As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sine Mora - Quite possibly the best horizontal shmup of all time

13»

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Anyone know what STG stands for? I see it used interchangeably with shmup.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I really want more of this games universe and concept: It's exceptionally (and delightfully) dark.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Anyone know what STG stands for? I see it used interchangeably with shmup.

"Shooting game." I've also seen it referred to as the 100% more Engrish-y "shoot target game," though I don't know if that's just a case of forcing the initialism.

• Options
    DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    Finished Normal. Time to try Challenging and fail miserably until I get the hang of this.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Played this for the first time last night, started Story Mode on Challenging. Not quite as hard as I was expecting, but I'm in love with everything about the game. The story definitely seems cool for a side scrolling shooter in this vein.

SkyTurnsRed on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I hope you die down there, Koss.

• Options
    <giggle>

Kind of an odd translation, it sounds more like a chuckle than a giggle.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    <evil chuckle>???

I take back what I said, this game has no happy ending to be found. Oh well. Arcade mode time!

The pretty interesting thing is that Arcade Mode shows every combination (permutation?) of character, plane and time ability and labels them all in one of like sixty Chronodes, to show you what you have and have not tried. What I can't find is replays! Where the replays at?!

I keep reading the thread title as "the most horizontal shump of all time." It might be the best, but it can never be the most horizontal. Gradius 1 will always be the most horizontal.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DIE, YOU SON OF AN ASS!

I am entertained about how I can sympathize with Koss, but damn if I don't hate him too.

Got my first S-rank today. I was surprised at how I'd gone from barely able to avoid stuff on Normal to only taking four hits over an entire level on Challenging.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Just beat it with the Alternate Translation.

Good stuff.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I like the music in the trailers. Always a big plus for a shmup.
    Don't have a 360 anymore unfortunately. I'll have to keep an eye out for a release on other platforms ;_;

In the meantime, maybe I'll go dust off the Genesis and play some Thunder Force III

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Alright, you've all convinced me. I'm going to go pick this up on the Xbox.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    This game is fantastic, great visuals, clever mechanics and it's approachable as well. The story is all kinds of fucked up though: this is grimdark that would put warhammer to shame.

• Options
    I wish this game had replays. I thought that shit was standard by now.

Does anyone know how to squeeze through Boss 1's spiral pattern in Arcade Hard mode?

• Options
    I think you need to start high and left, and just stay in one of the 'channels'. If you're caught underneath a stream that's going to sweep the bottom of the screen, you're already boned unless you slow down time and squeeze through.

• Options
    Dear gods the ending was wonderfully depressing. Is it even more fucked up if you finish it on challenging? Or do I need to finish it on challenging and then with alternative dialog to get the other ending?

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    I'm going to get this for a friend (who unlike me owns a 360) just to support the developers and reward them for this ballsy, well-made game. I won't be able to play it much because I have a term paper for the 19th of May and on the 29th him and I have to move apart out of our current pad.

But whatever, this game is nuts. Every video I've seen of it radiates attention to quality or a willingness to experiment.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Dear gods the ending was wonderfully depressing. Is it even more fucked up if you finish it on challenging? Or do I need to finish it on challenging and then with alternative dialog to get the other ending?

Beating the game on Challenging reveals why two lifeforms were sensed fighting the last boss, not one. It reveals what happened to Lynthe and Myryan after their respective missions, has one extra boss fight and wraps everything up with no loose ends, to the point that I don't think a sequel is possible. :(

Cantido on
  • Options
    I don't think that's right. I think beating it on challenging unlocks the alternate translation, then you can choose that when you start the game. I'm pretty sure I beat it on Normal with the alternate translation to get the second ending.

• Options
    I don't think that's right. I think beating it on challenging unlocks the alternate translation, then you can choose that when you start the game. I'm pretty sure I beat it on Normal with the alternate translation to get the second ending.

Ah, you're right. I beat Story on Challenging, then the Alternate story unlocked for me, and you can pick any difficulty you want.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Do you just need to beat the stages individually on Challenging to unlock the alternative translation?

