As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[East] Hungry at the BCEC? Look no further.

• Options
    arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    vicechan wrote:
    This thread has gotten amazing. I'm really looking forward to eating in Boston. *_* Forget cheap, easy, and usual. Love these off the beaten path suggestions! Keep 'em coming!

If I had to pick *any* 5 places to take someone who hadn't been to Boston here's a quick off-the-cuff list (i'm sure if you asked me again in a week it'd change)

O Ya
    Coppa
    Island Creek Oyster Bar
    No 9 Park
    Hungry Mother

I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • Options
    So to side track the conversation, I was wondering if there is anywhere at the BCEC to get a cup of hot tea/coffee? Drinks of choice for my husband and I. :D

Starbucks are your best bet. Flour is a short walk away and they have coffee/tea (and are also one of the better bakeries in Boston)

Red B/Gold Professor

• Options
    b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    ArsonIsFun:

Can you point me in the direction of some damn good clam chowder, preferably within walking distance of BCEC if possible? I get all sorts of modified west coast stuff at home that just doesn't cut it. I want some chowdah, and I want to say it right-- unlike that "choudre" Frenchie.

• Options
    b0wser wrote:
    ArsonIsFun:

Can you point me in the direction of some damn good clam chowder, preferably within walking distance of BCEC if possible? I get all sorts of modified west coast stuff at home that just doesn't cut it. I want some chowdah, and I want to say it right-- unlike that "choudre" Frenchie.

Yankee Lobster Company has some mighty fine chowder and they are close to BCEC - that'll likely be your best bet.

It'd be maybe a 1hr trip to get out to Island Creek Oyster Bar, but they have phenomenal chowder. If you feel like seeing more of boston, it's a good idea.

Red B/Gold Professor

• Options
    rascalrascal Registered User regular
    So.....when's the soup dumpling crawl? :)

• Options
    rascal wrote:
    So.....when's the soup dumpling crawl? :)

organize it and they shall come ;)

I'd say just gather up 3 friends and hit up Gourmet Dumpling House/Taiwan Cafe/Dumpling Cafe when the mood strikes

Red B/Gold Professor

• Options
    vicechanvicechan Registered User regular
    arsonisfun wrote:
    If I had to pick *any* 5 places to take someone who hadn't been to Boston here's a quick off-the-cuff list (i'm sure if you asked me again in a week it'd change)

O Ya
    Coppa
    Island Creek Oyster Bar
    No 9 Park
    Hungry Mother

Thanks so much. *_* I added Coppa to my list, mainly because of distance and price. Island Creek also looks and sounds fierce, but I may check out Yankee Lobster Company instead. I think I need a food itinerary.

• Options
    ElzemereElzemere BostonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    KoalaBro2 wrote:
    Oh my God, Spike's Junkyard Dogs is now a chain, with a location that will deliver to the Westin? That is amazing! It even makes up for the simultaneous tragic discovery that the original location, on Thayer Street in Providence, RI, which fed me during my college years, is now out of business. Now I just need to put together like a 4-man crew to hit the $20 delivery minimum. Um, anyone want hot dogs?

lol. I didn't think I'd ever see anyone so excited over Spike's. But then I'd be the same way if I found an In-N-Out...

Speaking of burgers, I just heard my favorite burger joint is opening a second location a about a block from the Hynes.
    +Boston Burger Company

And Ive a few friends that love +Blue Inc. located on Atlantic Ave, a few minutes walk from the New England Aquarium.

Elzemere on
  • Options
    vicechan wrote:
    arsonisfun wrote:

O Ya
    Coppa
    Island Creek Oyster Bar
    No 9 Park
    Hungry Mother

Thanks so much. *_* I added Coppa to my list, mainly because of distance and price. Island Creek also looks and sounds fierce, but I may check out Yankee Lobster Company instead. I think I need a food itinerary.

Thing to note - Most of the menu at Coppa is small plates. When I went my friend and I had - 2 half orders of pasta, 6 other dishes.

Red B/Gold Professor

• Options
    Elzemere wrote:
    KoalaBro2 wrote:
    Oh my God, Spike's Junkyard Dogs is now a chain, with a location that will deliver to the Westin? That is amazing! It even makes up for the simultaneous tragic discovery that the original location, on Thayer Street in Providence, RI, which fed me during my college years, is now out of business. Now I just need to put together like a 4-man crew to hit the $20 delivery minimum. Um, anyone want hot dogs?

lol. I didn't think I'd ever see anyone so excited over Spike's. But then I'd be the same way if I found an In-N-Out...

