As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

a

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I like it as I don't worry so much about setting it down on a table or whatever, without having to think about what little gritty things might be on it.

• floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Having now had an ipad2 for about six months, I can say that they are unbelievably useful. You invent all kinds of uses for it.

Can you elaborate on those invented uses? My dad got an iPad 3 recently, and he seems to like it a lot. But, whenever I play with it, I just wonder how I'd actually use a tablet differently from a regular computer. Like you, the room I spend most of my time in happens to contain my Macbook Pro, so I'm not really sure what an iPad would add to that situation. And, really, my iPhone covers any surfing outside my room quite nicely. I can type pretty quickly on it and never feel particularly constricted by its size. It works great for surfing on the train during my commute. I even read on it surprisingly often, even though I usually have my Kindle with me.

So yeah, I'm really curious what an iPad could add to my life, rather than just duplicate functionality I already have.

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I got my Incipio Smart Feather case in over the weekend, and also some small 1/32" inch thick neodymium magnets. My goal was to glue a couple to the back of the case so that it would hold my smart cover in place when folded back while I'm using it. Surprisingly, it actually works really well. The only bad thing about it was that I used way too much glue on the magnets, and when I pressed them on some of it squeezed out onto the cover. This isn't so bad in itself, except that genius me thought "Hey, I can get that off with some Acetone!" and promptly went on to ruin the finish on the back of the case around where the magnets were. So stupid.

But yes, other than the cosmetic blemish it left on the case, I'm now very happy with the protection on my new iPad. I also like how the Smart Feather case locks the smart cover into place so that my six-year-old can't pick it up by the smart cover and pull it off, sending the iPad tumbling to the floor.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    I like it as I don't worry so much about setting it down on a table or whatever, without having to think about what little gritty things might be on it.

This is just directed in the general direction of the large numbers people who think as you do, but how can you both be worried about the backside getting scratched up and willing to make the backside completely covered up? To me it seems like painting a red car blue so that the red paint underneath will never get dulled by the sun.

Changing the way it feels in your hand I get, but I've never understood the scratch prevention worry.

Because the iPad holds ridiculous resale value. I've been able to upgrade from 1 to 2 to 3 with minimal out of pocket expense because I've tried to keep them in excellent condition. Also, I could compare it more to those bumper buddy things you see in cities where parallel parking is prevalent. Do I want my car's bumper to look ridiculous with this big hunk of plastic covering it? No, but I also don't want it getting messed up.

The BOOKback is something that, if it was messed up or ruined, I could just peel it off and maybe get a new one. The iPad, with some awful scratch on it? That, you're stuck with.

Ahh, resale. Didn't think about that.

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Yeah, my main concern is also resale value. I always resell my old Apple products before buying the new upgrade. If it was just me and I knew I'd never try to resell it down the road, I'd probably go totally naked on my iPad. However, having one in "excellent" condition as opposed to "has a few scratches on the back" can make a huge difference when you go to sell it down the road.

Despite this, I still refuse to use a screen protector. I didn't use one on my 1st Gen iPad, and when I sold it a year later, the screen was still as spotless as the day I bought it. It's the back that you have to really worry about.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    floobie wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Having now had an ipad2 for about six months, I can say that they are unbelievably useful. You invent all kinds of uses for it.

Can you elaborate on those invented uses? My dad got an iPad 3 recently, and he seems to like it a lot. But, whenever I play with it, I just wonder how I'd actually use a tablet differently from a regular computer. Like you, the room I spend most of my time in happens to contain my Macbook Pro, so I'm not really sure what an iPad would add to that situation. And, really, my iPhone covers any surfing outside my room quite nicely. I can type pretty quickly on it and never feel particularly constricted by its size. It works great for surfing on the train during my commute. I even read on it surprisingly often, even though I usually have my Kindle with me.

So yeah, I'm really curious what an iPad could add to my life, rather than just duplicate functionality I already have.

As I go to bed now I quite often watch my Starcraft streams on the device. Its not something I ever thought i might want to do, but its cool to have it and be able to. the Ipad is also just plain nicer to use than an iphone. At the time I got it, I didn't have a smartphone, though. I also use it in place of my laptop when I go to work sometimes - its easier to carry around and it does everything the laptop can do.

I use my iPad, coupled with a bleutoot keyboard, as a sort of secondary workstation, with OmniFocus (task/project management app) open so that I can easily add tasks and check my pending stuff as it happens.

