As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX EAST 2012 FAQ AND INFORMATION THREAD. (PLEASE ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    kc0mlp wrote: »
    gigabrain wrote: »
    Are any of the rest of you that are attending Hams? I'm gonna be bringing my HT with me, and wouldn't mind having a talk-in frequency for the weekend.

73 de KB1QKF

I'll be there as an enforcer and will have my HT on me if I can get a battery shipped in time!

If you cant get a battery shipped, HRO has a shop about a hour north of Boston.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • Farmer77Farmer77 Registered User new member
    edited March 2012
    I'm confused with one of the shuttle locations.

On the Pax website it lists the Hilton Doubletree as one of the shuttle locations:
    cGtzQ.png

But when I downloaded the Pax guidebook app and looked at the Doubletree shuttle schedule from there, it says to go to the Courtyard Merriott for the shuttle pick up:
    vRjPX.png

So does the shuttle stop in front of the Doubletree or not? It's not very clear to me.

Farmer77 on
  • heelsheels Registered User regular
    Farmer77 wrote: »
    I'm confused with one of the shuttle locations.

Verifying what is correct, I'll update this post when I've got it locked down.

< devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    So does the shuttle stop in front of the Doubletree or not? It's not very clear to me.

If its the same as last year, which I'm sure it is, the shuttle does not stop AT the Doubletree's doors. You need to walk across a parking lot for the YMCA next to the hotel and cross the street to the Marriott. It is not even more than a 2 minute walk.

• ZombiewskiZombiewski New JerseyRegistered User regular
    Is there a list of vendors that will be outside of the Expo Hall? For example, last year both Fantasy Flight and Z-Man, among others, were in Tabletop, but I don't think they appeared on any map.

Soul Silver FC: 0045 5822 7430, White FC: 0175 2366 9720, White 2 FC: 1636 2031 2006
    My NES blog and my Pokemon Snap tumblr.
  • zarvokzarvok Registered User regular
    Zombiewski wrote: »
    Is there a list of vendors that will be outside of the Expo Hall? For example, last year both Fantasy Flight and Z-Man, among others, were in Tabletop, but I don't think they appeared on any map.

Seconded. A map for the tabletop area would be awesome...

• Farmer77Farmer77 Registered User new member
    cocowoushi wrote: »

If its the same as last year, which I'm sure it is, the shuttle does not stop AT the Doubletree's doors. You need to walk across a parking lot for the YMCA next to the hotel and cross the street to the Marriott. It is not even more than a 2 minute walk.

icic, thank you!

• usagifaerie cosplaysusagifaerie cosplays CTRegistered User regular
    This is my first year going to PAX, and I wanted to know the rules and regulations on dress code. I'm wearing a Blood Rayne cosplay which is a little risky. I'm completely covered up, minus some cleavage and I wanted to make sure its ok so I don’t spend 3 months making these cosplays only later told I need where a t-shirt cause I'm "showing" too much.

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    This is my first year going to PAX, and I wanted to know the rules and regulations on dress code. I'm wearing a Blood Rayne cosplay which is a little risky. I'm completely covered up, minus some cleavage and I wanted to make sure its ok so I don’t spend 3 months making these cosplays only later told I need where a t-shirt cause I'm "showing" too much.

I am sure thats fine, as long as naughty bits are covered there isnt much dress code beyond that.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • septagonseptagon Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Whoops, sorry!

septagon on
  • geperrygeperry Registered User new member
    edited March 2012
    I'll be attending Pax East with 4 boys ages 13 to 15. We'll only be attending Sunday as Saturday was sold out (we're from Maine). I'm taking my son (and his friends) for his 14th birthday (which is a few days after Pax). I, myself, am not a gamer (but do enjoy scrabble, operation, jenga, battleship, chess, and other boardgames). My son plays online games (WOW, Legion, COD, etc). Any advice on what to do? I'm wondering what I'll do all day while the boys are running around. My son says I should be with them because of the M games. Any advice on what would be 'must do's' on Sunday? My son is very tech savvy, he built his own gaming computer and has fixed PC's for several people. Should we get there before the doors open? Will the boys want to stay right up until closing.......... This is our first time at PAX or any gaming expo.

