Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Community: Season 4 Premiere February 7, Old Timeslot

13435373940100

Posts

  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It'll be sad seeing Chevy leaving, but he's replaceable. Alison Brie leaving would be much bigger deal to me.

    Considering this season, Gillian Jacobs would be the biggest loss. She's been the MVP of season 3 so far.

    She's been excellent through the entire series.

    Well, after the first 10 or so episodes, but that was more on the writers. Season 1 was more Joel McHale centered with the Pudi/Glover team providing backup, I think season 2 made them the focus and the most indispensable, and this year it's Jacobs. Not to disparage the work of Alison Brie or Yvette Nicole Brown, who have been excellent (Brie more so because the writers write better stuff for Annie, when called upon Brown is great).

    Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
    Loose: about to slip, to release (Ex: "That knot is loose." "Loose arrows.")
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Chevy Chase in Feud with Community creator Dan Harmon
    Things are looking up for NBC’s perennial bubble series Community, which has been solid since returning from a long hiatus earlier this month, establishing itself as NBC’s second highest-rated comedy behind The Office. But behind the scenes, a rift between co-star Chevy Chase and creator/executive producer/showrunner Dan Harmon has escalated into an ugly war of words.

    Accounts of the feud have leaked online, including on social news website Reddit. The chronology of the events, corroborated to me by multiple sources, involves Chase walking off the set of the show on the last day of shooting last month without filming one of his scenes, which reportedly was to close out the season finale. Then at the wrap party, Harmon got up and gave a “Fuck you, Chevy” speech in front of Chase and his wife and daughter, and encouraged the crew to join him in saying “fuck you” to the actor. Chase left immediately and later left Harmon a profane-laden voice message, a portion of which found its way to the Web after Harmon played it in front of other people. Click here for audio. (Warning: foul language! NOTE: The audio link has just been disabled, a copy of the file will be uploaded below the story momentarily) In the voice message, Chase addresses both his storming off the set, which he attributes to not getting the script beforehand, (some say it’s because he didn’t find the scene funny) and the wrap party incident.

    People close to the matter told me they weren’t surprised by the feud, noting that Chase already had a reputation of being difficult before signing on for Community. (I hear it was NBC’s former boss Ben Silverman who championed Chase for the project and was instrumental in bringing him on board.) Word is Chase has stormed off the set of the NBC show in the middle of a scene a number of times and has also gotten into arguments with Community executive producers-directors Anthony and Joe Russo. There had been tension between Chase and Harmon, and with both of them described as “passionate” or “volatile,” depending who you talk to, a blowup was “inevitable,” one person said. Ironically, a recorded Chevy Chase phone call played a major role in another feud involving the Saturday Night Live alum, that with shock jock Howard Stern.

    It is unclear at the moment what impact the falling-out between Harmon and Chase would have on Community and whether Chase would continue on the show. The producers’ attention right now is focused on securing a fourth-season renewal for the offbeat comedy, which appears more and more likely. The pickup is key to the syndication prospects of the series, which has an off-network deal with Comedy Central as well as a non-exclusive pact with Hulu. While he was the biggest name when Community launched, the series has made stars out of several of its little known supporting players, with Joel McHale firmly established as the show’s leading man. Still, Community has benefited Chase, boosting his sagging career with a role on a hip show.

    You know, I was kind of rubbed the wrong way by how Harmon acted on the S1 commentaries, how he kept bragging about pulling shit out of his ass at the last minute, and the breakdown he did of S2 on the AV Club was grating because he kept whinging about his heartbreaking work of staggering genius that is Community, but this takes the cake of cry baby, spoiled bullshit.

    You have an actor walk off, yeah, you should talk to him about that, fuck you can even chew him a new one IN PRIVATE. That's like, lesson one in How to be a Good Boss. You don't have a circle jerk session at a wrap party in front of his family and then show the response tape around to your buddies until its leaked on the internet.

    Chevy Chase may be a pain to work with, but I'd never want to work for Dan Harmon if he acts like this all the time.

    Lh96QHG.png
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    Dan Harmon is a diva, pure and simple.

  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I think Chevy should sue him.

  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Is there anything to sue for? Being a bitch isn't really a legal offense.

    Lh96QHG.png
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    I'm inclined to side with Chevy on this.

  • MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I had a hunch this was coming after watching the commentaries and the S2 Pierce breakdown. Watching the commentaries over the last few months I could see that Chevy was gonna lose his shit. Barely a mention of Chevy goes by without some sort of snide remark at his expense. He seems like a shit enough person to deserve it, but the other cast members were dealing with that douchebaggery with the kind of jokes Jeff threw across the study room at Pierce all the time.

    Also - and this is more of a stab - it seemed like the cast always let Dan talk when he wanted to, as if they'd learned to Just Give Him What He Wants. I liked him, but that vibe was ominous.

    Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.
    Spoiler:
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Is there anything to sue for? Being a bitch isn't really a legal offense.

    It seems like plenty of evidence of misconduct on Dan's end. It just depends if Chevy can get some witnesses. Since he has been around for a while, he may have some pull. Either that or he could use his connections to make things difficult for Dan. That is just speculation of course.

    Krathoon on
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Nah, if they try to 'recast' him, it's obviously be a one episode guest appearance by bill murray

    Brilliant.

    Seriously J not only are you a monumentally umpleasant person when you start uttering the nonsense that passes for philosophy in your mind (shame on whatever institution you graduated in, and shame on your tutors for creating such a monster), but your sense of humor, such as it is, is awful.
  • MagellMagell Sphinx! Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I think Chevy comes off better because Dan is a dick to him where everybody can see or hear, while Chevy is a dick on stage where we don't see.

    Dan isn't the only one who complains about Chevy on commentaries though. There are times when the other actors bag on him as well, and in the commentaries he basically says he has no clue what's going on in the show, and he seems pretty dismissive of the other people on them as well.

    But I'll end up siding with Harmon because I like Community more than I like Chase.

  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    There's been a running game on Twitter among the cast for a year or so called "Chevy or Pierce."

    Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
    Loose: about to slip, to release (Ex: "That knot is loose." "Loose arrows.")
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User regular
    "You know, Chevy Chase woke up one day and just wasn't funny anymore."

    Seriously J not only are you a monumentally umpleasant person when you start uttering the nonsense that passes for philosophy in your mind (shame on whatever institution you graduated in, and shame on your tutors for creating such a monster), but your sense of humor, such as it is, is awful.
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I remember a fark thread on community during season 1. Someone claimed to have done improv or small time comedy theater with Dan. Told a few stories about him being a dick. I took it as sour graps back then, giving it more credence now.

    bloodatonement on
    wpf91qjuczat.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    I remember a fark thread on community during season 1. Someone claimed to have done improv or small time comedy theater with Dan. Told a few stories about him being a dick. I took it as sour graps back then, giving it more credence now.

    Really?

    Because that wouldn't have surprised me at all. Being funny does not automatically mean you're a nice person.

  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Is there anything to sue for? Being a bitch isn't really a legal offense.

    It seems like plenty of evidence of misconduct on Dan's end. It just depends if Chevy can get some witnesses. Since he has been around for a while, he may have some pull. Either that or he could use his connections to make things difficult for Dan. That is just speculation of course.

    Hmm, I guess if he quits he could sue for hostile workplace, but just being an asshole isn't really a thing you can sue people for. At least, God I hope it isn't or I need to lawyer the fuck up.

    Lh96QHG.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I remember a fark thread on community during season 1. Someone claimed to have done improv or small time comedy theater with Dan. Told a few stories about him being a dick. I took it as sour graps back then, giving it more credence now.

    Any chance you could dig a link up?

  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Musicool wrote: »
    Also - and this is more of a stab - it seemed like the cast always let Dan talk when he wanted to, as if they'd learned to Just Give Him What He Wants. I liked him, but that vibe was ominous.

    In nearly every commentary I've heard that features a cast/crew mix, the creative force (showrunner, director, writer, etc.) tends to dominate the discussion while the cast defers to him/her. Generally, they just seem to have more to say. I think you're reading something into that that isn't there.

    Captain Tragedy on
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Musicool wrote: »
    Also - and this is more of a stab - it seemed like the cast always let Dan talk when he wanted to, as if they'd learned to Just Give Him What He Wants. I liked him, but that vibe was ominous.

    In nearly every commentary I've heard that features a cast/crew mix, the creative force (showrunner, director, writer, etc.) tends to dominate the discussion while the cast defers to him/her. Generally, they just seem to have more to say. I think you're reading something into that that isn't there.

    I think that it's a fair point with Harmon though, he generally just always wants to talk about his Special Baby. Maybe it's because it's his first show on network tv, I don't know, but his attitude with Community is fairly grating.

    Lh96QHG.png
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Commentaries suffer from lack of Allison Brie.

  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User regular
    Wait. If Chevy doesn't like sitcoms, why did he sign on to a sitcom?

    Seriously J not only are you a monumentally umpleasant person when you start uttering the nonsense that passes for philosophy in your mind (shame on whatever institution you graduated in, and shame on your tutors for creating such a monster), but your sense of humor, such as it is, is awful.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    The parts with the cast are always my favorite commentaries. Early commentaries for the office are amazing in that regard. It used to be full of the mains and Greg Daniels (a couple with Harold Ramis!) and now it's like BJ Novak and the craft services guys.

