As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Guild Wars] You can still get Hall of Monument rewards for GW2

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Yeah, once you get to a certain part in each campaigns story line you can stop and go wherever. (Kamadan (i think you need to be up to the consulate docks mission) for Nightfall, Kaineng Centre for Factions, Lions Arch for Proph.)

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    Prophecies took me the same length of time to get to Lion's Arch as the entirety of the Factions campaign.

@Imperfect: You can roll any of the core Prophecies classes in Factions or Nightfall. The Ritualist and Assassin are Factions-only, Dervish and Paragon are Nightfall only.

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, rolling up a Dervish right now. Lookin' pretty fun, actually!

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Nightfall is longer than Factions (much shorter than Prophecies), but at the same time the story is maybe the most satisfying.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Okay, Dervish is pretty cool. Adding and consuming enchantments and doing AoE on everything is very satisfying.

• Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Nightfall is longer than Factions (much shorter than Prophecies), but at the same time the story is maybe the most satisfying.

Nightfall has a lot less endless running through vast zones you don't do anything in, so maybe that's why =)

Speaking of which, 6 Vaniquishes to go and I hit my 25 HoM goal, whee. Capped Sunspear rep, seems like I'm on pace for Lightbringer since those 6 are all in the Wastes. The Hidden City was a biaaaaatch to vanquish. So many elemental groups, so yay for Pain Inverter and random boosts I had sitting in my inventory.

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Im still trying to reach a high enough level to go to HoM.

I think I have a healthy 10 points waiting for me once I can. After that its all about how much I wanna do. I am kind of having fun with the game, and might use building hero parties time to fool around with builds and earn money while doing it to eventually buy some HoM points outright.

• Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    Imperfect wrote: »
    Alright, I just tried to whisper the leader and each of the officers in turn and ain't nobody around. How do I go abouts getting in the KCHS?

Also, I am a brand-new schleb and trying to go through Prophecies first with a Ranger. Is this a Dumb Thing, or does it make sense to go through the campaigns in order of release?

What's your IGN? You don't have to be online for me to invite you.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Aw, srs? Dang, yo.

Well, lemme go read up on some of them fancy characters what come with Factions and Nightfall, I guess.

They all link together later anyhow, yes?

Yeah, you can take any character to any of the other campaigns. Just it's best to start with Nightfall.

EDIT: This was already answered. Serves me right for not refreshing the page.

Geod on
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I noticed in my research today all the builds for Hard modes (ALL OF THEM) have multiple ritualists.

Sucks ass. I might have to buy Factions.

Pretty much every single build ever will have 2-3 Ritualists, a Necro, and a Mesmer or two. The only difference between melee support and caster support is whether there are Monks (for Strength of Honor), an extra Mesmer, or an Elementalist for ER protting.

steejee wrote: »
    As a Dervish, clearing Elemental groups for Vaniqushing suuucks. I try to run in and get nuked by Ruby and DIamond Dijins and some Emberthingies at the same time, while being drained and crippled. I basically explode and hope my heroes can hold it together.

For the nasty elemental groups you have to let your support take the lead. In particular, you need to hit the group with Panic or Technobabble, and have your spirits go up and minions run in at the same time to prevent the mob from turning you into Vabbi's newest gloryhole.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Woo 25 points! I may be able to hit 30 by the time GW2 hits

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Darklyre wrote: »
    For the nasty elemental groups you have to let your support take the lead. In particular, you need to hit the group with Panic or Technobabble, and have your spirits go up and minions run in at the same time to prevent the mob from turning you into Vabbi's newest gloryhole.

But everyone likes me when I'm the new gloryhole =(

For the Hidden City I typically flagged everyone near a corner/stairs, bow pulled, and used Pain Inverter on whatever was likely to be most painful (typicaly Ruby Djins). That tended to work out pretty well.

Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Welp. I can say that getting master on Eternal grove without actual people seems impossible. Might have to hit actual people up for a group.

I'm sitting at 20 right now but I know 25 is quite easily doable as I have a few points that are still within a few days work range.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Geod wrote: »
    Aw, srs? Dang, yo.

Well, lemme go read up on some of them fancy characters what come with Factions and Nightfall, I guess.

They all link together later anyhow, yes?

Yeah, you can take any character to any of the other campaigns. Just it's best to start with Nightfall.

