As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TERA: Game is out! You should come play it!

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I have a beta code I won't be using. Please send me a PM with what I should say to Ellen at Steve's bar.
    Gotted.

Madpoet on
  • Options
    DyonivanDyonivan Registered User new member
    Just found my CBT5 beta key; they're giving 10,000 away on Reddit (posted yesterday). Go to:
    https://pay.reddit.com/r/TeraOnline/comments/rl57d/10000_tera_beta_codes_for_our_fans_on_reddit/

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Since we literally have only a month to go we should probably talk about what kind of server we are going to once live hits, then decide on a server when the official list is revealed

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    Since we literally have only a month to go we should probably talk about what kind of server we are going to once live hits, then decide on a server when the official list is revealed

I'm pretty set on choosing a PvP server. I don't want to miss out on GvG shenanigans. I'm probably going to try and find out which server 4-chan will be on since I know they'll have a pretty large following and be instrumental in the politics etc.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    I'd be down for a pvp server now that I've gotten a handle on how combat works and flows. I'd just have to convince my non-PA friends

• Options
    I'd be down for a pvp server now that I've gotten a handle on how combat works and flows. I'd just have to convince my non-PA friends

Nice thing is that you can't get ganked easily in this game. They need to dismount to get you and you can dodge their attacks, mount up and ride off. Heck my buddy was playing and a bunch of high levels created a blockade on a low level town. It stumped the lowbies at first until they grouped up en masse and charged the blockade. Massive battle ensues and most of the lowbies get through.

That's the kind of stuff that is epic.

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
  • Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Oh, that's why people were talking about Adult Elin in-game.

April Fools is becoming very formulaic IMHO. At least make it semi plausible, but then I guess they would have to spend the next few months trying to explain to all the idiots that it wasn't real.

Nought on
    On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    While I wish those who want to be on a PvP server all the best, I will never subject myself to that sort've torture. I'll happily go along with either PvE or RP-PvE, wherever people decide.

• Options
    While I wish those who want to be on a PvP server all the best, I will never subject myself to that sort've torture. I'll happily go along with either PvE or RP-PvE, wherever people decide.

Normally I would agree, but with the way targeting works in this game is gives the lower players a much better chance than in other mmo's. Other ones all they do is target you and you are pretty much screwed. In this one once you enter combat you slow down, so as long as you dodge their first attack you are already at a major advantage and can get away.

Granted they can still get you if they sneak up on you, but you can also juke them and hide behind large objects easily as well. It makes the whole thing more interesting and not nearly as frustrating.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    If the initiator is ranged you're also likely screwed.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Glal wrote: »
    If the initiator is ranged you're also likely screwed.

I think archers are the only one that can still get you without too much trouble because they have a lock on, But even then they aren't too hard to escape. It is just that one ability that locks on.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    All they have to do is land a single attack, though, and you can't mount up any more. If they have a friend who's not initiated yet they can just ride up to you and go to town. Unless people plan to run away at the sight of anyone.

• Options
    TheRealDestianTheRealDestian Registered User regular
    I've been toying with the idea of a PvP server, but I'm just not sure I want the hassle.

Also, GvG will be coming to PvE servers. :)

And Oh MAN...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRBAUx7xR-8

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    All they have to do is land a single attack, though, and you can't mount up any more. If they have a friend who's not initiated yet they can just ride up to you and go to town. Unless people plan to run away at the sight of anyone.

You can't attack while mounted either, they have to dismount to hit you which is hard to do if you are mounted. Also they have a red name so you know they are flagged.

I don't know i'm usually very against pvp servers but for me the setup in Tera works out nice even if they try to gank me.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    I am going to main a Berserker.

No way am I rolling on a PVP server lol.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    What you don't like the idea of never being able to go anywhere alone until level 58?

Also
    Kmj1k.jpg
    I'm glad the later tiers of armor move away from the "The less it covers, the stronger it is" But then again humans always had the most conservative plate armor anyway.

Beezel on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    What you don't like the idea of never being able to go anywhere alone until level 58?

Also
    Kmj1k.jpg
    I'm glad the later tiers of armor move away from the "The less it covers, the stronger it is" But then again humans always had the most conservative plate armor anyway.

I have been playing for most of this weekend so I clearly know everything there is to know about this game :) but it seems to me that if Hentai armour is a dealbreaker then this is probably not the game to pick up. One of the things that motivate me to move around is to have the chat window filled with other stuff the Barrens-chat. You would think the Pedo jokes and anti-jokes would get old at some point.

On a barely related note, I got to try warrior, archer and sorcerer this weekend, and if I didn't suck at twitch gameplay I would order now and play a warrior when it goes live.

The archer was really cool. I only got to lvl8 but the attacks feel really meaty and I feel like I'm the one attacking. The Sorc was also nice but I only got to lvl5 so I don't feel like I can complain about it.

