As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Chat Thread: Patch 5.0 on August 28th! Change your passwords.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Yes the vendor filter is awesome. Little things like that help a lot.

Has anyone in beta tried the new zones that were unlocked with the last patch? Curious about how feature complete they seem to be.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    So, how 'bout that new vendor filter? Will be so nice not having to sift through several pages of stuff trying to find something without int or agility on it.

The T14 pally armor looks leagues better than the godawful challenge set. I really like the warlock set too.

@TPSou: I doubt we'll see any of those until after MoP launches. Blizz has said they won't be ready for release, but will be able to focus on them once Pandaria is polished up.

I wonder how the vendor filter is determining what is fire/frost/arcane in that screenshot.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    So, how 'bout that new vendor filter? Will be so nice not having to sift through several pages of stuff trying to find something without int or agility on it.

The T14 pally armor looks leagues better than the godawful challenge set. I really like the warlock set too.

@TPSou: I doubt we'll see any of those until after MoP launches. Blizz has said they won't be ready for release, but will be able to focus on them once Pandaria is polished up.

I wonder how the vendor filter is determining what is fire/frost/arcane in that screenshot.
    I can't see the pic, but I'm going to assume it's "has int, doesn't have spirit" and that's about it.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2012
    They have literally only finished the dwarf models.

And knowing Blizzard, that means "the male model is done," because they love half-assing the poor women.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    I didn't even think they'd finished the dwarf models yet. I thought their big expectation tempering response was that dwarves would be the only one they'd even have finished by retail in a hypothetical updated model release, which kind of implied they're not even ready with those yet.

I can't find the exact quote, but the way I interpreted it is that they're still so far away from a full old race revamp that they won't release any of them (not even the dwarf one) for MoP retail. Maybe they'll change their minds, and I'm obviously just speculating, but I get the feeling that this is still something that's a couple years out.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    They have literally only finished the dwarf models.

And knowing Blizzard, that means "the male model is done," because they love half-assing the poor women.

Heh, that sounds dirty

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • WhoaFooglesWhoaFoogles Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    I didn't even think they'd finished the dwarf models yet. I thought their big expectation tempering response was that dwarves would be the only one they'd even have finished by retail in a hypothetical updated model release, which kind of implied they're not even ready with those yet.

I can't find the exact quote, but the way I interpreted it is that they're still so far away from a full old race revamp that they won't release any of them (not even the dwarf one) for MoP retail. Maybe they'll change their minds, and I'm obviously just speculating, but I get the feeling that this is still something that's a couple years out.

It was in this interview with Tom Chilton (it's the first question asked). Here's the quote:
    We are slowly in progress with revamping the races, but the reality is that at best we would get the Dwarves for Mists of Pandaria, and even that's on the bubble. It is something that we are planning to do, it is something that we want to get to and actually believe is valuable.

I expect they'll release the updates in a set of patches a while after release.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I wonder if it's too valuable at this point to not use as an expansion bullet point.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    forty wrote: »

The bolded is exactly what was stated more or less. My only gripe about the race revamps is that they should've been further along in it since the idea was presented (publicly, which means internally it was already known) back in the summer of 2010. But oh well, it's no use getting upset about that anymore.

I'm hoping they don't just recreate the existing animations when they do this. I mean, keeping the animations more or less the same should be done, but there's definitely cases where an animation can be tweaked or just changed outright.

And as I said already, the wait for the race revamps would be less painful if they dropped occasional updates (be it still pictures or animations) on it. Because right now, "revamp" may not mean what we think it means. There's always a chance it will be handled in a half-assed manner, which would make me a sad panda.

Edit - And just to be that guy: I hope they take this opportunity to fix headgear for trolls and tauren, because really, neither race should be wearing traditional 'helmets' to begin with. Trolls can get by with hoods, but 'helmet' type things should be modeled as masks really (it's their thing, culturally). As for Tauren, I dunno how they'd change that. But wearing a helmet (and even hoods) seems so... bizarre. But this is all the ramblings of someone who is ignoring the time and effort to make such things happen.

Henroid on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Pally T14 don't look all that bad.

In other news, H Blackhorn down. Probably could have spent some time on H Spine but we hadn't done any research on it yet.

Paladin tier gear hasn't looked awesome since Ulduar. /opinion

Well, I'd argue ICC was pretty close (needed to be legs and not a dress though), and FL and DS tiers were also really good.

At least we've moved away from the abominations like T1, T7, and T11.

