posted. Thanks for your interest!

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Woo! Will get you a sheet and an image, tastydonuts! :D

• Options
    I did consider throwing it, but that might've been kind of rude :P

Thanks for the opportunity! Will get the rest of the sheet together for ya.

• Options
    Let me know what you think! First time making a character over level 1: http://orokos.com/dnd4e/sheets/4461
    male_ranger.jpg

• Options
    will have to review the sheet sheet later. If you want to use that picture, it's fine. the only thing is that the maps would shrink it down to 32x32 or 24x24 pixels, so the image would be mostly grey

• Options
    I'm not particularly attached to the picture anyway. I'm not artist, so I just pulled one off GIS. As long as I'm the only grey blob token, it'll do :P

• Options
    Ugh, Creating level 6 chars without the character generator sucks ass :-/

I have a character, putting it on mythweavers now...

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Here goes:

Gramps, Human Warlord.

picture (which was almost harder than the character sheet and not what I wanted, really):

grampss.jpg

El Skid on