As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] Who's bringing their 3DS (or other handheld device) and what games?

• GrimRupertGrimRupert Registered User regular
    I fiddled with the settings, but found nothing that was helpful.

Oddly enough, I found that if I was sitting back comfortably on my couch and held my 3DS on my big ol' belly, and then had my right hand also resting on my belly, hand cramps weren't a real problem.

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    [X] - Pre-registered | [ ] - Train tickets | [ ] - Time Off
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Tryfan wrote: »
    Definitely spreading Kid Icarus GemAIDs around at PAX. Not sure if I want to bring White or Mario 3D with me, though, since I won't have much time for Pokemon battles since I'll only be there on Saturday and the Street Pass bonuses in Mario are pretty negligible.

That Nyko battery is compatible with the standard 3DS charge cable, right? Thinking about picking one up so my 3DS will last all day.

Yes it is. It's effectively a battery replacement. It also makes Kid Icarus a little easier to play because it makes the 3DS a little thicker.

Yup, found this out myself when I picked it up today at Best Buy. I actually like the added weight, and it's easier on my big hands.

Still fits on the stand, too. Heh.

• 3ricG3ricG New Jersey/PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    I just bought a 3ds yesterday :D

I'll be bringing MK7, Mario Kart DS, and Pokemon Black (but I'll probably be restarting my Pokemon save on the train ride up).

Is wireless multiplayer backwards compatible for original DS games; from 3ds to DS?

How exactly does street pass work? Since I got my 3DS yesterday, I'm not sure how to use it yet :P

rd4rhJL.png
  • GrimRupertGrimRupert Registered User regular
    I believe you basically go into StreetPass and go through the menus to activate it, and in any game with StreetPass you basically got to grant it permission. Then, just leave the system on in your pocket (with wireless turned on?) and walk around.

Now that I think about it, it was all so long ago that it's just kind of there for me now, and it happens on its own, like a little tiny wizard in the game system.

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    [X] - Pre-registered | [ ] - Train tickets | [ ] - Time Off
  • aikoeaikoe Registered User regular
    The boyfriend and I are bringing our own DS Lites and our shared 3DS. We honestly have a pretty serious lack of multiplayer games. So, uh... does anyone want to play Elite Beat Agents? >>;

PAX East 2014: 3-Day Pass [X] | Hotel Room [X] | Transportation [X] | Time Off [X] | Costume [ ]
    NEED TWO ROOMS IN THE WESTIN ON THURSDAY NIGHT! Please PM me!
  • gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    I had no idea that EBA had multiplayer mode! It's been ages since I've played, but I'm definitely bringing it now. If you want to pick up some great multiplayer games, Metroid Prime Hunters is $15 at gamestop (used, it don't think you can get new copies anymore). Fun multiplayer. Also, you can't go wrong with MarioKartDS. It looks like everyone it bringing it, but it's pricier.

• DJDrake13DJDrake13 Registered User new member
    edited March 2012

DJDrake13 on
  • DJDrake13DJDrake13 Registered User new member
    UnnDunn wrote: »
    I guess I'll be one of like three people with a PS Vita?

I'll be #4.. what games you got?

• ShiosShios Poopfeast420 Orlando, FLRegistered User regular
    I'll have my 3DS with Mario Kart 7 :)

• Brew78Brew78 Registered User regular
    I'll be bringing a 3DS and DQ9 for sure. Probably leave it on tag mode for people, even though I got way more than enough last year to unlock the inn.
    Will also bring StarFox and Mario Kart DS (don't have the 3DS version yet, but might buy it this week).
    I also have all the Ambassador Program games, so although not necessarily WiFi multiplayer, will still be multiplayer as far as handing off goes.
    Would be entertaining to pick up some new faces for that preinstalled game too. :)

Oh, Tetris too, of course. The original one for the DS as well as the Tetris Party that I think was from GBA.

• JTailsJTails OHIORegistered User regular
    Just got Kid Icarus, pick it up before next weekend if you can, singleplay and multiplayer...so much to do....so much to collect....so good.
    I'll also have MK7 and Pokemon Black; I'm probably just going to stick with those, 3DS battery life is the only thing that worries me.

