As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Path of Exile] They might have forgotten to tell you that you're in the beta.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    This is a fun game. I played an hour or so of Ranger, the 'pure' ranged class. Game basically has three divisions: melee, ranged, and magic. There's a pure class for each, and 2 more hybrids. The magic/ranged class isn't there yet.

The three types also give you three different kinds of damage reduction: armor, evasion and energy shield (think Halo). All your class does is determine where you start on that massive skill tree. So you could take a Marauder (melee) and make him a magic character, you'd just be a few levels behind. All skills come from socketed gems, which mainly seem to be quest rewards. Gems are free to unsocket and resocket, so you could trade for them or pass them to alts.

There is no gold. Everything is sold for fractions of ID scrolls, or transmutation orbs, or similar items. It is very hard to build up any 'equity' in game. I keep running out of scrolls, and you can't really buy them with anything but white items, which is kind of lame.

• MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    So what's going on with the linked equipment sockets, anyway? Is there modifier notmateria like one would expect or do the links bind regular notmateria or what?

Monger wrote: »
    So what's going on with the linked equipment sockets, anyway? Is there modifier notmateria like one would expect or do the links bind regular notmateria or what?

From what I was reading in chat, there are support gems. I never saw any though.

Yeah, if you liked FF7 or 10, you should check this game out. It has both materia and sphere grid.

• Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Yea, one of the later act 1 quests will give you your first support gem. They are things like add fire damage, life steal, projectile speed, etc. They will only modify the skill they are linked to.... oh and there is a difference between an item with two sockets and two sockets that are linked.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    I played this a little while ago, so things may have changed, but:

I really did not like the skill tree's implementation. Yes, it is very large and visually impressive - but mechanically speaking it felt a bit flat to me. You could sort-of tell that they did as little streamlining as possible in order to establish it.

The game looks amazing, though. Not just 'amazing for an indie title', either - it could easily go head to head with a AAA title in the production value department.

With Love and Courage
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    Had fun today. Will start back up tomorrow. Duelist to 12 and witch to 4.

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I've been in the beta for months and I think the game has potential but it just can't hold my interest for very long. They need to make some serious strides towards helping people understand and work with the punch-in-the-face that is the passives-tree. It's a game design crime that they shove that fucking thing in the face of a level 2 player a minute into the game. The UI is coming along nicely but I find that the in-game graphics are fairly bland and make for a good illustration of the aesthetic and mechanical reasons for why Diablo 3 looks the way it does.

I'm keeping it on my radar but I think the game suffers most badly from severe lack of actual skill gems, and the ones they do have are super boring (most skills are very underwhelming "stand and deliver" type simple attacks, which look positively primitive compared to the very mobile and kinetic skills that D3 has been cultivating). The devs have said more skills are on the way though, so we'll see.

The game is full of interesting design ideas, but they need to put some serious work into the tuning and variety to actually get it to be fun enough.

Scosglen on
  • spitfirekspitfirek Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I like the game, even w/o any story. I don't read quest filler text anyway, so I just see quests as XP/rewards. I like to min/max and with a passive skill tree that big, it will keep me busy for awhile. The only downside Im seeing so far is that I want more orbs of X to make my gear perfect... but I can't always get everything I want, especially when RNG is involved.

Although, it seems you need a LOT of memory to play... Ive had it crash 2x on me so far after going from act 1 to act 2 saying that I didn't have enough memory(even though I had more than a gig open at the times).

spitfirek on
    steam_sig.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    the skill tree is WAY better than it used to be btw

lots of notable and unique nodes now, much less " OH HEY ANOTHER 6% FIRE DAMAGE NODE

obF2Wuw.png
    the skill tree is WAY better than it used to be btw

lots of notable and unique nodes now, much less " OH HEY ANOTHER 6% FIRE DAMAGE NODE

Yeah, some cool stuff in there. Avatar of Fire sets your cold resist to 0, turns your physical into fire damage. Another one lets you cast with life instead of mana. I saw one that said it applied your shield to minions instead of yourself.

edited April 2012
    So having played a decent number of hours now,

Great!

-I have been saying for years that materia is one of those great ideas that Square occasionally has, but is incapable of properly capitalizing on. Like how it took Dragon Age to make gambits not shit*.
    -Similarly, notspheregrid. It'd be cool it it was a little more deliberate about letting you know what kinds of skills you're going to find in each general zone of the grid, but it's pretty workable as-is.
    -Energy shields are an excellent idea. It also has the side effect of adding variety to the armor types, which is something that Diablo clones don't generally do well or at all.

