As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Thread About Movies

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    On Miyazaki: I can absolutely see why someone wouldn't be over the moon with Kiki or find Laputa relatively humdrum. I don't think that every one of his films is a masterpiece, and I'd say that when it comes to character animation the movies aren't brilliant, by and large.

However, I honestly don't understand how someone can watch Princess Mononoke or Spirited Away and not see how inventive and dynamic they are in purely cinematic terms, how inventive in terms of art direction, or how deeply felt and willing not to be crowd-pleasers at the cost of narrative integrity they are. Even in those films of his that I'm not a big fan of (e.g. Howl's Moving Castle - although, to be fair, I got a published article out of it, so thank you, Miyazaki-San :D) I find a lot to appreciate, not least in the films' generosity - here's a wonderfully imagined character, there's a beautiful backdrop, here's a small, subtle detail in the animation etc. It's not like the films are so obscure that you have to have a degree in animeology to see these things, I would think. You don't have to like them, but not seeing them? That I don't get.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    They are not Citizen Kane or The Godfather or The Graduate or anything. They're just solid, fun movies.

Tangent here, but really? You're putting The Graduate up with Kane and Godfather?

Did I miss something, because I thought The Graduate was a poorly paced and unbelievable drama with a serious overuse of Scarborough Fair in the second half.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Just watched Altman's The Long Goodbye. The single most mind-blowing thing that just blew my mind was near the end when you realize that huge muscle buff with the moustache is
    pre-fame Arnold Schwarzenegger, totally uncredited. Schwarzenegger in a film with Sterling Hayden. Holy shit.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Houn wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    They are not Citizen Kane or The Godfather or The Graduate or anything. They're just solid, fun movies.

Tangent here, but really? You're putting The Graduate up with Kane and Godfather?

Did I miss something, because I thought The Graduate was a poorly paced and unbelievable drama with a serious overuse of Scarborough Fair in the second half.

I thought Graduate was a pretty excellently-made comedy-drama that goes beyond simple entertainment to be something more. I wouldn't say it's of the same caliber as Godfather, but I was just trying to think of an example of a movie that was really good and it just sort of popped into my head.

(Kane is difficult to comment on because it's a pioneering movie that advanced the artform, yet it doesn't really hold up well against modern fare.)

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Just watched Altman's The Long Goodbye. The single most mind-blowing thing that just blew my mind was near the end when you realize that huge muscle buff with the moustache is
    pre-fame Arnold Schwarzenegger, totally uncredited. Schwarzenegger in a film with Sterling Hayden. Holy shit.

that was indeed an epic stache.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    brb, going to see The Hunger Games.

God help me.

Based on what I've managed to learn from Ross's preferences, I predict he'll find it painfully adequate.

You are correct, sir. I'm going to post a review here in a minute over at the Hunger Games thread, but yes, I thought it was mostly shit.

Jennifer Lawrence acquitted herself nicely. That's about the most benevolent thing I can say about it.

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Sorry I didn't pipe in on it earlier, but I appreciate the response to my comments on The Fountain. I liked the interpretations you guys came up with, most of it sort of fell in line with how I saw things. Now that I've thought it over some more I can see where maybe I was missing things that would've made my experience a little richer. I also think I was unbelievably tired when I watched it, so that may have hindered things.

I'll put it under the "should watch again sometime" column.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    elkatas wrote: »
    I know, I know. Anecdotes are about all I have. I've gone on record here in this thread about my utter bewilderment at Miyazaki's work. I just don't get it.

It might have something to do with me not having come across anyone with anything of depth or substance to say about the value of his work, w/r/t his films' subtext or commentary or progression of the artform. I haven't read or heard any analysis of his work beyond, "it's magical and enchanting, for children of all ages!"

To me, they just seem: nice. For kids. And I generally have little value for things that are "for kids."

The definition of art is that it introduces something as a focus for thought and creates point of view from which we experience the art piece. The artist has taken this point of view for specific reason, and by doing that, it expresses artists emotions and ideas. Art doesn't teach us moral guidelines, but when piece of art succeeds in its job, it clarifies us how we should feel in specific situations that are part of our aspirations as a human.

Miyazaki's works typically introduce the children's world as a focus for thought. Even when Miyzaki's work celeberate innocence, discovery and wonder of being children, it is all about holding to them while maturing to an adult. The general underlining theme is one of elegy. Miyazaki's work gives us idyll of peaceful world where aformentioned feelings are important, and celebrates it. When we focus on his works, we don't feel just as a reaction. Instead we work on these feelings exactly like Miyazaki had done when he created his work. When we feel these feelings inside us, and they are processed in proper manner, it clarifies that us that these feelings are both attainable and real for us. It means that it is right and even possible to have childlike curiosity as an adult.

What makes Miyazaki's work so important is that unlike most pepople who create children's movies, he manages to do this without being sentimental, preachy, and using terrible cliches. He has message, but it is result of doing art, not result of trying to push specific message. It is not really that easy feat, especially in current, market driven society.

* used here in the most loosest term

EDIT: Clarified few bits.

