As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MechWarrior Online - Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. Open Beta Online.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    In Hawken you fight in your freebirth mother's hover tubs.

• Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    I'm bored at work, so that means more rejected Mech ideas

I'm sorry

hZdBr.png

16vaO.png

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I will never, ever get why Duane Loose's stuff is practically worshipped.

Wierd looking, occasionally incomrehensible, awkwardly posed robots, interspersed with some sorta okay drawings of designs Studio Nue made.

I mean there are some really good ones too, but, man.

v1JPs.jpg

I'm pointing at you.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Yes! Yesssss!

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Wandering IdiotWandering Idiot Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Rolo wrote: »
    Fishman wrote: »
    Can I just say how I have always hated the Jenner for being a useless piece of crap, ever since the Battletech RPG game?

yes

god I hated the stupid jenner

Aw c'mon, don't hate. I have a fondness for the Jenner from piloting it for so long in Mechwarrior 1 (EGA graphics, baby!) Which, incidentally, is a game that none of the sequels have been able to capture everything I liked about.

MW2 let you be entirely too mobile with the lateral jump-jets, made the lasers and PPCs act like projectiles instead of instantaneous beams, and generally had 'mechs that seemed overpowered (that may have just been an artifact of all the Clan tech). MW3 improved the look and gameplay, but still didn't have the tactical map where you could order around your lancemates in realtime or the whole open-world mercenary contract structure I liked so much. I hated pretty much everything about the soft, cartoony look of MW4's graphics and seemingly simplified customization, so I never played it past the demo.

I never got around to playing MW2 Mercenaries, oddly enough, since it seems like it would have come the closest to recreating MW1, although most of the things I disliked about MW2 would presumably have carried over.

I'm not saying MW1 didn't have its drawbacks (the technical limitations and only having one map most noticably), I just find it odd that it hasn't been completely superseded by one game in all this time. I suppose it's similar to how people feel about the original X-Com.

Reading about the new game, it seems like you'll be able to play as a Mercenary and bid on contracts if you want, I already like the look, and it starts pre-Clan invasion, so maybe it'll finally break the streak.

Wandering Idiot on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I have a copy of MW2 Mercs Titanium around here somewhere...

Someone tell me how to play it. Nevermind! Found a thing called MechVM. :)

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Mechwarrior 3 on MSN gaming zone for life

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Hahahaha MW1 is the only good MW game. dood ur so hardcor3

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Wandering IdiotWandering Idiot Registered User regular
    256 colors and Adlib music are for weenies.

• Options
    RinderRinder Registered User regular
    MW1 was the first computer game I ever played. I remember there being a ton of floppy disks and it was on a black and white screen.
    Battlemaster was a beast in that game.

• Options
    WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    So another giant robot has been unveiled today. This time it's the venerable Awesome we should all know and love.

9Ce4m.jpg

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    I do like the Awesome

and I can't get over how great this concept art looks

• Options
    That Awesome looks Awesome.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Fucking love that beefy arm insignia.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Should be the 1st Regulan Hussars insignia.

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Are those nipple-mounted PPCs

Also, I've never been into the lore even though I played MW2 for hundreds of hours as a kid, but do a lot of Mechs have hands? I always remembered just arm-mounted weapons, are there Mechs that can like, wrassle other Mechs?

Hobnail on
  • Options
    Plenty of mechs have hands. On the tabletop you can indeed punch and push mechs around if you wish, and it can be pretty dang effective since head hits are bad and punches land a lot of those. I think they already ruled out melee combat for MWO though.

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    the awesome has 3 ppc's if i remember right

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    That's pretty excellent. Now I want to see a big burly Mech run up to an Atlas and giant-robot-judo the hell out of it

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Once, on table-top, I had an Atlas as a hidden unit. You give the opposing player a paper that shows where the hidden unit is, but they can't look at it until you either choose to expose the unit, or an action happens that would expose it.

Atlas was hidden in a heavy forest. Punched a Puma to death that stopped right in front of me, then picked up a boulder and took out another mech by virtue of killed the left side torso when it had an XL engine.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    So are we brain storming clan names yet?

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Free Worlds League/House Marik for life

• Options
    the awesome has 3 ppc's if i remember right

Yep, it takes a couple years for them to design one with four of them.

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Diabolical Mechinations

• Options
    A couple days late, but there is now a devblog about the Mechlab out on the website. It looks pretty promising! No more bullshit loadouts like the MW4 days of old.

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    Interesting post.

I didn't see anything about changing engine size.

I did see stripping armor, but it did not say whether or not this made your mech faster.

wanna strip all armor and boost up that engine

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Under things that can be swapped out it does say engine, so I assume you can add extra zoom to your mech if you want.

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    oh duh. I missed that part.

• Options
    tayvaantayvaan I always like to savor the last shot before popping the heat sinkRegistered User regular
    This looks pretty great, looking forward to fighting for free rasalhague

• Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    Calling scout mech right now

• Options
    Had a lot of trouble finding this thread again. Last week they revealed another new mech, this time the light Raven

pDOZ8.jpg

There's also lovely screenies of the Catapult, shamelessly stolen from the G&T thread. Looks like you can even use a Kuritapult!

f1c0d7a71746fae97cf1dc990cd80fc234c9dcb4.jpg__939x820_q85.jpg
    e27ce0725ab791fd9ba28710c08044d6259fe423.jpg__939x820_q85.jpg
    fd0fe73e234e53c66debceb5692dcfe5d0f3b1b1.jpg__939x820_q85.jpg
    29767be8a179ae5e4871834c80f46ea507ae0a7b.jpg__939x820_q85.jpg

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Gimme this game. Put it in my computer.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Love that Katapult

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Mechwarrior tactics looks super promising too, although I don't know how close to the actual tabletop game they're going to cut it.

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I saw that Mechwarrior Tactics thing a few weeks back, but I watched it and it just didn't excite me the way BOOM VWAP PEWPEWPEW does for some reason.

And then that will be the one I love more, because I love mastering strategy/tactics/management games and struggle to stick with pewpewpew for long lengths of time (with a few exceptions).

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    why isn't this game out yet

oh well time to install some older mechwarriors and play through those

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I love what I've heard about Mechwarrior tactics, specifically that you set your tactics up for your units and can see what the other guy is doing with his and then hit play and it all happens. That sounds rad if it works how I think it does.

• Options
    Toot toot, yet another screenshot

hdcdw.jpg

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Wonder what the two mechs off to the right are

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg