As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Secret Huntress Fan Club! (DC Comics: The New 52)

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i'm glad you didn't either!

and from the sounds of things I'm glad I'm glad I didn't give his Blackhawks a shot. I honestly wanted to cut him a break, maybe the transformers were just out of his wheelhouse.

nyet.

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    here's the thing, everything in that quote by costa is entirely true, more or less

that doesn't excuse you from your duties, as a writer, to create with it and allow you to whine because it is hard.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    Superman 7 was pretty good. It got the taste of 6 out of my mouth.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I read the latest Hawkman and Firestorm issues today to see if those books were improving at all.

I'm honestly not sure. Hawkman is definitely much better, but once Liefeld takes over again, it will probably all go away. Firestorm seemed just a tiny bit better, but I'm thinking that was more because the setup has all been established now and it was more or less a down issue where things cooled off after whatever big event happened at the end of the first arc.

• ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    Pretty much my thoughts on Hawkman, too. It's way better than the first few issues, but still not quite there yet where I can say "yeah, this is good!"

Most of the problem lies in that I don't feel they really pieced together a character outline or any kind of cohesive backstory for Carter. He really doesn't have much personality outside of talking like a 80's action movie hero. And supposedly he's been Hawkman for awhile and has some tragedy in his past, but everyone reacts to him like he's a brand new super-hero ... confusing.

At ECCC, one of the editors made a point to say that characters will failed books won't disappear, but instead will just kind of fall into the general universe.

That honestly sounds better to me for some of these guys. I'm fine if Static needs to bounce around through guest appearances in other books until someone finds enough of a voice for him to get him his own solo series again. And I'd be fine if that happens with Hawkman, Firestorms, and a lot of the other B- and C list characters in the DCU.

A lot of them, but not my OMAC. :( And not my likely living-by-the-moment Frankenstein either :cry:

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    At ECCC, one of the editors made a point to say that characters will failed books won't disappear, but instead will just kind of fall into the general universe.

That honestly sounds better to me for some of these guys. I'm fine if Static needs to bounce around through guest appearances in other books until someone finds enough of a voice for him to get him his own solo series again. And I'd be fine if that happens with Hawkman, Firestorms, and a lot of the other B- and C list characters in the DCU.

A lot of them, but not my OMAC. :( And not my likely living-by-the-moment Frankenstein either :cry:

OMAC's joining the JLI.

huntresssig.jpg
  • CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    Did I hear the guy at ECCC wrong, or did he mention Savage Hawkman as a character that will float around from comic to comic after his comic is gone? Maybe even DC doesn't have faith in Liefeld.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    So last week I picked up 1-6 of Blackhawks
    and O boy it was inconsistant and with a meh storyline {I know JLD was sooo slow 1-6 but still this was rather sad}

hahahahahahahaha

Blackhawks was written by Mike Costa, the guy who wrote the horrible and slow transformers ongoing from 2009-2011

his style is so fucking decompressed, three of his issues make up a single normal one

his GI Joe run was good, though, so I'm a little bit surprised that he can't write Blackhawks

then again, his best work was about a guy infiltrating Cobra

Ahh I saw it was a lot like Gi joe in being a like a Counter Terrorist squad instead of being elite pilots

Really how hard is it to write Transfromers people do it everyday and sometimes it's all about sex

So according to Gail Simone at the ECCC panel, Batgirl is selling really well with new, young readers

I guess that's why I like it and all you cynical old farts don't :P

huntresssig.jpg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    as a cynical old fart I...

Brainleech wrote: »

Really how hard is it to write Transfromers people do it everyday and sometimes it's all about sex

wat

If my books about giant metal men and their giant metal rods aren't about sex then why am I reading them?!!

huntresssig.jpg
    they don't have giant metal rods

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    ain't no cure for baby dick

7656367.jpg
    I thought that transformers did have sex

I thought Optimus Prime had a robot girlfriend! Arcee!

You can tell she was a girl because she's pink, you see

Also because she has a molded set of double-ds and an incredibly supplicating nature

huntresssig.jpg
    edited April 2012
    Solar wrote: »
    I thought that transformers did have sex

I thought Optimus Prime had a robot girlfriend! Arcee!

You can tell she was a girl because she's pink, you see

they don't have sex

they "reproduce", if you can call it that, by making protoforms in factories. the protoforms are educated, take on an altmode, and eventually become full-fledged transformers.

as for gender, IDW did something reaaaaaally weird. At first, they declared that there were zero female transformers, but, a writer screwed up, and put some female transformers in Megatron Origin. Eventually, they showed that a mad scientist named Jhiaxus, who tried to force evolution of the cybertronian race in various ways, introduced gender to the species by experimenting on various test subjects.

Arcee was the first subject, the first female transformer. other transformers would involuntarily call her a her, she, etc, which implies that that sort of thing wasn't initially present in their language to refer to each other. she did have a more feminine appearance, but not the ridiculous DDs of other versions of Arcee.

