As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

this is the save toonami thread for babbys check OP for details you candycorns

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    YaYa wrote: »
    Gatsby wrote: »
    I have never watched evangellion

I am goid with this decision

Yeah I'll admit, retrospectively I liked the series for all the wrong reasons as a teenager.

I just mostly enjoy the animation itself in End of Evangelion at least. And Rebuild, some of that stuff is beautiful.

I

still kind of like End of Evangelion

although I actually think the crazy incomprehensible series ending is better, if you can actually piece together what the fuck is going on

If you know anything about the creator, the progression of the series becomes almost kind of funny.

See, the guy started to have a nervous breakdown partway through making the show.

Then, rather than taking time off, he just worked harder on it, and just started to lose his shit altogether.

The anime then turned into a mirror of his depression.

Yeah, he was already having problems, and Eva was basically documenting his collapse week-by-week.

Like he was freaking out and making the voice actresses cry during recording sessions

And then there's a few references to his own life, like uh, whoever that kid was who had to get his arm and leg amputated.

His dad had to have same arm and leg amputated after an industrial accident.

But if you think that's a bad creator freakout, try watching Cat Soup

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    liefeld is always gonna do terrible 90s things

judging anything by liefeld's pet projects is a bad idea

kinda like judging ultimate marvel by the fact that loeb is running it

• B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    FCD wrote: »
    God, I forget sometimes just how depressing Trigun gets.

Like, it starts out like a hilarious goofy action series about a guy who somehow gets out of the worst situations with no one getting serious hurt, except maybe the bad guys.

Then it turns out he's actually a genuine badass who tries to hide it by acting like an idiot.

Then it turns out that he does this because he has the most horrific origin story in all of anime.

Was that Trigun movie any good? I remember hearing about it awhile back, but lost track of it.

It's pretty fun, but lacking in substance.

It's firmly in the "funtimes goofy action series" period of Trigun, after he meets Wolfwood but before it gets all dramatic.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Veretas wrote: »
    granted

The majority of anime has some pretty fucking awful excuses for animation

but so does many western cartoons

For example, the entirety of Hannah Barbera before the 90s.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

i don't know why i'm arguing wiht you

you're a robot

• mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    im so confused, tom just announced the next episode of bleach and ended it with 'only toonami...on adult swim'

whatas is happense

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »

well, yeah he's always going to draw badly

but he's allowed to script

that hasn't happened in a long time

lots of characters are being killed off at a rapid pace, certain comics are way worse than certain others

justice league isn't even particularly great

Shorty wrote: »
    cartoon network watching went into a few phases for me:

1. The Early days:
    Cartoon Network movies, including those scooby doo movies, and looney tunes. A golden era

2. Toonami Era

3. Desperately trying to stay up late so I could watch Fullmetal Alchemist Era

for me it was

1. Early days with a whole bunch of shitty hanna-barbera cartoons (which sucked) and old syndicated shit from the early nineties (fuckin' SWAT KATS I NEED CHOPPER BACKUP)

2. cartoon cartoon period which had good stuff like Powerpuff Girls and also raw garbage like Cow and Chicken

3. Adult Swim

FUCK YES :^: :^:

Also, the Pirates of Dark Water. I can't really say if it was a great show or not, but I loved it. I've always had a weakness for sword and board fantasy.

Same reason I really loved Conan the Adventurer.

Conan the Adventurer

yet another show I wasn't allowed to watch!

actually if my mother had ever caught me actually watching Swat Kats she probably would have nixed it as well

I'll always be grateful that Conan the Adventurer got a full, satisfying ending, with most loose ends tied up. Pity about that spin-off with the kid sidekicks, though I just ignore that.

Yeah I was really glad that Conan finished what he set out to do.

He stopped the bad guy, rescued his family, threw a party afterwards, etc.

Good times were had, and many were the adventures along the way.

Also, can I just say that that show had the coolest non-violence loophole?

The antagonists were serpent men who, when struck with star metal, would be banished to the abyss.

A hell portal would just open right up and vacuum them.

