As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We don't actually build or mine anymore, we just play with cats all day. Minecraft!

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Oh the joys of growing up without cable.

:|

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Firematic.Firematic. Registered User regular
    Well, as soon as the nickelodeon game show only channel was released/I knew someone who had it, it became one of those things you just leave on in the background.
    To this day, I want to compete on GUTS, but am deathly afraid of going up the aggro crag and missing one of the lights and being like "oh god I hope the other dude falls off because otherwise I am never winning this"

• Options
    Croc_ClockCroc_Clock Registered User regular
    So, there's talk about a potentially bigger jungle SE of our current jungle. Dunno if it's true; I'll check it out in a bit, but I think the size of our current one is fine anyway.

Doktor, or whoever made the pathways, they look amazing.

We have 2 monster spawners (spider and skeleton), both near the bay, with staircases leading directly up from them.

We also now have a couple wheat/melon farms.

Question: if I want to make a tree house, can I build a tree up a bit? And how much wider than the base of the tree are we considering making tree houses? We sticking to the general ewok theme for that?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    McMasta wrote: »

Regarding the Ewok Village, here are my thoughts.

The first one feels too much like just regular houses arbitrarily stuck up in trees.

Actual Ewok homes on Ender are much more realistic... but simultaneously kinda boring. It's just like, tiny huts stapled to the sides of trees.

The last one would only be feasible if we wanted to make the entire city one big tree, because the amount of work/wood would be nonsensical.

However, I was looking around and saw this:
    d6752c3e-4d54-42fe-91f2-2e868e4a7e12.jpg

This seems like a nice middle ground between #1 and #2. It keeps a very jungle-tree-house feeling, while being a bit more interesting than just huts.

However, the reason for this long drawn out post is to say I think what makes this style so cool is the collection of homes, not just a single one. So I figure maybe we can grow a bunch of larger trees somewhere not too far apart so people who want tree houses can have them be linked up to one another. Thoughts?

Croc_Clock on
  • Options
    phase one: build tree towers reaching high into the new height limit.
    phase two: establish Kashyyyk type village.
    phase three: Invade all Ewok themed areas. Rape their houses, plunder their women, abscond with their cats.

• Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    ATTENTION SERVER MEMBERS PLANNING ON GOING TO PAX PRIME:

Passes will likely go on sale within the next three weeks. Last year they went on sale on April 15, but with both PAX East and Prime being later this year, I'm anticipating an on-sale date of April 20. Anyone planning to go, please PM me with contact info for the inevitable server meetup.

Also, anyone wishing to contribute to Nuka's trip (a gift from the proletariat for being an awesome admin) please PM me.

Now back to your regularly scheduled cat wrangling.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    Sorry, forgot to post this before, but server's down for a little while as I am installing a thing. I shall inform you when it is not down.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Options
    I am done with my stuff you can come back.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Options
    1. The jungle SE of our current jungle is crappy. We explored it and meh.

2. I found a jungle East of the that jungle, and holy shit. I think we may need to make this the jungle. It's massive, I think bigger than our current one. It has lots of elevation change, a river, ponds, tons of undergrowth.

• Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    Dynamap is currently not updated, right?

I'm thinking of going North. Like way North. Unreasonably North.

Wanna be a hermit.

Huh...
  • Options
    Every time I try to be a hermit, I spend a few weeks away from crafting and there are houses around me. Next time, burying landmines in the surrounding country.

• Options
    FF wrote: »
    Dynamap is currently not updated, right?

I'm thinking of going North. Like way North. Unreasonably North.

Wanna be a hermit.

Dynmap is indeed updated.

• Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    Oh! Uh, my bad.

Huh...
  • Options
    SopaSopa Yes I am a dinosaur, and yes I play videogames. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Crow, cognisseur (Croc) and I are planning on making the actual Ocelotl on another, much bigger jungle we found SE of the actual jungle.
    (cognisseur is on the current jungle, whereas I am on the new one)
    Untitled-1.jpg
    The plan is to make an encampment by the bay close to a shipwreck of the tp ship. There's gonna be a path that leads to a city deep in the jungle with a mesoamerican theme going on, with temples scattered around the place.

People have already began settling in the jungle leaded by The Wanderer and a lot are favouring the tree house style, which is not what we've really had in mind for Ocelotl. I'm thinking we could leave that tp up and use The Traveler for another tp to the new jungle.

What do you think? I'd like more people to come and look around the new place.

Sopa on
    jrrClpr.gif
  • Options
    TBH, I really like the new jungle, but I didn't see it as a specialized place. Simply put, it's just better in all regards. It's a bigger biome that feels more enveloping, partly due to having a very lucky set of mountain ranges on the outside areas, sort of Un'goro Crater style. It has a bigger bay (two actually), more undergrowth growth for better ruins/pathways, and more trees, which are also taller.

Personally, I think we can do all 3 styles like we were originally planning to do in the new biome. If people feel some of the styles clash with one another (personally, I don't given that the ruins/tree-tops are hard to see from one another if you do it right), the biome itself is simply large enough to house multiple styles of cities separated apart. But like I said, I favor having all 3 styles within the city.

