As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

May the odds be ever in your favour! [Hunger Games Movie]

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    what does "smh" mean

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    The stylists who work under Cinna were pretty much completely glossed over in the book. They help give a sense of average Capitol citizens and the divide between the Districts and the Capitol. I understand why they they would be skipped but it would've been nice to have at least been introduced to them.

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    "shaking my head"

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    what does "smh" mean

shake my head

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    What's with that filter? Like is there any need for that sepia shit?

kids love instagram

Brolo on
  • Options
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Oh I thought it was "so much hate" which is still pretty apt to what these assholes are going on about.

Also saw this on the tumblr:

tumblr_m1lud5Xie21rqcceqo1_400.png

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    tumblr_m1j4ferEd61rqcceqo1_400.png

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    DuxDux A host to DarknessRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    I should never have gotten that haircut...

Nice.

Anywho, yeah. I've banned myself from the D&D thread. Actually I've banned myself from any thread that contains Ross or Drez. I'm suddenly a much happier person.

Yeah those two are just like, ruining any form of sanity in that thread.

One is convinced that if you were at all surprised by the skin color of Rue and Thresh, you're a racist.

The other is pissed that there is no explanation as to why the Capitol is evil and why the districts go along with the shit.

zoolander-mugatu-crazy-pills.jpg

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Every movie needs the nerdy science guy (preferably played by Jeff Goldblum) to explain exactly how something works/why something the way it is.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Atomic Ross is the Armond White of D&D

• Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the movie! The shaky cam wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, the only part about it that annoyed me was when they seemed to just swing the camera around randomly during action scenes.

The transfer from page to screen was handled pretty well, and having recently read the series twice, I wonder how much I filled information/emotion into anything missing from the movie. I only had two problems with the move from book to reel:
    I feel the Peeta-Katniss relationship was handled a little clumsily. Without Katniss' internal monologue, I'm not sure if they got across that she didn't really "like" like Peeta. And they really downplayed his feelings of anger and betrayal when he found out the whole "love" thing was part of a cold-blooded, logical strategy between Haymitch and Katniss.

The other thing I felt wasn't pulled off well was the berries. It seemed like Katniss was a little bit too confident that it would save them both, not that she knew she couldn't kill Peeta in cold-blood and face her district and herself afterwards. That death right there was better than committing murder. The movie removed the desperation from the scene and turned it into a cunning plan. I dunno, maybe I'm remembering the book wrong.

But it was still really enjoyable.

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    The other is pissed that there is no explanation as to why the Capitol is evil and why the districts go along with the shit.

I love how I don't even need to read the thread to know who this must be.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    Seriously wrote: »
    Skull Man wrote: »
    alright I read the first one of these yesterday
    what the fuck, did everyone become dog-handed werewolves at the end

is that going to be addressed later or WHAT

I just sorta

ignored that

I'm not sure what was going on there

that is to say I know what was going on there

but I don't know what was going on there

they kinda get into this in the second book with the birds.

Basically its mostly psychological warfare, not just physical.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    no no no no no

• Options
    Look at it

• Options
    LOOK
    AT
    IT

• Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    That just made me dry heave

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    W...what?

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    moocow wrote: »
    I enjoyed the movie! The shaky cam wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, the only part about it that annoyed me was when they seemed to just swing the camera around randomly during action scenes.

The transfer from page to screen was handled pretty well, and having recently read the series twice, I wonder how much I filled information/emotion into anything missing from the movie. I only had two problems with the move from book to reel:
    I feel the Peeta-Katniss relationship was handled a little clumsily. Without Katniss' internal monologue, I'm not sure if they got across that she didn't really "like" like Peeta. And they really downplayed his feelings of anger and betrayal when he found out the whole "love" thing was part of a cold-blooded, logical strategy between Haymitch and Katniss.

The other thing I felt wasn't pulled off well was the berries. It seemed like Katniss was a little bit too confident that it would save them both, not that she knew she couldn't kill Peeta in cold-blood and face her district and herself afterwards. That death right there was better than committing murder. The movie removed the desperation from the scene and turned it into a cunning plan. I dunno, maybe I'm remembering the book wrong.

But it was still really enjoyable.
    I think the change with the final confrontation maybe worked a little better. In the book, Cato was basically a monster, right down to the end. They humanized him a bit more with his little speech, which fits a little better with the whole "they're shitty TO ALL THE DISTRICTS, even the ones they like" thing.

• Options
    I should be flipping my laptop at that, GG, but I think marathoning My Brother My Brother And Me episodes has inoculated (desensitised?) me against the horrors of yahoo answers

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    FFCOa.jpg

I CAN SEE EVERYTHING NOW

THE WORLD IS BEAUTIFUL AND TERRIBLE AND IT SHALL BE BLESSED WITH A GREAT PURE FIRE

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    SAKURA CULLEN

SAKURA FUCKING CULLEN

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    People like that are why phone numbers in movies always start with 555

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    FFCOa.jpg

I know now what it is to feel love

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    just finished Mockingjay again

it was way better than I remember it being!

• Options
    edited March 2012
    sakura cullen is the perfect name for someone that sucks on tampon popsicles

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    fuck you firefox, I am not capitalizing popsicle

• Options
    I just got reminded of something browsing the terrible D&D thread.

In the movie, holy shit, Katniss is tall as hell. Wait a minute.

Apparently, IMDb says the actress is 5'7", and so is Peeta's actor. So she's not super tall, he's just...kind of on the low end of average. Gale's is 6'3". You'd think they could've looked around for another dude who was 6'0"+ to play Peeta.

/nitpick

imttnk.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Wait why does this guy have to be over six feet?

• Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    I refuse to believe that tampon vampire is real. It has to be someone trolling

sig2.jpg
  • Options
    Because Katniss is supposed to be short. Peeta is supposed to be tall and strong!

I dunno, it just kind of stuck out that she was as tall as Peeta. Didn't really lessen my enjoyment of the movie.

imttnk.png
  • Options
    A lot of men in Hollywood are short and a lot of women are tall

That's kinda how it goes

• Options
    JelloJelloJelloJello Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

That's kinda how it goes

As clearly stated, twice, by use "moocow", the character of Peeta, as written in the book, is tall.

• Options
    JelloJello wrote: »

That's kinda how it goes

As clearly stated, twice, by use "moocow", the character of Peeta, as written in the book, is tall.

Probably because he wasn't from Hollywood.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    JelloJello wrote: »

That's kinda how it goes

Mm, and Katniss is supposed to be "small but strong" I think, which makes me think of less than 5ft1". Though I must admit I don't think I would have picked up on the height thing unless it'd been pointed out.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Hugh Jackman is 6'2"
    Wolverine is 5'3"

just

saiyan

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Hugh Jackman is 6'2"
    Wolverine is 5'3"

just

saiyan

Huh! I never knew Wolverine was that short. The more you know!