geperry on
  • KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    I've brought my 14 year old stepson for the past 2 years, and in my experience, he spends most of his time either in the expo hall checking out the cool new stuff coming out, or in console and PC freeplay, playing games that he doesn't already have at home. In general, you need an ID to check out games in the freeplay areas, but they've been known to take things like cell phones for those without IDs. It is important to have well established lines of communication if you are going to be spending any time apart - make sure to set up some pre-arranged meeting time/places to make sure everyone is still doing good. Sunday closes earlier than Friday and Saturday do, so getting there earlier to maximize their time will probably make them happier (even if they're grumpy that early in the morning on a Sunday). If you (and the other associated parents) have no objection to them seeing M content, you will need to authorize that for them - I would probably recommend having them scope out the expo hall and figure out what they want to see, then setting up a time for you to go and wait with them to give parental consent. That being said, once they hit freeplay or some other engaging activity, I would recommend that you go down to the tabletop gaming area - if you enjoy boardgames, it's the place to be. You probably won't see many of the games you mentioned, but there are a LOT of very fun and easy to learn games being played there, and lots of friendly people to play them with. Some game vendors have booths there, and run teaching sessions on their games. There is a library of games that you can check out to play, and almost always people looking to play. PAX is a great experience - have fun!

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• geperrygeperry Registered User new member
    thanks Khadour.

• NeuralLinkNeuralLink Registered User regular
    You might also consider attending this panel:

http://east.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/raising-the-next-generation-of-geeks

Raising the Next Generation of Geeks
    Should you let your toddler play Skyrim? What’s the best way to introduce your child to RPGs? How do you handle it when your kid doesn’t want to play a game because he thinks he’ll lose? What do you say if your daughter says she likes “Twilight” more than “Buffy?” These questions and many more will be discussed by writers for GeekDad.com, GeekMom.com, and geek parents in the audience. Come share your stories and advice for how to ensure our kids grow up to be geeks like us! Don’t have kids? Show up and find out what may be in store for you if you ever do!

PANELISTS:
    Matt Blum [Managing Editor, GeekDad.com], Corrina Lawson [Senior Editor, GeekMom.com], Rebecca Angel [Core Contributor, GeekMom.com], Doug Cornelius [Contributor, GeekDad.com], Curtis Silver [Core Contributor, GeekDad.com], Nicole Wakelin [Core Contributor, GeekMom.com]

NAGA THEATRE
    SATURDAY 4/7 7:00PM - 8:00PM

• lucazzolucazzo Registered User regular
    Not a parent, but I have known @Khadour for a couple of years and his words are wisdom.

I highly recommend, if the kids in your care are doing their own thing and you have downtime, to check out the tabletop booths. The representatives will run sessions aimed at explaining everything about their games, and it's one of the best ways to get a great introduction into new material.

PAX East '11 Team Squirtle Group B - Professor.
    PAX East '12 Team Totodile Gold - Professor
  • EmpharaEmphara Registered User regular
    So I have a question about the Silver Line. It looks like there's a stop called "Silver Line Way after Manulife Building" (on google maps) or "Silver Line Way Station" (on the MBTA website) which is right across the road from the Renaissance (which is where we're staying). Does anyone have any idea what number stop that would be coming from South Station? Will they say "Silver Line Way Station" or something so that we know when to get off? Also, do the Silver Line buses leave South Station and certain intervals or only at specific times? I can't seem to find a list of times anywhere. Thanks in advance for any answers!

signature.png
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    Emphara wrote: »
    So I have a question about the Silver Line. It looks like there's a stop called "Silver Line Way after Manulife Building" (on google maps) or "Silver Line Way Station" (on the MBTA website) which is right across the road from the Renaissance (which is where we're staying). Does anyone have any idea what number stop that would be coming from South Station? Will they say "Silver Line Way Station" or something so that we know when to get off? Also, do the Silver Line buses leave South Station and certain intervals or only at specific times? I can't seem to find a list of times anywhere. Thanks in advance for any answers!

