As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] UPDATED - Freedom Trail Guided Tour - Date: Thursday April 5 / 3:30 PM

LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in PAX Archive
Historic Boston! In 90 Minutes! We're booking a guided tour* for anyone who wants to go with fellow PAXers. This is a great chance to learn about Boston History from legitimate (read: non-cheesy) sources with friends. Drinks and food abound afterward at Faneuil Hall!

WHAT: 90 minute guided walking tour from Boston Common to Fanueil Hall
WHEN: Thursday, April 5
TIME: 3:30 PM
COST: $10 (cheapest option is a private tour for 13 ppl)
WHO: http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/tickets/tours.html

Afterward: Meeting for drinks and happy hour at Fanueil Hall with the tour guide, around 5:00-5:30. Gotta take a load off after ALL THAT WALKING, y'know?

UPDATE: We're meeting at the Boston Common Visitor Center, 139 Tremont Street. Be there at 3:30 PM with your walking shoes on, and your drinking hat in your pocket!

The MMT will also be doing this tour earlier in the day, if you'd rather go before the Fried Food Extravaganza lunch!

Please indicate your interest (or re-indicate it, if you haven't since the updated MMT schedule) below.

If you'd be willing to be a back-up coordinator in case I get hit by a bus before then, please let me know.

Woo! Boston!

*Last year, on the way to pick up some Cannoli before heading to the airport, we came across a costumed tour guide and a group of tourists on the Freedom Trail. Normally these sort of costume schticks are pretty awful, but this guy was clearly passionate about the material and was so interesting & funny that we followed the tour and eavesdropped for a block. Later, we found out that this particular tour was affiliated with the National Parks' Freedom Trail organization and only hires a select few guides who are legitimate historians and historical cosplayers. Many of the guides even make their own costumes.

** The Granary Burial Ground closes at 4:00.

***The tour office suggested to 'request a drinker' when booking the tour so they'd come drink with us afterwards. I love them already.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
LexiconGrrl on

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Walkers

LexiconGrrl
    JobiWanKenobi
    BaconSandwich +2
    SpectaledBear +1
    GhostDan
    Gizmo+1

LexiconGrrl on
  • KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    The freedom trail is all I was interested in on the MMT. So i am totally down for a separate event.

My plane doesn't arrive until 2pm on Thursday, so I'd like an afternoon tour if possible. I am planning on taking this tour regardless, but it'd be way more fun as a private tour with a guide and friends.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2012
    Is there a reason this can't coincide with the MMT if the MMT does the Freedom trail this year? Unless this is specifically designed to be at a time that the MMT is *not* doing the freedom trail (i.e. if MMT is doing the afternoon, and other folks want to do the freedom trail in the morning, or if the MMT does FT on Wednesday this is the Thursday alternative), it seems silly to organize two separate groups to do the same thing at potentially the same time, especially since the MMT often has folks joining/leaving in the middle (so it's not expected that everyone be there for the whole MMT).

zerzhul on
    It would be nice to coordinate with the MMT, but the tours happen on the street and the guides aren't amplified so once you get more than about 15 people in a tour group, the folks in the back can't hear anything. We were intending on doing this tour independently anyway, so see no reason not to open it up to a larger group.

There are so many people coming to PAX, I'm sure that there will be plenty of interest in both. We're definitely doing this tour, but the MMT voting isn't done yet, so may or may not include it. If it all comes together at the same time, then I'll work with Punzie to figure out how to do the tours together in a way that everyone can enjoy (and hear) it.

Details Updated on OP

Sounds fascinating. I hope we can get some more interested.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • BIGmogBIGmog DenverRegistered User regular
    I'd like to walk the Freedom Trail depending on the schedule that the MMT decides on.

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    We would love to do this but like @KellyShepard087 our plane arrives at 2pm. If the times work out we would be in!

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
    Yay! More people arriving around my time. :)

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • BaconSandwichBaconSandwich Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I'm super interested in this. I think what with traveling and everything I'll be available by about 2PM. I didn't get into the PPD but definitely PokeCrawling, it'd be cool if this could all happen in the same area, also more drinking. This would be a great way to show non-nerdy people that I went to Boston and not just the inside of a convention center :)

BaconSandwich on
    PAX East 2010/2011/2012 Omeganaut!
    edited February 2012
    UPDATE: @Punzie and I have chatting, and there's a good chance the MMT will do this tour again, late in the afternoon on Thursday (ie: at the same time). If that happens, we'll be looking at moving this one to a different day/time to accomodate anyone who can't make it to the MMT version. Check back here once the MMT details are finalized and posted for updates.

FYI, 3:30/3:45 is about the latest the tours can start at Boston Common, as the Granary Burial Ground closes at 4:00 (as noted above, just wanted to repeat it here for clarity).