I think my starting with the warrior coloured my view of the ranged classes, and also prevented me from trying the other melee classes. I really like the mobility of the warrior, I just wish I was better at spotting telegraphed attacks and was better at working out which to dodge.
    The various buffs also confused me a bit, but I like the concept of most of them. I really hope being invited to CBT4 means I automatically in CBT5, although the knowledge that the characters will be wiped at the end of the weekend might make me less motivated to play.

Hmm, I only got to lvl17 so it might be a good idea to at least try my hand at a BAM. Maybe find some poor, unsuspecting EU PAers and pester them to let me try and tank an instance.

Nought on
    On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Cool, thanks. I really like the commentary in the first video (have only seen that one and the mystic lvl10 fight one so far). Nice to see someone make a not-perfect video and explain what do, what you did and why those two don't match up all the time :)

Warrior really seems nice right now. The movement just feels very good, but I have myself when I take a hit I feel I shouldn't. This mainly happens because I don't have a feel for how long attack animations take. I also need to get better at using the combo system, as I don't really think I have the right follow-ups. Some of that might be helped with getting a few more skills.

Gems seem to be really important, since I go from never thinking about mana to running out depending on how many buffs I have, but I keep forgetting to buy a stack when I'm in town. Found this guide, and it seems to be pretty good. https://forum.tera-europe.com/showthread.php?t=34204

Anyway, I have a few weeks to read up since I'm holding off on pre-ordering since I tend to spend more money than I have on things I don't need :)

Nought on
    On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    Warriors are nice, and are going to be even nicer at launch with the damage buffs and stack system.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Nought wrote: »
    Cool, thanks. I really like the commentary in the first video (have only seen that one and the mystic lvl10 fight one so far). Nice to see someone make a not-perfect video and explain what do, what you did and why those two don't match up all the time :)

Glad you liked them. Watch the "One wrong move" video to see me die horribly.

And yes, Warriors are awesome. Hardest class in the game to play but easily the most rewarding if you can do it well.

TheRealDestian on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    I was leaning towards Amani anyway, but that dance in the OP just cemented it.

I take it servers are split into EU/US with no way to play on the other side's servers?

• Options
    Unfortunately that is the case unless you get an EU/NA account respectively.

• Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    I've been toying with the idea of a PvP server, but I'm just not sure I want the hassle.

Also, GvG will be coming to PvE servers. :)

yeah, consensual GvG. only war if you guys want to~

• Options
    sharing is caring

da4tG.jpg
    N2qub.jpg
    t7Cdm.jpg
    nAHgu.jpg
    FHEs1.jpg
    FUo39.jpg
    SZKUv.jpg
    eWh8B.jpg
    1WapK.jpg
    PZikg.jpg

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Wow, wasn't really feeling the Baraka at first, but those are some pretty boss armor sets for golem dudes.

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I have been playing for most of this weekend so I clearly know everything there is to know about this game :) but it seems to me that if Hentai armour is a dealbreaker then this is probably not the game to pick up. One of the things that motivate me to move around is to have the chat window filled with other stuff the Barrens-chat. You would think the Pedo jokes and anti-jokes would get old at some point.

On a barely related note, I got to try warrior, archer and sorcerer this weekend, and if I didn't suck at twitch gameplay I would order now and play a warrior when it goes live.

The archer was really cool. I only got to lvl8 but the attacks feel really meaty and I feel like I'm the one attacking. The Sorc was also nice but I only got to lvl5 so I don't feel like I can complain about it.

I think my starting with the warrior coloured my view of the ranged classes, and also prevented me from trying the other melee classes. I really like the mobility of the warrior, I just wish I was better at spotting telegraphed attacks and was better at working out which to dodge.
    The various buffs also confused me a bit, but I like the concept of most of them. I really hope being invited to CBT4 means I automatically in CBT5, although the knowledge that the characters will be wiped at the end of the weekend might make me less motivated to play.

Hmm, I only got to lvl17 so it might be a good idea to at least try my hand at a BAM. Maybe find some poor, unsuspecting EU PAers and pester them to let me try and tank an instance.

I think the hate and pedo jokes in-game are worse now than they will be at release, because people are just getting in for free to try the game after managing to get a code from somewhere. At release there will obviously still be tards, but they'll be tards who have paid for the game, so at least want to be there.

I had the same experience as you with the warrior, in that I never felt like I was as good as I should be when it came to dodging. That, combined with the fact that warriors start getting attacks that use health or get stronger with lower health, and I was constantly riding on the edge of dying, and then having to rest.

Archers, however, are definitely for me. I recommend playing one until at least level 10, because at that level you get a couple more tools that really make you feel like a complete badass. I was somewhat un-sold on Archers until that point... they seemed cool but a little 'meh'... but everything changed at level 10.

