As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Secret Huntress Fan Club! (DC Comics: The New 52)

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The thing is, how do you decide when to stop developing a character, in a serialized medium, where the characters are used in perpetuity? I mean, unless you've got a Jack Knight situation, where the character reaches a pretty definitive end, there's really no good stopping point for character development, and it can get a bit tricky to decide what the best version of a character is.

Should Superman go from a carefree Superboy, to a serious and moral Superman? Sure, makes sense. But, should he keep going? Maybe he realizes that the best way to protect humanity is by taking a more active role in world politics. Keep going? Maybe he realizes he needs to take a firmer hand with humanity, and with both sets of parents dead, and no Lois Lane to tether him to humanity, he gets a bit more extreme. Soon, he's making liberal use of the Phantom Zone, with everyone he doesn't care for stuffed in there.

Soon, he's not even the character people used to like, he's just some guy in a cape, a broken version of what used to work.

That's what Booster is, now. A broken version of something that worked fine before. There's no more nuance, he's just a square-jawed, blonde, all-star football player, and superhero. He's Generic Brand Superhero.

Munch on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    As someone with no prior experience with Booster, and only speaking from current JLI, I think Jurgens is doing a really good job of catching that balance. He pulls off joking-to-a-fault, poster boy Booster really well early on and then has the call to leadership be issued to him by the JLI's UN contacts and his continual taunts from Guy. Booster in that series isn't serious at the cost of what makes him Booster, he's realizing that he needs to be more responsible in order to be the person he wants to be, and that there's not always a time and a place for what he's done before.

huntresssig.jpg
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Why can't every book be OMAC or Wolverine and the X-Men?

this is what i've been saying
    (read More Than Meets The Eye)

I am reading it. It's pretty good, but it's hard to keep track of all the bots.

Also I'm reading it during my shifts at the shop, so I am not actually paying for it :(

Yeah, I'm having the same problem.

Though to be fair to the author, the only Transformers thing I ever payed much attention to was Beast Wars and G1, so it's not surprising that I'm jumping into such a big universe and going, "Who the hell ARE all these people?"

IKknkhU.gif
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    As someone with no prior experience with Booster, and only speaking from current JLI, I think Jurgens is doing a really good job of catching that balance. He pulls off joking-to-a-fault, poster boy Booster really well early on and then has the call to leadership be issued to him by the JLI's UN contacts and his continual taunts from Guy. Booster in that series isn't serious at the cost of what makes him Booster, he's realizing that he needs to be more responsible in order to be the person he wants to be, and that there's not always a time and a place for what he's done before.

This precedes your experience with the character, but Booster has spent the past seven years coming to grips with the destruction of his team, mourning the deaths of his friends, and learning to cope with the crippling responsibilities of his job while retaining a modicum of good humor.

I'm not saying that the character is unrecognizable. Rather, my complaint is that the character has not only been forced into a storyline that doesn't play to his strengths, but that he's also been trapped in that storyline for so long that nobody can imagine him doing anything else.

That's not character development but rather character stagnation.

Robos A Go Go on
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Having just read the new issue of Justice League, it seems like maybe Batman's comments about the JLI there may have been a bit more towards the actual book than the team.
    Telling Trevor to do something about the JLI, that he worked with them, they are a joke and need to be removed before the JL have to do something about them.

Considering the major change to the team that same month... well its not that subtle of a dig.

Now it seems like they are taking all the characters from the cancelled series and moving them over into team books. Mister Terrific is heading to Earth 2 apparently, Static over to Titans sooner or later, and OMAC into JLI. Makes me worry that they are getting rid of characters in JLI just to fit in these other characters now.

mister terrific was always supposed to tie in with earth-2

so was huntress :lol:

Static just fits.

OMAC...it's OMAC!

huntresssig.jpg

This precedes your experience with the character, but Booster has spent the past seven years coming to grips with the destruction of his team, mourning the deaths of his friends, and learning to cope with the crippling responsibilities of his job while retaining a modicum of good humor.

I'm not saying that the character is unrecognizable. Rather, my complaint is that the character has not only been forced into a storyline that doesn't play to his strengths, but that he's also been trapped in that storyline for so long that nobody can imagine him doing anything else.

Well, it's a new storyline, so whatever. He's from Gananoque now!

huntresssig.jpg
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Arivia wrote: »

No shit, Booster's Canadian? When did that happen?

...And now that's a plot hole, because wasn't Booster a big NCAA star? Canadians don't start at quarterback, even in the CFL.