    Lh96QHG.png
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Musicool wrote: »
    Also - and this is more of a stab - it seemed like the cast always let Dan talk when he wanted to, as if they'd learned to Just Give Him What He Wants. I liked him, but that vibe was ominous.

    In nearly every commentary I've heard that features a cast/crew mix, the creative force (showrunner, director, writer, etc.) tends to dominate the discussion while the cast defers to him/her. Generally, they just seem to have more to say. I think you're reading something into that that isn't there.

    I think that it's a fair point with Harmon though, he generally just always wants to talk about his Special Baby. Maybe it's because it's his first show on network tv, I don't know, but his attitude with Community is fairly grating.

    But...so do most showrunners, directors, etc.

    I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Dan Harmon in the specific case of how he acted towards Chevy (especially at the wrap party, which was shitty and unprofessional), but shitting on him for doing something on commentaries that's fairly par for course (ie. a creative force talking in-depth and at length about what he's created) and going "LOOK! SEE WHAT A DICK HE IS!" seems like a reach.

    Captain Tragedy on
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Musicool wrote: »
    Also - and this is more of a stab - it seemed like the cast always let Dan talk when he wanted to, as if they'd learned to Just Give Him What He Wants. I liked him, but that vibe was ominous.

    In nearly every commentary I've heard that features a cast/crew mix, the creative force (showrunner, director, writer, etc.) tends to dominate the discussion while the cast defers to him/her. Generally, they just seem to have more to say. I think you're reading something into that that isn't there.

    I think that it's a fair point with Harmon though, he generally just always wants to talk about his Special Baby. Maybe it's because it's his first show on network tv, I don't know, but his attitude with Community is fairly grating.

    But...so do most showrunners, directors, etc.

    I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Dan Harmon in the specific case of how he acted towards Chevy (especially at the wrap party, which was shitty and unprofessional), but this really does seem taking something that's fairly par for course (ie. a creative force talking in-depth and at length about what he's created) and going "LOOK! SEE WHAT A DICK HE IS!"

    I wouldn't say that his actions here are pretty par for the course, this one is sort of the domino that shook the cradle. But you are right that Harmon in general is par for the course, but I think he crossed a line in this instance.

    To put it another way, none of the show runners I really respect act like this*.

    *As far as we know, admittedly, but I feel like this thing is pretty likely to get out.

    Lh96QHG.png
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    Wait. If Chevy doesn't like sitcoms, why did he sign on to a sitcom?

    Because his career since like... Vegas Vacation had been nothing except playing evil Steve Jobs for three episodes on Chuck. And getting the shit torn out of him on a Comedy Central roast and the SNL oral history.

    Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
    Loose: about to slip, to release (Ex: "That knot is loose." "Loose arrows.")
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    Wait. If Chevy doesn't like sitcoms, why did he sign on to a sitcom?

    Because his career since like... Vegas Vacation had been nothing except playing evil Steve Jobs for three episodes on Chuck. And getting the shit torn out of him on a Comedy Central roast and the SNL oral history.

    That's what happens when a person stops being funny.

    You'd think he would at least appreciate having work.

    Seriously J not only are you a monumentally umpleasant person when you start uttering the nonsense that passes for philosophy in your mind (shame on whatever institution you graduated in, and shame on your tutors for creating such a monster), but your sense of humor, such as it is, is awful.
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I fully admit that reading the SNL oral history may make me biased against siding with Chevy here. He...does not come across well (to say the least), and not even just his time on the show in the 70's - pretty much every host/guest appearance he did in every era up through the Will Ferrell period is filled with heinous stories about how horrible he is.

    Captain Tragedy on
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    While Chase may be a right asshole, and according to reports he is, that doesn't mean that the way Harmon acted is okay, he was bang out of order. It may be a case of Dicks All Around though.

    Lh96QHG.png
  • VariableVariable Ted Hitler Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    honestly it sounds like they're both dicks about it. I think any given person could fall on either side but I'm just gonna say I think it's a shame. Chevy Chase is good at things that not a lot of people are good at (and honestly that are hard to make work, hence his history) but Dan Harmon created one of my favorite shows of all time.

    this just blows.

    I'll say if you want to go event for event, 'actor walking off early' and 'head creator of show calling out actor in front of everyone and goading others to join in', the latter sounds worse.

    but, again... I wouldn't even cast blame. this is just a shame.

    BNet-Vari#1998 | WiiU-Variable | 3DS-3866-8105-7478 | Steam | Twitch
    Sig%20-%20Hearthstone%20DoA.png
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    I remember a fark thread on community during season 1. Someone claimed to have done improv or small time comedy theater with Dan. Told a few stories about him being a dick. I took it as sour graps back then, giving it more credence now.

