As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Gesundheit; Sneeze of Mystery

• mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    Man I would love one of those wall hanging things. GW needs to know I would buy the fuck out of all their posters.

E26cO.jpg
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    So the GW store in my neck of the woods closed today. The next one by is a battle bunker and it is about 45-1hr depending on traffic. This sure sucks as I lost my gaming store when I was around 14 and there were some kids there today that were about that age so that sucks, especially how I know some of them sort of made friends there. The manager was giving a way a bunch of promo stuff. I got some nice posters, there was some food and it was an overall somber kinda event, though the fucking place was packed! Pretty much everyone showed up, including some less than welcome faces.

Big take aways, I finally bought for $15 the Gamesday Skaven metal model- so that's nice. I got a warp lightning cannon kit. Also you guys know those huge wall pictures of the different armies in GW stores? Yeah, I got the Skaven one. Some folks were peeling them off and the Skaven one came out pretty good. It now looks like an old tapestry. I'll probably mount it against some crescent board and hang it up. :3

I was BOPed.

And yes, GW needs to make posters. In the mean time, I have several fairly rare promotional ones including one that had to be carved from the flesh of a store with a fucking shank.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Didn't see this posted - FW Event model this year.

skinwolf.jpg

• SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    Cruddace did 7e demons, right? Empire will be fine.

• mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    SJ wrote: »

I'm mostly worried about internal balance. I look at things like IG and TK, and there's a ton of useless options. It's a shame, because I don't want anything in the empire line to get Ushabti'd right after I buy it.

I think I'm going to pick up the battalion box and some outriders to start with. I may add in a mortar or something in my initial purchase, and then think of a character I want. Optimal characters are sure to change with the new book, so I'll wait to see whether I want to roll with a wizard/horse priest/engineer on mech steed against my noob friend's VC's. :)

• SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    By 'fine' I mean 'will catastrophically break the game'

I thought you were trying to quell any fears that Empire would be nerfed to hell, since Daemons are so broken.

In any case, there's only been rumors of what models are/aren't coming out (War Altar, woohoo!) but almost nothing on the rules. The only thing I think I've heard is that state troopers may go up 1 point, which is surprisingly gimping. Unless there's some revamp for detachments in the works that I don't know about.

Maybe they'll get IG-style orders!

• MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    I want knights. On horses.

snm_sig.jpg
  • YannYann Registered User regular
    Morskittar wrote: »
    I want knights. On horses.

This. Ponies not so much.

Maybe it's because I haven't seen them in real life, but I don't think the knights look too much like ponies.

Or maybe it's because my frame of reference is the awesome Chaos Steeds, and I feel like Empire's should be a bit punier by comparison.

Really it's the comparison to Pistoliers that kill them.

snm_sig.jpg
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    SJ wrote: »

That was Ward.

Here's some recent rumours about Empire.
    That’s right guys, all you WHFB Empire players will be stoked to know that the next army update will belong to you!

The next White Dwarf has a new Karl Franz model and a Empire Wizard mounted on a two-headed griffon.

There’s a War Altar and new knightly orders too… does that make you go weak at the knees?

What do you think?

UPDATE: We’re hearing that an Glass Lens Weapon (Ala Archimedes) is on the cards as well. – If so will this include some kind of clear perspex component like in the Necron kits?
    Just a quick one I can confirm rumours for empire after speaking with the rep today releasing 7 April.

Demigryph Knights - 3 per box
    War Alter
    Lord on Griffon - Plastic
    ???

Single Hero Sprues of Mage? and Empire Captain

Finecast - Lots of goodies including order specific mages and warrior priests.

On release all units and options will be available from the release date.
    6 Plastic kits:

Karl Franz on Death Claw 1 fig. plastic 43 EUR
    Empire Celestial Hurricanium/Luminark of Hish 1 fig. plastic 39 EUR (2 Rare slot magic platforms)
    Empire Demigryph Knights 3 fig. plastic 43 EUR
    Captain plastic 1 fig. 10,5 EU
    Engineer plastic 10,5 EUR
    Volkar on war altar plastic 1 fig 39 EUR

Finecast:

Witch hunter 1 fig resin 13 EUR
    Markus Wolfhart 1 fig resin 13 EUR
    Empire amber wizard 1 fig resin splash release 13 EUR
    Warrior priest 1 fig resin 13 eur

-Loki- on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Two headed griffon? I dunno, that kind of mutation sounds pretty Chaotic to me.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    The extra head was sewn on, so it's totally legit.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Wait, wut? Demigryph Knights?
    Like the WF demigryph dude?
    This one:
    theodoreb3.jpg
    Sounds pretty sweet to me, but I'm not sure about this "everyone gets super-heavy cavalry" trend I'm beginning to see…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    they should get giant steam-horses.
    +5 points per man to give everyone in your army goggles and a faux-victorian hat

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    I went to warhammer-empire.com to read up on starting an Empire army.

