As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dungeons and Dragons: Forgotten Realms Comic Starting In April

2»

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    What is the generic DnD setting these days anyway? Greyhawk?

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Oh my god you guys I have to control myself THIS MUCH not to go off on D&D tangents why are you doing this to meeeeeee.

How was the Dark Sun comic? If Planescape did not exist, Dark Sun would be my favorite D&D setting, and I was very excited when it was sorta-revived for 4th Ed. I read the first issue of the comic and just fell asleep; did it end up being good?

Also, you know what I would probably sell my soul for? A Planescape comic. Oh my god. And if it had art by Tony DiTerlizzi? I'd sell YOUR soul, too. Have you D&D geeks read the "Unity of Rings" Planescape comic? It's awesome, although it probably won't mean as much to someone who isn't very familiar with Planescape.

Actually, I'd be very interested to know what you think of that comic if you don't know much about Planescape. Keep in mind that it was written in the mid-90s, so you might need to factor that into your evaluation of the writing and the art.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Solar wrote:
    It's called Points of Light in the 4e books

it is about as generic as you can get, in the sense that it uses the basic history and races used in the Manuals and Guide and then provides no maps or anything. It is basically "Here is how the world works, now make it up from there."

CYpGAPn.png
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Still slightly better then the nentir vale which I'm given to understand is the middle of dull as fuck nowhere but-oh-my-god-every-D&D-season-must-involve-it.

As to forgotten realms: 4E realms is all kinds of fucked up. Major groups and individuals are decimated, depowered or flat out gone and some have been kicked up to an 11 on the omfg scale. In the past people have pissed and moaned that the heroes were everywhere but that simply isn't the case anymore.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote:
    Solar wrote:

It's called Points of Light in the 4e books

it is about as generic as you can get, in the sense that it uses the basic history and races used in the Manuals and Guide and then provides no maps or anything. It is basically "Here is how the world works, now make it up from there."

Fair enough
    Gaddez wrote:
    Still slightly better then the nentir vale which I'm given to understand is the middle of dull as fuck nowhere but-oh-my-god-every-D&D-season-must-involve-it.

As to forgotten realms: 4E realms is all kinds of fucked up. Major groups and individuals are decimated, depowered or flat out gone and some have been kicked up to an 11 on the omfg scale. In the past people have pissed and moaned that the heroes were everywhere but that simply isn't the case anymore.

That sucks. I liked the Forgetten Realms just as they were, thank you.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So they are making a Nentir Vale this season's fashion for D&D? I really have not gone out and played D&D in about a year.

I love the D&D comic but the Drizzt one is just boring which is what I fear for the forgotten realms one

• WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Turambar wrote:

I don't think so... I don't think that's forgotten realms. It may be though. However, I do know it's AMAZING. The current D&D comic is hands down my favorite series out right now... and I hate to say it... but more fun than Skullkickers (though Skullkickers is amazing).

The currently ongoing one is the most underrated comic out at the moment imo. It has has surprisingly hilarious humor, awesome characters (I don't understand how they're so awesome being that they're all cliche... but somehow they are fantastic), and it has superb action. It's like combining the goofy and lighthearted feeling of the Mummy with D&D.

I'm curious to see if this upcoming series can even come close to the already existing one.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    So I read the first arc, Shadowplague, on comiXology and I loved it

Definitely buying the rest as well

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Huh, I thought the current ongoing series was already set in the Forgotten Realms.

edited February 2012
    Turambar wrote:
    So I read the first arc, Shadowplague, on comiXology and I loved it

Definitely buying the rest as well

It really is my favorite series atm. I wish it got more recognition. So many people wrote it off, because at first glance, it does seem like more generic D&D crap. But it has IT. The great humor hooks you, the lovable characters and interesting stories get you to stay. Like I said before, I love skullkickers, but if I could only purchase one comic a month... it would be this D&D series.

The writer behind this series is someone you should keep a close eye on. John Rogers is crazy good.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    "I am being disemboweled horribly!"

Hilarious

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Turambar wrote:

Hilarious

Nothing beats the Orc kiss. That will go down in history as my favorite comic moment.

• ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    Newsrama got a few words from Ed Greenwood about this project: here

Wishpig wrote: »
    Turambar wrote:

Hilarious

Nothing beats the Orc kiss. That will go down in history as my favorite comic moment.

Yep, I scanned it and sent that scene to my weekly D&D group. So many good things in this comic.

Arryn wrote: »
    Newsrama got a few words from Ed Greenwood about this project: here

Well I hope it's not boring as the Drizzt comic turned out to be

What was even the point of that Drizzt comic? It was a waste of 5 issues, and the parts with Drizzt were like a cameo appearance that went on for too long.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Has the current D&D comic got a second TPB yet?

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Yes they are up to #3 which came out last week

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Bonza, on the Amazon wishlist they go. The first one was, as everyone keeps saying, a right good laugh.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Just read issue #1 of the FR comic. That was fun, but I know some other people here picked it up too. What did you think? Did it make sense? Did the language make sense?

I enjoyed it, but I both know what stlaern means without looking it up and what that tentacled creature that appeared on one page was. I wanted this to succeed so badly, but confusing panel layouts and needing Power of Faerun's glossary sections to make sense of it isn't going to sell well to the average reader, I fear.

huntresssig.jpg
    I forgot it was out - I'll have to add it to next week's pull list. It sounds like Greenwood probably needed to co-write it with someone who has more comic experience (like whoever wrote Fell's Five).