    Any chance you could dig a link up?

    not too many Dan Harmon stories on fark, so third comment

    wpf91qjuczat.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    It seems pretty difficult to make character assessments based on hearsay and people with personal anecdotes. Not that they're lies, but they're colored by a lot of things I can't see. Because the same guy that was a total cock in Milwaukee improv is the same guy that wrote a totally heartwarming letter to a little kid about "Monster House."

  • NappuccinoNappuccino Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I wouldn't be surprised if Dan has some kind of Manic-Depressive disorder going by his general comments about his creative process and the mental breakdowns he seems to routinely have while producing the show. He's also pretty Type-A it seems.

    I mean... I think partly why he sided with that kid in the letter is because he was already predisposed to be against the movie because of what Spielberg did to his initial vision of what it should be. Had he set out to make the movie he wanted and the kid still disliked it, he likely would have sent back something rather snarky (albiet with less cursewords than he would send to you or me on Twitter).

    He's a pretty great guy, but he's definitely got his flaws and this is one of them.

    Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Spoiler:
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    For one, he never remembered my name. In fact, he never remembered we had met at all. He just always pretended like he didn't know who I was, despite the fact that I probably saw him at least once or twice a month, and always said "hello."

    Who's Kim?

  • HacksawHacksaw J Duggan Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    For one, he never remembered my name. In fact, he never remembered we had met at all. He just always pretended like he didn't know who I was, despite the fact that I probably saw him at least once or twice a month, and always said "hello."

    Who's Kim?

    Yeah, I got this feeling as well.

    Sidenote: where are the witness accounts of Dan Harmon telling off Chase at the wrap party?

  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if Dan has some kind of Manic-Depressive disorder going by his general comments about his creative process and the mental breakdowns he seems to routinely have while producing the show. He's also pretty Type-A it seems.

    I mean... I think partly why he sided with that kid in the letter is because he was already predisposed to be against the movie because of what Spielberg did to his initial vision of what it should be. Had he set out to make the movie he wanted and the kid still disliked it, he likely would have sent back something rather snarky (albiet with less cursewords than he would send to you or me on Twitter).

    He's a pretty great guy, but he's definitely got his flaws and this is one of them.

    Is Dan Harmon a douche? Probably.

    On the other hand, Community is brilliant.

    On the other other hand, you if you want to maintain your brilliant TV shows, then you should know how to get a handle on your actors by now.

  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    There's really nothing about any of the personal failings of the people who work on the show that should diminish your enjoyment of it. Michael Jackson's pedastry doesn't make Thriller and less awesome.

    Lh96QHG.png
  • Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    There's really nothing about any of the personal failings of the people who work on the show that should diminish your enjoyment of it. Michael Jackson's pedastry doesn't make Thriller and less awesome.

    Allegedly.



    Thriller is allegedly awesome.

  • RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    I feel it's usually the right call to divorce a person from their work, at least when it comes to entertainment, but I find that once the damage is done, it's really quite hard to reverse it.

    Point being, whenever I see an episode of Seinfeld on syndication and Kramer walks in, I immediately think of the Richards racist blow-up. Does it detract from my enjoyable of the show? Not really, but the thought stays there.

    !
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    There's really nothing about any of the personal failings of the people who work on the show that should diminish your enjoyment of it. Michael Jackson's pedastry doesn't make Thriller and less awesome.

    This is how I feel.

    I don't care what any of these douchenozzles are doing behind the scenes. I'm not watching Chevy Chase and Dan Harmon. I'm watching Community. They aren't a part of Community. Pierce is a part of Community. I'm interested in the end product.

    steam_sig.png
  • Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if Dan has some kind of Manic-Depressive disorder going by his general comments about his creative process and the mental breakdowns he seems to routinely have while producing the show. He's also pretty Type-A it seems.

    I mean... I think partly why he sided with that kid in the letter is because he was already predisposed to be against the movie because of what Spielberg did to his initial vision of what it should be. Had he set out to make the movie he wanted and the kid still disliked it, he likely would have sent back something rather snarky (albiet with less cursewords than he would send to you or me on Twitter).

    He's a pretty great guy, but he's definitely got his flaws and this is one of them.

    Is Dan Harmon a douche? Probably.

    On the other hand, Community is brilliant.

    On the other other hand, you if you want to maintain your brilliant TV shows, then you should know how to get a handle on your actors by now.

    Harmon is just a producer with a creator credit. We say that he "owns" the characters for accounting purpose$, but he has had fuck-all to do with making them funny or likable.

    Note that the best episodes of Community were neither directed nor written by Dan Harmon.

    In fact, the success of the show has had far more to do with the great ensemble cast and the words they say than the hurf-durfery of Harmon's initial network pitch, "It's a sitcom, but set in a community college!!"

  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    A lot of Pierce is Chevy.

    Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
    Loose: about to slip, to release (Ex: "That knot is loose." "Loose arrows.")
Sign In or Register to comment.