As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mad Men

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    "Happy Birthday!"
    "Thank you"
    "How old will you be?"
    "40. So when you're 40, how old will I be?"
    "You'll be dead."

Ahhh, kids

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    It's not like classism and racism are two totally distinct and unrelated biases

He might not be racist against sexy hot chocolate bunnies, but against a cab driver it might be a different story.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Fucking a black person doesn't suddenly make you racially tolerant

Seemed pretty clear he didn't trust that cab driver with the money

• izzybizzyb AdelaideRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    What isn't clear is that he didn't trust the cab driver because he was black, as opposed to because 1960's $100 is more than you trust any cabbie to return. Thats 9% of Harry Crane's monthly wage right there!

izzyb on
    "So, how was everyone's weekend?"
    "Great, we all went water skiing together"
    "We formed a human pyramid"

Peggy - "I was here"

Oh Peggy I've missed you

edited March 2012
    I feel bad for Don's future ex-wife

She's so sweet and earnest
    That is not how you want to be going into a relationship with Don Draper

Also I really just love how some of these character have so subtly but unmistakably matured

The way Peggy just expects people to follow her instructions, instead of going "Hey, FOLLOW my INSTRUCTIONS!"
    or how Pete still wants to impress Don, but he doesn't need to impress Don like he used to

EDIT: And the way Don peeks into the meeting, and Peggy just gives him the little nod to signal him to come in and work a little Draper magic, but without her looking panicked either. It's just part of the routine.

...even if he didn't actually end up working any particular draper magic

Kana on
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Read up the review of the episode on the AV Club as well as the relevant comments. Some people are reading some really interesting power dynamics in that relationship. I don't really think she's as sweet and earnest as you think.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    So very happy AMC streamed the premiere on their site even though I'm in Canada, I was concerned. No cable.

Great episode, obviously no bombs were dropped but it sets the stage for a lot of things. So many good Pete-Roger moments, my god. Very intrigued to see where that goes. Same with Don and Megan. And Pryce and Joan's meeting in the latter half was so fun to watch.

So glad to have this back.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Watching Roger flail is so god damn entertaining.

It's done with such grace.

steam_sig.png
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    finnith wrote: »
    Read up the review of the episode on the AV Club as well as the relevant comments. Some people are reading some really interesting power dynamics in that relationship. I don't really think she's as sweet and earnest as you think.

Assuming youre talking about the Don-Megan thing, yeah, theres something interesting there.

Is it just me or did this episode have more humor in it than any other episode?

• Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »

Assuming youre talking about the Don-Megan thing, yeah, theres something interesting there.

Is it just me or did this episode have more humor in it than any other episode?

I've just started watching the show from the start again with my girlfriend. The first few episodes struck me as being funnier than I remembered them.

Maybe it's just that the drama and despair stays with you longer than the dry humour.

• SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular

I'm getting a bit of a kinky sex vibe. And Don had already shown that he likes to be slapped during intercourse. No telling where this will lead. Of course, he threw a hissy fit once when Betty wore a bikini. Megan doesn't have the mom label though, so perhaps he will be less prudish about her being sexual.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I'm glad to see that Sterling Cooper is breaking racial barriers for the most selfish reasons possible. I just hope that Pete Campbell doesn't get the new hire pregnant, though he probably will.

Also, the sexual dynamics between Don and his new wife make me a little uncomfortable, but it was also ridiculously hot. I was also a little surprised that they didn't end up getting custody of the kids since it previously seemed like Don wanted to rebuild his family life and Betty, meanwhile, has come to view Sally as a burden.

Incidentally, the first time Sally spoke I thought that my sound was broken.

Siska wrote: »

I'm getting a bit of a kinky sex vibe. And Don had already shown that he likes to be slapped during intercourse. No telling where this will lead. Of course, he threw a hissy fit once when Betty wore a bikini. Megan doesn't have the mom label though, so perhaps he will be less prudish about her being sexual.

Didn't Don get mad because he didn't want other people seeing Betty in a bikini?

• finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    It's interesting because you can see from what company each of them keep they are from very different social circles and generations.

I also agree with you @Joe Dizzy, the stuff with Harry and Roger was especially hilarious.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
    http://www.npr.org/2012/03/26/149161109/mad-men-creator-on-whats-next-for-don-draper

For anyone who's interested, there's an interview with creator Matthew Weiner discussing the premier on Fresh Air's website.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I definitely think Lane is going to end up in a gutter beaten to a pulp by the end of the season. I also (and this is an enormous reach) got a strong "I'm gonna jump from this balcony later on" vibe from Megan's scene after the party. But I guess that's part of the reason Mad Men is so good; it can be wildly unpredictable in such well written ways. Or they'll just run someone else over with a John Deere. Either way, thank god this show is back.

As for the ratings, it's nice to see some additional eyes, but I think that'll only last an episode or two. Fortunately, it doesn't matter, since the show is essentially bought and paid for until the end now after this last round of bare knuckle fisticuffs between AMC and Weiner. It's AMC's mantle trophy show for at least another two seasons, even if viewership wanes.

• BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    This episode was amazing. I hope that any worries about the new marriage ruining the show have been put to rest.

I love that Cooper stuck around, I was worried he was really gone after last season.

"Did they see that artifact come in here?"

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Incidentally, the first time Sally spoke I thought that my sound was broken.

Yeah, that...was definitely not the sound I was expecting.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Damn you, Netflix

First Spartacus, now Mad Men

You were supposed to be the case AGAINST traditional television

I wrote that about halfway into the premiere. Now it's definitely... something.

So it's kind of seeming like Pete might finally have a chance to start advertising towards the black market like he wanted to a season or two ago.