• geozeldadudegeozeldadude boston MARegistered User new member
    edited March 2012
    i'm actually looking for people who want to play fairly less obvious DS and GBA games. anyone want to schedule a meetup for EBA, metroid prime pinball, custom robo arena, polarium, etc.? i also have GB games i want to play multiplayer with but i only have a GBC and i don't have a link cable. examples would be qix, the original tetris and tetris attack, revenge of the 'gator, balloon kid, etc. message me or email me if interested at c258swq02@gmail.com.

geozeldadude on
  • cypherbluecypherblue Registered User regular
    Does Handheld have a hashtag or something for people looking to find other people to play games with? For example, tabletop has #ttlfg

What's the best way to meet new people interested in the same game as you?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    cypherblue wrote: »
    Does Handheld have a hashtag or something for people looking to find other people to play games with? For example, tabletop has #ttlfg

What's the best way to meet new people interested in the same game as you?

How about #paxHH ?

I'll put it in the twitter thread.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Joset305Joset305 Registered User regular
    I'm bringing my vita with these game : unit 13 wipeout 2048 uncharted golden abyss MLB 12 the show ultimate MvC 3 little deviant also bringing my 3ds with MK7 and street fighter with a host of Ds games

• rileyperrileyper Registered User regular
    my vita with little deviants and modnation racers
    my 3ds with mariokart 7 and mariokart ds

Pax Prime 2014 checklist: Accommodations[x] Travel [x] Time Off [x] BYOC [not attending :(]
    Pax South 2015 checklist: Accommodations[x] Travel [x] Time Off [ ] BYOC [x]
    Pax East 2015 checklist: Accommodations[ ] Travel [ ] Time Off [ ] BYOC [ ]
    fss.png
  • cypherbluecypherblue Registered User regular
    i'm actually looking for people who want to play fairly less obvious DS and GBA games. anyone want to schedule a meetup for EBA, metroid prime pinball, custom robo arena, polarium, etc.? i also have GB games i want to play multiplayer with but i only have a GBC and i don't have a link cable. examples would be qix, the original tetris and tetris attack, revenge of the 'gator, balloon kid, etc. message me or email me if interested at c258swq02@gmail.com.

I am always interested in obscure and overlooked games. I don't have the cartridges you mentioned but I do have the console hardware so if you can play multiplayer using one game, let me know, I'm up for it.

Speaking of overlooked stuff, I have a ton of DSiware I would love to find people to play with. Number Battle anyone?

• TemigTemig East [E] North Shore - MARegistered User regular
    I caved last week and got a 3DS @ Target because they were on sale and I had a couple of gift cards (plus they had a buy 2, get 1 game free deal.... and Best Buy which was right next door had Kid Icarus on sale for $29.99)
    Soooo glad I did. KI is a ton of fun, even if the controls are a pain as a lefty..., MK7 is fun, and RE:Revalations is great as well. Still have Mario to try out (it's Mario, I had to get it), and I ended up picking up Zelda from Amazon to relive some memories. Really impressed with the 3d performance so far, though I find I have to turn it off for things like playing Kid Icarus multiplayer because it gets intense enough that between my hands and head moving, the image gets too distorted.

Long story short: I'm now looking forward to some lines ;)

JQ1qRPt.png
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    Temig wrote: »
    I caved last week and got a 3DS @ Target because they were on sale and I had a couple of gift cards (plus they had a buy 2, get 1 game free deal.... and Best Buy which was right next door had Kid Icarus on sale for $29.99)
    Soooo glad I did. KI is a ton of fun, even if the controls are a pain as a lefty..., MK7 is fun, and RE:Revalations is great as well. Still have Mario to try out (it's Mario, I had to get it), and I ended up picking up Zelda from Amazon to relive some memories. Really impressed with the 3d performance so far, though I find I have to turn it off for things like playing Kid Icarus multiplayer because it gets intense enough that between my hands and head moving, the image gets too distorted.