not sure about the details on that particular stop, but the schedule pdf here says that during certain parts of the day the SL departs at specified times, and during other parts of the day it runs at intervals of anywhere from 4 mins to 20 mins.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • EmpharaEmphara Registered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    not sure about the details on that particular stop, but the schedule pdf here says that during certain parts of the day the SL departs at specified times, and during other parts of the day it runs at intervals of anywhere from 4 mins to 20 mins.
    Thanks a lot, that's exactly what I was looking for!!

signature.png
  • jacalatajacalata Registered User regular
    She said she's only going sunday, so the panel mentioned above won't work, but there's a similar panel on Sunday (http://east.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/how-young-is-too-young-for-games)

"How Young Is Too Young for Games?"
    Cat Theatre
    Sunday April 8 2012 3:00pm
    "HEY GAMER PARENTS: Are you excited to tabletop with you kids? Do you wonder if an iPad game is better than TV for your children? Come join the discussion+ranting as an all-star cast of leading Kid Games Developers, Wizards, and Mad Scientists discuss parenting issues and opportunities around gaming and the development of games specifically for kids.
    Panelists include: Dave Schlafman [Creative Director, CloudKid], Naomi Greenfield [Director of Marketing+ Creative Strategist, FableVision], Eric Hardman [Director of Digital Marketing, Games+Preschool, Hasbro], Traci Lawson [Game Designer, Arkadium], Scott Traylor [Chief KID, 360KID], Dave McMahon [Art Director, 360KID], Scot Osterweil [Creative Director, MIT Education Arcade], Jason Wiser [Creative Director, Yaya Play]"

Are the boys going to be interested in seeing Gabe and Tycho, or attending any panels? They might enjoy seeing the closing ceremony and the last round of the attendee competition called the Omegathon - it's usually a very good show, but there'll be a line ahead of time most likely.

Agree you should spend some time checking out tabletop games- there are also usually some vendors in the Expo hall that have a few board games to play in there.

Check out my PAX schedule assistant for Windows Phone - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/pax-digital-assistant/6e56d005-983a-e011-854c-00237de2db9e. Feel free to send me feedback or requests at any time!
  • PokelolPokelol Registered User regular
    Hey guys. My friend bought a ticket and he didn't receive it in the mail, he got the envelope with the paper in it where there SHOULD be a badge but it isn't there. What do we do? please help.

Pokelol wrote: »
    Hey guys. My friend bought a ticket and he didn't receive it in the mail, he got the envelope with the paper in it where there SHOULD be a badge but it isn't there. What do we do? please help.

pretty sure that enclosed letter addresses that situation, but basically just email [email protected] as soon as possible. like right now. seriously.

7YIpfE5.png
  • mgriff3456mgriff3456 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    pretty sure that enclosed letter addresses that situation

Yup, the mailman stole it. That damn mailman I guess he really wanted to go to PAX.

mgriff3456 on
  • notacentaurnotacentaur Registered User new member
    edited March 2012
    Hey, anyone know where/when/if there'll be a Homestuck meet-up or two or three etc. this year? Just trying to figure out details!

notacentaur on
  • GrimmTrixXGrimmTrixX Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Hello all, I am planning to play in the Pac man DX, puzzle bobble, puzzle fighter and possibly doom tournaments and I was wondering if anyone has more info on them yet? Stuff like which map is pacman on, what mode for puzzle fighter, and if Doom is team or individual, stuff like that. PC had their sup forever ago but here we are, less than 6 days away, and we still have no clue. SO if anyone in charge of these reads this, when will we get info? I am on vacation all week and I wanted to get in some practice but i'd hate to practice one thing only to find out the tournament is on some other mode/map/etc.. Same goes for the handheld tournaments.

GrimmTrixX on
  • GrimmTrixXGrimmTrixX Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Last year on saturday Media people were able to go into the exhibition hall at 9am instead of 10am, is it the same day this time? I am going as media and I just wanted to know from any other Media badge people here so I don't miss out. I mean i SHOULD be there around 8 am each day anyway but just wanted to see if it was known yet.