Significantly Less Great!

-Backtracking to town all the time is fucking awful, but you have to do it because you have to sell off all your junk drops because it's the only decent way to get identification scrolls, and you have to use your town portals sparingly because they cost significantly more identification scrolls than you get back in a single trip. The bitch of it is that I actually like the harsh barter economy. A lot. It's a good sidestep to the worthless pile of gold problem that Diablo 2 and all its strict derivatives have, especially given that all the scrolls and orbs you get back have good uses in addition to trading. That part feels good, and the balance of it makes you a lot more reserved about what you choose to identify, which also feels good. What the game is in dire need of is something that good modern loot-driven ARPGs already have: a way to sell off items in-dungeon. A Torchlight pet wouldn't feel right, but a 'throw this item into your grinder/smelter/trash compactor/diamond-toothed mouth/adamantium gizzard** to break it down' button would make the flow of the game so much more bearable. Just give me something - anything - so that I don't have to trudge back to a waypoint every five minutes. Note: A Deckard Cain is not a good solution. A Deckard Cain is a band aid. If you're going to Deckard Cain, then just drop the identification system entirely, and make a different item your baseline currency.

*Admittedly, they still made you spend skill points to unlock tactics slots, so it was still half-shit. Until they patched it. Modders, I mean. Modders patched that bug.
    **Adamantium Gizzard would be a great band name.

Monger on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    idk man

you barely ever need to identify... well... anything

i go back to town 2-3 times an act, if that

obF2Wuw.png
    I love the barter system, it is harsh but great. I don't ID everything, only stuff that I am pretty sure I will want to keep. ie, if it has the right sockets AND is the right type of gear for me... which isn't often. I am lvl 22 on my witch and on the 3rd quest in act 2 and have 50+ ID scrolls in my stash. Town Portal scrolls are a bit more rare, tis true, but I only use them when I go down a dead end dungeon w/o a way point... so again, not often.

I do wish I had more orbs so I could min/max my gear to my hearts content, but I can live w/o.

steam_sig.png
    spitfirek wrote: »
    I do wish I had more orbs so I could min/max my gear to my hearts content, but I can live w/o.
    You buy orbs with other orbs.

Which you buy with portal scrolls.

Which you buy with identification scrolls.

I have a lot of orbs because I try to ID everything. ID'd stuff tends to sell for orb fragments more.

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    I actually wouldn't mind to be in the closed beta for this after this weekend ends.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    I can't wait for the full version to come out. I'm very interested in seeing what they offer in their cash store. Skins? Extra backpacks?

I really hope it's not scrolls of wisdom. I really like the harsh economy and how you have to pick and choose what you ID. The stash letting you share stuff with other characters is really useful too. Orange bow drops for my witch? Stash it and let my ranger ID it and see if its worth keeping.

I like the unique flavor the key nodes give you. I'm pushing my witch towards the 'kill enemy get 15 mana' one. Her AOE skills are pretty week right now, but I'm hoping if I can get that +15 mana on kill I'll be able to spam more.

Also... weak skills. I'd gladly trade more damage for more mana cost.

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Dyvion wrote: »
    I can't wait for the full version to come out. I'm very interested in seeing what they offer in their cash store. Skins? Extra backpacks?

I really hope it's not scrolls of wisdom. I really like the harsh economy and how you have to pick and choose what you ID. The stash letting you share stuff with other characters is really useful too. Orange bow drops for my witch? Stash it and let my ranger ID it and see if its worth keeping.

I like the unique flavor the key nodes give you. I'm pushing my witch towards the 'kill enemy get 15 mana' one. Her AOE skills are pretty week right now, but I'm hoping if I can get that +15 mana on kill I'll be able to spam more.

I read that they are going to offer new spell/skill animations too.
    Like a fireball that's actually a dragon's head and stuff like that.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah I learned pretty quick that blues are not worth shit, unless you are missing an item in that slot. I only ID yellows and primary weapons if theres a really good chance it will be better.

I made a ton of mistakes like just trying to ID everything and went "broke" fast. Also, I thought the big circles were there on the passive board meaning you had to fill them in order to pick out the big passives. Or you had to fill all the prereq from other trees to move into it. Nope you can bee line around. I wasted a huge amount of skill points :\

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
    Klyka wrote: »
    Dyvion wrote: »

I read that they are going to offer new spell/skill animations too.
    Like a fireball that's actually a dragon's head and stuff like that.

