As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition] PC version ETA Nov 30

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Thankfully the HP drain doesn't trigger an audio cue from Khalid or a damage notification in my chat window or else it'd run the risk of driving me insane instead.

Edit: Though I must say, after playing BG1 again for the past week and actually keeping an eye on the loot I get, I'm starting to feel that the complaints that both Item Revisions and SCS make in order to justify removing essentially all +1 weapons in both BG1 and BG2 ("There are too many +1 items lying around!") and replacing them with weaker "masterwork" weapons that won't work on enemies that require magic weapons to be hit are simply overblown. I'm about to hit up the Cloakwood Mines now, and I've honestly not found all that many magic weapons and even less magic armor.

For weapons I've found, going by memory:
    1 Masterwork War Hammer (from Taugosz)
    1 Masterwork Dagger (I forget where)
    1 Masterwork Halberd (from a cave near Nashkel)
    1 Masterwork Quarterstaff (from Silke)
    1 Masterwork Flail (from Icharyd outside Ulcaster)
    1 +1 sling (don't remember where, I think from some assassins)
    1 +3 cursed Greatsword (the berserking one from Brage)
    1 +3 cursed Longsword (Vampire's Revenge, as above)
    1 +2 cursed Katana (Tsu-o-shi, I believe. It's fucking worthless)
    1 +2 War Hammer (the Rift Hammer, from Bassilus)
    1 +2 Longsword (Varscona, from Greywolf)
    1 +2 Shortsword (from one of those bandit groups near Nashkel)
    1 +2 Dagger (from the tomb-robber outside the Nashkel mines)

That's it so far and I'm in chapter 5. I hardly think that's some insane list of magical loot. Most of the Masterwork weapons that would be +1 in vanilla BG1 are generally weapons you're not going to see many party members with proficiencies for; if you're not a Cleric or planning to be a Cleric, your character isn't likely to have them either (most NPC clerics have mace proficiencies)! The +2 Katana was added in by Item Revisions and is absolutely terrible, while the two +3 weapons have significant, but workable, downsides. The +2 longsword and shortsword are pushing it a bit, but both of those are incredibly common proficiencies, so it's likely that multiple people in a party could make use of each one, thus ensuring that someone's going to still be left wanting. The +2 dagger is practically vendor food.

There's no excuse for the Rift Hammer though. It's powerful even by BG2 standards and has no real place in BG1, especially in the hands of someone most parties can take out by level 2.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Alright, I'll take the plunge into Baldur's Gate the first.

I expect much suffering!

Now to decide which class Charname will be this time. I remember my first was a paladin, I liked him. Then he was reincarnated something like twelve times as a sorcerer with a brief stint as a wild mage.

I spent way too much time laughing at the glorious and horrible things sorcerers could do.

-/Actually, does IWD2 work on Windoze 7 nowdays? I never did finish that due to technical trouble after my last computer got hit by lightning and I've regretted it ever since. The huge fights against the orcs were so much fun.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    Well what classes do you like to play? That's usually a pretty good starting point.

IWD2 works perfectly fine in Win7. I've had it installed for nearly two years but, to my great shame, haven't gotten around to playing it much. In my
    defense, though, I get absolutely crippled by decision paralysis when I'm presented with a full party of characters to build. Maybe once I'm done with BG.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    Both of these are on Khalid.

I wonder how Khalid feels about that.
    Ouch. Aaaaah. Ow! Aaaaah. Ouch. Aaaaah. Ow! Aaaaah. Ouch. Aaaaaah. Ow! Aaaaah.
    If it doesn't drive him insane, it would probably turn him into a masochist.

He's married to Jaheira. I think he already is one.

My suggestion for party building in IWD2 would be to go for a theme, or think of how to build a really dedicated army smashing squad.

I had great success holding my formation with a fighter mix of some sort, a fighter cleric, a cleric, a sorcerer and a token thief/mage who existed to memorize every arcane scroll I found. I rather liked the notion of having two dwarves up front with a human cleric behind them and a couple invisible mages skulking around.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    korodullin wrote: »
    Both of these are on Khalid.

I wonder how Khalid feels about that.
    Ouch. Aaaaah. Ow! Aaaaah. Ouch. Aaaaah. Ow! Aaaaah. Ouch. Aaaaaah. Ow! Aaaaah.
    If it doesn't drive him insane, it would probably turn him into a masochist.

He's married to Jaheira. I think he already is one.

If at first I don't succeed, the wife won't let me forget.

I always wondered why she refused to have him resurrected.