Long story short: I'm now looking forward to some lines ;)

Welcome to the club :) I cave in the same way you did a few weeks ago and now my fiancé got her own as well. I can't wait to see my StreePass notifications go bezerk.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • BigDumbHippyBigDumbHippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'll have my 3ds and Vita. BRING YOUR POKEMANS! Challenge the Pax Pokemon League!

i'll also have starfox and tetris axis

BigDumbHippy on
  • henry.hargrovehenry.hargrove Registered User regular
    King of Mars, Tryfan, and MrBeeb, added you guys to my 3DS.

And yeah, those KI hand cramps definitely do smart after an hour. I'm pretty happy with my 3DS; even happier I got it specifically for PAX. There is a "pictochat" called swapnote that you get from the E-store. I've had poor success with it but mostly because I am the most active user I know so far... time will tell!

T-3 days :D

FC: 4081-6292-7068

• InuFayeInuFaye Registered User regular
    Bringing my 3DS with Pokemon Black, Kid Icarus, Dead or Alive Dimensions, and Resident Evil:Revelations.
    Bringing my Vita with Lumines, Uncharted, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom.

• arcadegamerarcadegamer longtime gamer and cartoon/anime watcher Westport ,MARegistered User regular
    Chorazin wrote: »
    I'm planning on bringing my 3DS with Pokemon Black and Pearl, Mario Kart 7, The World Ends With You, Zelda OoT 3D, Four Swords 3DS, and Super Mario 3D Land. I agree with what's being said above, Streetpass at PAX is going to be rather ridiculous.

On a side note, anyone have an estimate how long they can usually get their 3DS batteries to last? I know my DS Lite performed like a champ last year, but alas, I traded it in. Is it worth picking up one of those battery extenders?

Probably 4 hours max with wifi and 3D on. I recommend anyone with a 3DS get the e7xUytjf+, it near doubles the battery life and IMO it makes the system more comfortable to hold. I've had mine on since I got my 3DS and the thing works like a champ!
    that i was thinking
    Chorazin wrote: »
    I'm planning on bringing my 3DS with Pokemon Black and Pearl, Mario Kart 7, The World Ends With You, Zelda OoT 3D, Four Swords 3DS, and Super Mario 3D Land. I agree with what's being said above, Streetpass at PAX is going to be rather ridiculous.

On a side note, anyone have an estimate how long they can usually get their 3DS batteries to last? I know my DS Lite performed like a champ last year, but alas, I traded it in. Is it worth picking up one of those battery extenders?

Probably 4 hours max with wifi and 3D on. I recommend anyone with a 3DS get the Nyko PowerPak+, it near doubles the battery life and IMO it makes the system more comfortable to hold. I've had mine on since I got my 3DS and the thing works like a champ!
    i think that same thing and almost bought one this weekend but wait now i will and btw i will be bringing SSFIV:3D, maybe doa , starfox 64 3d maybe kid icarus not sure how i play it thought

SSFIV:3D

• Tap Master CTap Master C Registered User regular
    I finally decided to stump for a PowerPak+ last week for PAX and I am amazed at how much longer my battery life is. Now I don't have to worry about the battery dying from all the StreetPasses I'll be making. That said, I'm still probably going to bring my original battery, AC adapter and power strip to share electrics just cause I'm paranoid, haha.

As a refresher, I'm bringing MK7, DOA:D, SSFIV:3D, Pokemon:RB, and Samurai Warriors: Chronicles.

PAX East 2013 Omeganaut

Hmm... I seem to have misplaced my signature...
  • VictoryofthepplVictoryoftheppl Community Outreach Coordinator @ Gamers Outreach Registered User regular
    i will be bringing my ipad. They have dungeon defenders for iPad? O_O *purchases*

MEfw2yy.png

Team [E] <3
    Ok, I bought MK7 today. Should probably practice a bit..

The DS made line waiting a lot easier last year!

