As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You think this letter on my head stands for [Awesome Moments]?! NSF56K

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Also yeah I love those comics

they are so fun!

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Scottsman, I don't believe you. :P

Favorite Little League so far:

tumblr_m0l5ry1CSd1r7ni1i

Just for, "And Hal, Karen is no more boring than you."

I love the way this comic is (intentionally?) made to look sort of like somewhat aged newsprint scans.

Gaslight on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Since Domino's going to be joining the permanent cast of Brian Wood's X-Men soon, I thought I'd post something from 2003's Domino, by Joe Pruett and Brian Stelfreeze.

This comes from that period where it's pretty clear that Marvel was starting to take things from other media, and infuse it into comics. You know how the old Elsa Bloodstone was basically Buffy the Vampire Slayer, in the Marvel U? This is Marvel's The Bourne Identity. They even go so far as to lay the title page out like film credits.

The basic set-up for the series, is that Domino is attempting to find information on her origins. She funds her search through doing various odd-jobs, with her handler/mentor/love interest Jonathan playing Oracle to her Black Canary. Unfortunately, there's some friction due to their differing approaches; he's by the books, she's a loose cannon, etc. Additionally, her luck-based powers have made her increasingly reckless, endangering both her, and the important work she's doing.
    t64MA.jpg

CdUOj.jpg

See? Just like Oracle!

PP6AO.jpg

Uc5s0.jpg

See that lamp in the last panel? The next page is spent beating those ninjas with that lamp.

GWe4h.jpg

And later, she takes on some black-ops military guys, while not even wearing shoes. Because that's how she rolls.

It's not a revolutionary comic by any means, but like the action movies it emulates, it's a fun romp. There's ninjas, excellent fight choreography from Stelfreeze, and a spunky, take-no-shit protagonist at the center of it. If you can find it in your store's back issue bins, check it out.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    well, dang

i can dig that Domino

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Does domino make herself up to look like that, or is it part of her mutation? Because that's got to be the most coincidental pair of mutations ever.

• ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    Thought this was good for a laugh. It's from a webcomic that depicts the Justice League as grade-schoolers, and it features Darkseid as a gym teacher.

1332446916568.jpg

It's basically Tiny Titans, but not as boring.

http://littleleaguecomic.tumblr.com/

Okay, that strip is awesome. Although the last one was like a dagger in the heart.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    This Little League is a great comic, thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Bruce automatically not trusting J'onn, it's funny, it takes me back to a simpler DC.

• JaythreefJaythreef Registered User regular
    Those are so cool! His expressions are really good.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Those little leagues are great, I need more! I can't stop chuckling about this one

tumblr_lznnqdEH4q1r7ni1io1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1332619893&Signature=zYCFz5BpRkVnTjMXs%2BHx1TfUUJs%3D

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    Since Domino's going to be joining the permanent cast of Brian Wood's X-Men soon, I thought I'd post something from 2003's Domino, by Joe Pruett and Brian Stelfreeze.

This comes from that period where it's pretty clear that Marvel was starting to take things from other media, and infuse it into comics. You know how the old Elsa Bloodstone was basically Buffy the Vampire Slayer, in the Marvel U? This is Marvel's The Bourne Identity. They even go so far as to lay the title page out like film credits.

The basic set-up for the series, is that Domino is attempting to find information on her origins. She funds her search through doing various odd-jobs, with her handler/mentor/love interest Jonathan playing Oracle to her Black Canary. Unfortunately, there's some friction due to their differing approaches; he's by the books, she's a loose cannon, etc. Additionally, her luck-based powers have made her increasingly reckless, endangering both her, and the important work she's doing.
    t64MA.jpg

CdUOj.jpg

See? Just like Oracle!

PP6AO.jpg

Uc5s0.jpg

See that lamp in the last panel? The next page is spent beating those ninjas with that lamp.

GWe4h.jpg

And later, she takes on some black-ops military guys, while not even wearing shoes. Because that's how she rolls.

It's not a revolutionary comic by any means, but like the action movies it emulates, it's a fun romp. There's ninjas, excellent fight choreography from Stelfreeze, and a spunky, take-no-shit protagonist at the center of it. If you can find it in your store's back issue bins, check it out.

How was the Elsa Bloodstone thing? Was it set in high school like Buffy, or was she a wandering monster hunter like in Nextwave?

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    How was the Elsa Bloodstone thing? Was it set in high school like Buffy, or was she a wandering monster hunter like in Nextwave?

Honestly, I've never read it. Been meaning to see if I could find it, though.

In the meantime, here's something from Guy Gardner #4, which opens with this:

whOkl.jpg

Real quick, let me just point out that Guy's wearing a fur coat, over a leather jacket.

Okay, moving on.

In the previous issues, Guy was using Sinestro's old ring, only to have it run out of juice, and realize he didn't know how to recharge it, as the instructions were in Korugarian. So, he spends the entirety of issue three just beating up a giant, alien thug in the soundless vacuum of space, ending the issue with a line of the universe's most wanted, all queued up to take a shot at him.

This leads to him working for a group of knockoff Guardians of the Universe, who also happen to wear elevator shoes.

6iXLc.jpg

EEY68.jpg

That's right, Guy Gardner didn't just bring the bowl cut back, he brought it to space.

Incidentally, all this is going on right after Superman was just selflessly beaten to death by Doomsday, and Guy Gardner had been pulped in the same fight. I mention this only because Guy refuses to wear the black armband marking Superman's death, because he doesn't want it to ruffle his fur coat.