I mean, I had the magic. I could rebuild him.

9KmX8eN.jpg
    Well that actually had in-game precedent. In AD&D, a badly mauled body prevented raise dead spells, and would require higher level, and usually unavailable spells.

So my "raise him as a zombie and keep him as a pet" idea might have failed too, huh?

9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited March 2012
    Which is also why "chunked" party members are dead for good and can never be brought back.

Edit: So I'm in the Cloakwood Mines now, having just freed Yeslick whom I was planning on making one of my core party members. Right now my party as it stands is: Charname, Khalid, Coran, Garrick, Xan, and Quayle. I was originally going to dump Khalid for Yeslick, but that was before I found the delightful Vampiric Sword + regen cloak combo, so now I am torn on whether or not losing Khalid's amusingly broken equipment combo is worth it. If I took on Yeslick I could shift the regen cloak onto Xan, which would not only make him more survivable (he's actually proving to be surprisingly capable as support melee due in part to some changes Item Revisions made to a robe, though he's still a tad squishy) thanks to the cloak's awesome werewolf shapeshift, but also free up Quayle's Cleric spell slots to focus more on either healing or buffing, allowing Yeslick to take the other half of the load. I'm still seriously considering taking Yeslick, but I'm just not completely sold on losing a solid tank with a +3 sword.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    All will be well until you discover something that needs to be hit with that plus three sword.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    What does an enchanted weapon mean in Baldur's Gate? What does it improve?

• Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Rizzi wrote: »
    What does an enchanted weapon mean in Baldur's Gate? What does it improve?

To-hit and damage. A +1 weapon, for example, adds +1 to your chance to hit the enemy and +1 to the damage you do.

• DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    plus they are classed as magic weapons and some things can only be hit by magic weapons.

Deaderinred on
    I'm not sure about BG, but in AD&D, magic weapons also improved weapon speed by the +X bonus, and become 0 weight items.

• Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    plus they are classed as magic weapons and some things can only be hit by magic weapons.

Furthermore, some things require a specific enchantment level to hit, i.e. can only be hit by +3 or greater weapons or what have you.

• Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    I'm not sure about BG, but in AD&D, magic weapons also improved weapon speed by the +X bonus, and become 0 weight items.

Wasn't weapon speed an optional rule?

God damn, it's been a long, long time since I even thought about AD&D rules. Am I thinking of the piercing/blunt/slashing difference?

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Vi Monks wrote: »

Furthermore, some things require a specific enchantment level to hit, i.e. can only be hit by +3 or greater weapons or what have you.

Demogorgon is smiling a smug grin somewhere..

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

God damn, it's been a long, long time since I even thought about AD&D rules. Am I thinking of the piercing/blunt/slashing difference?

Probably, but not at our table :P Yes, the blunt/piercing/slashing stuff was AD&D1, but I'm pretty sure it existed as optional from some source in 2nd.

I really wish I had a copy of the BG2 manual.
    I remember that thing being pretty impressive. Wonder if I could find one somewhere.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I remember that thing being pretty impressive. Wonder if I could find one somewhere.
    http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?view.314

edited March 2012
    I'm not entirely sure, but I don't believe there are any enemies in BG1 that require +3 weapons to hit, which would be horrible since most, if not all, of the +3 weapons in the game are cursed.

Weapon speed was optional. There's also an option in Item Revisions to remove that item speed bonus.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

I still have the manual and box, but not the jewel case inserts. I used the game so much that eventually the thing broke and the inserts got lost. Now I have the disks in shitty plastic cases, and a second set in sleeves, since I bought a rerelease to get another copy of ToB. I always lost all those damn expansion disks. Brood War, Diablo 2, BG 2. All of them, at some point.

Oh, and needless to say, the horrible cardboard sleeve for BG 1 broke and my discs are scratched to hell, though they still work fine.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    I've long since lost my BG2 and ToB boxes, but I've hung on to my manual all this time. My original double-size CD case for it broke, but I replaced it with two of those double-disc single-size case deals and put the original liners in.

ZvOMJnu.png
    edited March 2012
    Still have the manuals but my BG2 discs came in paper sleeves :(

Of course, I still have my SSI Gold Box copy protection devices (aka dwarf/elf rune spin dial things)

Bigity on
    http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?view.314

I can't read that sitting in bed/on the toilet. :P
    I could just download it from my GOG account page otherwise.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    That's what ipads are for.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    The $800 manual-reading device.

