As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Comic Book Questions Thread International. Of America.

• Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Cool, thanks.

Also, where should I pick up the current Iron Man mythos?

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    More of a comic shop question.

I found a shop near me and placed orders for April. After that, I found a better shop and started subscribing over there. What do I do about the other shop where I originally had orders? Can I cancel them? Is it too late to cancel for this week? Should I just never go back there?

I don't see the problem since you pay when you pick up your issues and I figure they will sell whatever I don't pick up. What is the right thing to do?

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Chances are they won't sell what you don't pick up, unless it's an in demand issue like Batman or AvX. The right thing to do is to finish off April with the first LCS and then move over to the other place.

Don't be one of those people who order stuff and never pick it up, it's a kick in the butt to the shop (surprised the shop didn't make you give a credit card number, that's what mine does to charge every month if you don't pick up your stuff)

Yea, they don't take anything, although I am pretty sure they have all my other info (address, email). I paid like $10 for a membership or some crap. I just don't like the shop now that I know where another one is. The place is just so friggin small and I don't think the people there are really up on what is out.

I can go to the newer shop, actually walk around and breath, and converse with the owner.

I'll email the new shop and say to hold off on certain April issues. There are still things I didn't subscribe to that I need to get, so I won't really be bailing on that new store.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Cool, thanks.

Also, where should I pick up the current Iron Man mythos?

Well Warren Ellis' Iron Man: Extremis is essential, from there you're going to want to pick up Matt Fraction's run either with the Omnibus or the first trade, The Five Nightmares and go from there.

Dark Avengers or Secret Invasion any good? They are .99 on Comixology.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    secret invasion sucked

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The art was pretty good. I don't remember what happened in issues 4-6, though, but the words "filler" and "dead weight" come to mind.

Crimsondude on
    What about Dark Avengers? I could be making this up, but didn't people enjoy that? I was interested since I am pretty sure I heard Venom is a part of it.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Dark Avengers itself was pretty fun, oddly it stayed somewhat separate from the Seige/Dark Reign crossover that created them, the whole run was fairly self contained and wasn't half bad. and only leaned into the Seige crossover in the last couple issues.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    What about Dark Avengers? I could be making this up, but didn't people enjoy that? I was interested since I am pretty sure I heard Venom is a part of it.

Pick up the first arc 1-6, and the second 10-12, 7-8 is a crossover with Uncanny X-Men, 9 is a crossover with Secret Warriors, and 13-16 is siege stuff

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    SHIELD and King City arrived today, well actually Saturday, according to the box, but I couldn't get to post office in time. Anyway, SHIELD looks incredible, aside from looking like it is another White Guy Saves Reality thing, which isn't so much bothersome as it is bland, but whatever. How awesome was Secret Warriors? I saw it advertised on the inside cover.

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Yea, they don't take anything, although I am pretty sure they have all my other info (address, email). I paid like $10 for a membership or some crap. I just don't like the shop now that I know where another one is. The place is just so friggin small and I don't think the people there are really up on what is out.

I can go to the newer shop, actually walk around and breath, and converse with the owner.

I'll email the new shop and say to hold off on certain April issues. There are still things I didn't subscribe to that I need to get, so I won't really be bailing on that new store.

Did you ever get to Showcase Comics

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Got an e-mail with the subject line "Marvel Comic Book Cash". Inside is a link to a site with all of that in the URL and a code that supposedly gives me $5 towards Marvel Comics or Graphic Novels. I know about the $5 promo thing Marvel is doing or just recently did, but the problem is that I haven't bought any comics that would qualify me for this. So naturally I'm inclined to believe this is a scam. Am I correct? E-mail is from tpgcustomer@tpgny.com, which I've never heard of nor have any idea why they'd be e-mailing me codes for Marvel books.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    that's the same email I got today, but I haven't tested it yet.

Googling that e-mail address gets a bunch of shady as Hell results.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    How many issues of SHIELD have been published? I have the trade and want more!

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »
    Got an e-mail with the subject line "Marvel Comic Book Cash". Inside is a link to a site with all of that in the URL and a code that supposedly gives me $5 towards Marvel Comics or Graphic Novels. I know about the $5 promo thing Marvel is doing or just recently did, but the problem is that I haven't bought any comics that would qualify me for this. So naturally I'm inclined to believe this is a scam. Am I correct? E-mail is from tpgcustomer@tpgny.com, which I've never heard of nor have any idea why they'd be e-mailing me codes for Marvel books.

That is the valid address they send the 5 dollar coupon codes from, so it is legit.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    SHIELD and King City arrived today, well actually Saturday, according to the box, but I couldn't get to post office in time. Anyway, SHIELD looks incredible, aside from looking like it is another White Guy Saves Reality thing, which isn't so much bothersome as it is bland, but whatever. How awesome was Secret Warriors? I saw it advertised on the inside cover.

Secret Warriors is pretty damn awesome. In all likelihood, if you like SHIELD, you'll like it.

pygsig.png
  • ThePrimmThePrimm Registered User regular
    Does anyone read the sixth gun? I like westerns wondering if its worth a purchase.

edited April 2012
    YES! YES! A MILLION TIMES YES!