Speaking of burgers, I just heard my favorite burger joint is opening a second location a about a block from the Hynes.
    +Boston Burger Company

And Ive a few friends that love +Blue Inc. located on Atlantic Ave, a few minutes walk from the New England Aquarium.

Spikes is pretty awesome ... I hit it up for the first time 9 years ago, other hot dogs just don't compare.

Red B/Gold Professor

• Options
    KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    Elzemere wrote:

You've got to understand, this was my local college joint. I remember seeing a consultant in there my senior year, talking with them about refining their menu and whatnot, but I didn't realize they were looking into franchising. So it's not just like finding an In-N-Out, it's like if you went to UC Irvine when there was only one In-N-Out, moved out to the east coast after graduation, and then came back 10 years later to find out that they were all over the place.

• Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Was able to book a room at the Westin Waterfront this afternoon (Yay!). I have been reading through this thread and it seems that the only places for breakfast around the Westin are bakeries. Anyone know of a place that serve a egg/bacon/toast type breakfast?

adias.angel on
    Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    Anyone know of a place that serve a egg/bacon/toast type breakfast?
    Good question. Breakfast fare in the metro area is pretty monopolized by Dunkin Donuts from what I know (which does have the Big & Toasty sandwich..a lifesaver during last years event) .

arsonisfun wrote: »
    Spikes is pretty awesome ... I hit it up for the first time 9 years ago, other hot dogs just don't compare.
    Maybe its just the Davis Sq. location Ive been to, but Ive found their dogs to be sufficiently sub-par. I'd prefer a regular kayem fenway frank anyday.

• Options
    TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    Shit I loves me some baked goods! I will eat all of them.
    All. Of. Them.

For some helpful input: Get some breakfast fare from the grocery store that you can do in the morning. Fruit, yogurt. . uh. . . Jimmy Dean things if you have access to a microwave.

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • Options
    Was able to book a room at the Westin this afternoon (Yay!). I have been reading through this thread and it seems that the only places for breakfast around the Westin are bakeries. Anyone know of a place that serve a egg/bacon/toast type breakfast?

Westin Waterfront or Westin Copley Place? We have more than one Westin here ;)

If you meant Waterfront - There aren't a ton of great breakfast options in Fort Point ( due in large part to nobody really living there ). I Imagine all the hotel restaurants will have breakfast. Luckys does brunch. Papagayo does brunch. Myself? I'd hit up South Street Diner (1mi or so from PAX) for some awesome diner food :D

Red B/Gold Professor

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Was able to book a room at the Westin this afternoon (Yay!). I have been reading through this thread and it seems that the only places for breakfast around the Westin are bakeries. Anyone know of a place that serve a egg/bacon/toast type breakfast?

If you meant Waterfront - There aren't a ton of great breakfast options in Fort Point ( due in large part to nobody really living there ). I Imagine all the hotel restaurants will have breakfast. Luckys does brunch. Papagayo does brunch. Myself? I'd hit up South Street Diner (1mi or so from PAX) for some awesome diner food :D

Oops I guess I should have mentioned it was the Waterfront. :oops:

And thanks for the suggestions!! Have you ever tried the D st diner? I saw it on a PAX map but there wasn't any other info about it. Can't tell if it's a breakfast place or not.

adias.angel on
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Seconding South Street Diner, though I can't be 100% sure that my amazing breakfast there last year was entirely due to the food and not because it was shitty and rainy and cold and that is primo diner time.

• Options
    cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    I grabbed breakfast at South Street Diner as well. Nothing to blow your mind but still good. Being as its a diner though it's SMALL inside.

Also they are open 24 hours.

People staying at the Double Tree should make the effort to walk to the diner instead of paying the RIDICULOUSLY overpriced breakfast at the hotel.

• Options

Oops I guess I should have mentioned it was the Waterfront. :oops:

And thanks for the suggestions!! Have you ever tried the D st diner? I saw it on a PAX map but there wasn't any other info about it. Can't tell if it's a breakfast place or not.

Never been, might not even be open still (saw a review from 08, no yelp page, no recent reviews)

Red B/Gold Professor

• Options
    Kiss Me GoodByeKiss Me GoodBye Registered User regular
    omg did I need this last year! My boyfriend hated me and my refusal to leave the Westin! haha

SQUID
    PAX EAST 2011 * 2012 * 2013 *2014 *2015 *2016 | PAX PRIME 2013| PAX UNPLUGGED 2017
  • Options
    BinarySamuraiBinarySamurai Code Chef Registered User regular
    OH boy! this food lover is in heaven. Last year I had some of the best foods I've had in a long time over in Boston! And I am making myself remember not to eat at the BCEC too little food for too high of a price!

