As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

games "journalism" - submit your shit to orikae already, jesus christ

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    T4CT wrote: »
    in my view pokemon hasn't really stagnated because I don't really look at it as a single-player video game

I think of it more like a TCG with sequels acting kind of like set expansions

in that light the games actually make pretty significant advances every generation, the metagame gets thrown around pretty good with every release

if anything the problem with that is that the single player gets in the way

and I don't even mean in terms of the campaign, which is inoffensive enough

it's just all the grindy bullshit makes it way more frustrating to put a team together than it should be

on paper something like Pokemon Online seems like a perfect solution, but it's filled with obnoxious players and also something about it seems cold and impersonal

like, as much as I hate spending two hours breeding and EV training a pokemon, investing all that time into it does something to make it feel like more than just a sprite with some associated numbers

Speed, just so you know.

You're one of the people who I'd want to interview.

Because even if I don't necessarily agree with your stance on Pokemon, I think you do a really good job explaining your opinions.

Stilts if I don't get interviewed I swear to goodness

Oh, you have Pokemon opinions too?

I'll put you on the list with Speed and Dich.

Also I really need to try and get one or two interviewees I know who aren't PA members.

I don't know if you need any more, but if you do I am also interested in being interviewed

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Skull Man wrote: »
    anti I hate to tell you this but you didn't burn out the battery on silver

the game has an always-on clock because it keeps track of the date and time

those batteries were only made to last about seven years, overuse or no

pretty sure i did because my bro's copy of gold still works fine

my copy of silver still has a working battery as it never left my gameboy colour, my copy of gold however the battery died a long while ago.

This might be a reason why your brother's still works.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    leveling your team evenly isn't a pain! you just order them by level in ascending order, then order them by who has the least amount of XP left to level up

that way you're pretty much always getting level ups and using different pokes and it's awesome

this is how I play

I go through every new area with my core team of pokebros, and then once I've done the dungeon/gym/whatever for that area

I start getting out my other 'mons and I level them all up with the trainers I avoided the first time through and the various tall grasses, capturing all the pokemons I missed.

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    the lifetime of a cartridge's battery is directly related to how much you cared for it

0BnD8l3.gif
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    the lifetime of a cartridge's battery is directly related to how much you cared for it

my brother bought a used copy of gold like four or five years back

I bought mine nearly at release date and it died a year or two after my bro got his game

• Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    in my view pokemon hasn't really stagnated because I don't really look at it as a single-player video game

in that light the games actually make pretty significant advances every generation, the metagame gets thrown around pretty good with every release

it's just all the grindy bullshit makes it way more frustrating to put a team together than it should be

on paper something like Pokemon Online seems like a perfect solution, but it's filled with obnoxious players and also something about it seems cold and impersonal

like, as much as I hate spending two hours breeding and EV training a pokemon, investing all that time into it does something to make it feel like more than just a sprite with some associated numbers

Speed, just so you know.

Because even if I don't necessarily agree with your stance on Pokemon, I think you do a really good job explaining your opinions.

Also I really need to try and get one or two interviewees I know who aren't PA members.

I don't know if you need any more, but if you do I am also interested in being interviewed

I, too, can talk about pokemon

• Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    I think my silver still works

haven't tried it in years, though

• T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular

Speed, just so you know.

Yup and they are different from the Pokemon opinions of those two

Pfft don't interview T4CT from PA

Interview MIKE BLAIS from THE BROCAST

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular

Speed, just so you know.

I'd be happy to.

And you as well, Anti.

But before I have a bunch of people going, "Oh, ask me, ask me," I should clarify something.

I want to do these interviews over Skype. If at all possible, I want to avoid text chat for interviews. I prefer to get quotes from people who used their voice to deliver them to me.

I mean, I've done e-mail and IM interviews before, but they've been my weakest ones. All my best interviews came from me talking to someone in person, over the phone or on Skype.

