As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TRENCHES] Thursday, March 29, 2012 - Ramifications

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited March 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Ramifications

Ramifications
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/ramifications

Why I don’t work at Gamestop anymore

Anonymous

I worked in Gamestop through two black fridays and two Christmases. I was a Game Advisor, the lowest rung on the ladder. There had recently been a robbery at one of the stores in the district, and they were installing cameras in our store when it happened.

It was about an hour before opening. I was there to help clean up from the camera installation and get a longer shift that day. My manager was there, and this was just before the release of the first UFC game. A guy, dressed in what can only be described as red footie pajamas for adults, walks up to the door just as the security installer is finishing up. He leans against the door and starts trying to look inside at us. There’s about $500 sitting on the floor, out of sight of him, but it makes the manager very nervous.

He turns to me and says “Go tell that guy we aren’t open and to come back in an hour, but I don’t want you to open the door to say it.”

I walk over to the door and shout “We’re not open until eleven!” The guy is in his mid thirties, receding hairline, drool in the corner of his mouth, with eyes that don’t lock onto anything. No response whatsoever. He continues to drool in front of the door.

My manager says “Go around the back of the store, outside, and tell him. I don’t think he heard you.”

So I go through the uber-secured back door (this thing was pretty cool, for a door) and head outside. It was at this point that I realized how good the air seal on the front door was because this guy smelled like a burning sewer rat. I was a good 10 yards away from him, and I could smell him clearly.

I cleared my throat. No response. I cough a little louder, trying to get his attention. Nothing.

I say “Sir?”

Direct eye contact. He spins around and looks square at me, then starts groaning and grunting and making really, truly fucked up noises. He starts to *run* towards me. I panicked and sprinted for the back door. When I get there, the manager has closed it. I’m stuck outside with a man who smells like the breeze off a landfill, and my manager has locked me out here.

There’s not even a doorknob on this side of the door. The man comes bolting for me around the corner. I pound on the back door and run.

He chased me around the whole building four times. Finally, my manager opens the front door for me, and we both are surprised when the man continues to run past the entrance, all the way around the building.

He’s dead silent, not breathing weird or making noises or anything. Just running in red footie pajamas around and around a mostly empty strip mall.

We both stand there in silence for a few minutes.

“Why did you close the back door?”

“I didn’t want him to get inside and rob us.”

“Aren’t you going to let him in once we’re open?”

“Yes, but not until then.”

“I’d like to tender my resignation.”

And that’s why I don’t work at Gamestop anymore.

Geth on

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    uh excuse me, but two perpendicular rings would form a gravitationally unstable system and quickly degrade to a single-plane ring *pushes glasses up nose, snorts*

sig.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Well, Lawstar is badly programmed, right? ;D

This story is the craziest.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Tossrock wrote: »
    uh excuse me, but two perpendicular rings would form a gravitationally unstable system and quickly degrade to a single-plane ring *pushes glasses up nose, snorts*
    This happened recently you dolt. The rings are collapsing thru just haven't had time to yet.

Take off those glasses.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for characters in a comic appearing in a game mostly as they normally appear, but this strip is great.

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Henroid wrote: »
    Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for characters in a comic appearing in a game mostly as they normally appear, but this strip is great.

Indeed. The almost lifeless reply to "It's beautiful in a way" actually made me laugh. I'm still smiling a bit. This one, amuses.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    "Players must shed their excess gold to escape its perverse gravity." So apparently money in Lawstar has inventory weight? That's fucked up. Well, I guess it could be gold ingots they mined or something.

• Options
    InXplotchInXplotch Registered User regular
    I have heard a lot of gamestop horror stories, but this one was bananas

Also, the comic is legit.

PSN: InXplotch
    ... My, what a boring Signature.
  • Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    Great comic. Feels like a Jerry punchline.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Time for Japan's newest gameshow!

CUSTOMER!
    THIEF!
    OR ZOMBIE!

