As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] Operation Beachhead Next Weekend. Fun in the sun? MARK SPOILERS

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Finished it last night. Thought it was great. Read up on people's beef with the ending. And I get where they're coming from. Still think it's great.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah. Vanguard with biotic/tech support is hilarious.

Then you add incendiary ammo to the mix and its even funnier.

No kidding. I like to charge warped enemies like everyone else, but they were playing two Salarian engineers and an Asari adept to my human vanguard. One charge/nova and a whole group of silver geth/reapers just.... exploded.

Inferno ammo is awesome too. I usually put inferno/cryo/disrupter ammo in my shotgun for extra vanguard explosions.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    My favorite part of the single player game thus far is having the particle rifle from the DLC. I feel like I've arrived from the double future (or Mass Effect 1....) running around with what seems to effectively be a death ray that doesn't need ammunition. I get to laugh hilariously whenever I see their silly heat sinks lying on the ground and everyone else is zapping off bullets while I'm teleporting around the battlefield with a starship weapon.

I'm actually really enjoying the combat in the later stages of the game, it finally reminds me of mass effect 1 again since my cooldowns are all so short I can zap off numerous powers one after the other. Biotic charge, shockwave, laser cannon, charge! Cover is for my squadmates ;)

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Damnit.
    I wanted more Elcor.

Quest tracking is really subpar in the game. I'd like to know what happened with the allocation of dev resources on that one.

When the Elcor ambassador mentioned that his people needed assistance I
    was supremely dissapointed we didn't get to go to their homeworld! I was sure we were going to get a really cool high gravity mission where you would land in a stolen Atlas or something (to fight the gravity or whatnot) and fight the Reapers while Elcor evacuated. But no, just planet scanning :( I wanted to see some walking tanks!
    I'm going to assume that that was a real mission that got cut due to time/money. A high-G environment would have made for an interesting battle setting, similar to the ME2 planet with the deadly shield eating sun. Add a little more environmental impact to things other than the number of waist high walls nearby.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I never expected the multiplayer to be as much fun as it actually is. Haven't had too many bad experiences playing with pubs (or are we calling them pugs now?), but I haven't ventured past bronze yet.

Though getting a higher score at L1 than someone who is L20 feels good, even if the scores are irrelevant.
    masseffect3201203261905.jpg

/spoiler]

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    On bronze there's a good chance that every shot that Infiltrator tried to take was messed up by 2 vanguards smacking everything around. I know there helpful but sometimes it really gets annoying.

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Damnit.
    I wanted more Elcor.

Quest tracking is really subpar in the game. I'd like to know what happened with the allocation of dev resources on that one.

was supremely dissapointed we didn't get to go to their homeworld! I was sure we were going to get a really cool high gravity mission where you would land in a stolen Atlas or something (to fight the gravity or whatnot) and fight the Reapers while Elcor evacuated. But no, just planet scanning :( I wanted to see some walking tanks!
    I'm going to assume that that was a real mission that got cut due to time/money. A high-G environment would have made for an interesting battle setting, similar to the ME2 planet with the deadly shield eating sun. Add a little more environmental impact to things other than the number of waist high walls nearby.

Biggest blue balls in gaming history. They've been building up Elcor infantry since like ME1.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Damnit.
    I wanted more Elcor.

Biggest blue balls in gaming history. They've been building up Elcor infantry since like ME1.

There's always the option of multiplayer DLC.

Of course elcor won't be playable though. Possible, yes. They'd be slow, have no rolls, couldn't climb ladders but have e ton of shields. Their guns would fire automatically, so all you have to do is move around really slow. Most boring class ever...

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    milathmilath Registered User regular
    Damnit.
    I wanted more Elcor.

I feel a special 5-mission Elcor DLC coming soon.

Badassedly: I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.
    Lamentably: I'm all out of bubblegum.

steam_sig.png
    "No.. I was wrong. This must be what going mad feels like."

• Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    Watching
    Betraying Mordin on YouTube, cause I couldn't do it in game

and its really weird to see a Male Shephard.
    ........poor Mordin..........

Edit:

Man, half the shit I'm seeing on YouTube I didn't know could happen. Like,
    Mordin can live??
    I thought that was an either or. Man, say what you want about the ending, this is still one hell of a deep and awesome game. Loving the shit out of my 2nd playthrough.

yeah its based on
    if wrex is died in me1 and if your destoryed the data in me2 (then eve dies) mordin/not-mordin realizes curing them is pointless without wrex/eve. i think if you kill mordin with wrex alive he turns up later and you have to take him down and loose krogan support.
    My dickbag Shepard playthrough was rough.
    Shooting Mordin in the back and pumping a clip into Wrex on the Citadel were both heartbreaking.