Back when T8 was being datamined off PTR, MMO-Champion got us eight models, four colors with pants and four colors with skirts. Personally, I thought Judgement Armor made the robe-style legs fine for all, but I was still hoping that they'd let you pick up your choice of one or the other at the vendor.

SabreMau on
  • IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    I just checked my account and I got into beta within the last 6 hours, so they're up to July 2005 at least?

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    So I may be a Johnny Come Lately with this question, but seeing how you know, Pandas, do the Chinese get different content or are they ok culturally with people killing panda bear people.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Remember they also added in the prereq of time signed up for the Annual Pass too. So they might just be up to July 2005 of the people who signed up for the Annual Pass in the first month or so.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Load must be heavy, I keep getting kicked while trying to create a character

Bigity wrote: »
    So I may be a Johnny Come Lately with this question, but seeing how you know, Pandas, do the Chinese get different content or are they ok culturally with people killing panda bear people.

I'm pretty sure someone, shortly after MoP was announced, around here explained that the whole "pandas can't be killed in media" thing re: China was more of an urban legend than anything but I'll be damned if I'm going to try to find the post.

• IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Remember they also added in the prereq of time signed up for the Annual Pass too. So they might just be up to July 2005 of the people who signed up for the Annual Pass in the first month or so.

True, I signed up during Blizzcon so I was early on that.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Pally T14 don't look all that bad.

In other news, H Blackhorn down. Probably could have spent some time on H Spine but we hadn't done any research on it yet.

Paladin tier gear hasn't looked awesome since Ulduar. /opinion

Well, I'd argue ICC was pretty close (needed to be legs and not a dress though), and FL and DS tiers were also really good.

At least we've moved away from the abominations like T1, T7, and T11.

Back when T8 was being datamined off PTR, MMO-Champion got us eight models, four colors with pants and four colors with skirts. Personally, I thought Judgement Armor made the robe-style legs fine for all, but I was still hoping that they'd let you pick up your choice of one or the other at the vendor.

It's going to take something a lot cooler than we've seen to get me to change my T4 for tanking and Wrathful for ret transmog stuff.

When the current seasons pvp gear goes honor in MoP I'm buying the shit out of it; but so far nothing else is really striking my fancy.

To the point that I kinda realized yesterday that I don't actually care about getting the holy boots from LFR to match all the rest of the set I have because I think pally T13 looks bad.

Also I liked T11 minus the helmet. The blue version is silly, but the HM coloring is actually really cool IMO.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

I'm pretty sure someone, shortly after MoP was announced, around here explained that the whole "pandas can't be killed in media" thing re: China was more of an urban legend than anything but I'll be damned if I'm going to try to find the post.

It's totally an urban legend, and there are asian games which feature playable panda people. Now, China did find aspects of the pandaren offensive, but that was more a matter of the panda being a Chinese icon, and the pandaren being covered with Japanese symbology.

liEt3nH.png
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Ishtaar wrote: »
    I just checked my account and I got into beta within the last 6 hours, so they're up to July 2005 at least?

Not necessarely. I started on launch day, got the year pass as soon as it was offered, and I don't have beta yet.

steam_sig.png
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    You're probably more likely to get in earlier if you have a rarer OS or hardware that they want more people testing on.

Hey look at that, I got into beta.

Honestly I'm not sure I even want to bother. :(

Rofl! So I just said that. Then logged into bnet to check, and sure enough, both mop and d3 betas are active!

steam_sig.png
  • Enosh20Enosh20 Registered User regular
    I love howling blast in instances
    *howling blast*
    uuu pretty numbers, lets do another one
    fuck my health is gone ^^

love my DK, kinda regret doing a warrior to 55 first, should have been a paladin since I am liking the melee+magic combo quite a lot
    also my Draenei looks a lot better than my human

So much for schoolwork tonight...

steam_sig.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular

It's totally an urban legend, and there are asian games which feature playable panda people. Now, China did find aspects of the pandaren offensive, but that was more a matter of the panda being a Chinese icon, and the pandaren being covered with Japanese symbology.

It seems like it became more of a thing after they changed all the models in wrath because of zombies/exposed bones issue (which apparently is a thing over there), and it wouldn't be surprising if they replaced some of the pan-asian iconography with more china-centric stuff

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I'm watching the Yogscast video where they are doing the Jade Forest.

The numbers in this game are just hilariously ridiculous now.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Almost as ridiculous as Simon's squee.

