As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] East Is Over, and so is this thread.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    I've used the PAX hotels for the past 4 PAXii, and that's how they've all worked.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    The Sheraton, IIRC, charged a single day like 30 days out (or maybe it was just a hold, not a charge). Then the balance was taken care of on check-out.

But for most hotels (or maybe all of them through OnPeak) you will not be charged on reservation. Most also allow for changing/cancelling up to a certain date (usually 14 days out, 30 days out, or even as little as a week out).

• mike923mike923 Registered User regular
    Thanks for the replies! This will make planning much easier :)

• arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    Oh man! Just booked our hotel room for the group! Booked online and so had to pay everything up front so here's to hoping that the group pays me back their alloted amounts before I need to pay for Summer tuition! And hope that everyone promising to go is actually going!

On a good note we got into the Homewood!

I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    ...why didn't you wait for the PAX hotel registration? Cheaper rooms and less likely to get bumped in case of overbooking.

• ComplexityComplexity Registered User regular
    Hey, I guess this isn't directly related to PAX Prime, but idk where to better put it.
    I want to make a Blitzcrank (from LoL) costume for PAX this year, and I need to get a hollow plastic ball for the body. I need it to be a little under 4 feet in diameter (I'm about 6 feet tall.) Does anyone know where I can get one? Preferably online, but I live in the Seattle area.

edited April 2012
    @whypick1
    I did not wait simply because of how quickly things sold out last year. Also I don't believe I can be bumped due to family membership in travel rewards programs.

@complexity
    There is a forum for Pax Prime 2012 cosplays up and running right now if you have costuming questions. That way this forum does not turn into a copy of that one ;)

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    edited April 2012
    Are you talking about a separate forum or a thread on this forum? I couldn't find such a thread with a search. Either way, could you link me to this?
    Thanks

Complexity on
    Thank you whypick1, you found it for me while I napped :)

I should go.
  • KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    I'm looking for an average hotel cost for PAX prime for.. I dunno, 5 days. I normally would specify walking distance, but I have no idea at all if that's sane for the area- it might be the equivalent of asking for a pet llama to be delivered to my room.

I'll do the research myself if need be, of course, but I figured y'all probably have researched it to death. I'm not looking to go cheap- I live barely 4 miles (or 2 hours via public transport) from the convention center in Boston, so I have stayed at a hotel every single PAX East. I'm just peeking into the price ranges of Prime to consider going this year, or next year, as I'd love to go, and I'd get out of anniversary, Chrismas, and possibly birthday presents if I went "So.. we're getting on a plane and you're going to like it." and we showed up at Prime. Really it's mostly because we'd both love it, but I need to figure out numbers, and being used to Boston prices (which are insane) I'm just curious as to what I'd be looking at.

Post here, or PM me, or harrass the tall man in a pirate hat with pikachu ears and a black cloak at PAX east. Whatever, I'm not picky how I get the info, I'd just he appreciative if I got it. :P

Anywho, thanks again!

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    @whypick1
    I did not wait simply because of how quickly things sold out last year. Also I don't believe I can be bumped due to family membership in travel rewards programs.

Here's hoping it doesn't happen, but you totally can be. (see: the story about the oakland raiders and the sheraton).

Kiashien wrote: »
    I'm looking for an average hotel cost for PAX prime for.. I dunno, 5 days. I normally would specify walking distance, but I have no idea at all if that's sane for the area- it might be the equivalent of asking for a pet llama to be delivered to my room.

Unlike Boston, the WSCC is actually in downtown proper, so everything's basically within walking distance.

Expect to pay about $200/night after taxes for the PAX hotel rate.

@zerzhul I know it is still a possibility but my group's absolute worse case scenario is no hotel which just means we stay at my sister's apartment since she lives in Seattle. Plus it's not like they can bump us and not provide either other accomodations or a refund.

I should go.
  • KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Kiashien wrote: »

Unlike Boston, the WSCC is actually in downtown proper, so everything's basically within walking distance.

Expect to pay about $200/night after taxes for the PAX hotel rate.

Thank you!

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
    @zerzhul I know it is still a possibility but my group's absolute worse case scenario is no hotel which just means we stay at my sister's apartment since she lives in Seattle. Plus it's not like they can bump us and not provide either other accomodations or a refund.

You're absolutely right :) I just didn't want you to think that there was zero possibility of a bump.

edited April 2012
    Oh no, i'm not deluded enough to think there is zero possibility lol.

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
  • otcpdxotcpdx Bidniz Manager fer Old Town Computers PDXRegistered User new member
    edited April 2012
    Hey, I am trying to get in contact with someone about sponsorship questions, but not getting a lot of response from pax_questions@paxsite.com. If there is an official PAX Prime affiliated person checking these forums, I'd love to talk to you. Feel free to PM me, or email me @ the email on my forum profile. Thanks in advance.

otcpdx on
  • otcpdxotcpdx Bidniz Manager fer Old Town Computers PDXRegistered User new member
    Derp. I did not realize Pax East was in 3 days. I guess I will just be a bit more patient.....