EDIT: This was already answered. Serves me right for not refreshing the page.

"Alea Raas". Dunno if I'll have a chance to be on tonight to accept it though. It is Errand Night.

But I'm sure it will keep until Thursday when I can answer it.

Thanks!

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    Welp. I can say that getting master on Eternal grove without actual people seems impossible. Might have to hit actual people up for a group.
    You may only need to duo it. My wife and I did it on hard mode with the master rating. We just ran as two separate 4 man teams. Even still, it was quite difficult.

• Options

I'm sitting at 20 right now but I know 25 is quite easily doable as I have a few points that are still within a few days work range.

Normal or HM? NM is doable - two minion masters + dedicated healer hero. Flag the healer between the three trees, and one minion master near each entrance (healer on passive, MMs on guard). Take Pain Inverter with you if you have it. You should be able to get to the second phase without issue - kill each of the first three siege turtles (Pain Inverter being really useful on them) then camp out by the trees clearing any groups as they attack. At some point you can rush out to where the middle turtle would be and kill it before it reaches its spot. The other two will be out already but they won't be able to kill the singers alone so you can leave them be. As soon as the second middle turtle is dead (as well as its group) cutscene will start second phase. At this point, just focus on killing any enemies that make it up the steps, don't wander out, and use the three golem things as backup (they die quick under sustained fire). This *may* work for HM as well so long as builds are good.

• Options
    Yeah NM. I only need this last one for the protector title.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Firstly, thanks to all for advice on heroes and the like, I've gone to a ghetto Earthshaker build (ghetto since I don't have nightfall and am missing some key skills) and life has become much better.

Now, last night I started looking seriously at what is needed for more HoM points, and I don't see how I'm supposed to make any headway in the next month on it, so I'm hoping there's some good advice on how to make money/etc. I have looked at the various HoM guides, but they make it sound so easy to get money (to buy all the crap you need) and so quick to finish campaigns.

I own everything but nightfall, my warrior has completed prophecies and is 3/4 tapestries in EotN (need to finish recruiting Asura). I have 18plat, and with playing 2 hours or so a night I can barely make any headway on increasing this. I have Gwen, Vekk, Ogden, Pyre, Xandra, Kahmu, and Jora all unlocked as hereos, although I'm severely lacking in skills for them, especially elites.

Getting one armor piece alone is a minimum of 75plat (plus the rare mats, some of which I don't have), I haven't even begun to look at weapons (although I think finishing EotN gets me one?). I've not tried Glint's mission for hero armor yet, and don't have the other one unlocked yet to do that. PVP is not really my bag, and the amount of farming needed doing it via the pve challenge is fairly large, especially if i want to finish out EotN in any timeframe.

What am I missing here? How the hell do I get enough money to be able to buy all the minis/armor mats/etc I need to fill out the HoM?

Char name is Nahka Krustov if you want to poke around the calculator to see what I do have unlocked. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    Keep playing is basically the answer. Pay-outs and gear later on get better. Just conquering an area will be worth a lot of money if you sell the golds and lockpicks. War in Kryta is worth about 40 plat to run through the whole thing.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Doing EotN dungeons (not the mission versions, the optional repeatable dungeon quests), especially with Light of Deldrimor, is usually rather profitable.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Bullhead wrote: »
    Stuff!

http://hom.guildwars2.com/en/#page=details&details=AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAgAAAAAAAAAAAAAANAAAAAAAAAA&todo=AAAAAg3EEICAgQAAAADAAAAAABAAAAAAAAEIA

That's a fairly straightforward and almost free HoM setup -
    - Complete the three campaigns, get Protector (master/bonus objectives for all missions) in two of them
    - Grab MOX and the Black Moa pet (questline), and any 8 hero armors (Glint's Challenge being a good bet)
    - Do War in Kryta for a free oppressor weapon
    - Get the Black Moa mini - will require money but you'll have more than enough at this point to buy the bits you need for it
    - Buy a Rare Mini, typically the Canthan New Year ones, not cheap (50kish) but again you should have the cash.

Beyond there you can grind/buy the rest of the hero armors for 2 more points (you should only need to buy a handful, most are easy to just farm for)
    Buy 5 more minis for 2 more points (price varies but first year common minis are still cheap)

That'll take you to 23. I'm at 24 having bought a Destroyer weapon and am Vanquishing Elona to get enough titles for point 25.