LordSolarMacharius on

...And now that's a plot hole, because wasn't Booster a big NCAA star? Canadians don't start at quarterback, even in the CFL.

Yeah, they made him Quebecois in the new 52.

Also he could have been a QB in uni football up here. Like in the Red and Gold, Laval's team who have stomped everyone for like a decade now.

huntresssig.jpg
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I'm very concerned that no one here or in the GL thread has vented their frustrations with GLC7, the issue where
    John Stewart covers up for the GL he straight up murdered with no qualms, and then takes the body back home to "repent," where he is forced to deal with dead Lantern Kirrt's mentally handicapped younger brother Birrt, who tries to break his brother out of his coffin so he can "breathe" and so they can fly around together in space and ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Honestly, it was a Rise of Arsenal dead-cat swinging moment. It was honestly that bad. It might even be a lower blow, because it was not only super cheap melodrama, but it worked on me in that it made me horribly, horribly depressed after reading it.

I'm very concerned that no one here or in the GL thread has vented their frustrations with GLC7, the issue where
    John Stewart covers up for the GL he straight up murdered with no qualms, and then takes the body back home to "repent," where he is forced to deal with dead Lantern Kirrt's mentally handicapped younger brother Birrt, who tries to break his brother out of his coffin so he can "breathe" and so they can fly around together in space and ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Honestly, it was a Rise of Arsenal dead-cat swinging moment. It was honestly that bad. It might even be a lower blow, because it was not only super cheap melodrama, but it worked on me in that it made me horribly, horribly depressed after reading it.

Wait,
    John Stewart covers up murdering a GL or he murders an evil GL whom he then covers for?

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular

Also he could have been a QB in uni football up here. Like in the Red and Gold, Laval's team who have stomped everyone for like a decade now.

Totally off topic but: Vanier Cup final score McMaster Marauders 41-38 Laval Rouge et Or. "Stomped," eh? ;)

[<--Is Mac alumni, played high school football with a couple of the guys.]

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Ya, I was half ready for him to scream " But Kirrt can't see without his glasses!"

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508

Totally off topic but: Vanier Cup final score McMaster Marauders 41-38 Laval Rouge et Or. "Stomped," eh? ;)

[<--Is Mac alumni, played high school football with a couple of the guys.]

Oh, that's cool. I live very close to Mac myself.

huntresssig.jpg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    listen this is a nerd sanctuary

get that football talk out of here

you are desecrating it

Wait,
    John Stewart covers up murdering a GL or he murders an evil GL whom he then covers for?

Kind of both of those things combined
    He killed a GL that broke during torture and was about to give up OA. Then he covers for him, saying he was a great soldier and whatnot, and doing the guy's final honors himself, including returning the body to the family. The aforementioned hijinks ensued.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular

Wait,

Kind of both of those things combined
    He killed a GL that broke during torture and was about to give up OA. Then he covers for him, saying he was a great soldier and whatnot, and doing the guy's final honors himself, including returning the body to the family. The aforementioned hijinks ensued.

fuck that shit

ughhhh

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Jesus. Is this what the nuDCU is really about?

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    how about instead of stories where superheroes make wrong decisions when faced with complex moral dilemmas and it's all very gritty and realistic, we have stories where superheroes fight dragons in space

• ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    So checking out the Firestorm preview here. Art looks alright. Anyone still following this title to know if it's improved any under the new team?

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    how about instead of stories where superheroes make wrong decisions when faced with complex moral dilemmas and it's all very gritty and realistic, we have stories where superheroes fight dragons in space

Or, when faced with complex moral dilemmas, the superheroes find a way to honestly assess what's going on, and if they can't make the right call on their own, they go to someone and get some help, rather than making a poor decision and then just burying it deep inside themselves and covering it up, which isn't what being a superhero should ever be about. People do fuck up. But when you fuck up, you should make it right, by whatever measure that it's possible.

Fighting Space Dragons is also a valid narrative option, however.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'm just bummed about what I saw regarding Billy in the Captain Marvel Shazam backup.
    justiceleague7billybatsonjerk.jpg

Like Nancy Kerrigan asked, why?

TexiKen on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    what
    no

god damn it DC

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Man

So many things I see from DC make it seem increasingly unlikely that the Power Girl book is gonna be like its fun-loving previous version.

But it's Huntress AND PG, and the Huntress book was apparently pretty fun, so I will hold out hope.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
    It will probably read a lot like Levitz's current legion.

