As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sonic the Hedgehog] New Sonic All-Stars Racing trailer... with Afterburner stage!

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Gotta hand it to the artists though, the Sonic sprites look like he ran right off the cover of Sonic 2.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    yeah, I'm disappointed to hear everything went to shit

• ShutdownShutdown Registered User regular
    I'm reading that link on SonicRetro, the irony is staggering.
    set on showing the programmers there that he can outsmart any attempt at breaking his game like he did with the original games in, he’s lost site on what really matters in the grand scheme of things

Actually, that explains a lot.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Er, the Sonic Retro link heads to a dead Go Daddy placeholder.

YL9WnCY.png
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Er, the Sonic Retro link heads to a dead Go Daddy placeholder.

Which link? The one in TSR's post? That one seems to work just fine for me...

• IgortIgort Registered User regular
    I played the alpha and was thoroughly unimpressed with it. It all clicked when I read in Guess Who's post on Retro about the system requirements being comparable to Crysis of all things.

Like TSR I pretty much gave up hope of this project being worthwhile a long time ago. Shame, really.

• carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Well I'm not going to bother trying out their malware, but there's always youtube. gotto say that the other people involved are doing a great job:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA5XqON9OcI

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    yeah, it's a shame. the art and music are great.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I have the PS3 version, I'm fine with that, but thanks.

wVEsyIc.png
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    I'd donate money to that!

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/angry-video-screwattack/728631

The AVGN reminisces about Sonic the Hedgehog. It's not a review, just him getting nostalgic about it.

And in the video playing behind him, there's something weird going on with the font at the end of Green Hill. Maybe it's an emulator, but he doesn't usually use em...

Oh brilliant
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I'm not even sure what weird font thing you're talking about, I am completely missing it.

steam_sig.png
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    I'm not even sure what weird font thing you're talking about, I am completely missing it.

The text saying "Green Hill Zone" is the font from Sonic 2, not Sonic 1.

avgn.png

I've been playing Generations a couple weeks now and I'm gonna say something I never thought I'd ever say: I wish Nintendo would make a Mario game as good as this Sonic game.
    Both NSMB games were a joke in terms of level design and difficulty. They cash in on the nostalgia factor, but don't seem to care at all about what actually made those classic games great. They can barely hold a candle to the original SMB, let alone 3 or World.

Generations was clearly made by people that wanted to both honor the franchise and make a great game.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I've been playing Generations a couple weeks now and I'm gonna say something I never thought I'd ever say: I wish Nintendo would make a Mario game as good as this Sonic game.
    Both NSMB games were a joke in terms of level design and difficulty. They cash in on the nostalgia factor, but don't seem to care at all about what actually made those classic games great. They can barely hold a candle to the original SMB, let alone 3 or World.

Generations was clearly made by people that wanted to both honor the franchise and make a great game.

Have you played 3D Land? The first half of the game is pretty easy, but it actually has some difficult levels in the special worlds. Although it does have a weird obsession with putting a raccoon tail on everything.

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    the system requirements for that sonic 2 hd fangame are higher than sonic generations

they're higher than crysis 2

what the hell

Beasteh on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    the system requirements for that sonic 2 hd fangame are higher than sonic generations

what the hell

Blast processing.

Peewi wrote: »

Have you played 3D Land? The first half of the game is pretty easy, but it actually has some difficult levels in the special worlds. Although it does have a weird obsession with putting a raccoon tail on everything.

I haven't played it yet, though I have heard that it does have some difficult stuff in it.
    The raccoon tail thing is part of the problem I mentioned earlier though. "Hey guys, look at how retro we are - we brought the raccoon suit back! ....oh wait, you wanted it to fly?" *rapidly departs room*

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular

what the hell

hella trojans

• BullioBullio Registered User regular

what the hell

hella trojans

The code's been altered so badly in such a way that AV software throws up false positives. I'd argue that a program that does such a thing is a mess that shouldn't be played regardless.

steam_sig.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

I haven't played it yet, though I have heard that it does have some difficult stuff in it.
    The raccoon tail thing is part of the problem I mentioned earlier though. "Hey guys, look at how retro we are - we brought the raccoon suit back! ....oh wait, you wanted it to fly?" *rapidly departs room*

Wait, wasn't it the P-Wing that made you fly? I thought the Raccoon suit turned you into a rock or something? :P

Oh brilliant
    P-wing gave you infinite flight. Racoon tail and Tanooki suit let you fly if you got up to speed. Tanooki also had the statue thing, which I think is in 3D land somehow.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    P-wing gave you infinite flight. Racoon tail and Tanooki suit let you fly if you got up to speed. Tanooki also had the statue thing, which I think is in 3D land somehow.