If you have a laptop and an iPhone already, it is going to duplicate functionally you already have. The question is, though, if you had your laptop, your iPhone, and an iPad all sitting within arm's reach, which one would you grab for X activity? Unless you're making a phone call, the iPad probably wins out over the iPhone, and unless you're doing a lot of typing or using software the iPad can't run, the iPad probably wins out over the laptop.

The question then becomes how much that luxury is worth to you.

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »

If you have a laptop and an iPhone already, it is going to duplicate functionally you already have. The question is, though, if you had your laptop, your iPhone, and an iPad all sitting within arm's reach, which one would you grab for X activity? Unless you're making a phone call, the iPad probably wins out over the iPhone, and unless you're doing a lot of typing or using software the iPad can't run, the iPad probably wins out over the laptop.

Agreed. I've also found the iPad to be a great e-reader. I was considering a Kindle as well, since I was worried about reading on an LCD vs e-ink. I can't speak for the iPad 1/2 screens, but reading on the 3 has been wonderful, and I've already gone through two books and a ton of comics. Having a single device with everything I want to read on it has been really, really great - far better than I thought it would be.

Is that alone worth $600? probably not, but it's also my go-to web and rss reading device now.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i should get some comics

poo
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    i should get some comics

comics are amazing on the old iPad.

i can only imagine they have gotten worlds better with a retina display.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    syndalis wrote: »
    i should get some comics

comics are amazing on the old iPad.

i can only imagine they have gotten worlds better with a retina display.

They look very comparable to print, I thought they looked identical really, and that was before the CMX-HD upgrade.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Okay I finally got an iPad after waiting three generations. I was so hesitant to spend the money.

I shouldnt have been. This thing is amazing!!

Does anyone know where to get some good, LCD friendly microfiber cloths on the cheap? I've been using the felt side of my Smart Cover and it's been working great, but I need them for stuff like my monitor and TV as well.

steam_sig.png
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular

Right on. My Macbook has rarely left my desk since I got an iPad. But sometimes I'll bring it out to the couch if I need to do a lot of typing and don't feel like sitting at my desk. This is happening a lot lately as I'm writing up job applications. But even though the Macbook is on my lap, when I'm done working I will most often put it down and grab the iPad for web browsing and RSS and Twitter. It's smaller and lighter and doesn't get hot, and it's got apps like Instapaper and Flipboard that make reading so much better. I could do generally the same stuff on my Mac, but I prefer the iPad.

Also, for those concerned about the back of the iPad, check these out: http://blog.myiskin.com/sneak-peek-solo-smart-new-ipad-3rd-gen

I've had iSkin cases on every iPhone and iPod I've owned, and I love them. I've got a Solo on my 4S and it's a fantastic case, and this looks like a bigger version for the iPad. Plus it's compatible with the smart cover. When I get a new iPad I'll be getting one of these.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Six wrote: »

Agreed. I've also found the iPad to be a great e-reader. I was considering a Kindle as well, since I was worried about reading on an LCD vs e-ink. I can't speak for the iPad 1/2 screens, but reading on the 3 has been wonderful, and I've already gone through two books and a ton of comics. Having a single device with everything I want to read on it has been really, really great - far better than I thought it would be.

Is that alone worth $600? probably not, but it's also my go-to web and rss reading device now.

I've recently bought both. The kindle is the better e reader hands down. But there are specific uses for both.

For me at least, my iPad hadn't even left the house it's basically my couch device. I use it in the evenings and mornings. I use the ereader on when viv is using the tv in a manner I'm not too interested in gaming/show I don't like. It's useful and easy to access. But at the same time, so is everything else. I will check facebook or the forums while I'm reaching.

My kindle in the other hand lives in the bag I take to work. It's lighter, and has a longer battery so I worry less about being near a power source when using it. It's also way easier to use on the train while standing up due to its size/weight. Additionally since its far more of a single purpose device I find it way easier to do a good hunk of reading on it. I'm also way more confident that the kindle will survive the occasional rock nd tinker that my bag goes through.

I see them as complimentary devices. One thing I do prefer to do on the iPad over the kindle though is buy the books. The bookstore while functionable just isn't as good ad the fully rendered web page on the iPad. Plus there is page syncing. Which is fucking sweet.

Blake T on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    iPhone question. Can you hook up a Bluetooth keyboard to this thing? I know the iPad supports it, but does the iPhone? I'm jailbroken on 4s if that matters. It'd be nice to be able to write without having to lug around my giant laptop. If it is possible, can anyone recommend a good writing app and a good portable Bluetooth keyboard?

