As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

the Dao of "games journalism"

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    awww no worries, I am sure Karl will rip it apart first chance he gets

I am just demanding instant gratification

and there are no mirrors nearby

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Discussion over the last day or so has reminded me of the fact that I really should ask Orikae some questions.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    just tooted about the site on my twitter, karl

hope you enjoy all 4 of the resulting hits

kQwcZLJ.png
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »

It's interesting, you laid out some pretty good damn ideas that i like. It also leads to some good discussion so there is that too!.

Karl told me to tell you that he liked it and is checking with our guy in charge of submissions to make sure he isn't just biased.

Fishman wrote: »
    Discussion over the last day or so has reminded me of the fact that I really should ask Orikae some questions.

I am probably the second best person to ask. The gap ain't small, but I'm around.

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »

It's interesting, you laid out some pretty good damn ideas that i like. It also leads to some good discussion so there is that too!.

Karl told me to tell you that he liked it and is checking with our guy in charge of submissions to make sure he isn't just biased.

Hey awesome, thanks!

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    That said, my concern is around what precisely these videos will be and what value to content (rather than just promotional stuff) they will bring to the table as opposed to, say, podcasts. How do they line up with the theme of the site?

this is a great question! mostly i'm thinking that it's a great form to use to show what critical playing is like - pausing the game for a moment and explaining exactly why i get frustrated at the dialogue, for example

In this context, I can see this being a great value-add. Rather than writing an article and then linking to a video that illustrates your point, I can see how it could work with it all being one video where your experience is being "narrated."

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF THE THINGY I SENT YOU

i thought it was great and it's almost certainly going to get published, i just sent it to kyle and Melding to thwart 1am head

:oops: hooraaaaaaaaay

alternately: earphones

but it's true, I seriously cannot handle it when a video is playing on the iPad while the TV is going, it makes it impossible for me to concentrate on just one thing

you just reminded me to rap w/ you about the prevalence of add misdiagnosis/my theory for why add is prevalent in creative types

cool, it's Easter weekend this weekend so I gots some time for rapping

just let me know when; I am free anytime on my Sunday or Monday

just tooted about the site on my twitter, karl

hope you enjoy all 4 of the resulting hits

i noted and appreciated it. sorry if i didn't link you to your published story sooner, i have been quite busy

ok. when are those my time?

• TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    Reposting this in the actually correct topic:
    Tossrock wrote: »
    Orik, have you considered using Google Adsense? With a text heavy, keyword-laden site like mediumdifficulty I'm sure it would offer much better returns than Project Wonderful.

Just sayin'

sig.png

ok. when are those my time?

Saturday and Sunday, essentially

later on Sunday/Monday morning (like 11 am) might be best; that would be 8 pm or so your Saturday/Sunday, I think

trying to remember amusing things we have said on the podcast for possible marketable ideas with gatsby.

we both fear we might have to go back and listen to them for ideas.

if you have listened to the counter podcast before, is there any lines or topics that stand out as particularly amusing?

We would like to hear from you!

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Oh, Orik has a site?

Maybe I will look at it sometime.

Maybe.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    I've been scraping through my brains trying to think of another neat article idea to write

but it seems the very best ideas for good articles come to me on a whim, or as sidenotes

actively thinking about what topic to write either results in a bad idea or a bad article

maybe that's where lots of sites fail; the pressure to continually produce content may very well lead to poor content being churned for the sake of having an update

or maybe I am just THAT limited in my creative and writing ability that I can't come up with shit without an epiphany

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Write a critical piece on journalistic integrity and licking a psp.

Blake T on
    that is not actually a bad idea, baby

I shall ponderify this

Orik, have you considered using Google Adsense? With a text heavy, keyword-laden site like mediumdifficulty I'm sure it would offer much better returns than Project Wonderful.

Just sayin'

we actually had started with it but it took ages to activate it so we went with PW

i have no qualms with switching

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I have plenty of ideas. But I do not think I can structure them well enough to give them justice.

I like talking about them though.

edited April 2012
    if you want we can do some articles together then!

you can be the idea man and I can be the articulate lady person who dresses it up and makes it pretty

Vivixenne on
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    as someone who was used AdSense it's pretty successful

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    trying to remember amusing things we have said on the podcast for possible marketable ideas with gatsby.

if you have listened to the counter podcast before, is there any lines or topics that stand out as particularly amusing?

