As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX EAST 2012 FAQ AND INFORMATION THREAD. (PLEASE ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• Options
    KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    How much is parking?

Can I leave my car parked overnight for all the days? I am planning on parking there and taking a shuttle to go to the Hotel.

There is no overnight parking at the BCEC, sorry. Price is $12/day.

JfqWFk8.png
  • Options
    SpidermanCosplaySpidermanCosplay Registered User new member
    Hey, does anybody know if you have to pay for the concerts in the Jamspace if you already got a Pax badge?

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    Hey, does anybody know if you have to pay for the concerts in the Jamspace if you already got a Pax badge?

all events within pax are covered by your pax badge (jamspace included).

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote: »

all events within pax are covered by your pax badge (jamspace included).

This isn't precisely correct, as some tournaments have an entry fee (Magic: the Gathering being a prime example). But for the most part, unless an event states otherwise, all you need is a badge to gain entry. It's all part pf PAX.

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Magic is the only tournament I am aware of that has an entry fee, and that's only because you have to buy the decks to participate.

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    GrimmTrixXGrimmTrixX Registered User regular
    SmallLady wrote: »
    GrimmTrixX wrote: »
    Last year on saturday Media people were able to go into the exhibition hall at 9am instead of 10am, is it the same day this time? I am going as media and I just wanted to know from any other Media badge people here so I don't miss out. I mean i SHOULD be there around 8 am each day anyway but just wanted to see if it was known yet.

please find out from your media contact at Reed Expo.

:)

Reed Expo?

• Options
    GrimmTrixXGrimmTrixX Registered User regular
    nevermind, i just noticed my email had the link to pax media site, its friday. so i guess ill be leaving an hour earlier than i wanted on friday to make sure i have time to get in line, get my badge, and head into the hall at 9am. kind of sucks though cuz last year we had all friday to see what was where and what lines filled up fast. now I wont have that luxury so i may look at some stuff then sat or sunday find out there's a huge line for other things i wanted to see but didnt expect to be a line. oh well. should be thankful i get to go in an hour early at all.

• Options
    thr4sherthr4sher Registered User regular
    Kilonum wrote: »

last year they had weekend passes which let you leave your car there the entire time. are they not doing that this time?

• Options
    VinzinVinzin Virginia BeachRegistered User new member
    My friend hasn't received his three 1-day passes in the mail, but he recently found out that he won't be attending due to financial reasons. He was going to "sell" me his tickets and mail them so the passes don't go to waste and he gets his refund (I was too late to get mine in the mail), but they never arrived in the mail for him. My question is if I can pick up his passes at the door considering he won't be able to make it to Boston if he e-mails me his confirmation number he received when he purchased his passes.

• Options
    MagnifiedXMagnifiedX [E] PC Security Boston, MARegistered User regular
    thr4sher wrote: »

last year they had weekend passes which let you leave your car there the entire time. are they not doing that this time?

They are not doing that this time.

• Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    Vinzin wrote: »
    My friend hasn't received his three 1-day passes in the mail, but he recently found out that he won't be attending due to financial reasons. He was going to "sell" me his tickets and mail them so the passes don't go to waste and he gets his refund (I was too late to get mine in the mail), but they never arrived in the mail for him. My question is if I can pick up his passes at the door considering he won't be able to make it to Boston if he e-mails me his confirmation number he received when he purchased his passes.

they only way he could give you his pass is if he hands it to you himself.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    CohibaaCohibaa Registered User new member
    So if I want to do the Munchcathalon on Friday, what's the details? Is there a limit on players, is there a sub-registration, show up early?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Cohibaa wrote: »
    So if I want to do the Munchcathalon on Friday, what's the details? Is there a limit on players, is there a sub-registration, show up early?

What in the world is a Munchcathalon?

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Cohibaa wrote: »

At Prime we had tournament signups posted an hour or two before the actual tournament for most of our tournament events. I would definitely check with TT HQ early in the day to find out the exact details of how it will be handled this year.

zerzhul: The Munchcathalon is our vicious gauntlet of the card game Munchkin by Steve Jackson Games! It is a bloodbath filled with all the great things about Munchkin, including blatant wanton cheating (by way of SJ Games authorized promos)!

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Tournament for the Munchkin card game I'm guessing?

• Options
    DawnADawnA Registered User new member
    Question re concert schedule on Friday night. Need to pick up several minors after The Protomen finish. What time are The Protomen scheduled to end? Thanks

• Options
    ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User regular
    DawnA wrote: »
    Question re concert schedule on Friday night. Need to pick up several minors after The Protomen finish. What time are The Protomen scheduled to end? Thanks

Timing may vary, but it will more than likely not be any later than 2AM. I suggest having said minors call you.

PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
  • Options
    a fraking toastera fraking toaster W1TRK Registered User regular
    i has another question.....is there going to be alot of merch stands that take debut/credit cards.or will it be mostly cash only?

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    It varies from vendor to vendor. Some take credit/debit, some don't. Best bet is to have some cash on you for the ones that don't and know where an ATM is nearby (preferably one without fees for your bank).

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    CabadrinCabadrin Boston, MARegistered User regular
    i has another question.....is there going to be alot of merch stands that take debut/credit cards.or will it be mostly cash only?

I bring around $200 to the show in cash, because I always find goodies and books I want to buy. That being said, more and more vendors are using Square for CC transactions, so who knows? Your best bet is to come with cash, and be pleasantly surprised if they take credit cards.

e2TtnRd.png
  • Options
    mrgoldenbrownmrgoldenbrown Registered User new member
    The "Full Details" page for the Dominion Tournament is blank. (http://east.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/dominion) Is this actually an event, or is it just a hint for Dominion players to gather in the boardgaming area? I can't seem to find any information about it anywhere on the forums or the main site. Do I bring my own cards or are they provided by the tournament? What is the format? 2 player, 4 player, what sets are allowed, etc?

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I'd definitely bring cash. Last year even if the vendors were accepting cards they were having reception issues that prevented their mobile devices from working in many cases. Frankly, it makes it easier to limit your spending too - I hit the end of the day and looked at my debit card activity and said "oh shit, wifey's gonna be calling me tomorrow!"

I still haven't told my son we're going...I'm going to record his entire Easter egg hunt, culminating in "get in the car, we're going now". It's going to be like a super nerdy version of those Disney videos where people surprise their kids.

• Options
    rascalrascal Registered User regular
    What is the queue etiquette? I'm attending with anywhere from 5 to 12 people, depending on the day. Is it ok for a couple of us to hold a place in line for a couple of others? I'm assuming that it's totally rude for 1 of us to hold a place in line for 9 other of our pack, but that it's ok if my brother holds my place in line if I have to take one of my children to the bathroom -- but what would be polite queueing guidelines in general?

• Options
    jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    rascal wrote: »
    What is the queue etiquette? I'm attending with anywhere from 5 to 12 people, depending on the day. Is it ok for a couple of us to hold a place in line for a couple of others? I'm assuming that it's totally rude for 1 of us to hold a place in line for 9 other of our pack, but that it's ok if my brother holds my place in line if I have to take one of my children to the bathroom -- but what would be polite queueing guidelines in general?
    It is impolite to hold spaces in line for anyone for longer than it takes for them to go to the washroom. Line Management will not let anyone hold spaces for anyone else in nearly all cases other than short washroom breaks and even then, only if everyone in the group got in line and then some of them later got out of line to use the washroom.

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • Options
    jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    The "Full Details" page for the Dominion Tournament is blank. (http://east.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/dominion) Is this actually an event, or is it just a hint for Dominion players to gather in the boardgaming area? I can't seem to find any information about it anywhere on the forums or the main site. Do I bring my own cards or are they provided by the tournament? What is the format? 2 player, 4 player, what sets are allowed, etc?
    It is an event. They'll have the necessary copies for the game. The format for each of the Tabletop Tournaments will probably not be finalized until day-of. None of the other TTT events have detailed details on the schedule.

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • Options
    rascal wrote: »
    It is impolite to hold spaces in line for anyone for longer than it takes for them to go to the washroom. Line Management will not let anyone hold spaces for anyone else in nearly all cases other than short washroom breaks and even then, only if everyone in the group got in line and then some of them later got out of line to use the washroom.

Yeah if everyone isn't in line that's going to be in line to start, it's poor form. Get in line, then take bathroom breaks if necessary later. Also don't leave the line for 45 minutes just because it's a 2 hour wait and someone in your group is sticking around. If you want to see something, it's your duty to queue yourself.

• Options
    nevermind, i just noticed my email had the link to pax media site, its friday. so i guess ill be leaving an hour earlier than i wanted on friday to make sure i have time to get in line, get my badge, and head into the hall at 9am. kind of sucks though cuz last year we had all friday to see what was where and what lines filled up fast. now I wont have that luxury so i may look at some stuff then sat or sunday find out there's a huge line for other things i wanted to see but didnt expect to be a line. oh well. should be thankful i get to go in an hour early at all.

Yeah, having a media badge isn't meant to be a luxury.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »

Yeah, having a media badge isn't meant to be a luxury.

After the past two years, I wish they'd get rid of the media badges altogether except for massive media sites like G4. It's an event for gamers, not press, and I got cut in several lines by media badges and they love to clog the aisles shooting video.

• Options
    TennbergTennberg Boston, MARegistered User regular
    How safe is the bag check? I am considering bringing a tabletop minis game that I keep in a large Battlefoam case, and am wary of leaving it in my car. I've never used the bag check at the previous 2 PAX Easts, so I'm not sure how well they guard that area.