• Options
    klzklz Registered User regular
    About 10-15 mins away near the water is J Pace and they were pretty decent for breakfast. I went Fri and Sat mornings (they open late on Sundays) http://jpaceandson.com/

• Options

Never been, might not even be open still (saw a review from 08, no yelp page, no recent reviews)

It is indeed closed. Nor was it breakfasty.
    zagat.com/r/d-street-cafe-south-boston

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    KoalaBro2 wrote:
    Do people have any experience ordering food delivered to their hotels? I'm staying at the Westin, and so getting food delivered seems like a good way to reduce downtime. Were places in the area able to handle the PAX-related business surge (any horror stories of waiting 8 hours for delivery)? Any suggestions on good places that deliver to the area?

I'd suggest checking out foodler - online delivery. I doubt there will be much in the way of delivery options for the area around PAX though, it isn't a part of town that has a lot of actual residents/local businesses.

just to be clear on this, there is a ridiculously large number of places that will deliver to the westin via foodler. seriously, there's TONS. boston is a pretty compact city, so while there may not be much within a few blocks of the bcec, you're still in delivery range of a LOT of places, plus it's in their best interest to deliver to hotels. we used foodler for almost every meal last year and will likely do it again. it's fast (we had no unusual delays last year), cheap (although there are fancier/pricier options), and super easy. plus there are a lot of good local places to order from, so you don't have to resort to dominos and mcdonalds. in short, foodler is amazing.

note: if you want to scope out your options in advance, you can always go to foodler's site and type in your hotel's address to get a list of who delivers there and peruse their menus.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    KoalaBro2 wrote: »
    Do people have any experience ordering food delivered to their hotels? I'm staying at the Westin, and so getting food delivered seems like a good way to reduce downtime. Were places in the area able to handle the PAX-related business surge (any horror stories of waiting 8 hours for delivery)? Any suggestions on good places that deliver to the area?

I do! We just asked the front desk if there were places that deliver late-night, and they had a few menus for us. We ordered from a pizza/sub place, and the wait wasn't bad at all, and the prices and food were much better than the stuff at the con. (We were at the Holiday Inn a white away from the con, so I don't know if that reduced our wait-time.) I'm going to check out this Foodler thing now too, though.

Side note: I'm very much a supporter now of ordering a sub or something that keeps well at room-temp (make sure to skip anything like mayo) and keeping it well wrapped in your bag to munch on during the day. Friday we all but starved, and Saturday we ate like kings. Oh, the looks we got while waiting in lines.

UyhWici.png
  • Options
    For the sake of completeness, there are other services similar to foodler as well; grubhub, seamless and eat24hours. The first two have mobile apps for ordering available.

addidas.angel, if you dont mind the travel for a good breakfast, I can certainly recommend theneighborhoodrestaurant/.
    Its small. Its busy. Its about a 15min drive out of the city.They make the best goddamned belgian waffles I have EVER had. Almost had them cater my pre-wedding breakfast.

• Options
    Elzemere wrote: »
    addidas.angel, if you dont mind the travel for a good breakfast, I can certainly recommend theneighborhoodrestaurant/.
    Its small. Its busy. Its about a 15min drive out of the city.They make the best goddamned belgian waffles I have EVER had. Almost had them cater my pre-wedding breakfast.

Aww! Now I am bummed we won't have a car while we are in Boston. I LOVE belgian waffles.

• Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    arsonisfun wrote:
    Anybody with specific dining requests can feel free to ask me, I have 10 years of serious eating in Boston under my belt (oh look, a bad joke).

Hello! Are there any Indian restaurants you'd recommend? (Delivery or dine in.)

Thanks!

Are you trying to get a Balti or something? If you succeed let me know! :)

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    Elzemere wrote: »

Aww! Now I am bummed we won't have a car while we are in Boston. I LOVE belgian waffles.

Its also accessible via public transport, but it'll take some doing. Green Line to Lechemere Station and grab the 87 Bus to Union Square. Its about 1 1/2 blocks from there neighboring a cafe and comic book shop.

• Options
    SchmoeSchmoe CanadaRegistered User regular
    This will be my first PAX and my first time visiting Boston. So excited! The information I've been collecting on the forums has been invaluable. I have a few questions though.