Where is this podcast in question?

currently spread out in the last thread. It's all getting uploaded to the servers proper later in the week, so that we have them in one place. I will see what i can find.

I do not think there is enough meat about the topic to make it into an article. But as a question, what genre of media do you think is most similar to video games and why?

I have My Own Opinions. But I am more curious about hearing other's thoughts rather than defend my own.

currently spread out in the last thread. It's all getting uploaded to the servers proper later in the week, so that we have them in one place. I will see what i can find.

where is the iTunes

T4CT wrote: »

where is the iTunes

that's an excellent point. however, no one involved knows anything about itunes, so it never really happened. that's a good idea though, if we knew how to work it.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    I do not think there is enough meat about the topic to make it into an article. But as a question, what genre of media do you think is most similar to video games and why?

I have My Own Opinions. But I am more curious about hearing other's thoughts rather than defend my own.

That's a fairly broad question, are you thinking about how people experience media, the content of said media, etc?

Cool cool.

i'm putting itunes togther once we get all the files in one place.

Just sayin'

we actually had started with it but it took ages to activate it so we went with PW

I would suggest switching post haste. If you get it in place before the next time you hit viral critical mass (reddit frontpage etc) I predict you will see non-trivial money. Not like, quit your job money, but at least to subsidize hosting.

sig.png
    what do we need to do for quit our jobs money?

Pepsi presents Medium Difficulty

Just sayin'

I would suggest switching post haste. If you get it in place before the next time you hit viral critical mass (reddit frontpage etc) I predict you will see non-trivial money. Not like, quit your job money, but at least to subsidize hosting.

for this to actually work properly you need on-sight ads, not on-click ads

AdSense depends on people clicking the ads to generate revenue

also @Melding when you guys set that up use Feedburner to redirect the feed for ease of use with iTunes rather than pulling straight-sourced from the category RSS feed

what this also means is that as long as the files are currently hosted SOMEWHERE all you need to do is embed the link into the post and you could have this on iTunes tomorrow (submission and approval takes about 6 hours and then another 12-14 to start appearing in the iTunes Store). When the files are rehosted to whatever server you're using all you have to do is change the embedded link but because it's generating through feedburner you don't actually have to make any changes, it'll still pull from the right dated post and just update where the download link is pointing to.

also it seems the site these were hosted on has disappeared.

I got them on dropbox but i have no idea how to even link that.

in fact regardless of what's going on with the files you should get ONE episode hosted SOMEWHERE, get that feedburner feed up, and submit to iTunes ASAP

because feedburner allows you to change what it's pointing to for the actual content feed at anytime, using it allows you to get through that iTunes approval process even if your actual portion of the site isn't set up and means that when you're ready to go all you need to do is change a link and wait 5-10 minutes and everything will be updated in iTunes without waiting 14 hours the first time.

T4CT wrote: »

also @Melding when you guys set that up use Feedburner to redirect the feed for ease of use with iTunes rather than pulling straight-sourced from the category RSS feed

what this also means is that as long as the files are currently hosted SOMEWHERE all you need to do is embed the link into the post and you could have this on iTunes tomorrow (submission and approval takes about 6 hours and then another 12-14 to start appearing in the iTunes Store). When the files are rehosted to whatever server you're using all you have to do is change the embedded link but because it's generating through feedburner you don't actually have to make any changes, it'll still pull from the right dated post and just update where the download link is pointing to.

Alright, i know very little of what this means, but, I know some people who might. Thanks for the heads up. We will get on this as soon as we can.

edited April 2012
    put them in the public folder, then right click Dropbox=>Copy public link

Dropbox doesn't like being your filehost though and will cut shit off after you start eating bandwidth

Tossrock on
    sig.png

do we know anyone from pepsi

I drank Pepsi once.

do we know anyone from pepsi

No, i know people who work at Heinz. they can get in contact with someone from Kraft. Kraft Foods Presents doesn't' sound too bad. think of all the kraft dinner and sour patch kids we could get.

I would also prefer coca cola over pepsi. fuck pepsi.

This discussion has been closed.