Anyway, Cloakwood Mines cleared. Davaeorn went down like the chumpiest of chumps, completely by accident. Had my party waiting at the entrance while Coran scouted around to formulate a plan of attack. SCS' pre-casting was off, but I knew full well Davaeorn has sequencers and contingencies, which are nearly as dangerous. After I finished my scouting I figured "Eh, may as well try" and had him backstab Davvy, followed by an invisibility potion to try it again (The scientific term for this is "Elfing", by the way. "Man did you see how our assassin slit those three guys' throats without any of them detecting him?" "Yeah, he Elfed 'em good."). Davaeorn proceeded to freak the fuck out and began his teleporting gimmick... but his first teleport was directly into the rest of the party waiting at the entrance. Garrick slammed him with a Power Word: Sleep and Yeslick and Charname essentially instagibbed him before his body hit the floor.

Welp.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular

I refuse to buy an ipad. ;P

• WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    This and Dragon's Dogma... I don't think I'll need another RPG for the rest of the year. So fucking hyped, for years I've been dying for a BG remake or something just like this.

Anyone else like Korgan Bloodaxe? My personal favorite! Poor guy never gets any love because no one brings him along as he has a habit of cutting other party members in two because they looked at him funny. He's the perfect combination of funny and badass.

WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

I refuse to buy an ipad. ;P

I have an iPad that fits in my pocket, is cheaper, and also makes phone calls. Do I win anything?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • RedOneRedOne Registered User regular
    might have to replay this game

I never beat it, and I only played BG2, but I sunk quite a lot of time in that game playing as a wild mage. When I killed my first dragon, it was so glorious

Is BG1 worth replaying? Are these games worth replaying right now, anyway? I mean, since the enhanced edition is on the way

1495255-1.png?1331518337
    edited March 2012
    RedOne wrote: »

Is BG1 worth replaying? Are these games worth replaying right now, anyway? I mean, since the enhanced edition is on the way

I wouldn't invest the massive amount of time these games suck up with the enhanced edition on the way. That's just silly!

If the enhanced edition WASN'T on the way, I would say, yes. I play through BG2 about once every two years. It's just THAT damn good.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.

• RedOneRedOne Registered User regular
    Wishpig wrote: »

I wouldn't invest the massive amount of time these games suck up with the enhanced edition on the way. That's just silly!

If the enhanced edition WASN'T on the way, I would say, yes. I play through BG2 about once every two years. It's just THAT damn good.

Hopefully there isn't a super long wait for the game to come out.

1495255-1.png?1331518337
    edited March 2012

Even if there is, I got three words and an emoticon for you...

Worth the wait ;)

I hope it takes a LONG time, because that means we'll see more than minor updates. I want this to be an epic enhanced edition. God, can you imagine if they made the game look like Temple of Elemental Evil? I would be in a constant state of arousal the entire time I played. Don't think they're really tackling the graphics though... and I would only want the character models touched up, not the OH so pretty backgrounds.

I just want to hear this theme... most epic 40 seconds in gaming history.

youtube.com/watch?v=Omuuqv6PXM0

Is BG2 ever gonna see an enhanced version I wonder.... hmmm I pray!

Wishpig on

edited March 2012
    Waiting? Stuff that!

So I totally survived my first assassination attempt by running screaming the moment I realized that I had six hit points when I walked in the room and only three were left.

Just a scratch. Totally not running in a panic from the man with something sharp in his hand.

Honest.

OH GOD THE BLOOD I'M DYING AREN'T I

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    Oh yeah, one thing I always wondered was...

Is there any shout out to Kagain in the BG2? He was one of my favs, although Korgan kinda felt like Kagain 2.0.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular

Even if there is, I got three words and an emoticon for you...

Worth the wait ;)

I hope it takes a LONG time, because that means we'll see more than minor updates. I want this to be an epic enhanced edition. God, can you imagine if they made the game look like Temple of Elemental Evil? I would be in a constant state of arousal the entire time I played. Don't think they're really tackling the graphics though... and I would only want the character models touched up, not the OH so pretty backgrounds.

I just want to hear this theme... most epic 40 seconds in gaming history.

youtube.com/watch?v=Omuuqv6PXM0

Is BG2 ever gonna see an enhanced version I wonder.... hmmm I pray!

They're doing both. I'm going to buy both and then my friends will not see me for weeks/months.

Oh yeah, one thing I always wondered was...

Is there any shout out to Kagain in the BG2? He was one of my favs, although Korgan kinda felt like Kagain 2.0.

Kagain is way better IMO.

Damn forest, always reminds me of pansy elves.