Which is to say it's going to be a bronze age comic. There will be moments of overwrought space/cosmic opera type stuff mixed with the standard superhero-ing.

Huntress was very very low-key crime comic stuff without a metahuman in sight until PG's last-page appearance, so I don't know.

huntresssig.jpg
  • ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular

Or, when faced with complex moral dilemmas, the superheroes find a way to honestly assess what's going on, and if they can't make the right call on their own, they go to someone and get some help, rather than making a poor decision and then just burying it deep inside themselves and covering it up, which isn't what being a superhero should ever be about. People do fuck up. But when you fuck up, you should make it right, by whatever measure that it's possible.

Fighting Space Dragons is also a valid narrative option, however.

To be fair, Jon and the other Lantern were prisoners during this point and the GL he killed was about to break under pressure and give up all the goods.

It really felt like Tomasi was going for some kind of Platoon or Full Metal Jacket vibe, because Jon's a former marine and all that. It became even more evident when it's Jon that brings the body home (when have we ever really seen the GL Corps do stuff like that?) and does the "He was a real hero who died serving his country, ma'am" schtick.

I almost expected him to give the kid brother a watch from the dead GL. "This belonged to your brother. He'd want you to have it. I hid it ... somewhere."

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Now it seems like they are taking all the characters from the cancelled series and moving them over into team books. Mister Terrific is heading to Earth 2 apparently, Static over to Titans sooner or later, and OMAC into JLI. Makes me worry that they are getting rid of characters in JLI just to fit in these other characters now.

Terrific is just a follow-on to his relationship with Power Girl in his series. Static's already appeared in Titans (he made Bart's costume in the recent issue), and OMAC...

I have nothing for OMAC. Is Max Lord in JLI? If so, they're playing up that link.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I am just so disappointed by GLC being terrible

Tomasi has written such great things

CYpGAPn.png
    Dan Didio's top 10 DC Comics during his tenure

So many bad choices:
    1) Batman 608 - start of Hush
    2) Identity Crisis (the rape pages are in!)
    3) Green Lantern: Rebirth
    4) Superman/Batman: Supergirl
    5) Countdown to Infinite Crisis
    6) Infinite Crisis
    7) 52
    8) Superman Earth One
    9) Batman, Green Lantern, "five year plans" ( that's a) communist and b) too big a brush)
    10) The New 52

To me, I see 52 and the Green Lantern 5-year stuff being the only really good parts of that list, with everything else either mediocre or falling completely apart at the end (Hush, Identity Crisis), or just out right bad (Supergirl, Earth One).

I think the implication is that they were the best stories for his career, not the best stories of his career.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    No Countdown to Final Crisis? That must've been #11.

I think the implication is that they were the best stories for his career, not the best stories of his career.

I can see that in some of the choices, but the way he tries to take some credit for 52, when it's widely known he didn't care for it, and even tries to say he was always supporting it, it makes me wonder.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Seven Soldiers of Victory is better than everything else on that list.

I really do dislike that man.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Yep, that 80-page ad for four different books, loosely tied together with a bunch of people acting completely out of character, was the best Blue Beetle story ever, Dan Didio.

uggghhhh

• Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    Man, I was so excited for Earth One. It was supposed to be DC's answer to Marvel's Ultimate Universe, then the book came out and it was . . . just okay I guess. It wasn't great, but there were parts I did like, it was kind of a let down from all the hype I built up in my own head about it though. It made it worse that they haven't really done anything with it since the release of Superman: Earth One.

Wasn't the Batman title pushed back like three times? Now it's not coming out until July.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    Is there really not a current Superthread? That's a tad disappointing. I'm up to Action Comics #3 and I've got a pretty good feeling that I'll be officially up to date there by the end of the night, then its on to Superman. Really loving the run, though I kinda feel like its moving too quickly. It went from the adjusting society to punching robots pretty damn fast. Well, at least I'll grab up to #6. Do I look like someone who can spare that extra dollar on comixology?

On a completely unrelated note, Batman is the main Batbook isn't it? They don't seem to follow the "extra dollar for flagship titles" rule. I'm going to assume that its due to there being so damn many of them.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Batman is 3.99 as of issue 8

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Superman was pretty dang good this week! A huuuuge improvement over the Perez garbage.

CYpGAPn.png
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Of course the only DC title I get bumps up to 3.99.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
This discussion has been closed.