That is fucking awesome.

• VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    im so confused, tom just announced the next episode of bleach and ended it with 'only toonami...on adult swim'

whatas is happense

i think

u know exactly what is happense

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    @Buttlord

here's the thing

the actual, major thing

the editor in chief of marvel when marvel was literally going down the toilet, during the time period in the 90s before joey q, who later joined vertigo as an editor in chief, is now co-editor with jim lee

that man is making important decisions at DC

Antimatter wrote: »

well, yeah he's always going to draw badly

but he's allowed to script

that hasn't happened in a long time

lots of characters are being killed off at a rapid pace, certain comics are way worse than certain others

justice league isn't even particularly great

eh

i think that overall new 52 is a far cry from the XTREME 90S

for now anyway

@Buttlord

here's the thing

the actual, major thing

the editor in chief of marvel when marvel was literally going down the toilet, during the time period in the 90s before joey q, who later joined vertigo as an editor in chief, is now co-editor with jim lee

maybe he learnedahahahahaha

goddammit i tried

i tried

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Wait, what is this? This isn't the Tenchi they showed on Toonami 12 years ago. This is the Tenchi they made in 2005.

GIIIGAAAAAANTOOOOOOOOR

QUICKER THAN QUICK

STRONGER THAN STRONG

• FCDFCD Registered User regular
    cartoon network watching went into a few phases for me:

1. The Early days:
    Cartoon Network movies, including those scooby doo movies, and looney tunes. A golden era

2. Toonami Era

3. Desperately trying to stay up late so I could watch Fullmetal Alchemist Era

for me it was

1. Early days with a whole bunch of shitty hanna-barbera cartoons (which sucked) and old syndicated shit from the early nineties (fuckin' SWAT KATS I NEED CHOPPER BACKUP)

2. cartoon cartoon period which had good stuff like Powerpuff Girls and also raw garbage like Cow and Chicken

3. Adult Swim

FUCK YES :^: :^:

Also, the Pirates of Dark Water. I can't really say if it was a great show or not, but I loved it. I've always had a weakness for sword and board fantasy.

Same reason I really loved Conan the Adventurer.

Conan the Adventurer

yet another show I wasn't allowed to watch!

actually if my mother had ever caught me actually watching Swat Kats she probably would have nixed it as well

I'll always be grateful that Conan the Adventurer got a full, satisfying ending, with most loose ends tied up. Pity about that spin-off with the kid sidekicks, though I just ignore that.

Yeah I was really glad that Conan finished what he set out to do.

He stopped the bad guy, rescued his family, threw a party afterwards, etc.

Good times were had, and many were the adventures along the way.

Also, can I just say that that show had the coolest non-violence loophole?

The antagonists were serpent men who, when struck with star metal, would be banished to the abyss.

A hell portal would just open right up and vacuum them.

That is fucking awesome.

And the best part is when Conan gets sucked into the hell dimension where starmetal'd Serpentmen go. Turns out that when you hit them with starmetal in their home dimension, they just turn to mist for a little bit and then near instantly reform. What a great show, with a strong supporting mythos to it.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Wait, what is this? This isn't the Tenchi they showed on Toonami 12 years ago. This is the Tenchi they made in 2005.

yes and lucky you gets to be the only one who has any idea what is happening

wolfwood noooo :cry:

I enjoyed watching most of it all over again, when a dude named Bleek79 started putting the episodes up on youtube.

Upon rewatching I noticed little things that I missed as a kid

Like how Conan was constantly chasing tail whenever it met his field of vision

And regularly got himself ambushed doing so.

• balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    off the top of my head

a study of animation through the lens of feminist critique

anime, at its worst, panders to the male-perverse

western animation, at its worst, panders to the male-impotent

Y/N?

Yeah, I can't watch it. Too much sad times for me ;-;

But I didn't watch the 2005 Tenchi series. Just the first 13 OAV episodes, Tenchi Universe, Tenchi in Tokyo, first two movies, and Magical Project S.