I don't know - I'm not super familiar with everything Miyazaki's done - I've only seen the big two and half of Laputa Castle in the Sky. But Princess Mononoke is the very definition of preachy. It is very much a message movie and practically screams "guys, don't hate, there's shades of grey everywhere" and "progress comes at a cost, but we have balance our priorities" and "Everything would work out if we just sat down and talked about it, stubbornly pushing ahead no matter the cost leads to disaster*". All of which might be true but it lays down these themes very strongly.

*Unless you're Ashitaka who is self-aware.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Soon I will watch Jiro Dreams of Sushi and then go eat sushi. Cheap-ish sushi? Absolutely.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    So, I watched Clash Of The Titans. I wrote about it on my blog which I'll link rather than post because it's pretty long.

The short of it: I did not like that movie.

The long of it is similar, just more spoilers and cursing.

I will say, though, Zeus Neeson was less distracting a casting choice than I'd figured going in. Maybe because most of the casting already had me going "The fuuu--?". Also I now have a 1% hope of there someday being a live action Saint Seiya movie, so that's a net positive.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    It looks like I won't be seeing Wrath of the Titans. Why? Because apparently there won't be non-3D showings in my city.

:(

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    So, the news is that pretty soon, the 3D surcharge will disappear... in part because 2D prices will rise to meet the lowering 3D prices. Which in essence means that people who watch movies in 2D will be subsidizing the 3D screenings; and that movie prices overall will continue their inexorable march toward pricing families right out of the theater.

Any movie thread thoughts on this? Worst thing ever, or even worse than that?

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    I've noticed that a few theatres I go to downtown don't have matinees anymore, or cheap Tuesdays.

Times have changed.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    It's probably due to two things.
    Hollywood mostly churning out crap throughout the year.
    We can get entertainment from our internets, cables, etc.

• Options
    EddEdd Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Any movie thread thoughts on this? Worst thing ever, or even worse than that?

Here's what I know. We went out to see John Carter at the time posted for its 2D showing. Turns out it was only showing in 3D, at a surcharge.

We did not see John Carter.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    I will not go see 3d movies. I specifically go out of my way to see the non 3d version which actually can be challenging now. I think for both Hugo and TinTin there was only one non 3d showing a day in the theaters in my area.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    armageddonboundarmageddonbound Registered User regular
    Speaking of Miyzaki, I just saw the Mill and the Cross and it reminded me of spirited away. They are completely different movies, dont get me wrong, but in both, random stuff happens and then it's over, but both are amazingly beautiful. Some of the indoor natural light shots in the Mill and the Cross are just amazing. Even the actors and "action" in those scenes feel genuine.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    john carter was a terrible experience

maybe a total of 5 minutes of it were worthwhile, mostly times where history was being revealed or cool architecture was shown... like the visual elements of the world and the races.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    My partner and I used to go to the cinema often, being movie buffs. Nothing pretentious, we just like seeing cool things on big screens, and pretend to kids again for a bit.

Now tickets are $18 each. Plus online booking fee ($2 a ticket). Plus parking (depending on time of day, can be up to $25).

We both make a very good living, have no debts, live together, and save heaps of money.

We can no longer justify going to cinemas.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Speaking of Miyzaki, I just saw the Mill and the Cross and it reminded me of spirited away. They are completely different movies, dont get me wrong, but in both, random stuff happens and then it's over, but both are amazingly beautiful. Some of the indoor natural light shots in the Mill and the Cross are just amazing. Even the actors and "action" in those scenes feel genuine.

Huh. I've been wanting to see that movie ever since I accidentally found a promo pic of Rutger Hauer that ended up being my desktop for the sheer curiosity of the image-searching, plaintive expression, funny little hat, strange painterly windmill in the background...didn't know what it was until I saw the same image for the cover of it on Netflix now.

Maybe tonight's the night for some of that.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    MrIamMe wrote: »
    My partner and I used to go to the cinema often, being movie buffs. Nothing pretentious, we just like seeing cool things on big screens, and pretend to kids again for a bit.

Now tickets are $18 each. Plus online booking fee ($2 a ticket). Plus parking (depending on time of day, can be up to $25).

We both make a very good living, have no debts, live together, and save heaps of money.

Where do you live that movies cost $18 each?

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    MrIamMe wrote: »

Where do you live that movies cost $18 each?

I live on the north side of Seattle. My usual theater is up to $11.50 for an adult ticket, $8.25 for child. Before online fee and 3D surcharge.

And speaking of 3D...

Fuck 3D.

1. My wife and I both wear glasses. You can't 3D glasses over glasses. That's too many glasses!
    2. The glasses are too big for children's heads. My children spend all movie complaining that the glasses either won't stay on, or that their arms hurt from holding them up the whole fucking movie. And every kids movie is in 3D now.
    3. 3D was invented by Cthulhu to soften the brains of the sheep that he will feast upon when he finally returns to this world.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    It's a pretty big jump from $11.50/ticket to $18/ticket.

• Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    I can't justify the cost of movies anymore.