• Options
    Stuff!

http://hom.guildwars2.com/en/#page=details&details=AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAgAAAAAAAAAAAAAANAAAAAAAAAA&todo=AAAAAg3EEICAgQAAAADAAAAAABAAAAAAAAEIA

That's a fairly straightforward and almost free HoM setup -
    - Complete the three campaigns, get Protector (master/bonus objectives for all missions) in two of them
    - Grab MOX and the Black Moa pet (questline), and any 8 hero armors (Glint's Challenge being a good bet)
    - Get the Black Moa mini - will require money but you'll have more than enough at this point to buy the bits you need for it
    - Buy a Rare Mini, typically the Canthan New Year ones, not cheap (50kish) but again you should have the cash.

Beyond there you can grind/buy the rest of the hero armors for 2 more points (you should only need to buy a handful, most are easy to just farm for)
    Buy 5 more minis for 2 more points (price varies but first year common minis are still cheap)

That'll take you to 23. I'm at 24 having bought a Destroyer weapon and am Vanquishing Elona to get enough titles for point 25.

Right, but i don't have nightfall, so the Moa pet and MOX are both out. I'm not going to spend $20 or more on nightfall just to play it for a couple weeks before playing GW2...

So do the rewards ramp up as I get farther in EotN then? I just cant seem to make much money, was going to sell all my dyes tonight (since I'm not going to be dying my armor anytime soon) to try and raise some more cash.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    Yes. You really shouldn't worry about making money at all until you've finished the campaigns.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    So do the rewards ramp up as I get farther in EotN then? I just cant seem to make much money, was going to sell all my dyes tonight (since I'm not going to be dying my armor anytime soon) to try and raise some more cash.

Ooo that complicates things...

The rewards ramp up, but not to crazy levels, they're just consistent. Plus Factions/Prophecies campaigns will have reward money (and are a lot longer than EotN). So maybe:

http://hom.guildwars2.com/en/#page=details&details=AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAgAAAAAAAAAAAAAANAAAAAAAAAA&todo=AAAAAAAweXAAgQAAAAFAAAAAABAAAAAAFAEIA

- Complete the two campaigns, get Protector in both (EotN doesn't get a title for protector/hero), and beat Sorrow's Furnace (dungeon title, easy to do with Heroes)
    - Get Black Moa, Imperial Phoenix (just have to beat Factions to get it, but then have to level it) and/or black widow (from underworld, not too hard to get) and grab 8 hero armors (7 if you get all the pets) for EotN heroes (Glint's Challenge being a good bet)
    - Buy a Rare and Unique Mini, typically the Canthan New Year ones, not cheap for either but affordable

I wouldn't worry about buying stuff until *after* you finish the campaigns. There's a lot of money in them, but it doesn't come all at once.

Note: I'm just building these HoM bits on what I figure would be an easily-obtainable total that didn't require any straight up farming. Prices would impact the Minis pretty heavily, but the rest aren't dependent on that.

steejee on
  • Options

The rewards ramp up, but not to crazy levels, they're just consistent. Plus Factions/Prophecies campaigns will have reward money (and are a lot longer than EotN). So maybe:

http://hom.guildwars2.com/en/#page=details&details=AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAgAAAAAAAAAAAAAANAAAAAAAAAA&todo=AAAAAAAweXAAgQAAAAFAAAAAABAAAAAAFAEIA

- Complete the two campaigns, get Protector in both (EotN doesn't get a title for protector/hero), and beat Sorrow's Furnace (dungeon title, easy to do with Heroes)
    - Get Imperial Phoenix (just have to beat Factions to get it, but then have to level it) and/or black widow (from underworld, not too hard to get) and grab 9 hero armors (8 if you got both pets) for EotN heroes (Glint's Challenge being a good bet)
    - Buy a Rare and Unique Mini, typically the Canthan New Year ones, not cheap for either but affordable

I wouldn't worry about buying stuff until *after* you finish the campaigns. There's a lot of money in them, but it doesn't come all at once.

Note: I'm just building these HoM bits on what I figure would be an easily-obtainable total that didn't require any straight up farming. Prices would impact the Minis pretty heavily, but the rest aren't dependent on that.

Cool, thanks. I'm trying to get EotN done now (to finish HoM unlocks at least), and then I'll probably go do the War in Kryta stuff for a weapon, then factions I guess.

