As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    @Arthil

Yeah, the mass thing is all about diet. But, from my experience, you really have to understand our own metabolism and 'body type.' I'm about to just give in to the fact that I'm a lean type of guy.

And, with company like Snipes, Crews and Lee, I can deal with that. Big guys, who have trouble dropping weight and size, get to hang with the powerlifters and full-on builders.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    @Arthil

Yeah, the mass thing is all about diet. But, from my experience, you really have to understand our own metabolism and 'body type.' I'm about to just give in to the fact that I'm a lean type of guy.

And, with company like Snipes, Crews and Lee, I can deal with that. Big guys, who have trouble dropping weight and size, get to hang with the powerlifters and full-on builders.

Couldn't say which one I am, but I shaved 7 pounds off my first week, and since I weighed myself earlier this week I've already gone down 4. Not like I'm not eating either, the amount of what I eat hasn't changed much. It's just I'm having more chicken, turkey, and fish.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Losing weight is more about what you don't eat than what you do

• Options
    RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    Well if a rack+bench combo would in fact work out better I need to make sure the bench can hold my weight. And being able to put it at an incline is what I believe I need to do for seated overhead presses. Unless I can do them without resting my back against something?

Edit: Said weight is 364 lbs by the way, that's why I've been looking specifically at full on weight benches. Plain old benches don't seem to have the weight capacity unless they're in the $150+ range.

If I understand you correctly the only reason you're doing seated overhead press is due to you having limited ceiling clearance for standing press right? My question then, is if you'd had unlimited ceiling height, would you have found a wall to lean against while you were doing standing overhead press? My hunch is that you would not.

You don't need to lean against anything doing a seated overhead press, in fact that would be a little counter productive seeing as having something to lean against reduces the need for your core to remain tight.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I realise this isn't necessarily the place for bragging, and I comparison to you guys this isn't really much to brag about, but...

Deadlift 8x225
    bench 8x165

These are my "max," at the end of three sets. And this is after two months. I'm a kinda stringy guy, at 6' 196lbs.

And I don't seem to be able to put on mass AT ALL.

But I thank this thread for all my progress.

Man this is totally the place to brag, brag away. If I do something I'm proud of I brag like I did something.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I realise this isn't necessarily the place for bragging, and I comparison to you guys this isn't really much to brag about, but...

Deadlift 8x225
    bench 8x165

These are my "max," at the end of three sets. And this is after two months. I'm a kinda stringy guy, at 6' 196lbs.

And I don't seem to be able to put on mass AT ALL.

But I thank this thread for all my progress.

ain't nobody in here gonna rag on you for numbers, brag away my friend

and good work. high reps of deadlift work ain't nothing to sneeze at

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    @Peen beat me to it, shows what i know for not reading all posts before posting

but then again who got 12 hours of sleep and then ate half a rotiserrie chicken from the grocery store??

<-- this guy

HEAVY DEADLIFTS WOOOOO

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    So...I was a little hasty when I said that high rep sets make me feel great, compared to low rep/heavy weight sets.

My entire body is sore and in pain. My back is still sore from two days ago and now my arms are killing me from yesterday's bicep/tricep workout.

• Options
    @Peen beat me to it, shows what i know for not reading all posts before posting

but then again who got 12 hours of sleep and then ate half a rotiserrie chicken from the grocery store??

<-- this guy

HEAVY DEADLIFTS WOOOOO

Have fun pal, I've had my best deadlift days after a night of luxurious sleep. Nothing feels better than reaching down for the bar and having it explode off of the floor and realizing that this is going to be a good day for deadlifting.

• Options
    i am hoping that yes, that is the case

got 4x5x408 today...probably bump that up to 415

last week was murder, but that was coming off an alcohol fueled sleep

• Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Time for testing then. I just had a super shitty sleep but I did also have lots of chicken. We will test how good deadlift day is.

Just ploughing through chicken in the kitchen.

"Jake, what are you doing?"

"Empirical testing. Eliminating variables"

• Options
    MogsMogs Registered User regular
    Okay weightlifting thread, I've lurked here for long enough, I'm finally diving in. Recently decided to change the weight training I was doing with a personal trainer to heavy, compound lifts (my trainer is a powerlifter, himself). After two weeks of this, I can easily say I'm hooked (my husband thinks I'm crazy).