IKknkhU.gif
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I am immediately disappointed they didn't pick a different group of generic antagonists and do a 2/too thing

also i am interested in hear your suggestions for generic horde foes they could have used? zombies have been over done, goblins are basically orcs. kobolds, ogres, and such like are already in the game.

You have to fight a horde of orc ghosts.

The ghosts of all the orcs you killed in the first game.

Alright, so the warmage now an old man tortured by the sins of the past or is he still insane in love with traps and shit and this is just a fun saturday for him?

The Warmage is an old man and is used in the same way the the Rift was used in the first game. And you are a priest trying to exorcise all of the orc ghosts before they make it to him.

But perhaps the divine power is not enough to repel the ghosts!

PERHAPS YOU MUST TURN TO NECROMANCY.

Also, Ghostbusters.

i'd love to be of service in that way, @Stilts

just tell me when's a good time and I'll try to be available

I don't think lovecraftian horrors lend themselves to tower defence games.

It would be like playing a game where you have to defeat the primal fear of the dark and the unknown. I don't think arrow traps are going to do that.

It would be like playing a game where you have to defeat the primal fear of the dark and the unknown. I don't think arrow traps are going to do that.

have you ever tried arrow traps

0BnD8l3.gif

have you ever tried arrow traps

yeah, is good for the fear of loud noises and clowns. not so much fire, darkness, and the creeping dread of realizing that reality is just your fragile mind trying to adjust to the abject horrors of the universe.

Speed, just so you know.

I'd be happy to.

And you as well, Anti.

But before I have a bunch of people going, "Oh, ask me, ask me," I should clarify something.

I want to do these interviews over Skype. If at all possible, I want to avoid text chat for interviews. I prefer to get quotes from people who used their voice to deliver them to me.

I mean, I've done e-mail and IM interviews before, but they've been my weakest ones. All my best interviews came from me talking to someone in person, over the phone or on Skype.

This is the only good way to do interviews so yes.

i think i missed something, why is stilts doing pokeviews?

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    i'd love to be of service in that way, @Stilts

just tell me when's a good time and I'll try to be available

Great!

It'll probably take me a couple days to come up with some questions to start the interviews off and sprinkle in-between whenever there's a lull.

ALSO! I wanted to mention this at some point, so I might as well do it now.

When I was an undergrad in Arizona State's English program, I took a class titled "Video Game Theory."

The professor of that class wrote this book, which I bought after I finished the course because I thought he was a really smart dude. We talked about a lot of stuff like immersion, cinematics, narrative structures, gender theory, etc. It was a pretty fun class, and the many conversations I had with him in his office inspired the Mass Effect article I wrote for Orik's site.

So what I'm saying is, Zach's pretty cool, and if you like what's on Orik's site maybe check out his book?

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Actually Pokemon is a great example of how flat out diverse gamers can be.

There are for example literally thousands of people who actually think Gold and Silver are the peak of Pokemon gameplay. I mean these people are ignoring facts for nostalgia but they exist.

Im positive that even with small group of people there will he almost no overlap in opinions on what Pokemon is to them.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular

There are for example literally thousands of people who actually think Gold and Silver are the peak of Pokemon gameplay. I mean these people are ignoring facts for nostalgia but they exist.

nnnnnope

the gameplay has moved on in better directions in terms of battle mechanics and such

gen 2 remains the best in terms of aesthetic, story, aftergame content, etc.

• premiumpremium Registered User regular
    I think a lot of people are nostalgic for Gen2 because there was such a HUGE improvement between Gen1 and Gen2, all the other improvements seem more incremental.

Also my brother managed to pry apart his copy of silver without damaging it and is trying to rig up a new battery for it, I haven't checked how that's going in a while but you guys reminded me.

• GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    @Stilts if you are interviewing people about Pokemon

Well

Yo.

i want to talk about pokemon right now but I am going to save my comments for Mr @Stilts

mainly because man if people get upset with me disliking JRPGs

even though I enjoy pokemon once every eight months or so

Stilts and I are going to have a very interesting conversation about what I think pokemon actually is

pokemon is a small cafe in the south of france

0BnD8l3.gif
    pokemon is a small cafe in the south of france

with shitty coffee and a fat waitress

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    regarding the av club's games site

I do not go to that site for video game coverage, and generally avoid their video game coverage whenever possible

part of that is because it's mostly limited to reviews, and well, most reviews on that site that aren't tv reviews are too brief to really gain anything from

BugBoy wrote: »

nnnnnope

the gameplay has moved on in better directions in terms of battle mechanics and such

See?

I mean people think Kanto was a big deal as a post game area but it's got no content it literally exists for nostalgia.

The post game areas in D/P /B/W bigger have more to do and don't have absurdly underleveled wild pokemon.

The story is vastly improved as well. To say G/S has a story is laughable. Team Rocket is defeated before you even get to the seventh gym. There's no lead villian just faceless mooks trying to find Giovanni

Cyrus and N are much better as leads Even Archie and Maxie have personalities beyond Durr I'm a crook.

Asthetic is strictly opinion but do you just mean art style or the level design as a whole? Because you can't seriously compare Gen two to modern titles

nnnnnope

See?

I mean people think Kanto was a big deal as a post game area but it's got no content it literally exists for nostalgia.

The post game areas in D/P /B/W bigger have more to do and don't have absurdly underleveled wild pokemon.

The story is vastly improved as well. To say G/S has a story is laughable. Team Rocket is defeated before you even get to the seventh gym. There's no lead villian just faceless mooks trying to find Giovanni

Cyrus and N are much better as leads Even Archie and Maxie have personalities beyond Durr I'm a crook.

Asthetic is strictly opinion but do you just mean art style or the level design as a whole? Because you can't seriously compare Gen two to modern titles

yo I'm not sure you remember what happens in Kanto or the story of G/S

• Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    I kind of want to write something about how Zynga ruined farm related gameplay. Like how WoW is getting some interactive agriculture stuff that sounds casual and fun and everyone is all "god damn FarmVille" blah blah. What about Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing? Those were rad games.

• BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    when I say story, I don't mean in the strict plot sense

it's just that I feel like it does a better job of showing a trainer's journey from rookie to champion

and it absolutely has the best post game

8 more gyms+the highest level trainer in the series is a lot more than just nostalgia

the other post game content is basically a bunch of trainers and maybe a battle frontier

gen 2 is the only one to really have your character's story continue on after the e4

BugBoy on

nnnnnope

See?

yo I'm not sure you remember what happens in Kanto or the story of G/S

No you beat Team Rocket pretty early compared to other games. Ypu get to go to Kanto for what amounts to a victory lap then finally mount silver and a battle with Red . The remakes added some content here but in the originals its all pretty straightforward.

I liked the house in post g/ s where you could fight trainers with lvl 100 stuff once per day

• Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    wasn't it level 50

also I love how much longer and varied the routes are in B/W

and the addition of doctors/nurses to recharge your pokes so you could keep going

that was rad

wasn't it level 50

Hrm

Probably was now that you mention it

Oh, my Swiss cheese brain

• GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    I have to say, if someone made a crib mobile that played this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOWRNLaCMJg

I'd buy one in less than a heartbeat for when I have kids.

wasn't it level 50

Hrm

Probably was now that you mention it

Oh, my Swiss cheese brain

also it was a meganium a ferligatr and a typhlosion and his name was CAL OH WHAT'S MY BLOOD TYPE NOPE CAN'T REMEMBER

What the fuck are you even on

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    if you did the mystery gift thing with someone, the trainer's pokemon changed to whatever they had when you did mystery gift

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    skulldrugs

What the fuck are you even on

anti, baby

I can't forget

anything

from any game or book or tv show or anything I was ever even slightly interested in

ever

ever

This discussion has been closed.