As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SYSTEMS ADMINS & IT MONKEYS] TrackPoint is trademarked. Call it a clit mouse instead.

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I've been pretty pleased with Spiceworks, but we're only managing ~100 devices, max.

We're a Dell shop, and someone made a clever plugin that figures out the Dell Express Service codes and pulls them into it automatically, lets you tie into AD, etc. Haven't bothered setting up the Support Ticketing system because users are dumb and hasn't been an issue. Maybe a project for the future.

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Pretty sure that evaluation is used to show off advanced features, like vMotion, or host teaming and the management of multiple hosts. You should be able to do the same things you tested on Xen on a single host.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    20 minutes before leaving and no email is being received. I check out the spam filter and see no lights. I try the power button and nothing. I pull out and replug in the power cord and hear a pop and smell smoke.

I spend the next hour and a half trying to reconfigure our old spam filter as the primary.

Nice way to start to weekend.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    spiceworks is ok i guess, but man you need to hate yourself and anyone else that will come in to contact with it to put up with its obnoxious adds and UI

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • NathiasNathias Registered User regular
    spiceworks is ok i guess, but man you need to hate yourself and anyone else that will come in to contact with it to put up with its obnoxious adds and UI

Yeah, the UI and ads are pretty terrible.

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    What's the best in free malware removal these days? Windows Defender/MalwareBytes/SuperAntiSpyware still the top of the pack, or is there something better out there?

edited March 2012
    Also, one of my users picked up a virus called "System Check." This virus is a fucking dick.

It deleted everything on the desktop, and all of the start menu, including "my computer" and "control panel." Asshole. Cleared it up, but I'm just gonna roll back to a restore point rather than try to fuck around with trying to fix that shit.

Thanatos on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Also, one of my users picked up a virus called "System Check." This virus is a fucking dick.

It deleted everything on the desktop, and all of the start menu, including "my computer" and "control panel." Asshole.

It's a bitch. But the icons are all hidden in a folder. It really is a dick.

• JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    My father picked that up this week as well. Really irritating.

bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Had a coworker get that on a personal computer, or at least something similar. Moved various files around (personal photos into some obscure folder) and then set a bunch of random/non-random files to hidden, so his A/V couldn't launch or would launch with errors, etc.

So annoying.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Ther's a similar one which sets a bunch of system folders to have 'deny read/execute' permissions for the 'everyone' system group which is really annoying.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    If I'm trying to avoid "nuke it from orbit" the tool I use is Combofix.

I fixed it by rolling back to a restore point from a week ago. Just was easiest, considering we don't really keep anything important on the PCs themselves. I cleared out the virus with MalwareBytes first, though, just in case; I didn't want to fuck around with trying to get the start menu and desktop back, though.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Also you can use Unhide to fix a lot of the shenanigans as well. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic405109.html

MBAM is still my go-to. If that doesn't do the trick, Kaspersky's TDSSKiller is good for rootkits. I'll usually run Cleanup 4.5.2 first (disable sound) to reduce scan times dramatically.

Is there a way to set permissions for a folder such that someone (or a group) can do whatever they want to things in the folder (edit them, add to them, delete them, rename them, etc.), but not move, rename, or delete the folder?

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    The only way I can think of is a share. This way the parent container (the share) has rights different from the inheritable rights propagated to the documents. If they had access to the root they could still delete their share (because of the inheritance) but outside of that, no, I don't think so.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    bowen wrote: »
    The only way I can think of is a share. This way the parent container (the share) has rights different from the inheritable rights propagated to the documents. If they had access to the root they could still delete their share (because of the inheritance) but outside of that, no, I don't think so.
    I want to do this as a matter of course, with all of our files (a few thousand), so I don't think a share is really viable, unfortunately. :?

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    So I just had a user report that they managed to transfer Admin rights in Sage ACT from the old sales manager to "my new account".

The old account was the only one licensed, so now the only account that can actually log into the database no longer has admin rights. I'm told that this change was made over a week ago, so restoring an old database would mean losing hours and hours of work.

Monday! :D

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    So my SSH server blew up today. I don't seem to have any network connection. The cable running into it seems to be fine. I tried restarting the networking daemon, but all I get is a message that "Restarting openntpd: invoke-rc.d: initscript openntpd, action "force-reload failed. run-part: /eth/network/if-up.d/openntpd exited with return code 1" I threw that into Google, but all I got was a bunch of stuff from bug trackers that didn't seem relevant.

Has anyone experienced anything like this/have any tips/checklists?

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
    Seems like whatever you're syncing to with openntpd for time is causing it to crash. Try commenting out the openntpd call in initscript ?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    sendmail.

A beautiful and elegant MTA.

THAT IS INCREDIBLY OBTUSE WHEN RE-CONFIGURING SOMEONE ELSE'S WORK.

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    The problem was upstream from us in the network, as it turns out. I guess that's why openntpd was bugging out, too?