@Geod, if you're still lurking, can you toss me an invite as well? Maybe I can make better progress running with groups doing other stuff I normally couldn't with my gimped heroes :P

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    Black Moa is a Factions pet too, don't know why that one got pulled out.

• Options
    Y

- Get Imperial Phoenix (just have to beat Factions to get it, but then have to level it) and/or black widow (from underworld, not too hard to get) and grab 9 hero armors (8 if you got both pets) for EotN heroes (Glint's Challenge being a good bet)

Cool, thanks. I'm trying to get EotN done now (to finish HoM unlocks at least), and then I'll probably go do the War in Kryta stuff for a weapon, then factions I guess.

@Geod, if you're still lurking, can you toss me an invite as well? Maybe I can make better progress running with groups doing other stuff I normally couldn't with my gimped heroes :P

Yeah, will do once I get home tonight from work.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Black Moa is a Factions pet too, don't know why that one got pulled out.

You are correct, I mixed up the Moa Mini (which requires all campaigns) and Pet (which requires 1), black moa pet is definitely the easiest pet of the three to get (though none of them are particularly hard).

steejee on
  • Options
    I still need to head to the underworld to get a spider. I've been putting it off because I don't have any vampiric weapons to death level it with, because I'll be damned if I'm leveling another pet to 20. Does anyone have an undedicated vampiric that I can borrow? :P

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I still need to head to the underworld to get a spider. I've been putting it off because I don't have any vampiric weapons to death level it with, because I'll be damned if I'm leveling another pet to 20. Does anyone have an undedicated vampiric that I can borrow? :P
    I think the spider actually starts out at level 20. I don't think you need to level it. I don't remember having to level my spider.

• Options
    Entriech wrote: »
    I think the spider actually starts out at level 20. I don't think you need to level it. I don't remember having to level my spider.

What he said. Spider/Moa are 20 when you get them, the Phoenix is level 5. Pheonix I just kept out as I did other things to level it rather than building a death levelling setup.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Pet levelling is easy these days. If you run a dual-class build that doesn't involve ranger, just stick the pet on a hero until it hits 20 and then turn it into the Menagerie.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    You can also buy pet levels for z coins in the menagerie

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    If you are having trouble with Eternal Grove, watch this video. i've done masters on NM with just myself and heroes a few times.

for dervish, they are fun, after playing assassin, i like them better for melee PvE, but they can both run SoS spirit spam if you have Factions, which is one of, if not the strongest PvE builds. another thing is that i don't like adrenalin attacks, since i want to be able to bring the pain now, not when i get angry enough.

there is also paragon, they're a solid class if you play to their strengths. a guy on the guru forums made Flameway, which i haven't used, but looks pretty cool, it uses some skills from other campaigns though.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Guys, considering the amount of active players and the difficulties some of us will have against certain tough encounters: let's play together some time!

I have treated it like a solo game so far, but it sounds like a lot of these HM encounters are a lot more enjoyable when I'd be playing with other people.

*edit: ok I'm not actually far enough in the game to be able to play HMs, but for other folks/later on it would be great.

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Also keep an eye on the z quests. When random arena pops up you can get 3k balth faction every 3 wins. If you don't mind a little pvp and can run a semi competent build you can farm zkeys rather quickly and sell them between 5.5 and 5.8k a pop easily. 5k balth faction translates into 1 zkey. You can also sell the coins off for a pretty penny or use them to level pets. Also keep in mind you can play against bots for up to 1k balth faction per day. Also if you havent done it there is a one shot quest where you can get 2.5 balth faction for winning 1 ra match, which isn't bad at all.

Also keep in mind you do NOT need the headpiece for armor sets, so that brings the cost down to 60k +mats for a lot of the armors.

• Options

Actually, yes I do. I had one of each sitting around just in case.

• Options

Well, apparently I don't need it anymore. Already leveled my phoenix, so I just have to go tame a level 20 spider at some point.

• Options

Well, apparently I don't need it anymore. Already leveled my phoenix, so I just have to go tame a level 20 spider at some point.

You thought Zealous barrage was impressive? Try it with Vampiric sometime.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Like all the info in here so far.

I am level 9 and working on finishing Nightfall and hitting 20 then I can really start getting into shit. When that happens I wouldnt mind teaming up for things.