As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Class of Heroes 2 - PSN Release Date is 6/4.

RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
edited May 2013 in Games and Technology
EDIT: Gaijinworks is currently trying to judge demand for a physical UMD version of the game at $35. You can pledge your support for such a product at their official website (gaijinworks.com).

http://kotaku.com/5896727/these-guys-want-half-a-million-to-prove-that-people-still-love-jrpgs
These Guys Want Half A Million To Prove That People Still Love JRPGs
If MonkeyPaw Games raises $500,000, they'll know that gamers still love JRPGs.

The publisher, previously responsible for bringing Japanese role-playing games like Alundra and Vanguard Bandits to the PlayStation Network, is launching a Kickstarter campaign to prove that the beloved genre ain't dead yet.

Tomorrow, MonkeyPaw (and partner Gaijinworks) will kick off their Kickstarter to create a deluxe physical version of the RPG Class of Heroes 2, the company has told Kotaku. They want to release an "old-school package," the type you might have seen in games a decade ago, stuffed with maps and figures and all sorts of other collectibles. To do so, they want half a million dollars.

If this project works out, the team has a "laundry list" of other JRPGs they'd like to bring over to the United States, Gaijinworks president (and former Working Designs head) Victor Ireland told Kotaku this afternoon. Ireland, responsible for the localization of wonderful games like the Lunar series, thinks there's room in the U.S. market for a resurgence of JRPGs.

"There's tons of great RPG and related content in Japan that just isn't making it out because it's just pooh-poohed at unprofitable and written off," Ireland said. "Fortunately with the Vita getting a huge push and its PSP compatibility, we can transition these unloved ugly ducklings so they can finally be seen as the graceful swans we saw all along.

"We're looking at titles on all platforms, but there's a special emphasis on PSP because there's so many titles stuck in Japan that really need to be enjoyed here. However, even though I can't give specific titles, know that we have pursued or are closing deals on all major platforms."

Class of Heroes 2, the sequel to an Atlus-published PSP dungeon crawler (that received rather mediocre reviews), never made it to the U.S. when it was first released back in 2009. Whether or not this Kickstarter is successful, MonkeyPaw says it still plans to release digital versions of Class of Heroes 2 for PSP and its companion, Class of Heroes 2G, for PlayStation 3.

Here are some of the reward tiers that MonkeyPaw and Gaijinworks will make available for this project:

* Custom gold-sealed letters acknowledging pledged hardcore JRPG support from Victor Ireland
* Class of Heroes 2 Deluxe Pack for PSP with bronze/silver/gold commemorative pins per tier
* Class of Heroes 2 Limited Edition character plush toys
* Class of Heroes 2 Poster signed by the entire team
* Inclusion in the game's credits and ability to choose credit placement level with pledge
* Class of Heroes 2 Limited Edition Pocket Watch
* Class of Heroes 2 Limited Edition custom music box
* Grand Tier: All previous tiers and 2-night stay in LA with one hosted day at E3 2012 and dinner
with MonkeyPaw Games and Gaijinworks
* Two tiers off Kickstarter allow a trip to Japan hosted by MonkeyPaw Games and Gaijinworks
to meet the Japanese creators and another that allows fans to be drawn as a character in the
game that will ship.

"This Kickstarter really is a test case for this evolved model of digital/physical hybrids direct to fans," Ireland said. "We're excited to see it work like we think it will and really amp up the RPG market again to satisfy the fans we know are out there."

On the one hand, I'm really excited at the possibility of a new localizer coming on to the scene (or I guess more technically, an old localizer returning) and from what I've heard the Class of Heroes sequels are much better than the original (which got middling reviews). On the other hand, I'm a bit worried that the focus of this kickstarter seems to be the physical aspect. As a teenager, I loved Working Designs' fancy special editions, but as an adult? I honestly just want the game on my computer or consoles's hard drive so it's not taking up space in my house.

RainbowDespair on

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Oh man, if Kickstarter leads to getting translations of games we otherwise wouldn't have gotten, well that would be swell.

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, Yakuza Black Panther, Akiba's Trip, these are all games I want to play without needing some kind of guide.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I'm wondering why they're doing 2 and not 3. Was 2 better received?

