As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CO2 laser plays "Want You Gone"

Brew78Brew78 Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Social Entropy++
Wasn't sure if this should go here or in the Games&Rigs forum, so I flipped a coin. And here you go.

So I took the line at the end of an article on Kotaku as a challenge.
Audio's not great and my crappy camera keeps having a seizure when trying to focus on things that are too close (and the minimum fixed focus is way too far away), but the gist is still there. Figured I'd post a link here since I first saw the link to Kotaku's article in The PA Report.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms6dppnFfyc

Anyway, thought some of you might think its kinda cool. Using lasers in non-standard ways and all :)

See a lot of you next weekend, I'm sure!

Brew78 on

• Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    This isn't the kind of thing that would get its own individual thread; if you find a video or bit of media related to something, it usually goes in a thread related to that content, in this case, a Portal thread, or a Valve-related thread.

Also, it might've been easier to just link to the Kotaku article, as opposed to your handcam footage of the video.

[IMG][/img]
  • Brew78Brew78 Registered User regular
    I would have posted a link to the Kotaku article, but it hasn't been posted yet.
    I was told to "look for it tomorrow", as of last night.

I guess when its official, I'll edit the post and put a link to the article instead of the video..

• Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Odds are the thread will be locked before then, so just make sure you post it in a preexisting thread.

You might also want to take at our Rules Thread really quick.

[IMG][/img]
    Believe it or not, I did. Nothing controversial or NSFW or having spoilers.. Just wanted to show off something I did.
    Would it have been better in the Art forum?

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Don't mind Romanian.

In any case, maybe you should have put it in the youtube thread (which at this point is probably named something inscrutable so it's not your fault for not noticing it), but don't worry about it.

No, it wouldn't have been.

The problem is that the OP for this thread is just a video of a CO2 laser playing a song from a video game. It's not particularly robust enough to keep a thread going for 100 pages, and there's not a lot that can be said about it, which is why it would be better off in a preexisting thread related to Portal or Valve in some way; people can comment on it, but keep talking about a larger overarching topic that can go for 100 pages.

[IMG][/img]
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Don't mind Romanian.

In any case, maybe you should have put it in the youtube thread (which at this point is probably named something inscrutable so it's not your fault for not noticing it), but don't worry about it.

Here it is.

[IMG][/img]
    Hows about instead of meta-modding

If a thread is shit or not popular enough to have people post in it, how about you just not post in it and have it continue to show up on the front page.

If a thread is shit or not popular enough to have people post in it, how about you just not post in it and have it continue to show up on the front page.

Because I'm trying to be nice and make sure the guy understands why the thread is going to get locked?

[IMG][/img]
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Nevermind that this person is the one who created the video, if I'm not mistaken, and made a laser play music. If thats not awesome enough to get a thread I don't know what is.

Falx wrote: »
    Nevermind that this person is the one who created the video, if I'm not mistaken, and made a laser play music. If thats not awesome enough to get a thread I don't know what is.

Right up there with the aerial drones that played the bond theme and those dudes that use a Faraday cage or whatever and tesla coils.

• MeizMeiz Registered User regular

But you're meta-meta moding by saying this.

Personally I don't see any problem of talking to people unless you're some sort of socially inept neckbeard that needs to make use of the wah wah system for infantile people.

• HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    Yeah SE++ has threads with OPs with some random goose that says "Ask me a question! Herp Derp!" or " Hey SE++ why are you ________?" or " I had sex! Now I'm pregnant! Post!"

Then those threads turn to something totally different after page 2. Now this thread is about meta-modding and threads I find dumb.

steam_sig.png
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Meiz wrote: »

Personally I don't see any problem of talking to people unless you're some sort of socially inept neckbeard that needs to make use of the wah wah system for infantile people.

quit it with the meta-meta-meta-modding

broken image link
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    brew if you made that, then fair fucks to ya.

FAQ on
    Meiz wrote: »

quit it with the meta-meta-meta-modding

The Mod Ouroboros.

[IMG][/img]
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    I think this laser thing is very neat. You did a good job making the laser sing a song. I liked this thread.

• MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    I suggest making lasers that sing a song before they destroy you.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Hey guy. This is a cool thing that you did. Good job!

RMED if the mods have a problem with this thread they're more than capable of saying so themselves, don't be a silly goose.

Also messing with a guy who can make lasers sing for him seems unwise.

Fearghaill wrote: »
    Hey guy. This is a cool thing that you did. Good job!

RMED if the mods have a problem with this thread they're more than capable of saying so themselves, don't be a silly goose.

Also messing with a guy who can make lasers sing for him seems unwise.

I don't see how I was acting like a silly goose, but whatever.

And those lasers don't even sing well, I don't see how they could be a thre - where is my torso?

[IMG][/img]
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    No, it wouldn't have been.

The problem is that the OP for this thread is just a video of a CO2 laser playing a song from a video game. It's not particularly robust enough to keep a thread going for 100 pages, and there's not a lot that can be said about it, which is why it would be better off in a preexisting thread related to Portal or Valve in some way; people can comment on it, but keep talking about a larger overarching topic that can go for 100 pages.

It turns out you haven't got a mod badge. You can tell this in two different ways:

1. You do not have a badge that says "moderator"
    2. The fucking sun hasn't burned out of the sky

• 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yo, this is pretty awesome. Is any way to get a better quality video?

I'm intrigued by your magicks.

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    i actually saw this when it went up on Kotaku.

are you still selling those laser-engraved plates?

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
    I guess I was wrong, I did post something controversial! In hindsight, maybe there was a little ego in the posting. But I thought it came out pretty cool and I really wanted to share! I mean, I first saw the video that inspired me to make this one on this web site. Probably should have posted it to the Art forum. Oh well.

Either way, thanks for the compliments, and to answer Marcus' question, yes, there is a way to get better quality video: I need to purchase a non-shitty camera.

I think the next version will be done with a different camera, and also with an independent microphone. The actual audio quality really doesn't come out that well due to all the background noise, including the hissing that comes from the material removal itself at the baseline energy level. There's sort of a curve where if I tune it down so that there's no etching with no audio, then the music comes out really choppy (as seen when the song first starts). If I turn the tuning up so that the laser's too high, the audio is *really* clear to the human ear, but it overloads the microphone and sounds muffled. And the autofocus suuucks at close range

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Brew78 wrote: »
    I guess I was wrong, I did post something controversial! In hindsight, maybe there was a little ego in the posting. But I thought it came out pretty cool and I really wanted to share! I mean, I first saw the video that inspired me to make this one on this web site. Probably should have posted it to the Art forum. Oh well.

general rule of internet foruming: lurk a bit before posting. each forum has its own, erm, "culture". SE++ is no different.

well, it's different, but in other ways.

same will go for the Art forum. they're actually a lot more selective about threads there, so lurk a bit, check out the current threads and see how they run. the Art forum prizes criticism and improvement. it's not a place just to show off your stuff, unless you're also looking for critiques and tips on improving.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    If you're looking at a separate mic, you're probably gonna wanna look into response patterns and sound pressure levels. And if the music thing is not something you're gonna do on the regular, there are places that rent sound equipment. But if the laser and etching stuff is something you do professionally or as a dedicated hobby, buying a good camera instead of renting one could definitely be a good investment.

Aneurhythmia on
    Ok, fair points, fightinfilipino. For the record, I'm definitely pro-critique. Nothing more useless than false praise, which leads to stagnation of improvement.

Also, if people are ok with me posting another link, the article finally went out:
    http://kotaku.com/5897792/the-battle-of-the-portal+singing-lasers-is-joined-by-two-amazing-versions-of-want-you-gone

Laser battle! He came out with a sequel too.

I give him all the credit in the world for using the laser as an actual *instrument*, with all the number punching and listenting to tones that's involved. This guy's done a great job with what amounts to a hybrid digital/analog synthesizer and sequencer. In contrast, I'm using the laser as a speaker, which can reproduce much more complex sounds and has its own series of settings that need tweaking.

Its sort of a battle between apples and oranges, if you know what I mean.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    your laser looks like it would do more damage as if used as a weapon though, that has to count for something

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Appreciate you bringing this to our attention, but Kuchera already covered it and making a new thread, especially your first, to show off your youtube, is not really how we do things here. If you want to share it in the YouTube thread or another place, that's something else.

Everyone else, if you have a problem with a thread, use the report button and leave the modding to those of us cursed to clean up after you.

8406wWN.png
This discussion has been closed.