Yeah, I can't watch it. Too much sad times for me ;-;

he wasn't even gonna shoot him! he got mind controlled

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    "Magical Project S"

good christ

• MugginsMuggins Registered User regular

But I didn't watch the 2005 Tenchi series. Just the first 13 OAV episodes, Tenchi Universe, Tenchi in Tokyo, first two movies, and Magical Project S.
    That gives you a leg up over any one of us on being able to figure it out then

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |

then

whelp

@Buttlord

here's the thing

the actual, major thing

goddammit i tried

i tried

I hate what they've done to Blue Beetle. Just taking Jaime's family and friends, as well as all the humor and joy of the previous series, and just tossing it all into a pit and setting the pit on fire. What a goddamned pointless waste.

"Magical Project S"

good christ

It's actually a really good Magical Girl parody. I remember one of the monsters of the weak, Chemistry Girl, was just a big flask with legs, and couldn't even attack. I should really watch my DVDs of it sometime.

FUCK YEAH

THE RAID REDEMPTION IS SHOWING IN SYRACUSE IN TWO WEEKS

FUCK

FUCKING

YEAH

no joke i just fucking danced in my room and did punches and kicks at the air that's how fucking STOKED i am for this movie

• B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular

Not even Tenchi GXP, DUAL!, Tenchi Muyo! Bangai-hen: Galaxy Police Mihoshi's Space Adventure and Sasami Magical Girls Club?

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    and the episode whjere aster dies for astro boy what are you doing toonami why are you trying so hard to shit on my heart

seriously guys this is a movie where the plot exists only for the seventeen seconds between insane silat-based fight scenes

that's seventeen seconds cumulatively mind you

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    @Buttlord

here's the thing

the actual, major thing

goddammit i tried

i tried

I hate what they've done to Blue Beetle. Just taking Jaime's family and friends, as well as all the humor and joy of the previous series, and just tossing it all into a pit and setting the pit on fire. What a goddamned pointless waste.

kind of like when they went to a lot of effort to move Nightwing to New York then whoooooops now he's the bat

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

Man Gundam Wing was always pretty dumb but

I've always really loved the look of the character designs

Never really saw it though I read some of the manga when I was on break at work. I like the look of some of the Gundams though, which means the ending of Endless Waltz annoys me to no end. I get why they'd do it but it still seems like a huge waste.

B:L wrote: »

Not even Tenchi GXP, DUAL!, Tenchi Muyo! Bangai-hen: Galaxy Police Mihoshi's Space Adventure and Sasami Magical Girls Club?

Nah. I stopped keeping up with the series a dozen years ago.

shut up about japanimation

thread's now about kung fu movies and why the newer stuff out of thailand and indonesia fucking RULES

• balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    awww yes harem anime

femininity caricatured and without any impeding characteristics of self-possession or will for my mastubatory pleasure

shut up about japanimation

thread's now about kung fu movies and why the newer stuff out of thailand and indonesia fucking RULES

I haven't seen remotely enough kung fu flicks

what should a dude who's only ever seen Drunken Master and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon watch

father i thought you loved me ;_; father dont go

fuckkk

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    balerbower wrote: »
    off the top of my head

a study of animation through the lens of feminist critique

anime, at its worst, panders to the male-perverse

western animation, at its worst, panders to the male-impotent

Y/N?

Eh, it's really a mistake to even try to critique a medium

I mean obviously there's some, like, really really goddamn big sexism problems in a lot of anime

But then there's also a very large market of female writers writing for female audiences as well (which themselves can have a lot of issues).

And there's a fair amount of LGBT themes that actual get a real discussion in mainstream manga and anime and have really yet to be touched by American animators at all.

I mean Hourou Musoku's a story about an elementary school boy who wants to be a girl, and is a pretty realistic depiction of transgender issues (even though the adaptation isn't very good). And it aired on Fuji TV, a major network. I mean (portions of) America would freak the fuck out if that played on American TV.

So basically what I'm saying is it's pretty impossible to critique a medium.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
This discussion has been closed.