LexiconGrrl on
    Ok. Thanks for the update. I will stayed tuned to both here and the MMT for further updates.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Updated OP.

3:30pm? Nope, sorry, I won't be able to make it. I won't get to my hotel until then. :(
    I guess my freedom trail tour will have to wait till monday 'fore I leave.

Have fun!

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Awesome. I'm going to plan to be there, plus 2.

3:30pm? Nope, sorry, I won't be able to make it. I won't get to my hotel until then. :(
    I guess my freedom trail tour will have to wait till monday 'fore I leave.

Bummer! It's the latest start date I could wrangle, I wish it could be a little later :(

• SpectacledBearSpectacledBear Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    LexiconGrrl, can you please add me and my +1 (my wife, SpectacledBare) to your tour? It sounds like fun and then I get to meet BaconSandwich!!! (And maybe even adidas.angel, if it works out.) w00t Fitocracy friends!

Currently playing Stardew Valley and I Am Setsuna.

LPr3CtQ.png
    Done!

Ok, so my flight got pushed back, I'm now scheduled to be getting in at 2:20PM on Thursday. I still think I can make it, just gonna have to head there straightaway after checking in at the Seaport.

Woot! Just you or You+1?

Woot! Just you or You+1?

Can it be Me+2?

• bushisprezbushisprez Registered User regular
    Do the ducktour too if you guys are looking for pre-pax boston activities.

[x] Hotel booked
    [x] Ride Booked
    [x] 3-day Pass
    Will be more prepared than ever for the show than the previous year. XP!!!!!
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Edit: Scratch that, its honeymoon weekend, we've decided to putz around boston a bit on our own before the pub crawl and pax insanity starts, thanks though perhaps next year. Besides, we might see you guys wandering anyway.

ZeroHourHero on
    Done! Have a great time wandering, Zero. Not all who wander are lost. :P

I'm a bit confused. Is this starting at Boston Common or Faneuil Hall? Website says it's Faneuil to Boston Common at 3:30

• GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    I'd love to go if there's stills pace, although I'd probably run out at 5 as I want to get over to the Scott Pilgrim showing @ 6

edited March 2012
    We're starting at the Common, and ending at Fanueil Hall in time for happy hour with the tour guide. We're special - we don't have to follow the fixed tour schedule.

@GhostDan - you're added. Got any Plus 1's?

LexiconGrrl on
    Sadly no. Just me :)

It looks like the 3:30pm tour, according to the website, starts at Fan hall and goes to Boston Common. Can you confirm?

GhostDan wrote: »
    It looks like the 3:30pm tour, according to the website, starts at Fan hall and goes to Boston Common. Can you confirm?
    We're starting at the Common, and ending at Fanueil Hall in time for happy hour with the tour guide. We're special - we don't have to follow the fixed tour schedule.

Updated OP!

edited April 2012
    Yea helps if I read beyond "GhostDan any plus 1" :)
    GhostDan wrote: »
    We're starting at the Common, and ending at Fanueil Hall in time for happy hour with the tour guide. We're special - we don't have to follow the fixed tour schedule.[/quote

reading is good.. My early morning dumb moment :)

GhostDan on
  • SpectacledBearSpectacledBear Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Updated OP!

LexiconGrrl, you are excellent.

Currently playing Stardew Valley and I Am Setsuna.

LPr3CtQ.png
    Looks like a beautiful day for a walking tour :)

• Harlequin ShadowlandsHarlequin Shadowlands Registered User regular
    There is also for those who love night, ghost tours at 8p the Boston Night Tour.

http://www.hauntedbostontours.com/

Tell them Rev. Peter sent you if you call to make a reservation and you'll prob get a dollar or two off per person. Best ghost tour in Boston (or Salem for that matter)

-Harlequin
    Admin of World of Darkness News
    News, Community site for the WoD MMORPG
  • gihzmogihzmo Registered User regular
    Am I too late to sign up for this? If we show up at the start location can we pay and join?

Not too late! Be there at 3:30 - there are still 4 or 5 spots left!

There is also for those who love night, ghost tours at 8p the Boston Night Tour.

http://www.hauntedbostontours.com/

Tell them Rev. Peter sent you if you call to make a reservation and you'll prob get a dollar or two off per person. Best ghost tour in Boston (or Salem for that matter)

Thats pretty cool. Wish I had known before hand, maybe we could have setup a group to go there.

We're at the visitor center now: it's a small building on the common itself at the intersection of Tremont and West.

If you get here and we're not out front, follow the trail until you get to the group led by a small woman in a blue cape and period costume.

• SpectacledBareSpectacledBare Registered User new member
    Thanks for organizing this awesome tour LexiconGrrl! It was informative, and quite an enjoyable way to start our Boston holiday off.