Have you read the free first issue (PDF)?

Crimsondude on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i read the first volume of it, it was pretty decent

the art wasn't my favorite but the writing was alright

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Own the first trade thanks to Secret Sentry. It's a good yarn, although I will say I sometimes felt as if the art, while very competent, wasn't entirely well-suited to the tale being told.

You're killing me, smalls.

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Crimsondude I can kill you more

I own the first trade and never read it

(I lost it somewhere)

huntresssig.jpg
  • ThePrimmThePrimm Registered User regular
    YES! YES! A MILLION TIMES YES!

Have you read the free first issue (PDF)?

I will check it out thanks.

Arivia wrote: »
    Crimsondude I can kill you more

I own the first trade and never read it

(I lost it somewhere)

I can accept this since you just didn't get a chance to read it before you lost it.

Oooh. Speaking of which, volume 3 comes out in less than three weeks. Yay!

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    So the new DCU doesn't have fleshed out versions of Earth and what not yet?

But all of the old Earth-1 etc is gone?

steam_sig.png
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    ThePrimm wrote: »
    Does anyone read the sixth gun? I like westerns wondering if its worth a purchase.

It's one of my favorite books right now. Definitely check out that free first issue.

• noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    For one of my education classes, I'm tasked with creating a 6 week unit. So like a good nerd, I'm doing it around superheroes. Part of the requirement is that I have a piece of art-which you would think would be easy, to do, but I'm sort of struggling a bit with it.

Do you guys have a single issue, or piece of(relatively famous)artwork that would best represent the 'idea', or an interesting version of the superhero archetype?

So far, I'm thinking something from Invincible, or an Alex Ross painting of some sort....

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    noir_blood wrote: »
    For one of my education classes, I'm tasked with creating a 6 week unit. So like a good nerd, I'm doing it around superheroes. Part of the requirement is that I have a piece of art-which you would think would be easy, to do, but I'm sort of struggling a bit with it.

Do you guys have a single issue, or piece of(relatively famous)artwork that would best represent the 'idea', or an interesting version of the superhero archetype?

So far, I'm thinking something from Invincible, or an Alex Ross painting of some sort....

I'm not the biggest Superman fan, but you can't do much better than All-Star Superman for that here it is flavour. So, this: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110325064817/marvel_dc/images/2/27/Superman_All-Star_Superman_007.jpg

huntresssig.jpg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Quitely's Superman is pretty iconic in a modern sense, yeah

alternatively you have the Dark Knight Returns cover with Batman silhouetted by lightning

This is one of the more famous pieces of superhero art out there:

X-Men_1.jpg

Same with this one, which is copied everywhere and is what modern generations think when they hear the word Spider-Man:

Spiderman1cover.jpg

It made Spider-Man much more spider-like in how he moves about, as opposed to the 60's and 70's Spidey who just happened to be a guy in a spider-suit.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    noir_blood wrote: »

You don't get much more iconic than the cover to Action Comics #1, or this Superman cover. Superman v.s. Spider-Man is also a great one. And I think any cover that has Superman breaking out of chains is iconic as Hell.

If you want an interesting version of the superhero archetype, I think a bunch of the JLI covers would qualify. They usually had the heroes placed in situations that seemed atypical, for the time.

edited April 2012
    TexiKen wrote: »
    This is one of the more famous pieces of superhero art out there:
    X-Men_1.jpg
    Yes, but it's an homage to the original X-Men #1 cover from 1963:
    X-Men_1_1963.jpg

BTW, how awesome is it that Angel's rocking a bazooka on that cover?

Hensler wrote: »
    ThePrimm wrote: »

It's one of my favorite books right now. Definitely check out that free first issue.

I read it in trades, but this is awesome. The Sixth Gun #21 is an homage to G.I. Joe #21, the famous "silent" issue. Plus it looks amazing.

Crimsondude on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    So I was in my lcs yesterday, picking up the first Uncanny X-Force trade for my buddy's birthday, when I spied with my little eye a comic called "Mystery in Space" by Jim Starlin. Everyone knows that Jim Starlin is the man, and the protaganist, Captain Comet, seemed pretty cool, so I picked it up.

It's very enjoyable! I know that there is a second volume, and I was wondering whether you guys knew if there were any more, or whether Captain Comet appears in any other series after Mystery in Space? Thanks.

He was in the Rann/Thanagar War (which was pre MiS), along with the follow up Holy War story.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    So I just got a Kindle Fire and I noticed the library for the tablet has all of Fables so I'm finally going to delve into that series. I won't bother with the Jack of Fables series or volume 13 crossover story but my question is how does the series go after volume 11? Are the post-Adversary stories good so far? Keep in mind I've already read the first two volumes so I know the general theme of the book.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    I've liked the stuff, there is a lull right before issue #100 but from then on I think it gets the old magic from volumes 5-10.

You can still check out the Literals story, Jack of Fables folds completely into Fables for it, and it's all contained without having to worry about Jack (Bigby actually kicked Jack out of his own title during that story, it was a nice touch).

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Eh, I might get volume 13 then since it has the Literals miniseries.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!