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    He's the crazy one.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    Mogs wrote: »
    Okay weightlifting thread, I've lurked here for long enough, I'm finally diving in. Recently decided to change the weight training I was doing with a personal trainer to heavy, compound lifts (my trainer is a powerlifter, himself). After two weeks of this, I can easily say I'm hooked (my husband thinks I'm crazy).

Just because it's interesting, are you a lady? Because powerlifting ladies are pretty much the best.

Either way congratulations and welcome aboard, lifting weights is a good thing.

• Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Man I love Friday Afternoons. All the people I hate that go to the gym never show up on Friday. They will be out drinking Margaritas or something talking about what they would do if they win the lottery tonight. And I will be in the Gym power cleaning away, with a smile on my face.

TGIF everybody

• Options
    Friday is hella busy at my gym and the weight area is already pretty small. Gotta work in wherever you can.

• Options
    I need to cut out the rest of the crap I still eat and get onto a proper lean diet. I want to get rid of this belly!

We've a meat wholesalers next door to us and you can get 40 fillets for €30 which is pretty good.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    Just because it's interesting, are you a lady? Because powerlifting ladies are pretty much the best.

I am, and thanks! I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences here.

• Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular

just make sure you don't share them with Slider, he's a creep.

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    Having my gym membership lapse and then not going for two weeks sucked but I felt I did good this week. I lifted heavier things and hopefully next week will be better progress.

• Options
    What will work my traps?

• Options
    Deadlifts, barbell shrugs, dumbbell shrugs. Shrug big, get yoked. Yoke up son.

• Options
    Ah so that's what people work when they do those shrugs. I've only deadlifted once. My current back workout is bent over rows and seated rows and some lat pulldowns.

• Options
    BEAST! wrote: »

just make sure you don't share them with Slider, he's a creep.

I'll try to keep that in mind. :P

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Keep working on your traps until it looks like someone shoved some footballs in there.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    shitty day just felt pretty sluggish. kinda surprised. training partner suggested i should've had more carbs, i agree, could've had more. shoulda ate more.

oh well next time!

4x6x265 on squats, 3x5x415 on deadlifts...didn't finish the last set because my back was acting wonky
    then did some leg lifts, supinated lat pulldowns, and reverse hypers

the gym was incredibly fucking hot and humid today

also weighed 252 today, even after sweating my ass off!

i weighed 242 back in january

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Buddies wrote: »
    Man I love Friday Afternoons. All the people I hate that go to the gym never show up on Friday. They will be out drinking Margaritas or something talking about what they would do if they win the lottery tonight. And I will be in the Gym power cleaning away, with a smile on my face.

TGIF everybody

Kind of the opposite for me, it's the GTL guidos that come in during the afternoon so everything is taken for the wrong reasons.

Also someone mentioned trap work? I started doing power shrugs they are legit

ninzorjons on
    "Be excellent to each other."
  • Options
    Well if a rack+bench combo would in fact work out better I need to make sure the bench can hold my weight. And being able to put it at an incline is what I believe I need to do for seated overhead presses. Unless I can do them without resting my back against something?

Edit: Said weight is 364 lbs by the way, that's why I've been looking specifically at full on weight benches. Plain old benches don't seem to have the weight capacity unless they're in the $150+ range.

If I understand you correctly the only reason you're doing seated overhead press is due to you having limited ceiling clearance for standing press right? My question then, is if you'd had unlimited ceiling height, would you have found a wall to lean against while you were doing standing overhead press? My hunch is that you would not.

You don't need to lean against anything doing a seated overhead press, in fact that would be a little counter productive seeing as having something to lean against reduces the need for your core to remain tight.

*Deletes the video he'd found to demonstrate a seated overhead press* Well fuck. Anyway! Decided to forgo my lift today, even if my shoulder feels "fine" I'd rather not take the risk. Wondering if I should do something extra next week to make up for it, some bodyweight exercises maybe or just a bit of cardio. I know exactly what caused the problem though, and until I decide whether to get the bench or find a gym I might need to do dumbbell equivalents to avoid hurting my shoulder again.