Speaking of Pete, it's weirding me out that he's now one of the most likeable dudes in that office. He's still kind of a spaz, but he was also pretty much right re: roger, he's the only person who actually cares about social issues, he's got a pretty decent marriage and he's like the only partner who actually works hard.

• adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    For me, he'll never be able to shed the connortation of being a whiny, self-entitled brat.

I'm watching all the old episodes again, and I never really noticed about Bert Cooper before. Dude is perceptive as fuck. I would believe that he got where he was by constantly being underestimated.

I think he might be my new favorite character.

adytum wrote: »
    For me, he'll never be able to shed the connortation of being a whiny, self-entitled brat.

Hell, for me, he'll never be able to shed being Connor from Angel. Fortunately, he was also a whiny, self-entitled brat, so there's no real discordance between characters.

• GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Cooper is arguably the most moral character of the show. Very wise. I'm glad he's still around this season.

Curious that in a 2-hour premiere we see nothing of Henry and Betty. I imagine we'll see them soon though. The final scene with her and Don last season really made me curious where the writers plan to take the two of them.

• AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    The previews made it look like next week is all about Betty and Henry's problems and their marriage falling apart. Also possibly some plot against Don.

Cooper is arguably the most moral character of the show. Very wise. I'm glad he's still around this season.

Curious that in a 2-hour premiere we see nothing of Henry and Betty. I imagine we'll see them soon though. The final scene with her and Don last season really made me curious where the writers plan to take the two of them.

The show kind of got away from Sterling Cooper until sort of reboot with SCDP. Betty seems to be getting further away, so it'll definitely be difficult to still try and make them relevant, aside from the whole shared custody thing.

Isnt he kind of racist?

Weeeeeeeellll that's why I said "arguably" :P You're probably right though, I may have forgotten those details.

Here's another thing I found very interesting, and I think the AV Club review mentioned it...
    Megan knows Don is really Dick Whitman. What? Something that was such a huge revelation for Betty is common knowledge for Megan in a fraction of the time spent married to him. Maybe it reflects an openness on the part of Don? Learning from his mistakes maybe? I'm hesitant to say Don's changed his spots although the other characters have commented on it. I'm waiting for the first big shake-up in his relationship with Megan. I just think it's fascinating that the Dick Whitman secret is out of the bag so soon and so casually, and she's fine with it!

edited March 2012
    He's an old white, wealthy republican in the 60s. So yes. Hell yes, in fact.

Though compared to his contemporaries, I would bet he is much less so.

Javen on
    I think the shakeup between Don and Megan will have to do with the kids. He married her partly because of her behavior during the trip and how well she handled Sally compared to Betty, but I don't think he realizes that Megan is also part of a new generation with ambitions beyond parenthood. Plus, they made a pretty big point of showing that Megan wasn't interested in Joan's baby.

Also, if you listen to the Fresh Air interview, Weiner gets really cagey when he's asked how the Don/Megan dynamic might change if she were to get pregnant.

My prediction is that Betty will give up custody now that Don's stable so that she can live out her fantasy of a perfect family, but Megan will resent being thrust into the role of parent by Don.

Also, Cooper is way less racist than Sterling, at least if the episode with the Japanese company was any indication

Im not entirely sure Don wants to have more kids anyway (although I could be misunderstanding the look he gave Megan when someone mentioned getting her pregnant), although I could see a change occurring should Dons kids move in with them.

• TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Slate is doing an article series on the role of race in Mad Men as it relates to the integration of the advertising world. Just two so far, but they are phenomenal.

First one here.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I think they did that before the marriage last season, even when they went on the vacation. He stated he felt he could just open up and be himself.

steam_sig.png
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    Hell, for me, he'll never be able to shed being Connor from Angel. Fortunately, he was also a whiny, self-entitled brat, so there's no real discordance between characters.

I was really proud of that one, too. :(

It took me 3 or 4 episodes before I could figure out why I hated the character for seemingly no reason- then the voice finally clicked and it all became clear.

• BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    So it's kind of seeming like Pete might finally have a chance to start advertising towards the black market like he wanted to a season or two ago.

Speaking of Pete, it's weirding me out that he's now one of the most likeable dudes in that office. He's still kind of a spaz, but he was also pretty much right re: roger, he's the only person who actually cares about social issues, he's got a pretty decent marriage and he's like the only partner who actually works hard.

Pete swings back and forth between insufferably annoying and absolutely adorable to me. Even when he's right, he acts like a petulant brat. But he's also just trying to do his best.

Also, I don't think we've seen Bert Cooper being racist. Roger Sterling sang in blackface, but the only racial thing Cooper has been involved in is not being racist against the Japanese. But they mentioned earlier that he's infatuated with Japanese culture (like, in the first season) so who knows.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png

I was really proud of that one, too. :(

It took me 3 or 4 episodes before I could figure out why I hated the character for seemingly no reason- then the voice finally clicked and it all became clear.

Gah Hah! I am the worst! Sorry about that, went right over my head! =P

• DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Just watched all 4 seasons for the first time, over the past few days. Here are some of the notes I wrote down.

Betty is a horrible person, worse mother and a hypocrite.
    Glenn is creepy and useless.
    Salvatore and Carla got such a raw deals that physically angered me both times.
    The Don/Peggy relationship is interesting as long as it stays platonic.
    Alison Brie's voice (and acting, more often than not) is so forced, I facepalm at her every scene.
    There are so many unlikeable characters.

It's entertaining enough, but I'm not sure I'll watch week to week. This kinda show is easier for me to stomach when I watch in marathon viewings. Mostly because there's no time to stop and over analyze which horrible drunks were assholes to other horrible drunks after each episode.

Decoy on