Just so you know, getting into one CBT in no way allows for you to get into following CBTs, unless you have pre-ordered the game. If you want to get into CBT5, I recommend that you keep on the lookout for another key giveaway, of which there always seems to be many.

• Options
    edited April 2012

Great. Seems like the software the runs the promotion needs a beta.

It either didn't like me because I'm from Europe or it might have been out of codes but been programmed to stay up a certain amount of time.

Can't decide if I want to pre-order :)

4€ seem a little steep just to get 2½ days of demo time that will be wiped out.

Damn, now I'm getting myself psyched for this game and if the last 30 years have taught me anything it's that this is the time my bank account is most at risk :)

Just have to be a big boy and wait for Open Beta.

Btw, saw this video as a response to people complaining that a Warrior tank can't control the movement of the mob it's tanking, like a Lancer can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=F8jpQ07kzw8

Nought on
    On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    ProbadProbad Registered User regular
    Archer bored me stiff for the first couple levels--just plunk, plunk, plunk, plunk, plunk, and then the tree falls over. Thankfully they get a good deal more fun after that (and now my highest level character is an archer).

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Damn, now I'm getting myself psyched for this game and if the last 30 years have taught me anything it's that this is the time my bank account is most at risk :)

Well, as long as you don't go nuts and buy lots of chronoscrolls, it can't be THAT bad...

I sprung for the collectors edition (digital) because this is one pretty kitty...
    frostlion.png

TheRealDestian on
  • Options
    According to twitter, the TERA guys are going to be at PAX East.
    And wow yeah, 30 days to go guys. I guess it's really happening.

• Options
    According to twitter, the TERA guys are going to be at PAX East.
    And wow yeah, 30 days to go guys. I guess it's really happening.

Less that that really.

Open Beta starts in 16days and then head start is in 25days.

HOLY CRAP ONLY 2 WEEKS UNTIL WE CAN KEEP OUR CHARACTERS!!!

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    Sexxxxxy!

http://tera.enmasse.com/news/posts/c...a-test-4-recap

Enchantment Changes: We are removing the failure aspect of weapon and armor enchanting. We'll have more specifics on what the changes will look like, but after countless forum posts and a lot of internal discussions about this issue, we feel y'all are going to be very happy with this change.

More Gear/Skill Options: Who doesn't like more options? With the addition of new green crystals that you can attach to accessories and advanced glyphs to further customize and tune your skills, you can now create an even more personalized—and powerful—character.

New Prologue Zone: We want to teach people about the lore behind the Island of Dawn (and throw them into some action), so we created an entirely new tutorial zone that servers as the precursor to the current Island of Dawn experience.

Voice Additions: We've gone through the entire game and added new and distinct voices to NPCs, reworked cutscenes for better quality. We also added a few voices you may recognize for Samael and Fraya…

Sealing Enhancements: We're introducing the ability to lock the random attributes earned from identifying enigmatic items. This chant will let you pick which attributes you like and lock them for your gear, while at the same time letting you change the attributes you don't like until you get the combo that is right for you.

• Options
    I like all of those changes.

Steam
  • Options
    So did anyone else get one of these emails?

<character name>,

As an accomplished mystic and an elite member of the Federation, you have earned the right to recruit companions and guildmates to join you on your journey:

• Options
    So did anyone else get one of these emails?

<character name>,

As an accomplished mystic and an elite member of the Federation, you have earned the right to recruit companions and guildmates to join you on your journey:

I dunno. I can't check my Gmail account from work.

Steam
  • Options
    Sexxxxxy!

http://tera.enmasse.com/news/posts/c...a-test-4-recap

Enchantment Changes: We are removing the failure aspect of weapon and armor enchanting. We'll have more specifics on what the changes will look like, but after countless forum posts and a lot of internal discussions about this issue, we feel y'all are going to be very happy with this change.

More Gear/Skill Options: Who doesn't like more options? With the addition of new green crystals that you can attach to accessories and advanced glyphs to further customize and tune your skills, you can now create an even more personalized—and powerful—character.

New Prologue Zone: We want to teach people about the lore behind the Island of Dawn (and throw them into some action), so we created an entirely new tutorial zone that servers as the precursor to the current Island of Dawn experience.

Voice Additions: We've gone through the entire game and added new and distinct voices to NPCs, reworked cutscenes for better quality. We also added a few voices you may recognize for Samael and Fraya…

Sealing Enhancements: We're introducing the ability to lock the random attributes earned from identifying enigmatic items. This chant will let you pick which attributes you like and lock them for your gear, while at the same time letting you change the attributes you don't like until you get the combo that is right for you.

"The plebs in the offical forums will look up and cry "CASUAAALS!" EME will look down and whisper, "U mad?""

This discussion has been closed.