Mostly because DLP (or whatever they're using now, especially the shitty iMax-lite theatres) looks like a giant heap of ass, and I'm not spending $40 to look at something worse than what I can see on a TV at home.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    my "local" cineworld has a deal where its just £15 a month for all you can eat unlimited card for showings, they have a surcharge for 3d films of £1.50 each and with their new imax screen for £4.50, its a pretty sweet deal and they don't care if you abuse the hell out of it such as seeing 5-6 films every friday on their release dates or prior weeks stuff you've missed..

of course we still avoid 3d films when possible because then to be pointless and add nothing. now we are going to make sure each imax film we see is actually shot for imax after the hunger games pretty much ripped us off in that regard.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    Movies here are usually around 12-13 bucks, but if you go on a Tuesday they are about 7 bucks I believe. Once I move downtown I will probably just go to the theaters on Tuesdays since at the moment the theaters that do the Tuesday deal where I live currently don't often have great movies.

NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    AMC is a pretty reasonable chain. They have pretty cheap matinees; I saw Hunger Games yesterday for $5.

• Options
    The AMC theaters around here stopped doing matinees. Don't know if they only do them later in the spring and summer though.

I think the matinees and Tuesday deals get better in the summertime.

• Options
    EddEdd Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    It was sort of a shame to see that Tower Heist streaming deal fall through. I would have liked to see that become a precedent that offers a real alternative to actual theater-going.

I love theaters for a few types of movie-going, but they're terribly inconvenient for me and mine on levels up to and including the money. On the other hand, I have a damned good home theater, and would be just as happy to pay / split a sort of mini exhibition fee (I think it was $40?) to host a big group of people in the comfort of my home.

How would the rest of you feel about that sort of option?

Edd on
  • Options
    EupfhoriaEupfhoria Registered User regular
    I really liked reading the interpretations of The Fountain; its interesting to see what others thought about it. I always took the conquistador and future storylines to be part of his wife's book, and the present day storyline to be the only 'real' one.

I suck at analyzing movies though...

I've watched a bunch of really good movies, and a couple crappy ones, in the last 2 months-ish, but I feel like if I talked about them here it would just boil down to 'Liked that one, that one sucked, this one was good but too long' etc.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Speaking of Ben Stiller, apparently he's in a movie this summer called Neighborhood Watch, the future of which is now in question because of the Florida shooting brouhaha.

Must feel shitty to have your movie potentially torpedoed by some completely unanticipatable current events.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Gim wrote: »
    Soon I will watch Jiro Dreams of Sushi and then go eat sushi. Cheap-ish sushi? Absolutely.

I'm doing this tomorrow with my friend Corrinna, but we're going for the expensive stuff after.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    It costs about $15-$20 depending on when you see the movie/3D/3D w/ super seating and super surround sound at my theater. All of those prices are ridiculous.

However my theater has a nice setup where any ticket for a movie not in the super awesome theaters up front (which all of them get at least a couple showings in the crappier theaters) between 4 and 5:30 only costs $5.50

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Houn wrote: »
    2. The glasses are too big for children's heads. My children spend all movie complaining that the glasses either won't stay on, or that their arms hurt from holding them up the whole fucking movie. And every kids movie is in 3D now.

I took my daughter to see Phantom Menace in 3D and I had to bring various hair accessories to strap them to her head or else they fell off. 3D is stupid and 3D glass are stupid and I hate the whole phenomenon.

As to prices, though, they're not too bad around here if you're smart. Early-bird special at the AMC theater for $5.75 a ticket, when regular prices are $11. There's also a small theater downtown that shows slightly older movies (maybe 3 months old) for $3.50. Downside being that it's about $12 in gas to get there.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Man, you'd think they'd want to make a good impression on the kids. Didn't even think about that.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I absolutely hate wearing the glasses. I stick my fingers in my eyes every day to avoid wearing glasses and then I have to pay extra to put shit on my face that doesn't belong there.

I will say the avengers trailer in 3d is the first time I literally ever got excited about 3d. It looked impressive and I got into it from a comic-mimickery perspective.

I'd still rather just watch in 2d though.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Paying more for 2D to subsidize 3D is something I could not be more against. If you want to see something in 3D, then you're going to pay more.
    I'm guessing it's more of a justification for raising prices though, and that it actually has very little to do with 3D. It once again proves that most of the people in charge of theater ticket pricing are completely braindead.
    The fact that their reaction to 'fewer people are going to cinemas, largely because of the stupidly high prices' is 'well let's price gouge the hell out of those who are still going' is bad enough. They're just going to dissuade those people as well. I love going to the movies, and I've gotten to the point where I can't really justify it unless it's half price Tuesday.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I've only seen one movie in 3D, and that was avatar. While it was simply amazing, I didn't like the glasses, and often found myself adjusting them.

Seeing the movie in 2D, it looked much better, and brighter, than the 3D version.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Toy Story 3 was pretty cool in 3D and my girlfriend said that How to Train Your Dragon was amazing in 3D.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    3d glasses don't really annoy me. Even when I saw Tin Tin in 3d and hat to sit in the second row.

Though I don't go out of my way to see movies in 3d, that is until this year. Definitely going to go see Prometheus in Imax 3d.

This discussion has been closed.