Jesus fuck! I couldn't do either! man so much to this game I'll never see. Love to read about it though!

• Options
    BrilliantInsanityBrilliantInsanity Charleston, WVRegistered User regular
    I have no idea at what point in this thread this Badassedly stuff started..but I hope it never stops. Is it wrong that I imagine a Samuel L. Jacksonized Elcor every time I read it? I think not.

steam_sig.png

Sixty -40- on Origin for some ME3 goodness.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/brilliantinsanity/
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Once I finish my final "Canon" Shep run I'll probably do a Renegade Earthborne/Colonist and Ruthlessness FemShep. I still have one more play through though (1st play through on canon run was tali romance paragon..second is Liara romance paragon, third is Insanity with Tali and I'll start out with the Class X of every weapon and Level 60 so that should make it a bit quicker.)

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    I don't get all the hate on this game. I'm loving every bit of it!
    I'm Garrus Vakarian and THIS is my favorite spot on the Citadel!

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »

Biggest complaint with that scene?
    They should've let the player take the shot.

Because I'm like 90% sure I would've missed it anyway.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

uh? Everyone loves this game until they don't. That's widely established. its 98% distelled awesome. As the capper of a trilogy its a bit of a failure.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    Well the hate is only focused on the ending, most people liked the other stuff

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    milath wrote: »
    Damnit.
    I wanted more Elcor.

Correction, Badassfully.

• Options
    ZealotZealot Registered User regular
    The Extra Credits dude wrote a little about the ending. (link in spoiler)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Yes indeed, the vast majority of the game is amazing, from the ambient dialog, the squad interactions, and the shooting it is the best in the franchise IMO.

Just those last pesky 5+ minutes drag the enjoyment level way down and leave you scratching your head.

I love it all the same though. Multiplayer has legs and is a joy (and frustration) trying to unlock new shit, and with 99% of the main campaign being great I see myself doing many runthroughs (did my canon VanDerShep first, running though my blue-booty loving FemShep right now), if Bioware does add some more closure to things, great, but I won't be heartbroken if they don't.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Biggest complaint with that scene?
    They should've let the player take the shot.

Because I'm like 90% sure I would've missed it anyway.
    I disagree.
    That moment isn't about whether or not you can hit the target - it's about the nature of your Shepard's relationship with Garrus. I like that I was able to make that determination without having to rely on my sorry shooting skills.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    On bronze there's a good chance that every shot that Infiltrator tried to take was messed up by 2 vanguards smacking everything around. I know there helpful but sometimes it really gets annoying.

yea... that probably wouldn't have played out like that on silver or better, especially given the levels of everybody.

I got a Black Widow and a Salarian Infiltrator yesterday. The RNG really wants me to become a sniper. :|

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Missing felt so good.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Rasing money for charity and sending cupcakes to Bioware clearly shows how immature and over the top Bioware's fans are.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Quick question regarding Priority: Earth (not really spoilers, but still)
    Are the cinematics supposed to play in slow-motion? The Fleets Arrive played out normally, but the scene of Hammer landing in London played in slow-mo, as did the attack on No Man's Land.
    Just wondering if it's a weird glitch, or mean to be dramatic.

Its a glitch, I had the same thing happen to me. Turns out I had a paused 720p video file open in Media Player Classic. Even though it never had any impact on my frame rate in regular gameplay, those cinematics started playing in slow motion. After noticing and closing the video, I reloaded and the cinematics went full speed again. Got anything like that going on with your situation?

Kid Presentable on
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    We are treading some strange semantic territory now. "I don't think it's a bad ending, just unsatisfying"? Guy, that is the same thing!

I haven't looked much at the indoc theory because:

1. It's highly possible based purely on what we know of the Reapers, I don't need to watch a 20 min video to know that
    2. It doesn't actually fix the problem re: actually having an ending I give a shit about

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Shen wrote: »
    We are treading some strange semantic territory now. "I don't think it's a bad ending, just unsatisfying"? Guy, that is the same thing!

1. It's highly possible based purely on what we know of the Reapers, I don't need to watch a 20 min video to know that
    2. It doesn't actually fix the problem re: actually having an ending I give a shit about

You nailed all points.