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Six wrote: »

I've recently bought both. The kindle is the better e reader hands down. But there are specific uses for both.

For me at least, my iPad hadn't even left the house it's basically my couch device. I use it in the evenings and mornings. I use the ereader on when viv is using the tv in a manner I'm not too interested in gaming/show I don't like. It's useful and easy to access. But at the same time, so is everything else. I will check facebook or the forums while I'm reaching.

My kindle in the other hand lives in the bag I take to work. It's lighter, and has a longer battery so I worry less about being near a power source when using it. It's also way easier to use on the train while standing up due to its size/weight. Additionally since its far more of a single purpose device I find it way easier to do a good hunk of reading on it. I'm also way more confident that the kindle will survive the occasional rock nd tinker that my bag goes through.

I see them as complimentary devices. One thing I do prefer to do on the iPad over the kindle though is buy the books. The bookstore while functionable just isn't as good ad the fully rendered web page on the iPad. Plus there is page syncing. Which is fucking sweet.

Yeah, this is what I imagine would be the case for me as well. My issue is that I didn't want two devices, so I had to decide whether I wanted a great e-reader, or a multipurpose device that could also be an e-reader. I was worried the iPad wouldnt work well enough for me in that regard, and I am happy to say it does.

I'm sure the kindle is a better pure reading device (for books, anyway). The iPad is a good enough book reader, plus a great magazine (well, Wired) and comic reader.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    iPhone question. Can you hook up a Bluetooth keyboard to this thing? I know the iPad supports it, but does the iPhone? I'm jailbroken on 4s if that matters. It'd be nice to be able to write without having to lug around my giant laptop. If it is possible, can anyone recommend a good writing app and a good portable Bluetooth keyboard?

I'm pretty sure you can; I remember connecting my Apple BT keyboard to my iPhone 4 for shits & giggles when I first got it. Apple's keyboard is really nice, but there are probably cheaper ones out there that work just as well.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    @Bullio I bought this pack for my LCD cleaning duties and they're quite nice. They're about the size of a large washcloth, so not pocketable but handy for having around the house for cleaning larger surfaces.

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimted-ACC-FIBER6-Absorbent-Microfiber/dp/B0026MF17C

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Yep, super easy to connect and use. Works with pretty much any legit one. Off brand ones start to get dodgy though.

Cormac wrote: »
    @Bullio I bought this pack for my LCD cleaning duties and they're quite nice. They're about the size of a large washcloth, so not pocketable but handy for having around the house for cleaning larger surfaces.

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimted-ACC-FIBER6-Absorbent-Microfiber/dp/B0026MF17C

Thanks for that. I was looking at them earlier and thought the surface looked too abrasive for LCD duties, but if you vouch for them then I'll give them another look.

steam_sig.png
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    They're more like a very soft towel compared to the cloths I clean my glasses with. When I cleaned my LCD monitor, I used a cleaning solution with the cloths and they worked really well.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    elevature wrote: »

Right on. My Macbook has rarely left my desk since I got an iPad. But sometimes I'll bring it out to the couch if I need to do a lot of typing and don't feel like sitting at my desk. This is happening a lot lately as I'm writing up job applications. But even though the Macbook is on my lap, when I'm done working I will most often put it down and grab the iPad for web browsing and RSS and Twitter. It's smaller and lighter and doesn't get hot, and it's got apps like Instapaper and Flipboard that make reading so much better. I could do generally the same stuff on my Mac, but I prefer the iPad.

Also, for those concerned about the back of the iPad, check these out: http://blog.myiskin.com/sneak-peek-solo-smart-new-ipad-3rd-gen

I've had iSkin cases on every iPhone and iPod I've owned, and I love them. I've got a Solo on my 4S and it's a fantastic case, and this looks like a bigger version for the iPad. Plus it's compatible with the smart cover. When I get a new iPad I'll be getting one of these.

Thanks for all the replies. Definitely gives me a better idea of how I might use it.

For the moment, I use my Macbook Pro for absolutely everything. At home, it's my digital audio workstation, my gaming PC, my TV... I also bring it to work daily and run InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Office on it. And I usually keep Logic running in the background so I can listen to my projects over and over again while working. It is pretty much the ultimate combination of power and mobility. It's so damn powerful, but also lasts really long on battery power, and is basically imperceptible in my bag. I definitely use it well beyond the capabilities of any tablet in existence. But...