I've said this before, but I'm really enjoying how smart and satirical this whole series is. Guy's not just some empty, cliche anti-hero. He's a jackass, but all his friends keep commenting on what a jackass he's being, even by Guy's standards. It's like he's been playing at being the macho jerk for so long, that he's become a caricature of himself.

At the same time, some actual characterization shines through, like his affection for General Glory.

Munch on
    Guy Gardner is a true American hero

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Little League is such a great title.

And somehow I've never seen that Domino series before - I must have been deployed when it was released. I must fix this immediately, because those scans are great.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    All of the D'awwwwwwws go to this!

http://youtu.be/d4Nt2fuE6eE

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    what a hero!

• RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    everyoneisstiltman.png

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Everyone would love having Stilt-Man powers and none of the heroes would lift a finger to change reality back.

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Well ...

The dog-lovers might have some asses to kick.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    The end of Mighty Thor #12. Just... seriously it's the best ending to a comic issue/story arc so far this year. The first Snyder Batman arc comes in at a close second.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Well ...

The dog-lovers might have some asses to kick.
    They just need to invest in some longer leashes.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    the dogs would have stiltman powers too though right? then everything would work out.

that video is amazing by the way.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Archonex wrote: »
    And a rare DC comics panel. Darkseid would like to serve you a hateburger.

98RrQ.jpg

I have no idea where that's from. Maybe Mcdonalds decided to expand their brand through advertisement back in the day? Ronald isn't nearly as hardcore as Darkseid. Having Darkseid try to sell you a burger made from the flesh of children and undiluted raw hatred has to appeal to someone, I guess.

This is shortly before Ambush Bug deflates him. and an issue or two after he exposes Clark Kent and takes photos of Starfire removing her clothing. It was a fantastic mini series.

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    The end of Mighty Thor #12. Just... seriously it's the best ending to a comic issue/story arc so far this year. The first Snyder Batman arc comes in at a close second.

Wait, there's been an end to an arc so far in Batman? I did not know!

huntresssig.jpg
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I guess there was kinda a climax with a cool down phase? But it was as much an end as The Dark Knight would have had if it ended with the Joker blowing up the Police Station and leaving in police cars.

Quire.jpg
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    jordangibson11.png

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    I would buy every issue of Nightwing and Flamebird. Twice.

I honestly would be okay with Bruce dying/retiring and having the Dick&Damien duo back in action.

I quite liked the Kryptonian Nightwing and Flamebird duo that we saw in the New Krypton books

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    I really, I really want to see a Nightwing and Flamebird book

edited April 2012
    Bruce and Dick should have a joint custody agreement.

And Damien can be all like, "I love you, Weekend Dad!"

Robos A Go Go on
    Someone explain the Nightwing and Flamebird thing to me as a new DC person

huntresssig.jpg
    Arivia wrote: »
    Someone explain the Nightwing and Flamebird thing to me as a new DC person

Nightwing and Flamebird are a legendary heroic duo from Krypton, and the story of their exploits gave Dick Grayson the inspiration for his namesake after he stopped being Robin.

So, if Dick were to have a sidekick, that person would likely be named Flamebird.

• RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The identity of Flamebird previously went to another hero in the Bat-family, Bette Kane.

Flamebird.jpg

Supergirl and Power Girl also took up the Nightwing and Flamebird mantles to protect the bottle city of Kandor during the One Year Later event.

Supergirlcandor.jpg

Most recently General Zod's son, Chris Kent, and his girlfriend became Nightwing and Flamebird during the New Krypton storyline.

ChristopherKent.jpgTharaAKVar.jpg

RedDelicious on
    Okay

Greg Rucka Supergirl is incredibly tempting

But - Ed Benes art. How is it?

huntresssig.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I honestly would be okay with Bruce dying/retiring and having the Dick&Damien duo back in action.

131630391747-vg20948_second_scruf.jpg

• ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The identity of Flamebird previously went to another hero in the Bat-family, Bette Kane.

Flamebird.jpg

Supergirl and Power Girl also took up the Nightwing and Flamebird mantles to protect the bottle city of Kandor during the One Year Later event.

Supergirlcandor.jpg

Most recently General Zod's son, Chris Kent, and his girlfriend became Nightwing and Flamebird during the New Krypton storyline.

ChristopherKent.jpgTharaAKVar.jpg

Spoil'd that quote for length.

The OCD completionist in me demands that I make a note here that the original Nightwing and Flamebird from the Silver Age were Superman and Jimmy Olsen, when they operated in the bottle city of Kandor (where Superman had no powers and was known commonly by his kryptonian name).

They were inspired by the old kryptonian myth, like @RobosAGoGo said, but patterned their methods off of Batman and Robin.

Of course, all of that is long out of continuity now, but wasn't when Dick first took up the Nightwing name back in the Wolfman Teen Titans run. Superman was a big part of Dick's life back then (the original World's Finest stories were still in-continuity then as well) so he took part of his inspiration from him.

Arryn on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    supermanbeyondv20110hom.jpg

Hensler on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I like an elderly, bickering Bruce Wayne.

tumblr_m210z6VNlK1r7ni1i

I totes love Little League to death, but little Karen's crush on little Clark is kinda weirding me out. Are they still sorta-cousins in the Little League 'verse? INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW.

edited April 2012
    Edit: Double-vanilla fucking fudge post.

Gaslight on
This discussion has been closed.