488W936.png
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Almost as ridiculous as Simon's squee.

One of them does absolutely the best monkey impression ever.

• tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    This is why I love linux. The beta wasn't playing nice with wine so I had to install on my wife's laptop and copy the installation over. Now the patch fubar'd things so I went to the wine forum and they had a workaround to get the launcher working under wine. When that didn't work I had to figure out what the lines of commands actually did and fix the paths. Now I've run agent.exe and the launcher manually from the terminal and I have all kind of text scrolling by and the patch downloading like a boss.

I know I didn't do anything but copy and paste a few lines of commands but I feel like I just hacked the Gibson.

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    You all can have your beta...I got into "the anger of Azeroth"!
    To English-speaking players:
     In March 27, 2012,World of Warcraft is trying to launch a New version of Game:

The anger of Azeroth

New Maps, New Races, Funny Pets, More Skills and Endless Challenges!

Participating in our theme, you can probably get lucky prizes, including up to six day free game time.

For more amazing information, please visit our website:

(website deleted).

Tip: This link is a one-off. Please do not resubmit

Verify your account to support the safety confirmation. Please enter the correct account name and password

If you have additional questions or concerns, please log in to the Blizzard Customer Support web site

at (website deleted) and reply to the ticket.

Looking forward to your participation!

Game Master Rahzzyl
    Customer Service
    Blizzard Entertainment

Doctor Detroit on
    ahahaha

I love that "World of Warcraft is trying to launch a new version of game"

That's some epic english right there.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Man, with today's new Priest skills, I *really* wish there was a Divine damage-focused spec.

I say slaughter the old golden cow of "three specs per class." It's not like there's talent trees anymore that you have to worry about. Go nuts with it.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    You all can have your beta...I got into "the anger of Azeroth"!
    To English-speaking players:
     In March 27, 2012,World of Warcraft is trying to launch a New version of Game:

The anger of Azeroth

New Maps, New Races, Funny Pets, More Skills and Endless Challenges!

Participating in our theme, you can probably get lucky prizes, including up to six day free game time.

For more amazing information, please visit our website:

(website deleted).

Tip: This link is a one-off. Please do not resubmit

Verify your account to support the safety confirmation. Please enter the correct account name and password

If you have additional questions or concerns, please log in to the Blizzard Customer Support web site

at (website deleted) and reply to the ticket.

Looking forward to your participation!

Game Master Rahzzyl
    Customer Service
    Blizzard Entertainment

I love that it is addressed "To English-speaking players", as if the fact that it's in (broken) English doesn't sell that good enough :D

Also, seriously, what is it with gold farmers and phrases like "lucky prizes" - I swear every gold farmer scam e-mail has some variation on the word "lucky" in their e-mail. I guess it must be one of those cultural things... You don't tend to see "lucky" in formal writing like that, it just feels unnatural.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Ishtaar wrote: »
    Not necessarely. I started on launch day, got the year pass as soon as it was offered, and I don't have beta yet.
    Ditto. Bleh.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I wonder if there will be any quests or other things in MoP that poke fun at all the gold farming and account stealing? The fact that there will actually be farming leads me to think yes.

Also, as far as the beta goes, I've been subbed since...January 2009 (yep, late to the party) and signed away a year pretty soon after it went live. No beta for me yet.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I don't understand why account origin date is a factor.

YL9WnCY.png
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Did Blizz come out and say specifically they're being done in account origin/signup order? Because that sure sounds like a myth to me, especially since my account is from WoW beta times and I signed up the first day it was offered.

edited March 2012
    They said that was one of the factors yes, but not the only one.

I'm sure there are many others that we can't see like actual activity, times reported, and things like that.

The Dude With Herpes on

• SelectaSelecta Registered User regular
    The drake dropped off Madness tonight and I won the roll! Then our master looter gave it to the pug tank by accident and the dude logged. Fuck yeah!

MNWGRdm.png
    PSN: Hellcore- Steam MWO: Hellcore
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Opty wrote: »
    Did Blizz come out and say specifically they're being done in account origin/signup order? Because that sure sounds like a myth to me, especially since my account is from WoW beta times and I signed up the first day it was offered.

Its in the FAQ. From the guy invited above in the thread they havent gotten past Blizzcon signups yet for annual pass which would prolly take precedence over most other sign ups.

Edit: Woot Closed Public Beta on Diablo 3 got!

Jubal77 on
This discussion has been closed.