As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] Badges are arriving! Do Not Post Pictures of your badges!

• jhier06jhier06 Registered User new member
    edited March 2012
    I got both my badges in the mail today. As a lot of people have said, on one of my badges, the upper right image is very scratched and almost falling apart. This is my first Pax and I am a bit nervous.

jhier06 on
  • NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Check the last page, jhier. That one sticker does not compromise the authenticity of the badge, so you should be fine. :)

• jhier06jhier06 Registered User new member
    Ahhh yes, I see that now. I overlooked it earlier. Thank you Nullzone.

And, to keep the conversation going... I did not get a Bobcat in the mail... My cat came with the name of Reuben. Will Reubencats work at the convention or will I need to exchange him?

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    One idea for the future (if it hasn't already been done) might be to embed RFID chips in all the badges. That would make it really easy to find the fakes. As you enter the con, walking through an "RFID Arch" could give the staff a simple way of telling if a badge is fake or not. You could even do the keyfob thing and let people turn them in at the end of PAX to save on some cost.

That_Guy on
  • AmbushIntheDarkAmbushIntheDark Registered User new member
    Hey guys, this is gonna be my first PAX and my group hasn't gotten our badges in the mail yet. I think my excitement/hype is making this worse than it really is to me but, the fact that so many people have gotten them already has got me really nervous. We live in the western new york area and I was wondering how long I should wait before I REALLY start to freak out and email the support. Me and my friends I am going with ordered them about a week or so before the cut off date so I dont think that should be an issue.

• KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    jhier06 wrote: »
    Ahhh yes, I see that now. I overlooked it earlier. Thank you Nullzone.

And, to keep the conversation going... I did not get a Bobcat in the mail... My cat came with the name of Reuben. Will Reubencats work at the convention or will I need to exchange him?

It depends if he measures up to fierceness levels. Does he bring down white-tailed deer all by himself?

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2012
    Hey guys, this is gonna be my first PAX and my group hasn't gotten our badges in the mail yet. I think my excitement/hype is making this worse than it really is to me but, the fact that so many people have gotten them already has got me really nervous. We live in the western new york area and I was wondering how long I should wait before I REALLY start to freak out and email the support. Me and my friends I am going with ordered them about a week or so before the cut off date so I dont think that should be an issue.

They go out in waves that aren't dependent on location or whatever. There's no way to know for sure when to expect your badges. If you don't have them by, say, the Tuesday before PAX, email pax_questions@paxsite.com and explain your exact situation about not getting your badges in the mail. They will give you instructions about what to do. As a precaution, you should also bring your confirmations and photo ID to pax, but that will mean nothing without correspondence from pax_questions.

zerzhul on
    That_Guy wrote: »
    One idea for the future (if it hasn't already been done) might be to embed RFID chips in all the badges. That would make it really easy to find the fakes. As you enter the con, walking through an "RFID Arch" could give the staff a simple way of telling if a badge is fake or not. You could even do the keyfob thing and let people turn them in at the end of PAX to save on some cost.

I'd be willing to bet that RFID chips have been considered (if they aren't already in the badges, as you say). Something to suggest in the post-pax suggestions thread though, as this thread probably won't be scoured by anyone from Reed/PA on a regular basis.

• jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I know this was considered, but I believe it was rejected due to the very high cost for the relatively small benefit. (I do not speak for PA or Reed and I do not know exactly what caused them to implement the anti-counterfeiting measures they way they have.)

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • TangoTango Registered User regular
    RFID was considered during the initial consultation process. It wasn't implemented for East 2012. And that, my friends, is the end of that particular discussion. ;)

• BottleguyBottleguy Registered User new member

I live in WNY as well and haven't gotten mine yet too, I'm sure they will be coming soon. I know about the nervous feeling!

• Prototype AxlPrototype Axl Registered User regular
    Chorazin wrote: »
    Well duh, that's one of the ways they can tell if it's official! Stop giving this info away to bobcat counterfeiters!

I think it will still be difficult to counterfeit. I saw my friend's bobcat and his ran around the house for hours on end. It also had a different spot pattern.

• feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    thedandmom wrote: »
    Question. I got two 3 day passes, but don't need them because we're in a panel and are getting panelist badges, what do?

Give them to some friends?

Due to new rules as of Prime 2011, we are no longer able to discuss non-official methods of badges changing hands on these forums.

I think this is a legitimate question to email pax_questions@paxsite.com about. If you already received them, they may be able to help you figure something out.

• gerafingerafin Registered User regular
    I might have a problem. I received two bobcats - one for me and one for a friend - but apparently they were of the opposite sex, and I now have an entire litter of bobcats.
    Has anyone in security taken this into consideration? If our badges are reproducing, are their genetically similar offspring going to pass enforcer inspection? In order to produce counterfeit badges, do you just have to breed them? I'm surprised that PAX did not take the time to fix their badges before sending them out...

• MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    FYI, for those wondering about what counterfit badges are looking like, I checked with my sources, and it looks like some have been spotted in the wild:
    763%20bobcat.jpg

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    When I received my bobcat, it didn't come with a leash or cage...and it seems to have escaped. Am I liable for damage caused while it's out carousing or can I blame PA/Reed for that?

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
    edited March 2012
    gespo89 wrote: »
    FYI, for those wondering about what counterfit badges are looking like, I checked with my sources, and it looks like some have been spotted in the wild:
    763%20bobcat.jpg

I am slain, this killed me from laughter

Well played sir.