• BinnyBinny Whidbey Island, WARegistered User regular
    What are our options when it comes to finding out when preregistration starts for PAX 2012?

Binny wrote: »
    What are our options when it comes to finding out when preregistration starts for PAX 2012?

Follow http://twitter.com/official_pax

• sarge1445sarge1445 Registered User regular
    for 2 people how much in the sheraton per night with the pax discount (rough estimate)

I AM THE VAMPIRE
    sarge1445 wrote: »
    for 2 people how much in the sheraton per night with the pax discount (rough estimate)

$170-200/night

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Anyone remember how much Homewood Suites cost per night at the PAX rates?
    Oh man! Just booked our hotel room for the group! Booked online and so had to pay everything up front so here's to hoping that the group pays me back their alloted amounts before I need to pay for Summer tuition! And hope that everyone promising to go is actually going!

On a good note we got into the Homewood!
    oh man what you have to pay upfront? errrrg I might have to wait then, so hard to get the dates I want if i wait

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • LaemkralLaemkral Captain Punch King Chester, VARegistered User regular
    I graduate my Captain's course on August 25th, PAX Prime is 6 days later? I don't care WHERE I get assigned next, I am taking the leave to go to Seattle and rock out at PAX.

Avatar courtesy of MKR, and the strip I appeared in.
  • EittieEittie Registered User new member
    edited April 2012
    I'm terribly sorry for being a beginner to this Expo but I was wondering if PAX Prime really is sold out (from this page: http://prime.paxsite.com/registration.php) or if tickets go out, a month or so from now, like what the other posts in this thread say. Thanks!

Eittie on
  • mike923mike923 Registered User regular
    Eittie wrote: »
    I'm terribly sorry for being a beginner to this Expo but I was wondering if PAX Prime really is sold out (from this page: http://prime.paxsite.com/registration.php) or if tickets go out, a month or so from now, like what the other posts in this thread say. Thanks!

They haven't even gone on sale yet. That site is for last year's, and will be updated (most likely) in the coming weeks. Rest assured you are still ok!

• EittieEittie Registered User new member
    mike923 wrote: »
    Eittie wrote: »

They haven't even gone on sale yet. That site is for last year's, and will be updated (most likely) in the coming weeks. Rest assured you are still ok!

Oh, thank you! Sorry for bugging you.

Laemkral wrote: »
    I graduate my Captain's course on August 25th, PAX Prime is 6 days later? I don't care WHERE I get assigned next, I am taking the leave to go to Seattle and rock out at PAX.

Inb4 you get assigned to Edmonds, Washington, like a boss.

• AmberStarAmberStar SeattleRegistered User regular
    I've only made it to one PAX ("starving artist" ain't just a figure of speech), but had a blast and have been looking for a way to get back again. Was at a mixer for bands last week, talking to a guy from The Slants. He mentioned they play anime cons and talked about what might qualify a band to play cons. And, long story short, I'm now looking to see if my band can play cons. Not just because I'm a geek (and how awesome to play for people who don't think that's something I should feel bad about!), but apparently that I was on a Magic card might mean I have a chance. I looked for info on how to "apply" to play PAX and the only thing I found was a "get thee to the forums" note. So, here I am, hoping to find that people would be interested in having us play. Yay? Nay? Possiblay?

Here's the Magic card

And here's the band site

And here's my "proof of identity". :)

Either way, I'll be back at PAX someday. Was way too fun to only do once!

• LaemkralLaemkral Captain Punch King Chester, VARegistered User regular
    Complexity wrote: »
    Laemkral wrote: »

Inb4 you get assigned to Edmonds, Washington, like a boss.

Fort Lewis, WA near Tacoma, that's where I'm trying to go. Being near PAX is 50% of the reason it's my first choice.

Avatar courtesy of MKR, and the strip I appeared in.
  • CrogothCrogoth Registered User regular
    when will planning for PAXTrain start? anxious to get my tickets and start planning asap.

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    AmberStar wrote: »
    I've only made it to one PAX ("starving artist" ain't just a figure of speech), but had a blast and have been looking for a way to get back again. Was at a mixer for bands last week, talking to a guy from The Slants. He mentioned they play anime cons and talked about what might qualify a band to play cons. And, long story short, I'm now looking to see if my band can play cons. Not just because I'm a geek (and how awesome to play for people who don't think that's something I should feel bad about!), but apparently that I was on a Magic card might mean I have a chance. I looked for info on how to "apply" to play PAX and the only thing I found was a "get thee to the forums" note. So, here I am, hoping to find that people would be interested in having us play. Yay? Nay? Possiblay?