-Have a bay with a shipwreck, and lots of small shop boats, and tents, and jungle-houses on stilts. The bay will have a river connected to it which snakes throughout the jungle, which allows for expansion on this style of building
    -From the shipwreck, have a path (Doktor style, all broken up), leading deeper into the undergrowth and build various ruins and temples and such.
    -Use sufficiently tall trees and build tree-houses up there, Ewok style. If we grow the trees tall and a bit clustered, we can even have them connected with little bridges.

I know some people started building in the other jungle, but I'm really hoping you guys would consider taking a look at this one. We hadn't made too much progress on that one yet, and this one is really nice and would allow for more stuff going on.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    There will be a planned downtime tomorrow, April 3, from 11 AM EST to approximately 11:45 AM EST

E: I have altered the above date to conform to mortal time standards, so as to avoid time travel paradoxes.

The Good Doctor Tran on
  • Options
    Also bear in mind that we're fine with limited teleports but they will be EXTREMELY selective. We will still expect you to primarily depend on minecarts.

• Options
    CrowbawtCrowbawt Member of the Midnight Crew Registered User regular
    I like the new jungle as well. I guess my two cents would be that no matter what happens, I really want a mayan/aztec temple complex incorporated somehow as that's what my initial idea for Ocelotl was. If it's separate or part of a larger city structure doesn't matter to me! Up to you guys.

• Options
    doktorjakedoktorjake Registered User regular
    Ok, so talking to Carrington a bit today it was brought to my attention that the idea for Ocelotl was Crowbawt's project. I had assumed it was a community project, and am sorry for any toes I might have stepped on last night in light of this.

As many people have already put time into the current jungle, I propose that we call this city Katmandu (not my idea, i cant remember who thought up the name, sorry) and make a jungle-rail system or bridge between the two cities, where Katmandu will be the community city and Ocelotl will be Crow's project.

• Options
    doktorjake wrote: »
    Ok, so talking to Carrington a bit today it was brought to my attention that the idea for Ocelotl was Crowbawt's project. I had assumed it was a community project, and am sorry for any toes I might have stepped on last night in light of this.

As many people have already put time into the current jungle, I propose that we call this city Katmandu (not my idea, i cant remember who thought up the name, sorry) and make a jungle-rail system or bridge between the two cities, where Katmandu will be the community city and Ocelotl will be Crow's project.

Well, before we jump to that, someone should check with Crow if he'd prefer to have the project for himself or if he prefers it to be a big community project. The new jungle would work better than our current one for a server project, but I'd totally agree to back off it if that's what Crow prefers.

• Options
    IsaIsa Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    doktorjake wrote: »

I appreciate this. When I heard this morning about what happened I was genuinely ready to get butthurt at everyone. :\ Keeping the projects separate is for the best, imo.

Isa on
  • Options
    CrowbawtCrowbawt Member of the Midnight Crew Registered User regular
    I guess it really depends on what other people wanna do. My idea is the Aztec/Mayan temple city, which would be deep in a jungle, with stone paths and tunnels and ruins throughout. This by no means has to be a private project if other people are interested in that sort of thing to help build, that's just what I had in mind Ocelotl to be.

I do like the newer jungle better overall although that's just my opinion!

So it depends on if other people are interested in the Mayan/Aztec/Inca aesthetic or if they would rather build a different sort of jungle city separate. I'm also fine with Ocelotl being part of a larger city with different stylistic sections too, as long as the deep jungle temples are allowed to be made. Really, it's up to what everyone would like better, I don't want to exclude people!

I hope that makes sense, I'm bad at saying what I want to say.

• Options
    greygrey Registered User regular
    Build something already dammit!

• Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    ugh running a desktop server is a bloody hassle. Nothing has changed since last night, and now suddenly no one can connect to my server. Not even me! blurgh hurgh

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    Is anyone here going to Pax East? I will be there all 3 days if anyone wants to meet up!

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    RehtaehRehtaeh Registered User regular
    Katmandu! I thought of that! (Jeni C) lol glad to contribute in /some/ way :)

• Options
    doktorjakedoktorjake Registered User regular
    Croc_Clock wrote: »
    Well, before we jump to that, someone should check with Crow if he'd prefer to have the project for himself or if he prefers it to be a big community project. The new jungle would work better than our current one for a server project, but I'd totally agree to back off it if that's what Crow prefers.

If Ocelotl is a community project, I would appreciate having some say in which jungle it should be in. I have several reasons why the jungle we're in is much better than the newer jungle.

The source of the drama doesn't seem to be the style so much as the location. I don't understand why you would *search* for a better spot when a spot has already been chosen, thats bound to end up leaving someone disappointed. Once your engaged, you stop dating, amirite?

I don't want to offend, but I also want to communicate that I thought it was a little bogus that after a lot of time was put into the site, I wake up to find that that was yesterdays news and people are pushing to move to somewhere else. I know that people didn't intentionally mean to be bogus, but thats just how it feels to me a little.