Sucks when you can't even do a floor press properly without picking the bar up in a fucked up way =/.

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular

Make sure you pic up some microplates, or make your own! You will need to load your press and bench with less than 5 lb increments, and your squats will need it not too far in the future. For reference, I train with a ladyfriend of mine, and she was weak as sin when we started, couldn't squat bar. We began microloading at 75x5x3. Bench and press began with 2.5lb increments immediately.

• Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Australian raw nationals are live streaming: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/raw-nationals

• Options
    Methuselah wrote: »

Make sure you pic up some microplates, or make your own! You will need to load your press and bench with less than 5 lb increments, and your squats will need it not too far in the future. For reference, I train with a ladyfriend of mine, and she was weak as sin when we started, couldn't squat bar. We began microloading at 75x5x3. Bench and press began with 2.5lb increments immediately.

Right now I'm doing sets of 8, 5, 3, 1 (3 times), and 8 again, moving up 10lbs each time. My "1's" as of this past week were 125 (squat, could be doing more, but I started at a certain weight, and we're moving up 5lbs each week), 155 (deadlift), and 95 (bench).

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I'm curious about something guys, is there a barbell or dumbbell lift that I can use in place of a floor press and seated overhead press until I have access of any kind to a bench? I don't want to be doing that very awkward motion to get the bar in place for the floor press, and for the seated OHP I lift the bar up, sit down and rest it in my lap before positioning it.

As you can tell, not exactly good form.

Arthil on
  • Options
    chidonachidona Registered User regular
    Hey guys, I'm going to start gymming it up soon with the routine:

Squat or leg press 2 x 12-15
    Lat pulldown 2 x 12-15
    Standing overhead shoulder press 2 x 12-15
    One-arm dumbbell row 2 x 12-15
    Bench press 2 x 12-15
    Calf raise 1 x 15
    Ab crunches or Swiss ball crunches 2 x 12-15

I want to know what sort of warm up I would need to do for that rotation? I've never been to a gym before, is there usually a room for warm up stuff, or am I going to have to do it on a random floor space?

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Random floorspace is fine, so long as it's not somewhere really awkward. Usually there'll be an open space for it.

People won't flay you alive for being new

if they do they probably have bad diarrhea and stupid eyebrows

• Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    I usually just warm-up by doing whatever lift I'm doing but with lighter weight.

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options

Right now I'm doing sets of 8, 5, 3, 1 (3 times), and 8 again, moving up 10lbs each time. My "1's" as of this past week were 125 (squat, could be doing more, but I started at a certain weight, and we're moving up 5lbs each week), 155 (deadlift), and 95 (bench).

I'll preface this with this isn't meant to be condescending at all but those are pretty good 1RMs if you're just starting out. I know you said you were doing some kind of weight training before with a personal trainer but still. Nice work.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    (Box) Squat PR this afternoon, 120kg for 3x5 without much of a hitch, bit dizzy after the last one mind.

• Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    I'm curious about something guys, is there a barbell or dumbbell lift that I can use in place of a floor press and seated overhead press until I have access of any kind to a bench? I don't want to be doing that very awkward motion to get the bar in place for the floor press, and for the seated OHP I lift the bar up, sit down and rest it in my lap before positioning it.

As you can tell, not exactly good form.

I've been using parts of this - http://www.reddit.com/help/faqs/Fitness
    which contains a link to this http://www.exrx.net/Lists/WtMale.html (NSFW? I don't know, it's an anatomical model...) which is a nice map for exercises for specific muscles and groups

• Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    I decided to switch up from machine to free-weight on a couple of my lifts.... felt good, but definitely was humbling.

• Options

I'll preface this with this isn't meant to be condescending at all but those are pretty good 1RMs if you're just starting out. I know you said you were doing some kind of weight training before with a personal trainer but still. Nice work.

It's not condescending - I've got to start somewhere. Squats feel really good, deadlifts are harder form-wise (I just need to get over the fact that I'm going to scrape my shins/knees a bit), bench is the only thing where I'm feeling limited in my strength at this point.

This discussion has been closed.