For those that don't know the series: "Anime" Wizardry made by the same people that are currently making Wizardry games.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    If this was Gaijinworks teaming up with GameArts, I would seriously cut them a $500 check right now.

But I have never heard of Monkey Paw games in my life. What have they made? My decision to not donate has nothing to do with my love (or lack of love) for jrpgs, but rather with me not being comfortable with throwing around money to an unknown (to me) developer.

Gaijinworks is ok. I trust Vic a lot, and the work they did on blaster master was alright. But they don't really develop games. Bring me a trusted, AAA jrpg developer (like, you know, the people who actually developed the games that the article lists that Vic Ireland's WD translated and published) and I'll be more interested.

• Options
    But I have never heard of Monkey Paw games in my life. What have they made? My decision to not donate has nothing to do with my love (or lack of love) for jrpgs, but rather with me not being comfortable with throwing around money to an unknown (to me) developer.

Monkey Paw games is a publisher (and also close friends with Vic Ireland). They're basically responsible for all of the PS1 imports on the PSN. My guess is that they're fronting most of the money and Vic is bringing the experience.

• Options
    Eh. I'll donate a few bucks then.

But if Vic and Gamearts ever team up again, I'll throw so, so much money their way.

• Options
    What especially has me worried is that there's no indication of digital copies of the game as rewards. Admittedly not a lot of people are like me and own PSP Go systems but anyone who is buying a PSP game in this day and age probably is going to want to be able to play it on the PS Vita eventually.

Generally speaking, the reward tier where you pay a small fee of $5-$15 and get a digital copy of the game is the most popular one. If they're not giving out digital copies of the game, that's going to be a huge blow to their chances at making enough money.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    On the one hand, I'm really excited at the possibility of a new localizer coming on to the scene (or I guess more technically, an old localizer returning) and from what I've heard the Class of Heroes sequels are much better than the original (which got middling reviews). On the other hand, I'm a bit worried that the focus of this kickstarter seems to be the physical aspect. As a teenager, I loved Working Designs' fancy special editions, but as an adult? I honestly just want the game on my computer or consoles's hard drive so it's not taking up space in my house.

This about a thousand times over. I loved WD's localizations in the SegaCD and Saturn days, but some of the stuff they packed in with their PS1 releases was just overdone. The day I tossed that stupid punching puppet in the trash was the day I felt truly free.

That, and it doesn't seem like there's actually a shortage of jRPG releases these days; it seems like there's more coming out then I could possibly ever make enough time to play, so the whole "prove you love jRPGs" angle doesn't make a lot of sense.

Still, anyone doing more translations is a good thing.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Heh, all the people that kept saying Kickstarter's fine for devs, but imagine the reception when a publisher steps in...well, here's a test.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Heh, all the people that kept saying Kickstarter's fine for devs, but imagine the reception when a publisher steps in...well, here's a test.

Well, Working Designs was different than most publishers/localizers in that they tended to modify the games they brought over. Sometimes this was for the best (improved balance, better UI), other times this was for the worst (messing with or removing things that were fine to begin with).

• Options

Well, Working Designs was different than most publishers/localizers in that they tended to modify the games they brought over. Sometimes this was for the best (improved balance, better UI), other times this was for the worst (messing with or removing things that were fine to begin with).

Yup, they went a step beyond usual translation teams. An example of a time they actually broke a game is Exile 2 on the PC Engine Duo. Incredible game, that they completely destroyed because they changed a single value by accident which affected the way enemies changed when you leveled up, which wound up making the game impossibly hard. I read an interview with Vic on the problem, and he suggested never leveling up to try and fix it.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Apparently Monkey Paw is planning on releasing the digital version even if this Kickstarter fails

It seems the Kickstarter is entirely about releasing a deluxe physical version of the game, which honestly I'm only mildly interested in personally

• Options
    Actually, it seems at least some of the Kickstarter money will be going toward the localization itself?

This is really weird and somewhat murky

From the NeoGAF thread
    vireland wrote:
    It's not *just* for the Deluxe Pack, that's the misconception. It's a large focus, but not the only one. The first three reward tiers are specifcally for those that want to buy it on DD when it's done, but want to support the project and allow us more budget to do a more top-to-bottom localization like you would see in the WD days (improved controls, shortcuts, extra saves, expanded voice work, etc, etc). DD supporters of the first three tiers is just as important as the tiers above.

So the game is being localized regardless, and the Kickstarter is for a "better localization" and also the Deluxe Pack? I dunno, I don't think I can really get behind this Kickstarter, but I'll probably buy a digital copy of the game once it comes out anyway. I think one of the most damning bits is that the physical copy does not come with a digital copy.

• Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Actually, it seems at least some of the Kickstarter money will be going toward the localization itself?

This is really weird and somewhat murky

From the NeoGAF thread
    vireland wrote:
    It's not *just* for the Deluxe Pack, that's the misconception. It's a large focus, but not the only one. The first three reward tiers are specifcally for those that want to buy it on DD when it's done, but want to support the project and allow us more budget to do a more top-to-bottom localization like you would see in the WD days (improved controls, shortcuts, extra saves, expanded voice work, etc, etc). DD supporters of the first three tiers is just as important as the tiers above.

So the game is being localized regardless, and the Kickstarter is for a "better localization" and also the Deluxe Pack? I dunno, I don't think I can really get behind this Kickstarter, but I'll probably buy a digital copy of the game once it comes out anyway. I think one of the most damning bits is that the physical copy does not come with a digital copy.

Well I had originally thought the reason was because the digital version (and its PS3 counterpart apparently) were getting released regardless. Since the money wasn't going for the digital version, it wasn't part of the deal. Now that it's gone kind of partially the other way, yeah, it almost seems a bit weird and shady.

Honestly, I think Victor's crazy ass is asking a lot from people. A $500,000 kickstarter for the sequel to a middlingly reviewed game on a dead system, on media that won't play on the newest console that will play the digital version that's going to get released anyway?... I really think he's reaching. That mixed with it being Vic and his new company doing the localization? Unless they're already 90% done with the game, by the time this physical version comes out, the PSP will be long long since dead. It just all around seems really odd, and immensely far fetched, and that's without even getting into my eventual dislike of WD.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Even with "middling" reviews, Class of Heroes is a very fun game. It's everything you could possibly want out of a Wizardry clone. Tons of gear, lots of dungeons to explore, great party dynamics and abilities. It's light on the story, but most Wizardry games are. I'm excited at the prospect of localizing another one.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, I'm definitely excited about this, but then I was able to enjoy the first Class of Heroes too because I enjoy Wizardry.

But it still feels like a weird choice of a game for them because it is the nichest of niche titles on a dead console.

EDIT: And also by "excited" I mean I'm looking forward to the game being released, this actual Kickstarter is still really iffy in my mind and unless the early reward tiers have something really neat accompanying them I can't see myself pledging anything to this.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    I remember Working Designs for taking forever to complete their localizations, and then bundling the games with worthless shit that inflated the price of the games even further. Not that I feel this "project" would be worth giving a penny too even if there was somebody with a sense of responsibility at the helm either.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I rather really liked the deluxe boxes. Call me a sucker. I still have most of them sitting under my TV on a shelf too!

That said, this kickstarter seems dumb. If you're going to mention the Vita, realize people will want a digital copy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Class of Heroes is honestly pretty assey compared to Wizardry or EO.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Even with "middling" reviews, Class of Heroes is a very fun game. It's everything you could possibly want out of a Wizardry clone.
    Let's be specific here, it's everything you could possibly want if you're either a fan of the Japanese Wizardry games or feel a hankering for what the series was like in the 80s.
    If you're a fan of Wizardry 8 then CoH is fun, but really shallow. Severely limited party customisation, complete lack of any inter-party interaction in the game, NPC interaction pretty much locked to shops and the person who tells you what to do next... it's a first person dungeon crawler with puzzly maps and little more.

Personally I'd throw so much monies at a project to bring Wiz8 to a handheld. Or develop a spiritual sequel with similar depth.

Glal on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Really glad to see this is coming out as a digital product regardless of the kickstarter. I really love the genre and found the first game to be exactly what I wanted. If the second one is better then bring it on!!

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    I really can't think of a worse series to try this on.

I could see getting a million for RGC 2 from crazy fans but you're asking for half of that for a psp game that is going to be released digitally no matter what from a series that did not do well in its first attempt.