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    I never worked at GameStop, but one time, I walked into the middle of an armed robbery without realizing it. And then started playing their Guitar Hero display, still not realizing that I had walked into an armed robbery.

Apparently, my reaction to being a hostage is to play 'Rock You Like A Hurricane' on expert.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Aside from being a Gamestop, that story doesn't really seem connected to the industry in any way.

Also, why didn't they call the cops.

Comic is great.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Are there any MMOs with mounts that allow you to give a friend a ride? Seems like there ought to be.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Are there any MMOs with mounts that allow you to give a friend a ride? Seems like there ought to be.

Yep, there are several mounts in WoW that allow you to give a friend a ride. I had a chopper with a sidecar back when I played. It was pretty fun! There was also a dragon form that would allow you to pick your friends up and fly with them.

Also, the story was well-told.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    I never worked at GameStop, but one time, I walked into the middle of an armed robbery without realizing it. And then started playing their Guitar Hero display, still not realizing that I had walked into an armed robbery.

Apparently, my reaction to being a hostage is to play 'Rock You Like A Hurricane' on expert.

That is, of course, the correct reaction to being a hostage.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    captainkeytarcaptainkeytar Registered User regular
    I really, really hope they turn Lawstar into a real game at some point. Even if it was only a single level interjected in a Precipice episode.

God, does that outfit look stupidly awesome.

• Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    As someone who knows GameStop policies intimately well, the Game Advisor should have refused to go out the back door to interact with the "customer," immediately called his DM / HR Rep, and then sat back and laughed at the shit storm that would have come down on his store manager. Yes, there are a lot of terrible, terrible GameStop stories, but the folks at HR don't fuck around with employee safety or anything that might even remotely put an employee at risk like that

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Humans don't generally work that way, though. If your boss says "do X" and you say "hmm, no, I'm going to call your boss and tell them you told me to do X", well... even if they're reprimanded, your employment is on rocky footing.

• Options
    Human's generally work in a way that they voluntarily put themselves in serious physical risk by approaching a suspicious and seemingly volatile individual?

The only person whose employment would have been on rocky footing would have been the Store Manager's. GA would have easily been given a transfer if he felt uncomfortable and would have ended up in a store with a Store Manager that would have said, "Wait, he did WHAT?"

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    OufourOufour Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Aside from being a Gamestop, that story doesn't really seem connected to the industry in any way.

Comic is great.

True, but let's be honest, you can't read that and not post it.

Also he technically didn't do anything that the cops would need to get involved with. It's not illegal to be weird.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Maybe it's just me, but yeah - I have a hard time standing up to a stupid boss.

A superior tells me to do something I know for a fact is wrong, I'll try and, y'know, suggest the proper alternative. If they shoot that down, I just say I'll do it their way, wait til they're out of sight and then do it properly instead.

Ideally I'd cut out the stealth part and just do my job properly in full sight of the boss, but eh, I do not have the stones to say "no" to someone higher up than me.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    Oufour wrote: »

Comic is great.

Also he technically didn't do anything that the cops would need to get involved with. It's not illegal to be weird.

When I was in management, the policy was to get cops involved in anything suspicious. Better to be safe than sorry.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    That is sad. These people get away with being idiots because others let them. That is all I will say on the matter.

I'm a fan of Trenches on the whole, but that story is less about the industry, and more about that one particular story teller allowing himself to be put in serious danger, because he didn't value himself enough.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Nax wrote: »
    Human's generally work in a way that they voluntarily put themselves in serious physical risk by approaching a suspicious and seemingly volatile individual?

We've already proven that, when instructed to by someone with an air of authority, humans will even go so far as to torture each other more often than not, well beyond the point where they felt obligated to stop. So, yeah, if an employee is told by their boss that they need to go outside and confront a "customer" then they're more likely than not to actually do it, regardless of how they would respond when not under pressure.

It's one thing to say "No, I wouldn't" when not under that pressure or in that situation, but when actually in it, most of humanity would cave and do it. We have good scientific evidence to back that up.
    The only person whose employment would have been on rocky footing would have been the Store Manager's. GA would have easily been given a transfer if he felt uncomfortable and would have ended up in a store with a Store Manager that would have said, "Wait, he did WHAT?"