Here's the Magic card

And here's the band site

And here's my "proof of identity". :)

Either way, I'll be back at PAX someday. Was way too fun to only do once!
    My only guess is submitting to this site? http://panels.paxsite.com/ Also, if you contacted @Robert Khoo , he could help you out.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • AmberStarAmberStar SeattleRegistered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    My only guess is submitting to this site? http://panels.paxsite.com/ Also, if you contacted @Robert Khoo , he could help you out.

Cool! Thanks :)

• Marc MadnessMarc Madness Registered User regular
    I have a friend I will bringing to PAX and this will be his first time attending. My friend is in a wheelchair. I know about getting a special medical pass for him, what I didn't know was how to go about getting a wheelchair accessible hotel room. I always get my PAX hotel room through OnPeak when I buy my badge. What I didn't know/remember is if there are options for selecting specific hotel rooms that are wheelchair accessible. I don't know/remember if OnPeak has a block of wheelchair accessible rooms that they also set aside. Basically all my friend needs is an accessible bathroom and extra space to maneuver to be able to get to his bed.

Thank you all for your help/input

• gear02gear02 Registered User new member
    Btw I just checked the Sheraton for PAX and I think the entire building is reserved. No rooms available through their website. The Grand Hyatt has some rooms, though it says they can't guarantee singles or doubles (e.g. normal rooms are probably reserved as well).

Anyone remember last year when after PAX East did PAX prime start their ticket and hotel sales? I assume the team will take a week off at least :P

I have a friend I will bringing to PAX and this will be his first time attending. My friend is in a wheelchair. I know about getting a special medical pass for him, what I didn't know was how to go about getting a wheelchair accessible hotel room. I always get my PAX hotel room through OnPeak when I buy my badge. What I didn't know/remember is if there are options for selecting specific hotel rooms that are wheelchair accessible. I don't know/remember if OnPeak has a block of wheelchair accessible rooms that they also set aside. Basically all my friend needs is an accessible bathroom and extra space to maneuver to be able to get to his bed.

Thank you all for your help/input

The best thing is likely to call OnPeak and speak to someone instead of using the online system. You will be able to carefully explain your concern and they should be able to help you resolve it without any guesswork.

gear02 wrote: »
    Btw I just checked the Sheraton for PAX and I think the entire building is reserved. No rooms available through their website. The Grand Hyatt has some rooms, though it says they can't guarantee singles or doubles (e.g. normal rooms are probably reserved as well).

Anyone remember last year when after PAX East did PAX prime start their ticket and hotel sales? I assume the team will take a week off at least :P

Usually things start up for the next pax about a month-ish after the most recent pax. This could vary though. Follow http://twitter.com/official_pax to know for sure.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Yeah, damn, the Sheraton is completely booked (aside from the PAX reserved rooms).

Also, I might recommend that this year the crew update the site sometime after PAX to reflect that PAX is over and that badges will become available after East. I had a couple friends who didn't know better freak the hell out when they saw the "all sold out" from last year.

• tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    Eh, I probably shouldn't delurk this early but @Small Lady, I would suggest something about the overflow room for streaming the Main theater stuff (since it seems they'll do that again if East is any indication.) There were a few things where my wife and I didn't care to actually be in the theater, so we skipped lines and went in there. IIRC, it did fill up a few times, but well after the main theater, and usually w/o need to line up before hand. (To each his own on the main theater thing, but if not for twitter we'd have been ill informed.)

Also since apparently the workings of OnePeak are ill understood, perhaps an FAQ on that.

@Mcdermott
    I wouldn't worry about the Sheraton being booked, as I understand these things (from people I know who used to work in this industry) they're well versed in what's going on where. Better to just cut those rooms off from booking now, rather than deal with "bumps" later. (The bookable rooms were because you never sell 100% of your rooms to a 3rd party, or at all for that matter, lest a pipe break in one room and you have no where to relocate the poor people.

By the By, Sign up for you hotel of choice's reward club. I will (inevitably) regret saying this, but last year as members of the club we were offered (by a hotel not named) the option to join forces with anyone we knew who had a second room at [said hotel] to upgrade to a Suite for [X] Dollars (the value was a bit confusing but it was either "The combined value of what both of us were paying" or "The value of what one of us were paying." either way 0 cost increase). They were trying to free up rooms quickly. Sadly my wife and I (being new to this game as it were) had no such friends and thus did not upgrade (thankfully someone did because we needed to extend our reservation through Sunday night, when originally we planned to stay with friends.)

Ah and I'll say this now (rather than later) but, despite my forum persona, I suck at the whole "meat space" thing, so if I see you and don't acknowledge, that's my oddity. Walk up, give a big hug and say "TSR!" and I might come out of my shell (or I'll run away, I've done that too. I'm a really really strange bird.) Someday, in a more OT forum, I'll tell you the story of how my failure to go from "Online" to "meat space" actually lead to me meeting (and creeping out) my (now) wife.