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    Tennberg wrote: »
    How safe is the bag check? I am considering bringing a tabletop minis game that I keep in a large Battlefoam case, and am wary of leaving it in my car. I've never used the bag check at the previous 2 PAX Easts, so I'm not sure how well they guard that area.

bag check area, assuming it's the same as last year, is a roped off area staffed by multiple people at all times. seemed very well run; i wouldn't worry, but of course it's your call.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    IllieasIllieas Registered User regular
    I have a question relating to Line waiting.
    I have looked on the schedule and notice two panels i wish to go to being in the same place one right after another. The question when the first panel is over. do the people in the panel give up their seat and reline up at the end of the line or can they retain them or have you found some very special way to work these circumstances? I just want to have a clear answer so i that i will plan accordingly

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Illieas wrote: »
    I have looked on the schedule and notice two panels i wish to go to being in the same place one right after another. The question when the first panel is over. do the people in the panel give up their seat and reline up at the end of the line or can they retain them or have you found some very special way to work these circumstances? I just want to have a clear answer so i that i will plan accordingly

If theres a break on the schedule between the two panels then the theater is cleared and you have to get back in line.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    TennbergTennberg Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Illieas wrote: »

From the Guidebook app:

"Are the theatres cleared in-between panels / concerts?

YES, we empty each theatre between events unless explicitly stated otherwise. We feel this allows the most people to experience content at the show."

Tennberg on
  • Options
    oberongxoberongx Registered User new member
    Nullzone wrote: »
    At Prime we had tournament signups posted an hour or two before the actual tournament for most of our tournament events. I would definitely check with TT HQ early in the day to find out the exact details of how it will be handled this year.
    How exactly could i find these TT HQ people before Pax to check if that is indeed how it is handled? or should i not worry about that till Friday morning? id hate to arrive at my hotel Thursday night, and read online that the tabletop tourney for Rftg and Innovation are filled up already.

also, is it too late to sign up for some PC tourneys like league of legends?
    if not, where can i sign up?
    and if not yet, when can i?
    and if you don't know, who would? and can you help me contact them?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    oberongx wrote: »
    Nullzone wrote: »
    How exactly could i find these TT HQ people before Pax to check if that is indeed how it is handled? or should i not worry about that till Friday morning? id hate to arrive at my hotel Thursday night, and read online that the tabletop tourney for Rftg and Innovation are filled up already.

also, is it too late to sign up for some PC tourneys like league of legends?
    if not, where can i sign up?
    and if not yet, when can i?
    and if you don't know, who would? and can you help me contact them?

@Nullzone is suggesting that first thing on Friday, after PAX opens, you can check at the tabletop desk in the tabletop area to find out the exact tourney plan.

All official PAX tournaments are sign-up day-of, at PAX. Visit each area (PC, Tabletop, Handheld, Console) during PAX to find out details if details aren't available in a forum thread here.

Edit: PC Tournament thread is here http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/157649/east-pax-east-2012-pc-tournaments-info
    Edit2: Handheld Tournament thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/157881/east-handheld-tournament-guide-2012

there doesn't appear to be a thread for console or tabletop tourneys this year. Visit those areas for more details, and visit PC and HH for signup details. Your best bet is to check all of them on Friday morning to get all the info at once, then plan your signups for the tourneys in which you want to compete.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    oberongxoberongx Registered User new member
    thanks Zerzhul :)

• Options
    lui355lui355 Registered User new member
    edited April 2012
    Hey, this is my first time going to PAX east and i was wondering if the console freeplay already has consoles there of if we can bring our own? also till what time are they usually open because i read somewhere it was open till 2am last time and if this is true this year then i'll be spending my nights at the freeplay area rather than my hotel room :)

lui355 on
  • Options
    lui355 wrote:
    Hey, this is my first time going to PAX east and i was wondering if the console freeplay already has consoles there of if we can bring our own? also till what time are they usually open because i read somewhere it was open till 2am last time and if this is true this year then i'll be spending my nights at the freeplay area rather than my hotel room :)

No, you cannot bring your own consoles. There are consoles provided. The "main" console freeplay has 360s, PS3s, and a few Wiis I think. There's also classic console freeplay (thread here) that has older consoles.

All aspects of PAX are open the entirety of PAX hours except the Expo hall. Take a look in the FAQ for the hours of PAX.

• Options
    EperiodEperiod Registered User new member
    How much is parking?

Can I leave my car parked overnight for all the days? I am planning on parking there and taking a shuttle to go to the Hotel.

Just a quick follow-up to that. What qualifies as overnight? I'm only going Friday, and concerts let out at 2AM Saturday morning. Would the lot still be open? I can't find that info anywhere. Thanks in advance!

• Options
    Eperiod wrote: »
    How much is parking?

Just a quick follow-up to that. What qualifies as overnight? I'm only going Friday, and concerts let out at 2AM Saturday morning. Would the lot still be open? I can't find that info anywhere. Thanks in advance!

If I'm remembering correctly, you have till 2:30AM to get your car out. I could be wrong though. Best bet to be sure is to call the BCEC and ask.