• Options
    I would donate 100$ to retro game challenge 2 without a minutes hesitation.

If thats what you were talking about.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yes.

I'd go a hundo for that as well.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Class of Heroes really was a poor man's EO. Although if the sequel gives it a bit of vajazzle then maybe I can get on board with that.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I would place at least a $100 down for Valkyria Chronicles 3 or the Yakuza: Black Panther games.

• Options
    VC3 is definitely the one I'd drop a hundred on, no question.

Anyway the first three reward tiers kind of blow, and the next one up from that is $59 for the physical copy of the game. Welp, no dice on this one.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    I would place at least a $100 down for Valkyria Chronicles 3 or the Yakuza: Black Panther games.

Kenzan > Everything else.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited March 2012

True. Though I did import that one. And there's a story translation guide for it on gamefaqs.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options

True. Though I did import that one. And there's a story translation guide for it on gamefaqs.

I'm not sure I could do that. I've played a number of Japanese demos and sometimes I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing. And the idea of following a guide solely to know what's going on doesn't seem to appealing.

But anyway, Monkey Paw Games also helped Vic get his Working Designs games up on the NA PSN and have slowly been getting those games on the SCEE stores as well (Arc the Lad II is coming this week in fact).

• Options
    Reading over the original Kotaku article again, it feels like they're placing too much importance on the success of the Kickstarter in order to go forward with their plans to continue localizing PSP RPGs.

This whole thing feels backward, considering it's the Vita that's allowing them to go forward with this, and yet they're trying to sell people UMDs.

• Options
    They really need to add in another tier under $60 that gets you a digital copy of the game.

• Options
    If they offered a digital copy, I'd sign up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That's where I am right now

I actually like stupid deluxe edition stuff, but I do not want a physical copy of the game, nor do I want to buy the game twice (once physical, once digital)

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I don't understand why they need half a million for localisation, or quite why they aren't letting users preorder digital copies.

Edit: Okay, looks like they will localise it regardless and this is just for a physical copy with a treasure trove of tat. So, that's kind of strange and has no real chance of working.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I'd be all over this if the game provided was the PS3 version. But it's not so...

Also, Class of Heroes was an AWESOME game and so much better then the horrible repetitive grindiness that EO is. It's too bad the UI was such crap.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I'd be all over this if the game provided was the PS3 version. But it's not so...

Also, Class of Heroes was an AWESOME game and so much better then the horrible repetitive grindiness that EO is. It's too bad the UI was such crap.

They've already said that they plan on localising Class of Heroes 2G at one point as well.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Anyone have a link to the kickstarter? I don't like to click on Kotaku at work.

I'd be all over this if my PSP battery charger didn't bite the dust. Actually I have no idea where my PSP is right now..

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

They've already said that they plan on localising Class of Heroes 2G at one point as well.

I know. I juyst don't want to give 60$ to be able to buy ANOTHER 60$ game later.

• Options
    RaggieRaggie Schattenjäger Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I really liked CoH so I'm happy to hear someone finally picked up a sequel. The deluxe version is probably really tasty too, but I'd like to know the contents before I commit to anything.

EDIT: Victor Ireland had this to say in NeoGaf about CoH1:

I did earlier in this thread or maybe in the KS localization thread, but the basic thing is that it was tedious to play. EXTREMELY tedious. There were tons of little stupid things that interrupted any flow you might get into. It was stuff like:

Having to pay to see what loot you collected actually was

When you got back to school after each dungeon having to restore magic to your magic users and then healing each party member manually because it was too expensive to rest and restore MP/HP for your group.

Shock tiles/traps were super annoyingly placed (cheap shots)

Operations required too many keypresses that really added up.

Dull dungeons.

etc, etc, etc

The CHORE of playing overwhelmed whatever good was there. It's stuff that could have been fixed in a few days or a week in localization, but just wasn't.

Some of that's already fixed in CoH2 as we have it (improved dungeons and other items), and I have a rather extensive list of stuff I'd like to do to streamline play to keep players in the flow. How much of that and extra stuff I want to do (extra save slots, for one), depends on the KS support level. I really think we'll get the support to do it all, but even if we fail the digital release will still be worlds better than CoH1.

Raggie on
    ypvha57nnenm.jpg