And you only get the stone ability after you finish the game, which is mind-numbingly retarded

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Godfather wrote: »
    agoaj wrote: »

And you only get the stone ability after you get half way through the game, which is nice.

Fixed that for you.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Mario will never fly again not like in the 2-D games at least.
    It breaks the game. If you have a cape you only have to play like ten levels in super Mario world and in three while not as pronounced the fact is the raccoon suit and clever use of the cloud and p-wing meant you could get past all the annoying parts of the game.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/angry-video-screwattack/728631

The AVGN reminisces about Sonic the Hedgehog. It's not a review, just him getting nostalgic about it.

And in the video playing behind him, there's something weird going on with the font at the end of Green Hill. Maybe it's an emulator, but he doesn't usually use em...

I can;t get this video to work, it's just a green screen for me.

PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

I can only agree with this in part...

I would absolutely love to see something from Mario on the level of Generations, but while I think perhaps the production values could have been higher on the NSMB games, they were both a blast to me. The level designs seem just fine, in my opinion, and I thought NSMBWii was pretty challenging. I love 'em.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    well while I'd rank Generations above NSMB, the Galaxies are some of the best platformers ever

PNk1Ml4.png
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Oh, don't get me wrong-- I wasn't talking quality on Mario vs. Sonic Generations, but just... I don't know. "Epicness?" "Scope?" I'm fumbling for a term here.

Just playing Generations gave me such an awesome feeling, and I don't want to just say it was "nostalgia," because I think it was more than that. And I want that from Mario.

Oh, and the Galaxies were great, though I think I prefer the first one more. Don't ask me to explain why.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Igort wrote: »

The text saying "Green Hill Zone" is the font from Sonic 2, not Sonic 1.

avgn.png

I really don't like this look for James. It's like Bizarro James cosplaying as Alan Wake.

Maybe it's an intentional part for his movie? :?

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Yeah, I resisted commenting on that picture.

He seems to be shifting focus now that he's successful.

uyvfOQy.png
    You sold out, James.

You sold out.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Yeah, I resisted commenting on that picture.
    He seems to be shifting focus now that he's successful.
    Not really, he's always been about making movies. AVGN wasn't what he started with, it's just the series of his movies that got popular and he's been working on preparations for the current movie of his (filming for which started a few days ago) since something like 2008.
    Essentially, instead of pulling an Angry Birds and just doing what proved successful over and over he's taken what funds he raised and is risking it all on creating something big he's dreamed of making since he was a kid. Even if it's not my thing I can respect him for doing that.

His updates for the past year have, more or less, just been videos posted for the fans (like horror movie reviews, game board reviews and such), since he didn't have time for more than a couple full sized ones.

Glal on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I hate when people are good at something, and it works, and they use this success to shift to doing something else.

See : Penny Arcade.

uyvfOQy.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Rather selfish view.

• ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    I hate when people are good at something, and it works, and they use this success to shift to doing something else.

Better to just churn out the same old shit forever until it grows stale.

PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    Italax wrote: »

Better to just churn out the same old shit forever until it grows stale.

See: Garfield

and that's why we post at http://forums.garfield.com/

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    Glal wrote: »
    Rather selfish view.

I wish nothing but the best for James in this venture, but I also worry what will become of AVGN if his movie bombs. And truth be told, the odds are seriously against him, even if it does end up a well-made and hopefully hilarious video.

I can't help but wonder what will happen if it does end up a success though. Will other internet "celebrities" follow suit? Nostalgia Critic: The Movie? Harry Plinkett Presents Star Wars: Episode I?

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Glal wrote: »
    Rather selfish view.

I wish nothing but the best for James in this venture, but I also worry what will become of AVGN if his movie bombs. And truth be told, the odds are seriously against him, even if it does end up a well-made and hopefully hilarious video.

I can't help but wonder what will happen if it does end up a success though. Will other internet "celebrities" follow suit? Nostalgia Critic: The Movie? Harry Plinkett Presents Star Wars: Episode I?

It's already happened.

Fred: The Movie

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA