As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Community: Season 4 Premiere February 7, Old Timeslot

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    This is going to make for some uncomfortable third season commentaries.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Chevy Chase has always been hard to work with. Nobody even wanted to show up to roast him in his '02 comedy central roast. Having heard Dan Harmon on The Indoor Kids podcast just chilling and shooting the shit about playing too much Skyrim, I tend to think he's fairly laid back and Chase probably asked hard for any bad treatment he got.

Honestly, I don't think Community would miss a beat without him. He has some funny scenes to be certain, but I think they'd be fine without him for sure.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    If chase is kicked off I'm not sure that's actually a huge loss. Pierce is my least favorite character and he usually doesn't contribute too much.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    This isn't all that surprising; that panel a couple weeks ago had the whole cast throwing thinly veiled insults at Chevy, and that wrap party story, if even remotely true? Holy shit that's a terrible thing to do to someone. D:

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The whole wrap party thing sounds grossly unprofessional. If I was Chevy, I would not bother with them. Heck, I would get out the lawyers. The way things are with the story, however, does put the Pierce character on a downward spiral. So, the plan might have been for him to exit anyway.

Still, this might be a publicity stunt. Also, putting the voice mail out in the media is highly tacky. My respect for the shows creators has taken a huge nosedive.

I'll have to see if the internet is ripping Dan a new one.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Chevy Chase has always been hard to work with. Nobody even wanted to show up to roast him in his '02 comedy central roast. Having heard Dan Harmon on The Indoor Kids podcast just chilling and shooting the shit about playing too much Skyrim, I tend to think he's fairly laid back and Chase probably asked hard for any bad treatment he got.

Honestly, I don't think Community would miss a beat without him. He has some funny scenes to be certain, but I think they'd be fine without him for sure.

Giving a "Fuck You" speech in front of that persons family is a horrible thing to do regardless of how hard Chewy is to work with. It's inexcusable.

C2B on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Yeah that story makes Dan Harmon look like a huge dick.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Calling it a speech might be inaccurate since the term implies formality and preparation, like Harmon was cursing Chase out from behind a podium and while reading off of a TelePrompTer.

Also, the mentioning of Chase's family being there makes it sound like a deliberate attempt to humiliate Chase in front of his family, which might not have been the case.

The way I see it, Chevy fucked everyone over on the last day of filming and probably forced them to do a hasty rewrite in the process. Then Chase had the gall to show up at the wrap party, even though he'd screwed up the very thing that the crew was celebrating.

Now assuming Harmon didn't plan his diatribe in advance, I expect that he was just really pissed to see Chase there and, without even thinking of Chase's family, decided to just let Chase have it and vent all the frustration from the finale and everything that may've happened prior.

Totally unprofessional, but not unthinkable given how much love Harmon puts into the show and how stressful things can be at the end of production. If you listen to the commentary for S2's finale, you'll know that the cast and crew were operating entirely without sleep. Couple that with anxieties about cancellation, and you have a recipe for this kind of blowout.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Guys, you're thinking about this all wrong. If Chase gets booted between seasons 3 and 4, that means season 4 they can replace him with a different actor in the same part as Pierce and none of the cast acts like it happened, a la Aunt Viv in Fresh Prince. It gives them a built-in trope to work with.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    Not much Pierce has done makes me care if Chase sticks around or not. The hospital episode where he's just fucking with people was really good. I loved his role in the trampoline episode (that '...father' moment is just perfect. Followed by the dumpster fall.) But by and large, I don't get a lot out of Pierce as a character. He was a lot better in season 1. I think he suffered from flanderization.

Erik
  • Options
    Abed would notice!

Or if they killed Pierce, Abed's incredibly dark and strange response might be to try to recast him.

• Options
    It would be totally hilarious if they did that and Abed is the only one that notices. It would solidify the idea that he does know he is in a TV show.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    They're both dicks with short tempers, so none of this should come as a surprise.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It would be totally hilarious if they did that and Abed is the only one that notices. It would solidify the idea that he does know he is in a TV show.

Then they go all St. Elsewhere at the end of Season 4, ending the series.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012

The show could be just a script Abed was writing and he has no friends in the "real world". Ever notice that Abed is always good at everything and so insightful?

Krathoon on
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

The show could be just a script Abed was writing and he has no friends in the "real world". Ever notice that Abed is always good at everything and so insightful?

Everything is just the script Abed wrote after having the first study group meeting and at the end he gets up to go to his second study-group meeting.

He walks in and the study-group is the people from the fake study-group he used for his webseries.

• Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    I'd miss Chevy if he left, he was great in the first season and I really like his awful awful character. I think the show would suffer without him, but it would survive.

If they did kill off his character though I agree completely that Abed would try and "recast" him, probably with the elderly actor he works with on his Community show.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Nah, if they try to 'recast' him, it's obviously be a one episode guest appearance by bill murray

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    I'd miss Chevy if he left, he was great in the first season and I really like his awful awful character. I think the show would suffer without him, but it would survive.

If they did kill off his character though I agree completely that Abed would try and "recast" him, probably with the elderly actor he works with on his Community show.

leonard

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Oh man, I'm so bummed now, and a little bit changry. What do I do for my avatar now, huh? It does seem a case of two dicks colliding, and not in a way the Dean would like.

Chevy was the reason I watched the show to begin with, and I would hope they can hug it out and get everything fine for the fourth season, but if it does resort in Chevy leaving, just bring in Chang full-time to the group (unless he's filming Hangover 3) or Fat Neil or bring back Rich (please please please)

I just don't want to see someone close to being a Pierce but not really show up, like when the last season of That 70's Show had some guy come in to be the Eric of the show basically, or if Catherine Tate shows up now and I just burn everything down.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    Guys, you're thinking about this all wrong. If Chase gets booted between seasons 3 and 4, that means season 4 they can replace him with a different actor in the same part as Pierce and none of the cast acts like it happened, a la Aunt Viv in Fresh Prince. It gives them a built-in trope to work with.

"Does Pierce seem a little different to you this semester?"

"Hmm, he's shorter maybe?"

"Yeah, that's what it is."

There. That's literally all it would take. Show saved.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Better yet

They can get a random guy with a goatee

And tie it into the whole darkest timeline thing.

That would actually be awesome.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    I don't know. Too meta for my tastes. I actually feel for Chevy, since he seems to get made fun of a lot in the commentaries, even if they were in jest, which hints at the sort of relationships he has with the crew.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Pierce walked through an unused door in his mansion and teleported to the evil universe, where he never felt more at home.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Here's an interview with Chevy, done around the time S3 wrapped, but posted today. Not the most positive indicator of Chevy's future at Community (or his opinion of the show), even before this incident.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    Chen wrote: »
    I don't know. Too meta for my tastes. I actually feel for Chevy, since he seems to get made fun of a lot in the commentaries, even if they were in jest, which hints at the sort of relationships he has with the crew.

He's a real dick in the commentaries too, though, like when he asks the people siting with him to say who the hottest female cast member is. There's other stuff too, but my memory isn't fresh.

I really like Pierce as a character and I think he's had the best character arc so far, but I do think Chevy's in the wrong here.

• Options
    Oh my God, he pretty much trashes the show in the interview, and even when complimenting Alison Brie he's really condescending and a little creepy.

• Options
    I don't want to read that interview, this is seriously like your parents getting in a big fight and you don't want to take sides. I've got my favorite modern show up against all those great 80's movies Chevy did, I can't pick one, you know?

• Options
    NODeNODe Registered User regular
    Thank god he managed to "sneak in" some humor, otherwise we'd just be watching all those actors and comedians making the best sitcom on TV.

• Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    Nah, if they try to 'recast' him, it's obviously be a one episode guest appearance by bill murray

How do I forward this post to Dan Harmon and Bill Murray.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I don't want to read that interview, this is seriously like your parents getting in a big fight and you don't want to take sides. I've got my favorite modern show up against all those great 80's movies Chevy did, I can't pick one, you know?

Yes you can, Community hands down.

• Options
    After reading the interview.... I have to agree with him about the direction Community seems to be going. It's taken a page from the Family Guy playbook in the last season and run with it, let's cram as many references to other things into the show and be as wacky as we possibly can. There's no progress in the characters any more.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I don't want to read that interview, this is seriously like your parents getting in a big fight and you don't want to take sides.

No matter what happens, I want you to know that it's not your fault.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    That's complete bullshit. Shirley has gotten a lot of interesting attention this season, as has Britta. Troy and Abed are both moving forward as characters, AND their relationship is changing and being tested. Really the only characters that have been neglected this season are Annie and maybe a little bit of Pierce, who seems to have something in motion for him right now.

• Options
    After reading the interview.... I have to agree with him about the direction Community seems to be going. It's taken a page from the Family Guy playbook in the last season and run with it, let's cram as many references to other things into the show and be as wacky as we possibly can. There's no progress in the characters any more.

I agree that it's no longer rooted in the school setting, but I don't think that that's a bad thing. You can only get so much mileage out of watching people take classes.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Jeff has had some change, or at least attempted it with going on medication last week.

Chang has had too much chang, going from Senor Chang, feared teacher, to pathetic loser Rent-a-Cop Chang.

S1 Chang could have pulled of becoming something like Vice Dean Laybourne. S3 Chang? If there is one character I want gone... because he just makes me sad to see him in this state.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    It'll be sad seeing Chevy leaving, but he's replaceable. Alison Brie leaving would be much bigger deal to me.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It'll be sad seeing Chevy leaving, but he's replaceable. Alison Brie leaving would be much bigger deal to me.

Considering this season, Gillian Jacobs would be the biggest loss. She's been the MVP of season 3 so far.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Considering this season, Gillian Jacobs would be the biggest loss. She's been the MVP of season 3 so far.

She's been excellent through the entire series.

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    I wish they would bring in Fat Neil to ground the group some. He has potential.