The assumption is that the employee was interested in transferring to another Gamestop, especially considering that from the story he didn't view the other ones as much safer.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

Comic is great.

When a drooling, groaning man in pajamas chases me around a building, I call the cops.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

That is, of course, the correct reaction to being a hostage.

In truth, I didn't learn it was a robbery until much later; the robber dashed out of the store and all hell broke loose, only, to me, it looked like a guy leaving the store in a hurry, and then management is forcing me out the door and the place is being swarmed by cop cars. I had to take an employee friend out to dinner to find out what happened.

A few months after I found out what happened, I was walking along in a different GameStop and a fellow behind the counter was talking to a new hire; I overheard a brief snippet of their conversation. He was telling her what to do in the event of a robbery. Then he told her the story of the brave young man who stormed into a hostage situation, surveyed the area, and found the only acceptable recourse was to play a face melting guitar solo on a toy instrument, and refuse to leave until his song was over.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    AnatoleAnatole Registered User, ClubPA regular
    now that's a panel written by tycho if i've ever seen one

• Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    I really like the name 'Fuckworld'. It feels like what QA would actually name that thing in this situation.

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Something about her right eye in panel 1 is bothering me. The iris just looks freaking huge.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I want an MMO that takes player loot and corpses into account when it's physics engine is calculating gravity and can form a planet like fuckworld. It sounds like a thing that would be amazing to see.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I don't get why the guy would quit over it. I can understand taking the day off, but considering his boss just didn't know what to do and wasn't actively malicious... There's worse places to work. If anything, his boss got a valuable lesson out of it and he would feel so bad about it hat he'd cut the storyteller some slack for months to come.

• Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I just gotta clear this up: Panel three is definitely a Scott line. Whell, Fuckworld is, anyway.

Aurich on
  • Options
    JormungandrJormungandr Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Aldo wrote: »
    I don't get why the guy would quit over it. I can understand taking the day off, but considering his boss just didn't know what to do and wasn't actively malicious... There's worse places to work. If anything, his boss got a valuable lesson out of it and he would feel so bad about it hat he'd cut the storyteller some slack for months to come.

My interpretation was that if the boss had learned a lesson / felt bad about it, he probably would have acted differently towards the end of the story. Like maybe offering some plan to deal with the crazy person once the store opened other than essentially "Yeah, in about a half hour I'm going to just open the door and then you're going to have to deal with Batshit McCrazy all over again. Good luck."

Unless you meant that after the narrator of the story was shivved by the crazy person after the store opened, the boss would feel bad and cut him some slack, etc.

Jormungandr on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Honestly I would've threatened to quit the moment my boss told me to go outside. If there's a threatening person present, the police should be contacted. But that said, the guy should've told his boss to call the police. And before that, write a sign and hold it to the window to make sure the guy knows what you're communicating. If he doesn't budge from the door / window, inform him that not moving will pretty much ensure the police's arrival - then call them if he doesn't budge.

I dunno. There were a lot of failure points in that story, shared by the employee and manager.

• Options
    JetstreamJetstream Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Comic is great.

The weird man chased the Gamestop employee, putting him in immediate fear of bodily harm.

That is Assault. If he demanded something of the Gamestop employee, it would be Robbery. If the Gamestop employee had been harmed in any way (even incidentally) it would be Aggravated Assault or Robbery.

Jetstream on
  • Options
    OufourOufour Registered User regular
    I had assumed by "involved" we meant before he went outside. Although why he didn't call them after he was chased is a mystery.

Also Fuckworld sounded like a dumb punch-line to me at first, but the more I read it the funnier it gets.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    If only, the Internet was there to protect this young man.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Where was mall security during all of this? You would think that two people running around would attract some attention.

• Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    Strip malls are not malls. They don't have security.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    "I call it Fuckworld" is the best line in Trenches so far.