Should I get a new job that wouldn't benefit so much from the mobile power of this laptop, I could probably get away with trading the Macbook Pro for an iMac/Mac Pro (it would have to be a well paying job for the latter) and an iPad.

edited March 2012
    Black logo BOOKback DODOcases are in! Looking forward to slapping it on my new iPad and completing my set of cases.

They also gave me a referral link that saves 10% on my order and someone else's order if used. I have no idea where the rules thread has gone off to so I don't want to post it in case it's a violation, but if anyone's been looking into buying one (or any DODOcase, for that matter) and wants to save us both 10% on our respective orders (basically enough to cover some/all of the shipping) PM me and I'll send over the link. Link expires in 10 days.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    In my case, I have a two year old netbook that's showing a lot of wear, so the iPad in many ways is not that duplicative. However, I've struggled to think of what else I would genuinely enjoy using it for, other than web browsing. I mean, for browsing I fully expect it to be awesome, it's just that casual farting-about browsing at home is not something that I particularly value, the way I would playing video games.

There are certainly a number of nifty app versions of boardgames that I'd want to check out, and comics would be a huge seller if they weren't so terribly expensive, and I have a kindle that I would do my reading on. Having a legit school use for it would be good, but I think occasional browsing for research, and then moderate typing(though this isn't really an improvement over the netbook) would be ok, and manipulating excel sheets with a wireless keyboard would be fantastic if feasible.

And regarding covers: I keep thinking a smart cover is surely enough for a house-only iPad. Just always lay it face-down with the cover touching whatever surface it's on.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited March 2012
    Smart Cover slides around too easily if rested on that side, thus leaving the screen exposed and iPad awake. If you're just setting it down that would work, but it's not ideal if it has the chance of being bumped or moved.

And at least in the case of something like the BOOKback, you get a more comfortable and secure surface to grip on the back. Smart Cover would most likely not slide around as much when folded over against that surface as well as opposed to the slick metal backing of the iPad.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2012
    Anybody either know of a really good IM app that supports GTalk besides imo.im or know how to fix imo.im's aggravating problem of not sending notifications when someone messages me? Any setting remotely related to notifications is set correctly. I'd rather not re-buy Beejive but it worked really well on the iPhone, notifications and all.

Edit: Derp derp, nevermind. Logging out of Gtalk everywhere except imo.im fixed it.

Sarksus on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Right now I use a netbook for taking notes in class/web-browsing and a separate MBP for my main computer. The new iPad is pretty tempting for next year though; seems like with a bluetooth keyboard it could be just as good at taking notes.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    It's funny how you guys are classifying the comics as expensive.

Here, because of shipping they end up being around five dollars an issue.

I'm all, only two dollars!

Also amazon advertises a bare bones Bluetooth keyboard the same-ish size as the apple one for forty dollars.

This is really annoying. It sends notifications more often now but not every time.

• Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    What screen protectors do you guys use for your iPhones?

I bought an Invisible Shield for my 4S and so far it's been really crummy. None of the corners and edges stay down and it doesn't work well with my Switcheasy TRIM case.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
    I don't think a screen protector is at all necessary.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I don't think a screen protector is at all necessary.

it's not

this glass does not scratch easy (or at all really)

poo
    Blake T wrote: »
    Also amazon advertises a bare bones Bluetooth keyboard the same-ish size as the apple one for forty dollars.

Yeah, that one looks pretty nice and would fit perfectly into my bag, versus the Apple one which winds up being a little snug.

Got my Booq boa skin today. For the $11 after shipping I paid for it I think it'll work quite well. The hard front cover for screen protection is a little flimsier than I was expecting (it's basically just thin cardboard sewn inside), but with the Smart Cover providing some extra protection when inside I think it'll give enough extra padding to keep it sufficiently protected inside a bag for travel purposes. There's plenty of room to slide it in with the SC, and plenty of room left for my BOOKback when it arrives. Despite the stretchy back, the iPad feels secure when slipped inside. If I grab it by the end and hold it upside down the iPad doesn't move, but if I give it a couple shakes it starts to slide out. It adds plenty of protection for when I put it down anywhere or if I want to charge it, so I no longer have to worry about which surface I set it down on. It's also not full enclosed (it's a slipcover/sleeve type case), so I can put the iPad in upside down to have it protected while charging. For anyone that wants to have something to just slip an iPad inside of, or is looking for a little bit of extra protection, and also wants to be able to use other cases with it, for $11 I think you'd do well with getting this.

steam_sig.png
    Yeah I ordered one of those to start with. Don't wanna spend a lot of money. The free shipping is so slow though!