As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the old Good Old Games thread. Fine the new Good Old Games thread. [GOG.com]

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    That's another thing GoG. DOSbox versions whenever and where ever possible. I don't give a damn what the whiners have to say. DOSbox versions are superior to the wonky early Windows shit. This is why I have not purchased the Fallout games from you.

There are very good unofficial windows patches for fallout (also allowing high resolution support). They should probably look into that.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    They can't use that stuff because they don't own it. They do link to that sort of thing on their forums though and write or link to extensive guides on setting them up.

And I've used the high res patches for Fallout and don't like them much. They break the game slightly by artificially increasing your view range, allowing you to see things that you shouldn't at those distances. I also don't like the way it makes all the assets smaller.

Drake on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I wish etoychest still posted here because that dude loved him some Wizardry. He was like TheSonicRetard of old school western rpg's.

I bought the Ultimate Wizardry Archives off of Ebay many years ago (contains 1 through 7 and the remake of 7), but for some reason haven't gotten around to playing it. I had planned to play through the later trilogy (was it 6, 7, and 8?) but never did, and I don't own a copy of 8, unfortunately.

• CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    New website redesign is up. Legend of Grimrock available for preorder for $12, Trine and The Whispered World available now for $10 and $15, respectively. There are also Darwinia, Machinarium, and SpaceChem coming soon.

Edit: Wow, they actually revamped the wishlist too!

Catshade on
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I would lose my shit for Blade Runner and System Shock 2. They need to get them on there.

Heisenberg on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    I would love to have System Shock 2 on a stable platform.

Never actually played it but constantly being told how amazing it is.

Managed to get it running on W7 once but it just crashed constantly.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Looks like half the wishlist is Lucas Games. Good luck with that...

• GSMGSM Registered User regular
    Update done, and still no publicly viewable profile wishlists.

I don't like their priorities.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    That's a really pretty cool website design. Liking that a lot.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I like it. It doesn't look much different than before, so that's good.

Was this the announcement? I didn't think we were suppose to know anything until later today?

Steam: offday
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    They need Osx support if they are going to compete with steam

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    I would love to have System Shock 2 on a stable platform.

Never actually played it but constantly being told how amazing it is.

Managed to get it running on W7 once but it just crashed constantly.

Take Bioshock. Make it sci-fi. Make gameplay decisions that are a LOT harder when speccing your character. Add in cute little lab monkeys.

"Aww, lookit the cute little monkAAAAGH KILL IT KILL IT WITH FIRE!"

• lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular

How exactly would they do that unless the games run in DosBox?

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've never played System Shock 2 either, but I've always heard it was awesome and wanted to play it.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Good news, everyone!

It would be interesting if GOG got a partnership with TransGaming like GameTap did, and released ciderized packages of their Windows games.

• The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    They can't use that stuff because they don't own it. They do link to that sort of thing on their forums though and write or link to extensive guides on setting them up.

And I've used the high res patches for Fallout and don't like them much. They break the game slightly by artificially increasing your view range, allowing you to see things that you shouldn't at those distances. I also don't like the way it makes all the assets smaller.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of Fallout hi-res patches either. They make everything a strain on your eyes to read.

Also, the revamped wishlist is interesting! Heartening to see that the two games I really want on GOG are decently high up there.

GOG doesn't own the Anachronox ex-developer patches or the fan-made patches either, but everybody says the version they're selling ships with it?

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I don't mind GoG selling new stuff, as long as they keep releasing old stuff too.
    I just love GOG too much.

And Outcast's graphics have gorgeous art design and direction, but technically they're horrible. I know voxels are cool, but the game sears my retinas.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    GSM wrote: »
    GOG doesn't own the Anachronox ex-developer patches or the fan-made patches either, but everybody says the version they're selling ships with it?

Those patches were made by the developers, with help from the community. They just did it in their spare time, for no pay because they gave a damn.

edited March 2012
    Which would mean Eidos/Enix/GOG doesn't own 'em... so if that's their policy, there's nothing keeping them from releasing games with community-made texture packs and and model swaps like the one somebody made for System Shock 2?

GSM on
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

How exactly would they do that unless the games run in DosBox?

Wine works remarkably well for a great many GOG games. At least, the ones I've tried. I believe I'76 works a bit better for me on my OS X machine than my Win 7 machine (mostly because I can limit CPU usage from the command line with wine, and I don't have to kill explorer). I even manage to get Planescape: Torment running beautifully, with fan mods.

I will admit, though, that some games (Shogo) are a mess on Wine.

TetraNitroCubane on
    edited March 2012
    GSM wrote: »
    Which would mean Eidos/Enix/GOG doesn't own 'em... so if that's their policy, there's nothing keeping them from releasing games with community-made texture packs and and model swaps like the one somebody made for System Shock 2?

Nah, if you do work on a game that belongs to a studio or publisher while you work for that studio or publisher, they own the work. It just means that they did it for free and it's unsupported, hence the Unofficial tag.

edit: And what I mean by "they did it for free" is that whoever put that work in did it without pay. The developer/publisher has every right to charge for it though. Which is what is going on with the Anachronox build you get from GoG since it's included with your purchase.