Crowbawt wrote: »
    So it depends on if other people are interested in the Mayan/Aztec/Inca aesthetic or if they would rather build a different sort of jungle city separate. I'm also fine with Ocelotl being part of a larger city with different stylistic sections too, as long as the deep jungle temples are allowed to be made. Really, it's up to what everyone would like better, I don't want to exclude people!

^ This. One of my many reasons for staying in the current jungle is that we'll have to terraform pretty much *any* biomes around it to make it the size everyone was hoping, and having several districts would be excellent.

• Options
    IsaIsa Registered User regular
    You're upset that someone's project, that you mistakenly tried to take lead of and began building with a different end-goal, is being moved somewhere else so it can fit the original vision without making you tear down what you wanted to build? Crow wants it to be a communal project in the sense that people are welcome to come join in, but it's still her project that she's been planning for months, it has a set theme and she should still have final say on everything. :\

• Options
    FerretFerret Registered User regular
    I'm not very interested in these particular projects but I want to see this issue die. It looks to me like all parties are completely unorganized and are having clashing ideas on the style and flow of the city, you're just going to end up with a clashing unorganized city at this rate but with a lot of people getting butt hurt in the process. I would suggest you go with your previous idea. Make two cities both groups can organize and design how they wish, going at the current rate these city plans will most likely just end up like woolhalla;a jumbled mess(I'm partially responsible for) that everyone will abandon when the new wears off of the jungle biome.

So split, let people go where they wish, finish your towns in your own time and style and let everyone be happy and lets have two decent cities instead of one sub par one.

P.s. Also none of your work will matter once drunk town consumes all.
    p.s.s I need a redstone technician and a organic builder to come to me and discuss the plausibility of a giant pooping butt hanging from a mountain.

Remember 12/21/2012 when the doctor saved us all once again.
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    Totally doable. I can redstone it up.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AeytherAeyther Registered User regular
    Woolhalla isn't that jumbled, most of it fits a theme. My tower might stand out a bit.

Has there been a date for when drunk town takes over?

• Options
    FerretFerret Registered User regular
    Aeyther wrote: »
    Woolhalla isn't that jumbled, most of it fits a theme. My tower might stand out a bit.

Still in the air. I was waiting for a day off (tomorrow) to post a more detailed description of the event but I assume a Friday night not long after everyone's college etc lets out for summer.
    My tower might stand out a bit too.

Remember 12/21/2012 when the doctor saved us all once again.
  • Options
    Aeyther wrote: »

Woolhalla is a democracy. Unfortunately the only people allowed to vote are sheep, and sheep cant read, hence the middling building code. The tower stuff is fine. I forget who was working on it, but I would really like if the weird redstone thing on the north of town got finished.
    I'm probably gonna leave jungle stuff for a while and go back to working on the fencing/lighting of woolhalla when I get a light level mod again.

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    Though we can still have a city in the old location I have moved the Ocelotl teleport to the new one.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    eldercoreeldercore Registered User regular
    we should have TWO jungle cities---
    AT WAR WITH EACH OTHER!

• Options
    Minecraft trench warfare!

• Options
    dargondarkfiredargondarkfire wyomingRegistered User regular
    everyone has been building wooden tents around the beach... half of wich have no sign saying who owns them.
    i wanted something a bit nicer so i built a larger tent built out of wool and fencing, after i finished it October gave me some pointers and helped me out and it now looks more like a tent then a wool box with wooden poles.

feel free to use it as a command center for building the city, (just no stealing my stuff or taking my bed please.

• Options
    Cathode Ray TubeCathode Ray Tube Registered User regular
    eldercore wrote: »
    @Cathode Ray Tube;
    You have been planning and working on the Woolhalla rail line and me and AzureOdyssey are wondering if you need any help, supplies, etc?
    From what we can tell the line will go directly between us, so we would like to help get it connected.
    Just wanted to get some clarification on the plans.

woolhalla_rail_02.jpg

It looks like "island x" may be directly in line, so we claimed it in case you need it. Otherwise it looks like you may burrow under it (and then we might use that as our rail intersection).

Any information is welcome.

@eldercore

Sorry I didn't get back to you, I haven't been keeping up on the thread the last few days. Yeah I've been working on the Woolhalla line but I don't have any grand unifying plan just yet.

Since I've only made it about 1/5 of the way to the western line and the island is 3/5th of the way I had some time to think about what I wanted to do.

Thanks for claiming the island. I'm not sure what I want to do with it yet. Both digging under it or having the line surface might be equally difficult.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hey guys,

I'm doing a new build on the scale of Deswen or Ispanbul Harbor near the Ocelotl area:

Encs-New-Build.jpg

Jubgle-Build-Plan.jpg

It will be a small Asian-themed port town, shinto shrine, and a massive jungle dungeon that (hopefully) will be less on the lethal side and more on the fun and challenging side. Because the build will likely take the entire highlighted area to complete, I wanted to notify folks so that no one builds on top of the underground portions.

With a little elbow grease, this will be a fun side-trip location for those visiting Ocelotl, with a story-arc being told both in the town, at the shrine, and inside the dungeon itself.

Enc on
This discussion has been closed.