As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Gesundheit; Sneeze of Mystery

• MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj5F5HqbYZ0

I'm very curious about this book as well. Looks like it'll be out on the 10th.

snm_sig.jpg
  • zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    Could those guys get any more British?

They could be drinking tea and eating bacon butties.

snm_sig.jpg
  • mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Some rules/stats people have deduced from the WD Empire stuff:
    units led by Empire Generals and Captains roll 3D6 for Break Test, discard highest;
    Witch Hunters have Sniper and Killing Blow;
    Imperial Griffons are S6, 5W - I don't have my old Army Book here, but it seems to me these are different? They can be two-headed as a special option (with built-in game effect);
    Karl Franz grants his Ld to models within 18"; 24" if he is upon Deathclaw or the Imperial Dragon;
    Deathclaw has +1 A and Ld respect an Imperial Griffon, the usual faithful rule and makes enemy units roll an additional D6, discard lowest when testing Fear/Terror caused by it.

The General on the Imperial Griffon model has the option of two heads (helmetd or not) and lance or sword (different from the Reikland Runefang).
    The two magic altars can be fielded without Wizard on top, thus counting as a rare choice (I guess that was already known).
    Demi-Gryphs Knights with cavalry halberds are shown with the shield too (I guess they'll use it only against shooting).

The highlights: new Griffon statline to go with the behemoth model, Generals/Captains grant cold-blooded type thing (3d6 discard lowest on break tests), Witch Hunters get sniper/killing blow.

• Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    Here's a guide to the wonderful world of new British paints. :3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdM29VXRsM8&feature=youtu.be

• SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    So I'm gonna use the new Demigryphs and make a final fantasy tactics army out of it

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    SJ wrote: »
    So I'm gonna use the new Demigryphs and make a final fantasy tactics army out of it

Amazing plan.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Gah! Ten seconds into the paint range video and I already want to flush that guy and the cardigan he rode in on.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    He looks so uncomfortable, poor guy. Definitely better than that Tale of Painters dude; that was fucking unbearable.

• PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    I like him better than the guy who has been doing the recent Beasts of War painting/modeling tutorials.

Something about the way that guy talks just... ugh....

steam_sig.png
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    EDIT: derp, meant to go in the painting thread.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    So there's one guy at Warseer who claims his friend (and later he) has seen the new Empire book. Here's the doom and gloom he says we're in for:
    Warrior priests still generate dispel dice, same with Arch lectors and the War altar boosts are still good
    They dont generate dispel dice anymore, though they can channel both power and dispel dice
    Their prayers are improved: 1 that makes the whole unit reroll wounds. 1 that gives the unit 5+ in closecombat, and then we have old soulfire that now gives flaming attacks to the unit and damages models in basecontact with the priest

Griffonbanner same as usual for 60pts
    Runefang is still in the book at 85pts
    Helm of the ratslayer. fear to everyone, terror to skaven but skavens hate the model wearing it. 15pts
    AOMI 1+AS and 6++ for 50points
    Steelstandard. ignore -movement from barding and reroll 1's on the charge, flee and pursue
    Mace of helstrum 50pts
    Van horstmans speculum still there at 40pts
    Ring of volans
    and the white cloak reworked at 50pts

All state troops except spearmen have gone up 1 points (including crossbows, handgunners and greatswords)
    Detachment rule: Detatchments now counts for the same point cost as the parent unit (for example core, special etc.)
    They gain the same special rules as the parent unit (stubborn, stupidity etc) and also get the same prayer as the parent unit.

Mortars will be s2(6) big plate and get a 33% point increase aswell. Great cannon gets a 20% point increase. Steam tank now works differently with a steamengine missifirechart. It moves d6 random move per steampoint used up to 5 and causes d6+d3 per steampoint impact hits.

Witchhunters get some sort of "assassin type role in the army.
    After deployment you pick a model to "accuse of heresy!" ::heretic:: and then the witchhunter will be extra strong against that model.

Regular knights have gotten a pointdrop by 2pts And there will be mounted reiksguardknights at 27pts. They are like normal inner circle knights but also stubborn.

Engineers can now either pass their BS on to one war engine per turn OR reroll a dice
    Griffons are down to 170pts
    The stank will have t6 , the stank has +1 AS instead. + the rules are different now
    The effectivness of the main cannon and the steam gun is dependant on how many steampoints you spend on it that turn. the steamtank moves d6 random move per steam point (so it could in theory charge 30") and it does d6+d3 per steampoint impacthits
    Yes it has a special blowing the boiler missfirechart now
    And no, if you use 5 steampoints you would get d6+ 5d3 impacthits

The rules for sacrificing flagellants have been remade so they can get +1t instead of that +1 combat res if i remember it right.
    And if you use flagellants against the right unit they can wreak havoc...
    Ah right forgot to mention that. There is no unit limit anymore on them :icon_eek:
    The hellstorm rocketbattery will fire d3 s3 small templates and fire like a normal stonethrower except allways indirect fire so its not a huge nerf. Could potentialy hit 63 models in 1 shot :icon_question: :icon_twisted:

Helblaster - still BS shooting style though it can use the BS of an engineer.
    when the helblaster missfires will on the first missfire roll, shoot half the shots, on the second missfire roll that turn, roll on the blackpowder chart and third roll all barrels roll 10 and the cannon explodes

People are going nuts over the bolded parts. There are some neat ideas in there, like Detachments getting the buffs their parent units do, but in general my bullshit meter is going off:
    -This guy had like 7 posts before starting to post in this thread
    -The posts started a couple days before April Fools
    -He's made a few jokes about people freaking out and putting up their armies on eBay
    -Nobody else has seen a book yet, all of the GW's are supposedly getting the book on Tuesday.
    -Plenty of things, like the mechanical steed, are reportedly getting nerfed for no reason.

• Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    OK, so for those that remember me asking questions a few pages back about Empire - that plan has now been shelved and I have switched over to Beastmen. One of my friends is also getting back into WHFB and will be going with Skaven, with our first game is planned for early May at 750Pts (to give us time to assemble / paint etc) so I am looking for advise on Beastmen lists (and the army in general).

My first draft list that I threw together is looking something like this...
    Wargor
    Hand Weapon, Extra Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour
    Gnarled Hide

Bray-Shaman
    Hand Weapon
    The Lore of Beasts

Gor Herd
    15 Gor, Full Command, Extra Hand Weapon

Gor Herd
    15 Gor, Full Command, Extra Hand Weapon

Ungor Herd
    10 Ungor, Full Command, Hand Weapon, Shield

Bestigor Herd
    15 Bestigor, Full Command, Great Weapon, Heavy Armour

Now, I have taken a guess at what he will be fielding as he is going to use the Island of Blood set to start so his roster will look something along these lines;

Warlord

Warlock Engineer
    -Warplock Pistol

Clanrats
    20 Clanrats, Full Command, Spears, Shields
    1 Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team

Clanrats
    20 Clanrats, Full Command, Spears, Shields
    1 Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team

Rat Ogres
    2 Rat Ogres
    1 Master Moulder

So, how bad is my list and how badly are the rats going to rip me apart? Feel free to call me a disgrace to Chaos.

As a bonus question, are there any good WHFB forums worth frequenting. Many many years ago I used to post on Librarium Online, but I just took a look there and there stupid number of ad-banners put me off immediately.

Khade97 on
    For beastmen, you should check out The Herdstone. You'll probably pick up some good beasts advice there.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    So some stuff for Monstrous Arcanum from FW Open Day.

20120401_114610.jpg

Collosal Squig
    20120401_114814.jpg

Preyton (no better images yet)
    20120401_115239.jpg

K'daii Fireborn (Chaos Dwarf special/rare unit from Tamurkhan)
    20120401_115432.jpg

That Preyton is intriguing. Looks like an old D&D monster (probably drawn from the same mythology).

snm_sig.jpg
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Giant Fire Elementals?
    Cool

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Giant Fire Elementals?
    Cool

Mostly for Chaos Dwarves since it's one of the main units missing from the FW army list.

I wanted to see the K'daii Destroyer, which is an even bigger dude, but nooooo.

-Loki- on
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    For lack of a proper thread, I played my first game of bloodbowl in 10+ years. I'm going to point out that I didn't really enjoy it back then, mainly because it seemed the people I played against, cheated in a massive way and so I always lost horribly.

So yesterday was the first game I won, and the first time I scored a touchdown! In fact, the final score was 3 : 1 (Skaven against High Elves)

Highlights include

i) a Gutter runner completely fudging his dodge rolls, dropping the ball into the crowd, which got thrown back in for it to only got out again, and the ball ultimately ending up on the other side of the pitch.

ii) a Gutter runner making a go for it roll to end up in the touchdown zone, then a Blitzer making a dodge roll, picking the ball up, making a successful throw, only for anything but a one Gutter runner to drop the ball. This was alright, because we went through about 3 turns of High Elves and Skaven failing to pick up the ball.

iii) me asking in the 2nd half, "how come you have 12 players on the pitch, but only 11 on your roster?"

I think my opponent got abit carried away with just trying to beat up my Skaven. He saw how easy it was to shove my Linesman around so kept on trying to set up alot of 2vs1 situations to try hurt them. Throwing that many blocks around nearly every turn meant turnovers would happen in addition to having alot of his players clumped up and thus not able to cover the pitch well enough.

Obviously there is something wrong with High Elves beating my team up, but most of the time it was only against Linesmen (I'm pretty sure Skaven Linemen are fodder, so played them as very expendable speed bumps).

One Linesman ended up with a Skill-up and I rolled a 10, which gives either +1 Ma, +1 Av or a new skill. I was thinking of getting Kick, but am unsure if either of those stat increases are worth it.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Give it kick because other than that who cares about a linerat.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    The first game with skaven is aces as you skitter ball after ball through their lines.

The second game is a tad more tough as you suffer the injury hangover from the first game. Rats go squish so very easily.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited April 2012

He did score a touchdown though! My linerats were heroes. They got thumped all over the place being a massive distraction.

So first linerat with a skill gets kick, then others just get block? I did find it remarkable how similar Skaven philosophy is in Bloodbowl, i.e. send the cheap guys forward to be speed bumps.

I tried to spread points around; thrower / gutter runners doing little passes, even used a Blitzer to score. Didn't really want the Gutter Runners doing everything and hogging all the points.

Edit: quick question. My Blitzer hit a High Elf hard enough to remove the High Elf as a casualty (rolled a 12); the High Elf player used his apothecary to make me re-roll giving only a stun result. Does that mean the blitzer doesn't get the points he would have got if the apothecary hadn't forced the re-roll? I ask this as in the Q&A at the end of the rules, it says

Q. Does an Injury roll or a 9 against a Stunty player or a Casualty healed by an opposing Apothecary cound as a Casualty for Star Player Points
    A Yes to both

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
    I have a dumb question.

Say there's a spell or weapon that does multiple wounds (d3) and it hits a block of one-wound infantry. Does the multiple wounds rule spill over? I.e. if I roll a 6 for my d3 roll, do I get to pull off 3 models? Or is this rule basically meant for multi-wound models like monsters, characters, and Ogres?

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    If it's a spell, does it target a unit, or a specific model? Same for weaponry. As far as I know, in general combat, wounds are applied en masse to units. You don't single out, 'this guy attacks that guy, and that guy attacks this one,' and so multiple wound causing stuff would apply them to the 'wound pool.'

Gabriel_Pitt on
    Well, think of like...cannonballs. They do multiple wounds, but only paste one guy per rank. Is that because of the general cannon rule "you can only kill one guy per rank" or because wounds don't spill over? It's funkier with things like challenges, but in general I'm talking about targeting a unit.

If a mortar did multiple wounds (d3), and covers 20 models, do I roll a d3 and multiply it by 20?

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The "Multiple Wounds (n)" rule only has any additional effect on multiple wound models. In other words, no it doesn't spill over or, to put it another way, a single hit can never kill more than a single model.
    It might splatter it all over the countryside, but it's still only that one guy dead.
    Note that spells and templates inflict a variable number of hits which is a different beast entirely.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Thanks for the explanation, that's a pretty clear way to put it.

The reason I ask is because the rumor mill claims that the new Empire Lascannon "fires a boundspell power 4. s8 flaming magic missile that does d3wounds and pierce ranks like boltthrower. reroll wounds against undeads and demons"

I guess it's pretty sweet against Ogres and...Minotaurs? Ushabti?

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

He did score a touchdown though! My linerats were heroes. They got thumped all over the place being a massive distraction.

So first linerat with a skill gets kick, then others just get block? I did find it remarkable how similar Skaven philosophy is in Bloodbowl, i.e. send the cheap guys forward to be speed bumps.

I tried to spread points around; thrower / gutter runners doing little passes, even used a Blitzer to score. Didn't really want the Gutter Runners doing everything and hogging all the points.

Edit: quick question. My Blitzer hit a High Elf hard enough to remove the High Elf as a casualty (rolled a 12); the High Elf player used his apothecary to make me re-roll giving only a stun result. Does that mean the blitzer doesn't get the points he would have got if the apothecary hadn't forced the re-roll? I ask this as in the Q&A at the end of the rules, it says

Q. Does an Injury roll or a 9 against a Stunty player or a Casualty healed by an opposing Apothecary cound as a Casualty for Star Player Points
    A Yes to both

As soon as the dice are high enough to cause a CAS, you get skill points. This is regardless of what the other players chooses to do /roll with the Apothecary or Regeneration or anything. The process goes - Armor Roll (2d6) -> Injury Roll (2d6) -> Casualty Roll (d68). An Apothecary can force a reroll of the Casualty Roll result OR the player can attempt to Regenerate if he has that skill. If the player chooses to use his Apothecary, then if either the initial Casualty Roll or the subsequent forced reroll is a 38 or less (Badly Hurt), the player goes into Reserves rather than Casualties. Regardless, if the Injury Roll after modifiers comes out to be a 10-12 or more, the player gets 2 SPPs for a CAS result.

Also, after kick, I'd probably give Linerats Wrestle. Both down with no armor roll is better for a dodge-y team, as it means less tackle zones to go through, and can get around other players having the block skill. Yes, you won't cause armor/injury rolls as much, but that's not usually the Lineman's job.

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Its sweet against anyone, lol unless you fail to pierce the first rank.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

I'm looking forward to using it against my future VC buddy, that's for sure.

I need to figure out how to loot one for my skaven to use against those goddamn VC monstrous infantry.

snm_sig.jpg
    I'm not sure if this Swedish dude is full of shit or not, but if he's wrong the new Empire book is kind of underwhelming. Still think I'm gonna play em though, cause...lascannon. I don't think it'll be great, cause it's a bound level 4, but it just seems like a neat model. And the planetarium thing has a spell that can rotate an enemy unit around...

A Yes to both

As soon as the dice are high enough to cause a CAS, you get skill points. This is regardless of what the other players chooses to do /roll with the Apothecary or Regeneration or anything. The process goes - Armor Roll (2d6) -> Injury Roll (2d6) -> Casualty Roll (d68). An Apothecary can force a reroll of the Casualty Roll result OR the player can attempt to Regenerate if he has that skill. If the player chooses to use his Apothecary, then if either the initial Casualty Roll or the subsequent forced reroll is a 38 or less (Badly Hurt), the player goes into Reserves rather than Casualties. Regardless, if the Injury Roll after modifiers comes out to be a 10-12 or more, the player gets 2 SPPs for a CAS result.

Also, after kick, I'd probably give Linerats Wrestle. Both down with no armor roll is better for a dodge-y team, as it means less tackle zones to go through, and can get around other players having the block skill. Yes, you won't cause armor/injury rolls as much, but that's not usually the Lineman's job.

Sorry, I'm going to be an idiot for a second.

In a league game, an Apothecary allows you re-roll on the Casualty table, but not the injury? I rolled double 6 for the Injury, and the High Elf player got his Apothecary to make me re-roll a stun result instead.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yup. That elf be dead by rights if you'd got as far as injury roll.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    mr_mich wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this Swedish dude is full of shit or not, but if he's wrong the new Empire book is kind of underwhelming. Still think I'm gonna play em though, cause...lascannon. I don't think it'll be great, cause it's a bound level 4, but it just seems like a neat model. And the planetarium thing has a spell that can rotate an enemy unit around...

It wouldn't be great on its own, but in conjunction with a few more bound spells and a few wizards, you could flush out a lot of enemy dispel dice.

snm_sig.jpg
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular

A Yes to both

Sorry, I'm going to be an idiot for a second.

In a league game, an Apothecary allows you re-roll on the Casualty table, but not the injury? I rolled double 6 for the Injury, and the High Elf player got his Apothecary to make me re-roll a stun result instead.

Correct. Nothing can make you reroll on the Injury chart. From the LRB5, page 17: "During a match, an Apothecary may attempt to cure a player who has suffered a Casualty or been KO'd. (...) If the player was KO'd leave him on the pitch Stunned, or, if he was not on the pitch, put him in the Reserves box." Any way you slice it, Apothecaries come after an Injury roll and cannot modify that roll.

Score, my boys are holding the last Empire battalion they've got for me. Here's my purchase plan, assuming no groundbreaking news about rumors (i.e. the Swede is a lying douche):
    Battalion - $86.25
    Luminark/Hurricanum kit - $37.13
    Free Company - $26.25
    Pistoliers/Outriders - $18.56

Prices are at 25% off, cause...internets. Should leave me with 20 state troops, 20 free company, 10 gunners/crossbowmen, 10 greatswords, 8 knights, 5 outriders, and a lascannon as a starting army. Thoughts?

I'm cleaning mold lines off my dwarfs, getting them ready for assembly into a mini-throng. If I exsanguinate myself with my exacto knife, bury me with my horde.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    What I read: "mini-thong"

Glad I wasn't the only one.

This discussion has been closed.