Nullzone on
  • ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    gerafin wrote: »
    I might have a problem. I received two bobcats - one for me and one for a friend - but apparently they were of the opposite sex, and I now have an entire litter of bobcats.
    Has anyone in security taken this into consideration? If our badges are reproducing, are their genetically similar offspring going to pass enforcer inspection? In order to produce counterfeit badges, do you just have to breed them? I'm surprised that PAX did not take the time to fix their badges before sending them out...

Well for one, they're too small to pass as real badges. If you would have read the letter that came with your bobcats, you'd know you are to turn in the cubs at the front desk to be used for next year.

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    I love this forum.

• kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    I hope sometime during PAX we forum members challenge the veracity of our respective passes by asking where the hell our bobcat is. That has to happen.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

edited March 2012
    kropotkin wrote: »
    I hope sometime during PAX we forum members challenge the veracity of our respective passes by asking where the hell our bobcat is. That has to happen.

I now have the image of a flash mob of people holding stuffed bobcats stuck in my head.

...Like this one or this one.

Or the itty bitty one

Kiashien on

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
    Well considering I posted my badges (stuffed bobcats), what makes you think that I'm not bringing those to PAX? ;)

Well considering I posted my badges (stuffed bobcats), what makes you think that I'm not bringing those to PAX? ;)

I may have ordered a couple.... That's how forum goers will have to identify each other from now on. The BIS... Bobcat Identification System

Kiashien wrote: »

I may have ordered a couple.... That's how forum goers will have to identify each other from now on. The BIS... Bobcat Identification System

Amazon Prime is a dangerous tool.

Amazon Prime is a dangerous tool.

Yes.. yes it is.

• gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular

I've thought about having some Bobcat patches made up for the future...just as a thing from now on. Any takers?

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • VolaroVolaro The Iron Gentleman Registered User regular
    I love this forum.

gigabrain wrote: »

I've thought about having some Bobcat patches made up for the future...just as a thing from now on. Any takers?

Do eet. The Bobcats must roam free!

• natedoggcatanatedoggcata Registered User regular
    Well here it is Monday and still no passes :( Im really starting to get worried cause we are leaving for PAX on Wednesday... I emailed support... how long until they respond?

Well here it is Monday and still no passes :( Im really starting to get worried cause we are leaving for PAX on Wednesday... I emailed support... how long until they respond?

by "emailed support" do you mean pax_questions@paxsite.com or something else? And there's no way to know how long someone will take to answer an email :P They'll likely be checking it pretty often though this close to pax.

• purewhisperspurewhispers Boston, MARegistered User new member
    edited April 2012

If it's any consolation, my boyfriend and I are still waiting on our passes too. (And I actually live in Boston, so I really don't understand why it's taking so long to reach me!) I'm going to email them this evening if my badge doesn't arrive today. I've heard the PAX support email folks can sometimes be super busy this close to the convention, but I figure if worst comes to worst and I don't get my passes AND I don't get an email response from PAX support (pax_questions@paxsite.com), I'll just show up at registration/will-call on Thursday or Friday and just explain the situation (with my confirmation page in hand, of course). There really isn't much else that can be done, as far as I know.

purewhispers on
    Keep in mind that, depending on when you purchased, you may not be expected to receive badges in the mail at all and instead will be picking them up at registration/will call. (Definitely try to confirm this with pax_questions@paxsite.com though!)

edited April 2012
    Nullzone wrote: »
    Keep in mind that, depending on when you purchased, you may not be expected to receive badges in the mail at all and instead will be picking them up at registration/will call. (Definitely try to confirm this with pax_questions@paxsite.com though!)

That's actually a big consideration for my situation. The stated cutoff date for getting badges mailed was 3/16. We ordered ours around 5pm on 3/15. It's possible it was just barely too late, but since it was still prior to 3/16, I was still expecting them in the mail. I'm definitely going to explain that to pax_questions@paxsite.com to get the final word on it, though.

purewhispers on
  • JayDfromMAJayDfromMA MARegistered User regular
    I know on the pax twitter they said not to worry as some will be arriving tomorrow!

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod

If it's any consolation, my boyfriend and I are still waiting on our passes too. (And I actually live in Boston, so I really don't understand why it's taking so long to reach me!) I'm going to email them this evening if my badge doesn't arrive today. I've heard the PAX support email folks can sometimes be super busy this close to the convention, but I figure if worst comes to worst and I don't get my passes AND I don't get an email response from PAX support (pax_questions@paxsite.com), I'll just show up at registration/will-call on Thursday or Friday and just explain the situation (with my confirmation page in hand, of course). There really isn't much else that can be done, as far as I know.

The passes go out in waves. It's possible that they sent out the ones who ordered first before the ones who ordered later. So, even though you live in Boston, yours may have been in the last wave to go out.

E6LkoFK.png

Ah, it seems both of you are correct! I found two of the relevant tweets:

Looks like I'll be giving it one more day. Thanks for all the help, guys!

• JayDfromMAJayDfromMA MARegistered User regular
    we are all here to help!

• natedoggcatanatedoggcata Registered User regular
    I got a response back rather quickly. Very impressed by them also they were super helpful

• AmbushIntheDarkAmbushIntheDark Registered User new member
    Tuesday has come and still no badges. Emailed support. Freaking out/Sad panda.

Tuesday has come and still no badges. Emailed support. Freaking out/Sad panda.

Same here. I sent out my email to pax_questions@paxsite.com a little while ago. Fingers crossed we both get some advice soon!