GrimmTrixX on
  • waterbottleswaterbottles Beverage KentuckyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hey, anyone know where/when/if there'll be a Homestuck meet-up or two or three etc. this year? Just trying to figure out details!

There's one at 4 p.m. Thursday in Cambridge, MA.
    A friend and I were trying to plan another meet up during/at PAX, but unfortunately it's really hard to get schedules worked out, and I don't know of one planned yet.

Edit: There may be one 6p.m. (6:12 if peeps rather have a HS number) Saturday. I'm not sure on a location yet. Outside the Handheld Lounge. See MSPAF for more details.

waterbottles on
  • CapaneusCapaneus Registered User regular
    I've read the posted responses, but I'm still unclear on how the "League Block" tournaments work. For example, League Block A is listed as "Dominion, Carcassone, Puerto Rico, Innovation". Is it each of those things individually, or some mash-up of all of them?

• spiderz13spiderz13 Registered User regular
    I been looking around but I cannot find the World Map. I have the Expo Hall map but I am looking for the World Map in .pdf form just like it is in the Guidebook app. thank you for any help.

• xenardxenard Registered User regular
    Is there a Subway close to the Westin? Figured I can live off of $5 subs

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    xenard wrote: »
    Is there a Subway close to the Westin? Figured I can live off of $5 subs

Theres one northwest of it next to the south station red line stop.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    GrimmTrixX wrote: »
    Last year on saturday Media people were able to go into the exhibition hall at 9am instead of 10am, is it the same day this time? I am going as media and I just wanted to know from any other Media badge people here so I don't miss out. I mean i SHOULD be there around 8 am each day anyway but just wanted to see if it was known yet.

please find out from your media contact at Reed Expo.

:)

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Paul10Paul10 Registered User new member
    edited April 2012
    Hi. New to PAX. When I play games, I'm one of those people that MUST invert my controller...is that going to be an issue when playing demo's? I'm thinking Im a minority when it comes to inverting controller?

Paul10 on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    spiderz13 wrote: »
    I been looking around but I cannot find the World Map. I have the Expo Hall map but I am looking for the World Map in .pdf form just like it is in the Guidebook app. thank you for any help.

The world map is in the guidebook. That's where it is. There's a web version of the PAX East 2012 guidebook guide linked in the mobile app thread.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Paul10 wrote: »
    Hi. New to PAX. When I play games, I'm one of those people that MUST invert my controller...is that going to be an issue when playing demo's? I'm thinking Im a minority when it comes to inverting controller?

There is no way to know whether or not control schemes are changeable for a given demo until you're there. You'll have to ask at each booth if it's the kind of thing that will prevent you from standing in a line.

• ZombiewskiZombiewski New JerseyRegistered User regular
    Are there any rules regarding camera tripods? I wouldn't use it on the Expo Floor or anywhere it's super-crowded. Mostly I wanted to stand in the back of the Friday night concerts and take awesome pictures of the Protomen.

Soul Silver FC: 0045 5822 7430, White FC: 0175 2366 9720, White 2 FC: 1636 2031 2006
    My NES blog and my Pokemon Snap tumblr.
  • repeterepete Registered User regular
    Will the main theater be emptied on Saturday before the concerts as the omegathon is 30 minutes before?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Nope. That Omegathon round has always lead straight into the concerts.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Tichinde925Tichinde925 Registered User regular
    How much is parking?

Can I leave my car parked overnight for all the days? I am planning on parking there and taking a shuttle to go to the Hotel.

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Quick question about picking up your pass. I ordered a 3 day and will be bringing the paper and ID. So I'll be good. My friend ordered 3 1 day passes (Fri, Sat, Sun) and will have his papers and ID. Can he pick up all three passes on the first day?

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
    Quick question about picking up your pass. I ordered a 3 day and will be bringing the paper and ID. So I'll be good. My friend ordered 3 1 day passes (Fri, Sat, Sun) and will have his papers and ID. Can he pick up all three passes on the first day?

yup! he can even pick up on thursday if he'll be there.

7YIpfE5.png