...holy crap. I just fell into some weird rabbit-hole of fluff fanatics. I've known some people that get really into the fluff for their armies, but this is a whole new level to me.

edited March 2012
    Empire models leaked. Dear God, they've given Empire a lascannon.

Spoiler'd for huge:
    empirecover.jpg
    564462_2893200324909_1107322641_32157045_1619080437_n.jpg
    554584_2893198764870_1107322641_32157043_891982539_n.jpg
    536743_2893203124979_1107322641_32157049_864864845_n1.jpg
    538143_2893205965050_1107322641_32157052_2067315372_n.jpg
    536743_2893203124979_1107322641_32157049_864864845_n1-1.jpg
    561404_2893204605016_1107322641_32157050_1335498963_n.jpg
    564267_2893210565165_1107322641_32157056_2001634679_n.jpg
    552557_2893207365085_1107322641_32157053_1918102713_n.jpg
    545604_2893209525139_1107322641_32157055_1098718075_n.jpg
    529761_2893211565190_1107322641_32157057_605564247_n.jpg

mr_mich on
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So many carriages! Also, gryphons sure are chesty. :)

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Oh my god those are absolutely amazing and I'm buying all of them.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    I'm not sure which running joke I like more...the drunk asshole on the cover of the armybook or that the Gryphons just came from the maternity ward.

Either way, I'm buying all of that shit.

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    I think the gryphon looks fuck awsome, and those demi knights are hawt.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Those griffons are just terrible. Painting a bus with feathers is the last thing I would ever want to do.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    Yea, that gryphon is basically the best gryphon to ever exist ever.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular

Well you like dumb things with terrible proportions.

Is this where WFB is headed? With stupid giant models all over the place? I hate big models. So. Fucking. Much.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    edited March 2012
    It's been headed that direction for awhile. TK got their Sphinxes, OK got their Thundertusks, VC's got their Throne/Mortis Engine...each army is getting its big model centerpiece. You play Dwarfs though, so I understand why you'd hate these monstrosities :)

I mean, don't forget that Empire's still going to need big blocks of infantry. That's really what Fantasy is all about.

mr_mich on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Fuck me that's a big griffon. I still think the witch hunters would be none too keen on the two headed one.

MhCw7nZ.gif

Well you like dumb things with terrible proportions.

Is this where WFB is headed? With stupid giant models all over the place? I hate big models. So. Fucking. Much.

I love those proportions, all the past gryphon models kinda bothered me in one way or another. Super powerful super majestic super holy roman empire.

To be honest, the Gryphon looks exactly like the one I always see in heraldry, which may be what they're going for.

The more plastic the better. I'm trying to hold off on preordering until we hear what the rules for some of this stuff will be, but I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a battalion and something new/shiny like the Lascannon or the Planetarium thing.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    D'awww! Lil' baby demigryphs!

Big monster griffons* will look better sans chest armour I think, but overall I like the new gear and really like the fuckawesome carriage thing; is that the first three-in-one kit for WFB?

* The red kite/black jaguar markings on the first one are crazy awesome IMHO.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    I love the Griffon.

Are there no regular knights though?

snm_sig.jpg
    No new regular knights. People are already speculating that if you want to splash the ducats, you can use Demigryphs to pull your carts, and then use the included horses for your actual knights.

I believe that the War Altar/Lascannon/Planetarium isn't a triple kit. Rather, there's 2 kits: the War Altar and a Lascannon/Planetarium double kit. They probably share the sprues for the cart/horses, but have different accessories for what goes on top.

The Planetarium (actually called the Hurricanum) is supposedly capable of making big storms. The Lascannon (actually called the Luminark) looks pretty badass, and I assume is for a light wizard.

How strange. Those have to be about the oldest models in any range, other than the odd character from early 4e.

In any case, I really like all of these sculpts. And I'm very curious to see the book.

snm_sig.jpg
    I hope the book isn't as dumb as its cover.

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Is empire getting any new figs for foot troops of any kind? Or is it all special characters and monsters? (what is this, 4th edition?)

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    When I first saw it, I honestly took a closer look to see if it was photoshopped, as it looked completely ridiculous to me. Gatling pistol plus the big red nose threw me off. Plus, his codpiece isn't nearly pronounced enough.

Is empire getting any new figs for foot troops of any kind? Or is it all special characters and monsters? (what is this, 4th edition?)