This drove Arcee nearly insane, and she swore to kill Jhiaxus. She eventually found him and beat him up horribly, and got satisfaction out of the fact that no matter what she did, he couldn't die, and he could be "killed" over and over again.

Plus, Elita-1 is Optimus's girlfriend, not Arcee.

Antimatter on
    @Arivia

the only supplicating or "weak" or stereotypically feminine Arcees are poorly written Arcees
    which, coincidentally, links up to only the Japanese versions of Arcee

she's always been shown as an incredible warrior that viciously defends her comrades from threats

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Antimatter wrote: »
    @Arivia

the only supplicating or "weak" or stereotypically feminine Arcees are poorly written Arcees
    which, coincidentally, links up to only the Japanese versions of Arcee

she's always been shown as an incredible warrior that viciously defends her comrades from threats

I've heard of Arcee before (for some reason I never remembered her when I watched the classic series) but she only made an impression with the Prime series. Great character.

Harry Dresden on
    Arivia wrote: »
    Also because she has a molded set of double-ds and an incredibly supplicating nature

of course

goes without saying

again

she is never supplicating unless someone is doing something wrong

in japan, she was a secretary. in the US, she was a crack shot and master hand to hand fighter.

I will take your word for it

• ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    So reading Johns' interview about Shazam on AICN today, and then going back and rereading the Shazam back-up ... is the implication we're supposed to pick up on is that Freddie and Mary are going to be the other foster kids he's going to go live with?

So Mary's not going to be his blood sister this time around?

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Probably not, let's just pray the Shazam doesn't oggle Mary Marvel in a Guy Gardner type way in the DCnU.

Billy is going to hook up with Mary

the she gets killed by Black Adam

Shazam swears that he will have his brutal revenge

a classic story for all ages!

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Which leads to an evil version of Mary Marvel.......Bloody Mary Marvel.

Who of course embarks on a string of murders where she tears various protestant leaders to bits

Now Billy must kill his adopted sister/girlfriend or become a martyr himself!!!

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    AAAAAAAAAAAAGH

MAKE IT STOP!

IKknkhU.gif
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Which leads to an evil version of Mary Marvel.......Bloody Mary Marvel.

so wait are you saying Shazam first appeared in last month's Batwoman

huntresssig.jpg
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    What was going on with the supersuit in Action Comics 8?

• TairuTairu Registered User regular
    It was absorbing the cultural standards from other collected civilizations I think

edited April 2012
    JLI got really bad in the span of two issues.

Spoilers for JLI AND OMAC:

So not only is
    half the cast dead already,
    but now
    some totally 90s brutal villain named Breakdown, who can make people decay and have their flesh fall off and bones turn brittle then poof into dust, is around to break the system or some terribly contrived BS.
    Also, OMAC shows up, and he's not even the same as he was at the end of OMAC 8.
    He seems to not be in control... again. But beyond that he's being written entirely as Hulk by Jurgens, which blows, because that is not OMAC, and it is definitely not Kevin Kho.

The only decent thing is that it gave Batwing a real reason to be in Gotham for Night of the Owls.

And next month's issue is a tie-in to Firestorm, which makes me wonder if that's why JLI has suddenly turned into one of the most grimdark books at DC after being consistently light and entertaining until now.

HadjiQuest on
    Also, the end of OMAC was goddamn heartbreaking, and we should all light a candle and take a moment to reflect on the now dearly departed best book of the New 52.

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Also, the end of OMAC was goddamn heartbreaking, and we should all light a candle and take a moment to reflect on the now dearly departed best book of the New 52.

What's the end of OMAC have to do with Blackhawks?

i still have to pick up OMAC tomorrow :(

WHAT DID THEY DO TO OMAC

JLI got really bad in the span of two issues.

Spoilers for JLI AND OMAC:

So not only is
    half the cast dead already,
    but now
    some totally 90s brutal villain named Breakdown, who can make people decay and have their flesh fall off and bones turn brittle then poof into dust, is around to break the system or some terribly contrived BS.
    Also, OMAC shows up, and he's not even the same as he was at the end of OMAC 8.
    He seems to not be in control... again. But beyond that he's being written entirely as Hulk by Jurgens, which blows, because that is not OMAC, and it is definitely not Kevin Kho.

The only decent thing is that it gave Batwing a real reason to be in Gotham for Night of the Owls.

And next month's issue is a tie-in to Firestorm, which makes me wonder if that's why JLI has suddenly turned into one of the most grimdark books at DC after being consistently light and entertaining until now.

Yeah JLI is feeling really blah on the palate after being one of my most consistently enjoyable DC books. I hope it picks up again after the Firestorm crossover.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    They're just going through a rough patch right now, and only one person on the team died, the rest are just banged up pretty bad.

You guys need to look on the bright side here, with OMAC's book coming to a close they could have ulterior motives for his arrival.
    Such as maybe joining the team, eh?

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    We already know he's joining the team from a solicit.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    I always miss these things.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
This discussion has been closed.