• handmanhandman Registered User new member
    i will be bringing my ipad. They have dungeon defenders for iPad? O_O *purchases*

Is it multiplayer, I bought it a while back to play on a plane trip and haven't touched it since

• FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    Man I feel bad for not playing more Pokemon before PAX East. I got a good deal ahead in the game but I have yet to level up any creatures beyond 40. BUT, we have had a good deal of practice with MarioKart 7

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    OK. I bought the NYKO power pak. So, I don't need to plug in my actual 3ds, just lay it on the charger for the battery pack and it will charge everything?

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    OK. I bought the NYKO power pak. So, I don't need to plug in my actual 3ds, just lay it on the charger for the battery pack and it will charge everything?
    You still need to plug in the 3DS. The port is on the machine, not the battery pack. You don't have to use the charge if you don't want either, but just looks cool 8-)

You still need to plug in the 3DS. The port is on the machine, not the battery pack. You don't have to use the charge if you don't want either, but just looks cool 8-)

So, I have to charge the battery pack and ALSO the actual 3ds? Dumbbbbb. So I need two 3DS chargers? to do it at the same time?

bYf6vNQ.png
    So, I have to charge the battery pack and ALSO the actual 3ds? Dumbbbbb. So I need two 3DS chargers? to do it at the same time?
    Ah, sorry I thought you meant plug in the battery pack by itself (I was thinking that you somehow got a battery that had it's own AC plug-in.) No, you'll only plug in the 3DS with the battery pack attached. One 3DS, one Nyko battery pack, one ac adapter.

edited April 2012
    Yea, gotcha. That makes me happy. Haha.

Does the green light change at all or does it just stay green when fully charged? The instructions didn't tell much about the device.

edit: Just holding it in my hand makes me happy. I love the extra weight/size.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    It should be red while it's charging, then green when finished. Sometimes you have to take the 3DS out of the cradle and put it back in to get the light to change (from green to red when attempting to charge, or red to green if you think it's been charging long enough.) Also, be forewarned that it takes a minute or two after you turn on your 3DS for the system to recognize the charge amount in the nyko battery pak.

It should be red while it's charging, then green when finished. Sometimes you have to take the 3DS out of the cradle and put it back in to get the light to change (from green to red when attempting to charge, or red to green if you think it's been charging long enough.) Also, be forewarned that it takes a minute or two after you turn on your 3DS for the system to recognize the charge amount in the nyko battery pak.

This is true. In fact, this morning it was still showing red, which I thought was odd, so I re-seated it and after a moment it showed green.

Side note, the most important mod I made to the nyko cradle is a strip of black electrical tape on each side of the green/red light strip so that only a small rectangle was showing in the center. This way, I can still see the charge status but the device no longer acts as a nightlight. Good lord, that thing's bright!

On the topic of MarioKart 7, I notice it has a community/group option... has anyone set one up for PAX East? Or are people just planning on going to the StreetPass Network panel and building a list there?

• blackeyedblackeyed Registered User new member
    I am going to bring my 3DS with RE-REVELATION
    guess not many people have this game.

But we can still street-pass each other.

My ID is blackeyed ^^

Ooooh. An mk7 group sounds like a good idea, but it has to use wifi though right? Wifi can be bleh in large conventions.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • GrimmTrixXGrimmTrixX Registered User regular
    ok so how does street pass work? I understand keeping my 3DS in standby mode BUT do I need to have a certain game in? So lets say I have Super Mario Land 3d in and on standby, do I only get stuff from others who have that specific game in standby? I am bringing DOA dimensions, starfox 3ds, mario land 3d, RE: revelations, and a few others. So would i have to change the game and standby that specific game once in a while for best results? Or does it go by the fact i have data for, lets say DOA, on there but not necessarily have the game in there? I never actually used the thing cuz im never anywhere where thesres tons of 3DSs. lol

• creid8creid8 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Once you've set up StreetPass inside each game's main menu you don't have to keep that game in your 3DS. Once you've 'tagged' a few people though, you'll want to pop the game in so you can collect your rewards, and start getting more tags. The number of tags you can store varies per game.

creid8 on