I don't know how much I'd pay for something like that. I appreciate that they don't want to do 'pay to win' but I don't know that I would buy anything they are talking about. Maybe stash space.

• Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah you shouldn't need to return to town that often. Hell, especially if you feel the need to walk back.

My first character, a duelist bow user, had like 10 scrolls of town portal by the end of act 2, and never really had a problem with buying items he wanted. Just have to resist the urge to pick up everything you see drop. I ignored anything that wasn't above a blue/ wasn't something I could use.

Foolish Chaos on
    Wait, you get more for IDed stuff when you sell it? I didn't ever for the first act so I just stopped IDing stuff and sold it as is.

steam_sig.png
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Its not enough more (even for yellows) to pay for the cost of the ID scroll. So never use an ID scroll unless its something you will absolutely use or you know ID'ing it will end you with more then a scrolls worth. Protip: you will never get more then between 1-5/20th's of a scroll out of it. if you get lucky itill come out to be 20/100th's of a scroll.

further protip: white items give you 1/5th's of a scroll, blue's give you 1-3/20th's of a scroll, more depending on what it is ID'd, but only by a few twentieths.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    You guys are uh.. substantially over-estimating the rarity of Scrolls of Wisdom.

At the very beginning, yes, don't waste them on items unless you are looking for something to wear. Beyond that, you should have like a stack of 30 by the end of Act 1 and it will only grow.

Scosglen on
  • AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    After a day of playing with a friend(so keep in mind we were splitting drops), I had 60 wisdom scrolls, 35ish portal scrolls, and 3 columns of random orbs in my inventory.

Breakin barrels erry day. Seriously. Break more barrels/crates/chests/what-have-you. It's not uncommon to have 2 scrolls drop from a single container. Also, only bother ID'ing items that have a chance of being an upgrade to current equipment.

In other news, the announcement about the end of the stress test mentions they are going to start offering store purchases this week and they will come with a beta key. I am....intrigued.

It looks like they're going to launch their cash shop. I'm going to take what I would normally allocate to LoL and put it towards PoE this month. I had 2000 RP sitting on my LoL account for 3 months waiting for something to buy... Yordle support cashed me out. Hopefully they don't pull anything super awesome out of their hat this month.

Scratched my loot whoring itch this weekend with the stress test... now I've got more itches than I started with. That's the problem with scratching itches.

Itching like a junkie with spiders under his skin.

Re: Cash shop
    It's basically ready. We're going to sleep and will then test it and turn it on in the morning (NZ time) I hope!
    Cheapest option is $10US

I think I can swing that. Hopefully they will have it up and running in the next 24 hours.

Booyah, just in time to eat my weekend.

*ahem*

https://www.pathofexile.com/shop/

$10 gets you $10 store credit and a beta key.

edited April 2012
    Goddamn, they have a $1000 pack. But you get a DIAMOND Kiwi!.

You can buy stash space and character slots so far. How many character slots do you get by default?

captaink on
    edited April 2012
    I currently have 4 and didn't buy any extra. Although I could have sworn I only had three when I first logged in. I'm an idiot, I'm talking stash tabs.

Aiserou on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Odd, when I try to load the shop page, it says "You don't have permission to access this area."

And then it shows my characters from the stress test underneath that.

EDIT: Forums mention they're having some problems with processing orders.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    I had 4 stash tabs. I wonder how many you start with after release though.

PMAvers wrote: »
    Odd, when I try to load the shop page, it says "You don't have permission to access this area."

And then it shows my characters from the stress test underneath that.

Give it a minute and you *should* get a key.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Scosglen wrote: »
    You guys are uh.. substantially over-estimating the rarity of Scrolls of Wisdom.

At the very beginning, yes, don't waste them on items unless you are looking for something to wear. Beyond that, you should have like a stack of 30 by the end of Act 1 and it will only grow.

I noticed during the stress test that the weapon and armor quality improvers sell for two scrolls each, so there's also that.

It's weird how those work, though (heck, how everything works). They're rare enough that it would probably be worth your time to buy them from other players, but they also drop for people at any level. I'd think that they'd only really be in high demand for capped characters, but the primary source would be lower-level characters.

But then again, given how everything is stat-locked, is there anything that a high-level character can actually offer a low-level character? I suppose that's an issue for any Diablo-like, does the non-capped economy pretty much not exist at all?

I gave them 10 bucks. See you in game.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    That's one blinged-out diamond kiwi.

Yeah... there's one in the starter town right now. The guy is just AFK with his kiwi out.
    That's what she said.

This discussion has been closed.