Drake on
  • Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Wrong forum, sorry.

Lord_Snot on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Machinarium now available for $9.99

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/machinarium_collectors_edition

Includes 8 Wallpapers, 8 avatars, the Soundtrack, 22 art pieces, 114 design sketches, and behind the scenes materials.

• CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    7 Activision games on sale for $2.99 each this weekend; includes Arcanum, Caesar 3, VtM: Redemption, and the Zork games.

edited March 2012
    Catshade wrote: »
    7 Activision games on sale for $2.99 each this weekend; includes Arcanum, Caesar 3, VtM: Redemption, and the Zork games.

Last week was better. Arcanum is worth it, but I already have that from another sale.

And can I just say I'm usually not bothered by graphics at all, but I seriously hate the way that Return to Zork looks. What's that called? FMV? I hate that.

anoffday on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Yes, that's FMV.

Yeah. I hate FMV. It just looks so cheesy. It's the only graphics style that I don't like. If it's even considered a graphics style? I just can't believe that someone back then said, "Hey, so people always want better graphics and it keeps getting better, so let's raise the bar. Let's use real people in our video games!"

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    FMV was amazing when it first came out.

But why? It's video inside of a video game. It's just always looked awkward to me. It looks like someone put a B rated movie in my video game.

You just have to think of it in relative terms. Even today, games are chasing photo-realism, and that was still a thing back then when the CD-ROM came out. You went from poorly rendered 3D to live people, and it was quite impressive for the time. Then every game became a B Movie and people got tired of it. Some games did it right, though, like the Wing Commander series.

• C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    C2B on
  • ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    You just have to think of it in relative terms. Even today, games are chasing photo-realism, and that was still a thing back then when the CD-ROM came out. You went from poorly rendered 3D to live people, and it was quite impressive for the time. Then every game became a B Movie and people got tired of it. Some games did it right, though, like the Wing Commander series.

I would also add that while now shrug inducing, playing a "movie" of any kind on your computer/console back then seemed incredibly cool. FMVs were a neat efficient way to convey a lot of emotion in a story and provide context to a player's actions. Trying to do the same with sprites or primitive 3D wasn't possible. As Carcass points out they got tiresome when they stopped being an addition to the game and became the game itself.

And if you think about it FMVs never really went away. Technology just caught up enough to use fully CGI characters instead of bad D-list movie actors. They just got renamed "cut scenes" or "non-interactive scenes." Just look at MGS2 and it's (seemingly endless) cut scenes. Story wise they're not much "better" than anything back then. They just use CGI where before it was live actors on a set.

• CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Ugh, I JUST bought Arcanum like 3 days ago.

Guess I'll snag Vampire.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    anoffday wrote: »
    But why? It's video inside of a video game. It's just always looked awkward to me. It looks like someone put a B rated movie in my video game.
    Because, when the alternative is claymation early CG, seeing a person that looks like a person was pretty amazing.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4YnvPetZ1E#t=2m36s

Think Reboot. That's what most game CG at the time looked like. Maybe some people's nostalgia goggles are thick enough to consider it retro or stylish, but I've always found it lame at best. FMV is guilty of bad games and, more often than not, cheesy acting, but it could be very effective if used right.

[edit] Oh, fuck off forum for trying to be smart. Until you're smart enough to take time codes into account your auto-embed can fuck right off.

Glal on
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    DoTEMU has a sale on too, including Soulbringer that was just released on GoG. Anyone played that yet?

Apostate wrote: »

I would also add that while now shrug inducing, playing a "movie" of any kind on your computer/console back then seemed incredibly cool. FMVs were a neat efficient way to convey a lot of emotion in a story and provide context to a player's actions. Trying to do the same with sprites or primitive 3D wasn't possible. As Carcass points out they got tiresome when they stopped being an addition to the game and became the game itself.

And if you think about it FMVs never really went away. Technology just caught up enough to use fully CGI characters instead of bad D-list movie actors. They just got renamed "cut scenes" or "non-interactive scenes." Just look at MGS2 and it's (seemingly endless) cut scenes. Story wise they're not much "better" than anything back then. They just use CGI where before it was live actors on a set.

Or even games where they scan the faces of the voice actors and/or the actors provide motion capture as well. It's FMV without the V.

It is funny, though, how much hype was built around FMV at the time and how it was labeled the future of video games.

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    anoffday wrote: »
    Because, when the alternative is claymation early CG, seeing a person that looks like a person was pretty amazing.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4YnvPetZ1E#t=2m36s

Think Reboot. That's what most game CG at the time looked like. Maybe some people's nostalgia goggles are thick enough to consider it retro or stylish, but I've always found it lame at best. FMV is guilty of bad games and, more often than not, cheesy acting, but it could be very effective if used right.

[edit] Oh, fuck off forum for trying to be smart. Until you're smart enough to take time codes into account your auto-embed can fuck right off.

it's just as easy to say your nostalgia goggles are thick enough that FMV is retro or stylish

JKKaAGp.png
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Oh man, I never beat VTM:R because it always crashed when I reached the modern age. Get!

Also I've heard Arcanum is pretty excellent. Thoughts?

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal