As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

games "journalism" - submit your shit to orikae already, jesus christ

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i don't remember much grinding much in pearl. though i do remember being under leveled for a lot of gyms. still managed to win though.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    the rivals in bw are kinda dumb yeah

but to be fair they've been on a downward slope from gen 3 onward

best rival is still Blue/Gary

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    i don't remember much grinding much in pearl. though i do remember being under leveled for a lot of gyms. still managed to win though.

i was extremely underlevelled throughout diamond, and when I met the elite four i hit a wall. i had to grind a lot just to even stand a chance, and even then i had to use a damned lvl 100 event arceus to beat it.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

it's not so much it demands you to grind as it is there are really really long stretches of areas with wild pokemon

so many fucking caves

• Options
    the rivals in bw are kinda dumb yeah

but to be fair they've been on a downward slope from gen 3 onward

best rival is still Blue/Gary
    respectfully disagree

far as I'm concerned, the best rival is ???

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    BugBoy wrote: »
    anti

black and white introduced a pokemon that has no other purpose than to give massive amounts of xp

it is literally found in every area of the game

literally never saw one outside of a trainer battle

the grass never shook

they're easy to find if you look a little bit

although I think we disagreed on what grinding exactly means last time we discussed this

that's probably the thing here

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    the thing about gen 4 is that the champ is really, really strong

you can handle her with lower level stuff and lots of healing items, but if you want to go toe to toe with her you'll need to do a major grind

• Options

you can handle her with lower level stuff and lots of healing items, but if you want to go toe to toe with her you'll need to do a major grind

by the time i even got to her, i had very little money. i couldn't buy many healing items at all.

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Would anyone be interested in an article about what makes a good casual smartphone game

• Options
    Cynthia's team is fuckin' Smogon's Greatest Hits

• Options

by the time i even got to her, i had very little money. i couldn't buy many healing items at all.

that would be a problem

gen 4 definitely had a difficulty thing going on at the end

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular

you fight and lose frequently against the elite four, using your earned money to buy healing items after each attempt so you won't lose it

their pokemon are high level and trainer battles give double XP so you'll overcome them soon enough

plus you learn how each of them operates and exactly how to fight them, what works and what doesn't

they're supposed to be a challenge

• Options
    honestly, you know what pokemon diamond and pokemon white taught me

fuck leveling your team evenly, just use your starter all the time

younger me was right

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    no!

Leveling your team evenly is the best

it is a pain to do, but it feels so good

• Options

younger me was right

unless your starter has a 4x weakness, then you fucked.

• Options

younger me was right

unless your starter has a 4x weakness, then you fucked.

when you're level 100, you laugh in the face of everything in the main game

but you know it's not like i play multiplayer because i always lose

• Options
    leveling your team evenly isn't a pain! you just order them by level in ascending order, then order them by who has the least amount of XP left to level up

that way you're pretty much always getting level ups and using different pokes and it's awesome

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    Would anyone be interested in an article about what makes a good casual smartphone game

yes

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I was on the SE++ facebook chat not a while back and people were talking about Pokemon

I was like "is Pokemon still a thing? Really?"

People did the facebook chat equivalent of slowly turning to stare at me

I honestly did not know Pokemon was still a big deal

• Options
    Skull Man wrote: »
    leveling your team evenly isn't a pain! you just order them by level in ascending order, then order them by who has the least amount of XP left to level up

that way you're pretty much always getting level ups and using different pokes and it's awesome

see, i tried doing this. i got murdered. often.

so, fuck it. i'm never playing a new pokemon game again, but if i can get a copy of silver without a burnt out battery (i...played that game often) i'll just go ahead and make another lvl 100 Feraligatr.

• Options
    anti what I'm getting from this is

pokemon sucks because you are kind of terrible at it and don't have good wifi

I'm sorry

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    black and white were actually incredible for leveling up a team at the same rate because they give you an experience share pretty early and also there is a thing now where lower leveled dudes get a higher share of the experience than higher leveled ones

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options

I'm sorry
    fuck yourself

• Options
    i want you to find a pile of rusty nails to jump into

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    hmm

ladies and gents, if you've submitted articles to me and haven't heard back, please resubmit them to submissions@mediumdifficulty

if you sent it to my personal one it didn't get tagged/forwarded to all the editorial staff

• Options
    hmm

ladies and gents, if you've submitted articles to me and haven't heard back, please resubmit them to submissions@mediumdifficulty

if you sent it to my personal one it didn't get tagged/forwarded to all the editorial staff

hrm. okay.

• Options

I'm sorry
    fuck yourself
    zDUMh.gif

• Options
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    I am immediately disappointed they didn't pick a different group of generic antagonists and do a 2/too thing

also i am interested in hear your suggestions for generic horde foes they could have used? zombies have been over done, goblins are basically orcs. kobolds, ogres, and such like are already in the game.

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    in my view pokemon hasn't really stagnated because I don't really look at it as a single-player video game

I think of it more like a TCG with sequels acting kind of like set expansions

in that light the games actually make pretty significant advances every generation, the metagame gets thrown around pretty good with every release

if anything the problem with that is that the single player gets in the way

and I don't even mean in terms of the campaign, which is inoffensive enough

it's just all the grindy bullshit makes it way more frustrating to put a team together than it should be

on paper something like Pokemon Online seems like a perfect solution, but it's filled with obnoxious players and also something about it seems cold and impersonal

like, as much as I hate spending two hours breeding and EV training a pokemon, investing all that time into it does something to make it feel like more than just a sprite with some associated numbers

Speed, just so you know.

You're one of the people who I'd want to interview.

Because even if I don't necessarily agree with your stance on Pokemon, I think you do a really good job explaining your opinions.

Stilts if I don't get interviewed I swear to goodness

• Options
    hmm

sent

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    I am immediately disappointed they didn't pick a different group of generic antagonists and do a 2/too thing

also i am interested in hear your suggestions for generic horde foes they could have used? zombies have been over done, goblins are basically orcs. kobolds, ogres, and such like are already in the game.

could do "monsters" and have draculas, mummies, wolfmen, etc.

robots
    ninjas
    aliens
    bears

elves

etc.

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular

You have to fight a horde of orc ghosts.

The ghosts of all the orcs you killed in the first game.

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular

robots
    ninjas
    aliens
    bears

elves

etc.

Underworld, lovecraftian monsters seems like a good idea.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Eh, my review doesn't need to be resubmitted

Past the date of its relevance

• Options

robots
    ninjas
    aliens
    bears

elves

etc.

man, all ninjas must die would be horrible. The round starts and then your neck explodes open, you loose.

besides this actually takes place after the first one, which is weird they didn't really leave it open for a sequel, but here we are.

I would buy an "All Draculas Must Die" however.

fuck draculas.

• Options
    anti I hate to tell you this but you didn't burn out the battery on silver

the game has an always-on clock because it keeps track of the date and time

those batteries were only made to last about seven years, overuse or no

• Options
    anti I hate to tell you this but you didn't burn out the battery on silver

the game has an always-on clock because it keeps track of the date and time

those batteries were only made to last about seven years, overuse or no

pretty sure i did because my bro's copy of gold still works fine

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    in my view pokemon hasn't really stagnated because I don't really look at it as a single-player video game

I think of it more like a TCG with sequels acting kind of like set expansions

in that light the games actually make pretty significant advances every generation, the metagame gets thrown around pretty good with every release

if anything the problem with that is that the single player gets in the way

and I don't even mean in terms of the campaign, which is inoffensive enough

it's just all the grindy bullshit makes it way more frustrating to put a team together than it should be

on paper something like Pokemon Online seems like a perfect solution, but it's filled with obnoxious players and also something about it seems cold and impersonal

like, as much as I hate spending two hours breeding and EV training a pokemon, investing all that time into it does something to make it feel like more than just a sprite with some associated numbers

Speed, just so you know.

You're one of the people who I'd want to interview.

Because even if I don't necessarily agree with your stance on Pokemon, I think you do a really good job explaining your opinions.

Stilts if I don't get interviewed I swear to goodness

Oh, you have Pokemon opinions too?

I'll put you on the list with Speed and Dich.

Also I really need to try and get one or two interviewees I know who aren't PA members.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    I'll put you on the list with Speed and Dich.
    :|
    PREPARE FOR EXTERMINATION

• Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

You have to fight a horde of orc ghosts.

The ghosts of all the orcs you killed in the first game.

Alright, so the warmage now an old man tortured by the sins of the past or is he still insane in love with traps and shit and this is just a fun saturday for him?

This discussion has been closed.