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
    Yeah it would certainly cause it @Mike Danger

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    had a call this morning:
    "I can't get into the timecard maintenance system. It says my user id or password is incorrect!"
    "No problem, I'll just reset your password. Can I have your employee ID number?"
    2 minutes later
    "Well now the password is working, but it says my user ID is wrong."
    ".......Maybe you'd better let me look at that."

steam_sig.png
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    ahahaha... holy shit. That is fabulous tofy.

• punkpunk Professional Network Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I shit you not, I saw this WO at work on Friday.

"User cannot connect to W drive, can't access rioflightops--riophxinflight--riosharefiles, faasfassfa, or something. Unable."

punk on
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Fuck Navision 5.0 and fuck it on Win 7

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    So, one of the school principals caqlls me yesterday because her printer is not working. I make the drive over to check it out, and when I arrive I can see the blinking amber error light from across the room. When I get close enough to read the status screen, it says: "Tray 2 Empty".

So, I look around and find some paper, stuff it in the tray, and like magic, it starts printing.

I shit you not.

This woman has a DOCTORATE degree and makes 2.5 times my salary.

I hate my job.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
    I hope you're comped mileage.

Also they don't do any remote troubleshooting? You could probably see the printer status under the printer management portion of windows and it'd likely have (in big text too!) "OUT OF PAPER"

edited April 2012
    Around here they think if I'm not in their building, I'm not doing any work. I cover 5 schools spread across the county. Thankfully, I have a school vehicle to drive.

I keep meaning to work up some sort of remote solution like putting vnc or teamviewer on every station, but it keeps being pushed to the back burner. Sucks being the only tech.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    edited April 2012
    http://join.me

Have the person share their session and give you the number. (use basic)

bowen on
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »
    So, one of the school principals caqlls me yesterday because her printer is not working. I make the drive over to check it out, and when I arrive I can see the blinking amber error light from across the room. When I get close enough to read the status screen, it says: "Tray 2 Empty".

So, I look around and find some paper, stuff it in the tray, and like magic, it starts printing.

I shit you not.

This woman has a DOCTORATE degree and makes 2.5 times my salary.

I hate my job.

Look at it this way: you get paid a good sum of money without dedicating much effort. Ilk take that over being an over educated idiot who can't fend for themself even with all that money

bowen wrote: »
    http://join.me

Have the person share their session and give you the number. (use basic)

Is that just screen sharing? Because IIRC Crossloop is still free and works like a VNC session.

It lets you take control and, I believe, share files.

The easiest way I've used to take control of my dad's screen remotely without shelling out tons of money for a service.

• ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'll back join.me. It has some issues (if the user is not an admin, you can't log out as the join.me session will die) but works well and is quick to install for basic stuff.

There's also teamviewer instant (http://www.teamviewer.com/download/TeamViewerQS_en.exe) which is nice as it requires nothing but clicking the link, and you to connect from your teamviewer client. But its not free for business use. Teamviewer supports file sharing. I don't think join.me does.

Lastly, if you have a server to connect to at your sites and you are interested, I put together a little script that will push out VNC to any desktop on the network silently without the user knowing, which will allow full control (or allow you to view their session without their knowledge, if needed). I find it handy and will roll it out to everyone whenever we get a new client, just as a failsafe remote support tool. Let me know if you want it.

edit - screw it, here it is: --> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19890840/UVNCDeploy.exe
    Run the .exe and extract it to "C:\" (very important) and follow the instructions in the read.me. It will extract two folders, UVNCdeploy, and PSTools. Your AV, Google Chrome, etc might have an issue with the file as it contains UltraVNC which is a remote viewing tool... so up to you whether you install or not.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
    You are fucking awesome.

Thanks @uean !

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Stupid sales types. When I want to order something it takes a day to get back to me. When I don't want to order something you call every freaking day.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    So I have a user that is opening two instances of a network share, S:\Customer Templates and S:\[Customer name], and copying PDFs from one to the other. They're on the same drive/partition on the server, and the files are under 1MB, but it can sometimes take upwards of 30 seconds to complete. The process just hangs for a bit, and sometimes it will even just quit and not move the file at all.

Could this be an Adobe issue? I had him try copying folders across and it didn't seem to cause the same symptoms.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    So I have a user that is opening two instances of a network share, S:\Customer Templates and S:\[Customer name], and copying PDFs from one to the other. They're on the same drive/partition on the server, and the files are under 1MB, but it can sometimes take upwards of 30 seconds to complete. The process just hangs for a bit, and sometimes it will even just quit and not move the file at all.

Could this be an Adobe issue? I had him try copying folders across and it didn't seem to cause the same symptoms.

Copying from client computer, to local machine, back to the server? Plus probably keeping track of the file permissions along the way.

I imagine if they are both on the same server, if you did it in a console window it would be much faster. Also, copying takes longer than moving. Not sure if you are copying or moving to a new location.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
This discussion has been closed.