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    If I could never get past stage 2-2 of Ikaruga on Normal how much fun could I have in this game? Is it humanly possible or does it fall into the demi-god level of Shoot-em ups?

• Options
    If I could never get past stage 2-2 of Ikaruga on Normal how much fun could I have in this game? Is it humanly possible or does it fall into the demi-god level of Shoot-em ups?

So, let me start by saying I really love this game but I will say that if Ikaruga isn't your thing, this game won't offer you a lot of value. While it is much more forgiving in many ways from a mechanics point of view, it's really only got one approachable difficulty (Normal). Beyond that, you have to be an afficionado or just into these kinds of games to get more out of it. Literally every other mode or option you can choose puts the game at a pretty high difficulty: Meaning only the (comparatively short) story is approachable.

I love this game, but I find it difficult to whole heartedly recommend - unless the really dark story, great visuals and excellent gameplay will keep you compelled to get better for higher difficulties.

• Options
    This game is nowhere near as difficult as Ikaruga, at least on Normal/Challenging.

• Options
    This game is nowhere near as difficult as Ikaruga, at least on Normal/Challenging.

Once you're done with the story mode and move on to Arcade, there are only two options: Hard and Insane. Hard is pretty tough for me.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Just got this game, good times are being had. Though I spent 4 of my 5 tokens just getting through the caves as Dryak on chapter 2, walls + worms spewing crap + their death explosions doing damage = aaaaaa boom.

• Options

I couldn't get past level 1 of Ikaruga on Normal.

I'm having a blast with this one, and am about halfway through my second playthrough on Challenging. Granted, I leave it as a side thing that I do occasionally.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I just found out this game has manual fire. As in, by mashing you can fire faster than holding the fire button down.

• Options
    Also, a patch is coming that will add Challenging to Arcade Mode so that I can actually 1cc it.

• Options
    M_WM_W Registered User regular
    I'm really, really upset that I can't unlock the alternate narrative until I beat story mode on challenging, because I simply don't have the skill to complete it. I'm currently stuck on Papa Carlo.

The game's narrative, sound, and visuals are the reasons I keep playing, and if I can't get the narrative then this will (personally) have been a waste of money, but I guess that's what I deserve for buying a game I am clearly not the audience for :P

• Options
    The in-stage dialogue is the same, it's just the narrated text between stages that changes, so in theory someone might be able to screencap them.

And the final boss fight, I guess, but I'm sure that will pop up on YouTube sooner or later.

• Options
    M_WM_W Registered User regular
    The in-stage dialogue is the same, it's just the narrated text between stages that changes, so in theory someone might be able to screencap them.

And the final boss fight, I guess, but I'm sure that will pop up on YouTube sooner or later.
    I actually just watched the alternate ending on YouTube. Some very film noir plot twists going on in this game. Maybe if I keep playing I'll get decent enough to finish this.

• Options
    milathmilath Registered User regular
    So I picked this one up based on the comments here. Good game. It may not be great for my mental health though O_o So many mistakes on my part leading to frustration and a good 5 minutes of red faced loud cursing.... Ahh, video game frustration... I've missed you so.

I will say it's nice to see something that doesn't hold your hand and tell you "there there, everything will be ok, just turn on easy mode." No, this game is like "fuck you with your easy mode. You'll die and you'll fuckin like it. You're MY bitch now!"

So yeah. Good game...Good--
    goddamn cheating motherfucker with your bullets all over the screen and no slow time left fuckshitdammitfuckfuckfuck

steam_sig.png
    "No.. I was wrong. This must be what going mad feels like."

• Options
    This just showed up on Steam.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I'm waiting on the Vita version myself, played it at E3 so I know it's coming.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    Its coming to vita? Sweet fancy moses that's awesome. I love portable shmups

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • Options
    Finally picked this up during the summer Steam sale and just now got around to firing it up.
    WOW what a treat!

• Options
    It's fantastic.

I have to say the other two posts before yours really confused me as I was thinking "I already have it on vita!"