Can anyone tell me the best place that is: very close to BCEC (no driving, no T or taxi and little walking), extremely cheap, filling, 'standard fare' (think stereotypical 8 year old's tastes) and is actually edible (not going to make us sick)?

Also, Trader Joe's was mentioned as far as take-along prepared food that didn't need refrigeration. Could you give me an example of what kind of food(s) that might be?

Is there a Dunkin Donuts close to BCEC?

Lastly, is there a Denny's in Boston (driving distance is fine for this one) anywhere?

Thanks!

• Options
    JuandeJuande Registered User regular
    Schmoe wrote: »
    This will be my first PAX and my first time visiting Boston. So excited! The information I've been collecting on the forums has been invaluable. I have a few questions though.

Can anyone tell me the best place that is: very close to BCEC (no driving, no T or taxi and little walking), extremely cheap, filling, 'standard fare' (think stereotypical 8 year old's tastes) and is actually edible (not going to make us sick)?

Also, Trader Joe's was mentioned as far as take-along prepared food that didn't need refrigeration. Could you give me an example of what kind of food(s) that might be?

Lastly, is there a Denny's in Boston (driving distance is fine for this one) anywhere?

Thanks!

Yes, there's a Dunkin very close to BCEC. That's where I had my breakfast last year.

• Options
    KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    Looks like the closest one would be up in Danvers, about a half hour drive north.

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    If IHOP is a viable alternative, there's more of those around the heart of the city than there are Denny's.

• Options

Thanks!

Nothing close to BCEC is "extremely cheap" - it's a part of town that caters to business travelers and tourists.

Metro Cafe is a half mile, sandwiches are all around $6, and the food is decent.
    Fargo's Deli of Course is about a quarter mile. Never been, but seems like it'd be ok.

Trader Joes has a lot of prepared stuff that'd last a day or so without a fridge - sandwiches, salads, that sort of thing. They have some more entree-ish stuff, but most of it wouldn't really be great as portable food.

The last two questions have been covered I think. That said - there are some awesome diners in the area that are way better than Dennys if you're open to such things. I'd hit up Breakfast Club or Deluxe Town Diner myself :)

Red B/Gold Professor

• Options
    jrdobbsjrdobbs Registered User regular
    Any ideas as to what is open on Sunday for breakfast given the Easter holiday?

Thanks to all the great posts and suggestions. I am in metro-west suburbia but enjoy coming into town for a good meal experience so this thread is most helpful.

Cheers

Get Slack

JR
  • Options
    jrdobbs wrote: »
    Any ideas as to what is open on Sunday for breakfast given the Easter holiday?

Thanks to all the great posts and suggestions. I am in metro-west suburbia but enjoy coming into town for a good meal experience so this thread is most helpful.

Cheers

I'm guessing most of the restaurants in Boston will be open, I'd just worry about fighting with the masses getting Easter Brunch :)

Red B/Gold Professor

• Options
    OccamsRZROccamsRZR BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    I'm so happy I found this thread. There are some amazing suggestions here and I'm now sad that I didn't plan on spending more time in Boston this year. Anyone going to the free tasting at Harpoon? My friends and I are getting to boston on Thursday and having lunch at Yankee Lobster Company and walking over to Harpoon for the 2pm tasting. We did this last year and it was great. They give out beer like it was water and Yankee has some great fresh seafood. Yankee may look like a dive but looks are VERY deceiving.

Also, I would love to do a dumping crawl on Thrusday night (since we didn't get tickets to the pre-PAX dinner).

• Options
    DeathJest3rDeathJest3r Registered User regular
    heels wrote: »
    I am looking into the possibility of creating a page in the PAX directory for all restaurants that have discounts during PAX.

I SHALL KEEP YOU INFORMED.

Now that we are a week away from PAX, any confirmation on whether this food directory will be posted online or included in the PAX Program Guide?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    heels wrote: »
    I am looking into the possibility of creating a page in the PAX directory for all restaurants that have discounts during PAX.

I SHALL KEEP YOU INFORMED.

Now that we are a week away from PAX, any confirmation on whether this food directory will be posted online or included in the PAX Program Guide?

In the Guidebook guide, there's some links to food/drinks. Not sure if they will have discounts or not. I think that it's the best we're going to get this year, given that the guide is finished.

• Options
    Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    Just to clarify here, are we allowed to bring homemade food into the convention center? Like, can I bring a sandwich or fruit or waterbottles on my own or does it have to be from a store?