Its the capper of a trilogy- we need some closeure. And unsatisfying is bad. No way around that.
    Indoc theory while awesome- still leaves us with no closure or even worse a planned DLC ending after the fact.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular

I don't think "not bad" and "unsatisfying" are mutually exclusive.

In fact, I agree with pretty much every point that guy made. I'd rather see context added than the ending rewritten.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Quick question regarding Priority: Earth (not really spoilers, but still)
    Are the cinematics supposed to play in slow-motion? The Fleets Arrive played out normally, but the scene of Hammer landing in London played in slow-mo, as did the attack on No Man's Land.
    Just wondering if it's a weird glitch, or mean to be dramatic.

Its a glitch, I had the same thing happen to me. Turns out I had a paused 720p video file open in Media Player Classic. Even though it never had any impact on my frame rate in regular gameplay, those cinematics started playing in slow motion. After noticing and closing the video, I reloaded and the cinematics went full speed again. Got anything like that going on with your situation?
    Nah, I'm on the Xbox and to my knowledge I didn't have anything running in the background. Like you, my regular gameplay was unaffected.
    I may end up restarting some/all of that section anyway, because I'm not happy with my squad selection. We'll see if a reload sorts it out.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    milathmilath Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    milath wrote: »
    Damnit.
    I wanted more Elcor.

Correction, Badassfully.

Regretfully, tinged with a bit of sarcasm: Of course. My mistake.

:P

steam_sig.png
    "No.. I was wrong. This must be what going mad feels like."

• Options
    edited March 2012
    OptimusZed wrote: »

I don't think "not bad" and "unsatisfying" are mutually exclusive.

In fact, I agree with pretty much every point that guy made. I'd rather see context added than the ending rewritten.

Honestly I can't hold out hope that the folks who thought that was a good ending know what they are doing when they rush to fix it.

And haters may hate the new stuff even harder. Bioware are playing a game where they cannot win. ME3 was a great game but as the capper of 3 a three game story arc is a failure.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

yea... that probably wouldn't have played out like that on silver or better, especially given the levels of everybody.

I got a Black Widow and a Salarian Infiltrator yesterday. The RNG really wants me to become a sniper. :|

Hah, it's the opposite of me--three Salarian Infiltrators, no goddamn sniper rifles. Ever. The RNG wants me to suffer.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Synthesis wrote: »

Hah, it's the opposite of me--three Salarian Infiltrators, no goddamn sniper rifles. Ever. The RNG wants me to suffer.

I cant get an infiltrator card (all other classes fully unlocked) for my life after a mp data wipe.

Which is still happening to people even though bioware says it is not. They are lying.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    BrilliantInsanityBrilliantInsanity Charleston, WVRegistered User regular
    Well hell I got THIS going on:
    MassEffect32012-03-2415-04-34-24.jpg

So some of this MP stuff is all kinds of buggy.

steam_sig.png

Sixty -40- on Origin for some ME3 goodness.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/brilliantinsanity/
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Zealot wrote: »
    The Extra Credits dude wrote a little about the ending. (link in spoiler)
    But it isn't just the lack of closure. It is one thing where the lack of explanations makes sense in the story. The ending fails to answer stuff in ways that doesn't make sense in the story. The ending fails to explain even shit that it is supposed to be explained or definitely should be explained because Shepard would ask for that shit to be explained. The child is supposed to explain the Reapers but he does a piss poor job of it. None of the ending choices are explained properly despite any Shepard would surely ask questions about it. Joker running away for no reason doesn't add any speculation of any value. To make a comparison to movies, there is leaving stuff open to interpretation like whether a main character is a replicant and then there are the Matrix sequels.

There is a difference between keeping shit open to interpretation and just not explaining properly. Not explaining the Reapers at all would leave things open to interpretation. Explaining them in a way that is vague when it wouldn't realistically be vague in the game simply due to Shepard telling the fucker to explain isn't. For example, the synthesis ending would be explained realistically simply if Shepard asked questions about it due to being a huge fucking decision. Instead, Shepard only has the barest idea of it.