• D-DocD-Doc Las Cruces, NM and South TexasRegistered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    Man, I was a big Forgotten Realms fan, based almost entirely on the (admittedly pretty awful) writing of R.A. Salvatore.

But, his last few books really just murdered my love of that whole setting.

Of course, the Baldur's Gate game was pretty awesome, too. And the Avatar series of books. And the Erevis Cale trilogy.

Though come to think of it, my problem with all those stories was pretty much the same. They all eventually reach the point where the heroes are nigh-omnipotent, and everyone around them is basically useless, and doomed to die.

Thank you. I loved Salvatore's first two trilogies (Icewind Dale and the Dark Elf) but after that I felt like he crapped all over my favorite characters and my love of the series. But yes, the Baldur's Gate games were awesome. What are the Avatar and Erevis Cale trilogies?

D-Doc wrote: »
    Munch wrote: »
    Man, I was a big Forgotten Realms fan, based almost entirely on the (admittedly pretty awful) writing of R.A. Salvatore.

But, his last few books really just murdered my love of that whole setting.

Of course, the Baldur's Gate game was pretty awesome, too. And the Avatar series of books. And the Erevis Cale trilogy.

Though come to think of it, my problem with all those stories was pretty much the same. They all eventually reach the point where the heroes are nigh-omnipotent, and everyone around them is basically useless, and doomed to die.

Thank you. I loved Salvatore's first two trilogies (Icewind Dale and the Dark Elf) but after that I felt like he crapped all over my favorite characters and my love of the series. But yes, the Baldur's Gate games were awesome. What are the Avatar and Erevis Cale trilogies?

The Avatar trilogy (technically a four/five-book series, I can't remember if there was another single novel after Crucible) is the novelization of the Time of Troubles - the time when all the gods became mortal and walked Faerun. (You might be familiar with this event from Baldur's Gate.) It's an okay series, with a ton of action and the death and creation of several gods. The problem is that it's literally the RPG equivalent of the comics summer crossover - it was handed down by editorial with specific goals in order to prepare the Realms for 2e D&D. This is why Bhaal dies and no one picks up his portfolio - assassins were against the code of conduct for 2e writing, so they had to all be killed off. Other stuff like that. Same reason it's written by committee under a shared pseudonym (Troy Denning does Waterdeep, I think James Lowder is responsible for at least one of the other two, and I can't remember who wrote Crucible, a fourth book released years later to tie up some dangling plot hooks.)

The Erevis Cale books (there's more than a trilogy, I want to say two and maybe more, with a few short stories) is dedicated to the exploits of Erevis Cale, a thief from the rich nation of Sembia. Paul S. Kemp has a really good handle on the setting, but there's still a notable level of power inflation like Munch is talking about, with Cale eventually becoming a Chosen of Mask, the god of thieves, and fighting for power over shadows against the forces of Shar, goddess of darkness. Good stuff, though.

That said, if that turned you away from the Realms, @Munch , you owe it to yourself to pick up this series. Ed Greenwood (along with the other really good Realms writers, like Elaine Cunningham) gets the setting far more than RA ever does, so it's a bit less inflationary and hyperbolic. This series is actually pretty much street-level crime, featuring a pair of hapless small-time thieves caught up in a far greater intrigue when they see the kidnapping of noble Lady Talandra Roaringhorn. It's a really good show of the Realms at a smaller scale.

huntresssig.jpg
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Man, I love me some fantasy, but these days I'd rather read stuff that's a little more out there, I guess. Stuff like Orc Stain, Nodwick, Unsounded, or Battlepug.

Like I said though, I do have an affinity for the D&D settings, so I may grab the Realms comic. What I'd really love, is a new Dragonlance comic; draconians, kender, gully dwarves, tinkerer gnomes, and Lord Toede? Fuck yes, son.

And I really need to track down the rest of Kenzer and Co's Dungeons and Dragons comics, as well as their various Hackmaster series. Those were a tremendous amount of fun.

@Munch - you should give Skullkickers a look.

munch did you seriously just call Dragon-syndicated in-joke comic Nodwick "a little more out there"

huntresssig.jpg
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Well, I meant in that it's not a typical fantasy story. It's not about the adventurers, so much as it's about the much put-upon henchman, which is a neat twist. Plus, I don't think the comic book version was particularly in-jokey. It was more about common fantasy tropes anyone would be familiar with, than jokes about 3rd Edition, or whatever.

In regards to Skullkickers, I really liked the first story, that had all the painted-style colors. It was a cool complement to the exaggerated character designs. Kind of reminded me of a Frazetta or Elmore painting, filtered through a cartoonist. But, when it changed over to the more standard style of coloring, I lost interest.

Munch on
    oh, okay. I'm just familiar with it from late-2e Dungeon and Dragon issues, where they'd have jokes about treasure distribution tables or the uses for a sphere of annihilation.

huntresssig.jpg
    Arivia wrote: »
    oh, okay. I'm just familiar with it from late-2e Dungeon and Dragon issues, where they'd have jokes about treasure distribution tables or the uses for a sphere of annihilation.

The ones they are currently issusing as trades?

Brainleech wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »

The ones they are currently issusing as trades?

Nodwick? I guess?

huntresssig.jpg