I'm relatively new to the WHFB scene, but from what I've read the state troops and such are relatively recent sculpts? The militia are the only one that are pretty dated I think, although they all pretty much look it...

edited March 2012
    Here's a full breakdown of what's coming out, if anyone still hasn't seen it:
    Empire Army Book (ideal Premium/Hobby Account new release product) - Released 7th April
    • 96p Full colour, Hardback Army Book.
    • Essential guide to the Empire army including background, new rules, Army List, artwork and miniature gallery.
    • Every Character and Unit in the Army Book is available to buy!
    • Contains rules for brand new ‘never seen before’ miniatures.

Plastic Kits

Karl Franz on Deathclaw (ideal Premium/Hobby Account new release product) - Released 7th April
    • This box contains a multipart plastic kit that makes one of THREE different models; Karl Franz on Deathclaw, Empire General on Griffon or Amber Wizard Lord on Griffon.
    • Assembled kit is huge- 6” high and 9” wide.
    • A centerpiece kit that will appeal to both gamers and modelers/painters alike.
    • Kit contains lots of extra pieces i.e. Multiple Chest plates and heads for the Griffon and more.

Empire Celestial Hurricanum / Luminark of Hysh (ideal Premium/Hobby Account new release product) - Released 7th April
    • This box contains a multipart plastic kit that makes one of Two different models; or the.
    o The Celestial Hurricanum: A rare choice for the Empire Army or a mount for a Celestial Battle Wizard Lord.
    o Enhances the armies fighting abilities, spell casting and can create enchanted storms!

Or

o Luminark of Hysh: A rare choice for the Empire Army or a mount for a Light Battle Wizard Lord.
    o Creates a magical enchantment that protects nearby troops and helps disrupt enemy spell casting and can fire deadly beam of light at the enemy!
    • A centerpiece kit that will appeal to both gamers and modelers/painters alike.
    • Each kit contains lots of extra parts e.g. Light and Celestial Battle Wizard lords, Acolytes etc.

Volkmar the Grim on The War Altar of Sigmar (ideal Premium/Hobby Account new release product) - Released 7th April
    • This box contains a multipart plastic kit that constructs the mighty War Altar of Sigmar.
    • Standing 7” high it is a centerpiece kit that will appeal to both gamers and modelers/painters alike.
    • The War Altar is a Lord choice as it can be a mount for either Volkmar or an Arch Lector.

Empire Demigryph Knights (ideal Premium/Hobby Account new release product) - Released 7th April
    • This box contains enough multipart plastic pieces to assemble three Demigryph Knights- Elite Monstrous Cavalry that are a Special choice in the Empire Army Book.
    • The kit allows you to model the rank and file Inner Circle Knights or a full command group or a mixture of both.
    • The kit allows them to take lances or a cavalry Halberd.

Empire Master Engineer (ideal Premium/Hobby Account new release product) - Released 7th April
    • Plastic Frame Clampack that contains one Master Engineer.
    • The Master Engineer is a Hero Choice in the army.
    • The Master Engineer is easy to assemble and can be assembled in different ways.

Captain of the Empire (ideal Premium/Hobby Account new release product) - Released 7th April
    • Plastic Frame Clampack that contains one Captain of the Empire.
    • The Captain of the Empire is a Hero Choice in the army.
    • The Captain of the Empire is easy to assemble and comes with 2 heads to choose from.

And prices:
    7th of April, new stuff
    Empire Army book 33 EUR
    Karl Franz on Death Claw 1 fig. plastic 43 EUR
    Empire Celestial Hurricanium/Luminark of Hish 1 fig. plastic 39 EUR (no clue what it is but I guess something like the new VC thingymagic)
    Empire Demigryph Knights 3 fig. plastic 43 EUR
    Captain plastic 1 fig. 10,5 EU
    Engineer plastic 10,5 EUR
    Volkar on war altar plastic 1 fig 39 EUR
    witch hunter 1 fig resin 13 EUR
    Markus Wolfhart 1 fig resin 13 EUR
    Empire amber wizard 1 fig resin splash release 13 EUR
    Warrior priest 1 fig resin 13 eur

I haven't really looked at direct price point comparisons, but I believe that between the Euro/USD exchange and 25% off online retailers, it's just a straight Euro->Dollar conversion. I.e. after the 25% discount the Lascannon will be ~$39.

mr_mich on
    I think the militia and knights are the only really old kits... the horses are probably pushing 20 years now. They were used with the 4e metal knights. The militia are from Mordheim (early 00s IIRC) and the remainder of the line is mostly 7th edition or a splash mid-7th release.

snm_sig.jpg
    Those Demigryphs look terrible. I almost mistook them for horses. They should have basically reproduced the FW Demigryph.

This discussion has been closed.