The Reapers were supposed to be explained. The child explains them to us. He has no reason to be confusing and leave shit open to interpretation. However, the explanation is a confused mess that leaves a shitload of questions Shepard should have asked. What the fuck is this shit about order and chaos? Why is the destruction of organic life a problem if synthetics are equally alive? Why do they want to preserve organic life as reapers if that isn't part of the solution and they could just make mindless robots to do it? How is preserving DNA preserving the life when life is not DNA and is just a recipe? Why didn't the Reapers rebel if it is in the nature of the created to rebel against their creators? Why not destroy them as soon as they use a relay to make it easier for them? Why couldn't the space child activate the citadel relay himself in the first game? Some of these questions are plot holes while other are shit that my Shepard would definitely ask if only to make a proper decision.

The Reapers being good or whatever contradicts how they act in the previous games. The Reapers are actively malicious in the first two games. Harbinger calls you vermin, likes causing you pain, designed the Collector weapons so that it actively damages the Collectors, the injured Collectors are not repaired despite it being more efficient to do so than creating new ones. Sovereign has a contempt for organic life, says that "organic life is nothing but a genetic mutation, an accident."

As I see it, they attempted to leave what happens after the game open to interpretation but tried to explain the Reapers and the choices but failed.

Couscous on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    See I don't like extra credits or frankly most game reviewers point of views on this. They aren't particularly invested in Mass Effect, but they love anything that's different, regardless of quality.

That's not me, that's not most people, I'm going to play a finite number of games. I would have much rather they went with an ending they knew (almost) everyone would enjoy rather than all the suddenly decide they're fucking Kubrick reborn and try to be deep and complex for the sake of being deep and complex (in a straightforward character story).

override367 on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    They seriously need to change every race's regular melee to a headbutt.

It's the best part of being Krogan.

• Options
    VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular
    I buy video games. I am a patron of the arts.

Thoughts from last night:
    Udina:
    He was an adequate character, but I can't help but feel there were some missed opportunities over the series. In ME was, he as all "human interests" this and "humanity first" that. Regarding council politics, supporting Udina (humanity) was generally the renegade option and supporting the council (galactic drum circle) was the paragon choice. In ME2, while visiting the council, they really should have let Udina give Shepard a little pat on the back for looking out for humanity and helping Cerberus. Not publicly, but as a little private aside.

His characterization at the beginning of ME3 was great. Much more humanizing, and then he helps Cerberus and dies. I actually played though the sequence a few times trying to get an outcome where Udina lives, so I could talk to him. In the end, I went with the version where I shot him. But I really would have liked to know WHY he was working for Cerberus. From him. Have him be captured and give him some other vice than power (or plot device other than indoctrination). Maybe Cerberus was offering to save his family on earth, or threatening to hurt someone close to him. Or maybe they had dirt on him. They could have used it to make him into a bigger monster or more human character. I guess it's better this way. He doesn't have to experience the ending!

However, I did like the idea of putting the council back in their places after they sassed me at the beginning of the game. You know, by shooting a fellow councilor right in front of them.

Council: "Why should we trust you? You sacrificed the last council for your own interests."
    Shepard: "And now I'm an undead cyborg killing machine and you're going against my interests."
    Council: "I don't see how that makes any diff..."
    <blam blam>
    Shepard: "See Udina there? He was going against my interests."
    Council: "..."
    Shepard: "Do we start talking fleets support now, or do we start looking for your successors?"

There needs to be a Volus "Biotic God" Vanguard for multiplayer. I mean, now that the idea's out there, it can't go back in the bag. This MUST be made or modded.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
  • Options
    DarisDaris Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Missing felt so good.

Dear Mr. Vakarian,

It still only counts as one.

Sincerely Yours,
    Shepard

(I wish there were more competitiveness between the two. In combat.)

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Wait, humanizing of Al-Jilani?
    All I did was take a swing at her, she ducked, and then I promptly dropped her with a stiff shot to the gut. She didn't say jack while Shepherd talked some shit to her... just slumped over against the sign behind him, courtesy of a super-shepherd gut shot.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    See I don't like extra credits or frankly most game reviewers point of views on this. They aren't particularly invested in Mass Effect, but they love anything that's different, regardless of quality.

That's not me, that's not most people, I'm going to play a finite number of games. I would have much rather they went with an ending they knew (almost) everyone would enjoy rather than all the sudden decide they're fucking Kubrick reborn and try to be deep and complex for the sake of being deep and complex (in a straightforward character story).

The funny thing is, the "twist" ending is predictable now. So it's not even like they're trying something "new and different!", they're trying what every wannabe "edgy" writer is doing. Go with the predictable and satisfying ending because guys, I've read some of your books; you are no where near the masters of narrative that you think you are.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind