As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] Operation Beachhead Next Weekend. Fun in the sun? MARK SPOILERS

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    For those of you who don't stalk Taky:

@Mike_Laidlaw I should be defensive as Fetch Quest Guy, but that's honestly hilarious.

Ambient Quest Completion Without Stopping Shep is the best Shep. Just tossing Bay D24 over your shoulder while saving lives.

Some C-Sec dude in Bay D24 is looking at a giant obelisk, data drives, and a kakliosaur skull and muttering about Spectres.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    yes

I love fetching 50 things and distributing them all in one session

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    I kept saying that ME3 was the best eavesdropping and busybody sim ever made.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    furthermore Vega is awesome fuck the haters

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    I thought Vega was great

he just lost out squad position because my first playthrough required me to take my bros that had been with me since the beginning, So Liara and Garrus came on basically every mission

he can come next time

• Options
    my favorite ambient interrupt is the recruitment one in the Commons

because the girl is just "Uhh... thanks, I guess?" and the guy has to remind her that's Commander Shepard

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    My first time through I cycled through everybody. Especially Javik.

Dude was hilarious.

This time it's all Garrus and Liara time.

• Options
    also it's impressive how Shepard makes a reasonable argument for both sides of all those interrupts

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Lemming wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Don't you mean Jacob?

Who?
    Fairchild wrote:
    Shepard's team includes the galaxy's deadliest assassin, the galaxy's deadliest bounty hunter, the galaxy's most brilliant scientist, the galaxy's most brilliant technician, the galaxy's most powerful human biotic, the galaxy's most notorious thief, the galaxy's greatest tactician, a perfect krogan, a perfect Cerberus operative, a geth envoy, and a justicar. And Jacob.

• Options
    I thought Jacob might be interesting in ME3

but nope he was the most boring part of a pretty cool mission

and then at the end I didn't even call him on the holo-phone

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Don't you mean Jacob?

Who?
    Fairchild wrote:
    Shepard's team includes the galaxy's deadliest assassin, the galaxy's deadliest bounty hunter, the galaxy's most brilliant scientist, the galaxy's most brilliant technician, the galaxy's most powerful human biotic, the galaxy's most notorious thief, the galaxy's greatest tactician, a perfect krogan, a perfect Cerberus operative, a geth envoy, and a justicar. And Jacob.

Before the ME3 Squad was announced, there was the dream:

Whole Team Is Jacob
    infinitejacob.png

Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I'm going to be honest

given everything else that happens, I kind of forgot about his mission

like, I did it, I just didn't remember doing it until someone reminded me about it

it's like they're going out of their way to make him forgettable

• Options
    eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    Don't you mean Jacob?

Who?
    Fairchild wrote:

But... Jacob is the galaxy's greatest Jacob!

His loyalty mission bothered the hell out of me. If he wasn't loyal in ME2, does he die in ME3?

LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • Options
    I remembered Jacob's mission because it had Dr Archer basically telling me I made a really stupid decision leaving David with Project Overlord and how eventually he had to put him out of his misery

and I'm like, yeah sorry about that but I always rescued him on my other Shepards so I needed to mix things up. If you had been in any of the other parallel universes he would be fine

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I remembered Jacob's mission because it had Dr Archer basically telling me I made a really stupid decision leaving David with Project Overlord and how eventually he had to put him out of his misery

and I'm like, yeah sorry about that but I always rescued him on my other Shepards so I needed to mix things up. If you had been in any of the other parallel universes he would be fine

Dr. Archer really is the most memorable part of that mission for me. Of course, that's mostly because the first time around
    I failed to do the Grissom Academy mission in time, so I told Dr. Archer that David's probably dead. Dr. Archer responds by walking off screen and offing himself.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

Dr. Archer really is the most memorable part of that mission for me. Of course, that's mostly because the first time around
    I failed to do the Grissom Academy mission in time, so I told Dr. Archer that David's probably dead. Dr. Archer responds by walking off screen and offing himself.
    That was good. Everything else about that mission was kinda weird.

Like the interior being a holstered-gun section with load breaks. What was the deal there?

• Options

Holy crap, that is dark. How... how do you actually discover that.

• Options

How do you discover he kills himself? As soon as you tell him about David, he says something like, "I think we both know this is the ending I deserve." He walks off screen and then you hear a single gunshot.

Dark, indeed.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Hmmm. Carefully timed Warps, Chain Overloads, and Reaves, with similarly careful charges and Novas.... man. I'm gonna have to try that! Not today. Soon.

It's really kind of funny how much Shepard's abilities and armor make certain strategies tenable in single player that would never pass muster in multiplayer. In single player I had like +108% cooldown bonus carrying the Claymore V. Shit yes. YES. Add in more and better damage bonuses for pretty much everything, easy access to more effective ammo powers...

Single player is fun because of how complex and varied your builds can get. Multiplayer is fun because you have to work within the limitations of someone who isn't Commander Shepard, but who is so bad-ass you kind of forget how much more bad-ass Shepard is. Enemies on Gold are exactly as strong as enemies on Insanity! Maybe even weaker, later in Insanity. But Shepard does not give a shit about those enemies.

i find vanguard a lot more fun in multi than in singleplayer

because in singleplayer the vanguard invincibility frames are FUCKED UP

i've died mid-charge countless times

not at the end of charge

DURING CHARGE

it's fucked up, and i'd gladly trade time dilation bullshit for the multiplayer vanguard mechanics

This has never ever, ever ever, ever ever happened to me, not once.

I am goign to blame

Your graphics card

play on insanity and it's like the enemies will kill through frames where you should be untouchable

i've died to GUNFIRE while mid-nova

invincibility frames MY ASS.

It's all I play on! I honestly haven't ever been killed mid-Charge, to the best of my knowledge, not when I was supposed to be invincible.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

How do you discover he kills himself? As soon as you tell him about David, he says something like, "I think we both know this is the ending I deserve." He walks off screen and then you hear a single gunshot.

Dark, indeed.

there's actually a few ways to achieve this
    1. the "let him worry" option which you can pull at any time, even if you saved Grissom

2. telling him that David actually died at Grissom

3. letting David stay at Overlord but resolving the geth/quarian situation first, when you tell Gavin that the geth are no longer a threat he concludes that the information he had to torture and mercy-kill his brother for is worthless anyway

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Just finished my second run. It was a lot easier this time to ignore the stupid parts of the ending and just enjoy the parts that are good.
    In trying to make sense of the completely nonsensical, I did happen to think that maybe the thing with the Normandy was supposed to be Joker discovering a garden world very near earth, thus assuaging players' fears that everyone would starve to death. Or perhaps just offering humans a new earth to populate, since the old one is decimated. So Joker sends a message to earth telling them about this amazing nearby planet within FTL that is just waiting for them! The alliance immediately sends a rescue team, as well as researchers to check out the viability of colonizing the new planet. At least, I think that's what they were going for.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Don't you mean Jacob?

Who?
    Fairchild wrote:

Jacob is sort of like Kai Leng. Same sort of background as Shepard, he's had the special ops training, he considers himself a bit of a badass, but he's like a no name brand Shepard-Lite. Unlike Leng, Jacob's a good guy, but he's still basically a ExtraFailShep.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Just finished my second run. It was a lot easier this time to ignore the stupid parts of the ending and just enjoy the parts that are good.
    In trying to make sense of the completely nonsensical, I did happen to think that maybe the thing with the Normandy was supposed to be Joker discovering a garden world very near earth, thus assuaging players' fears that everyone would starve to death. Or perhaps just offering humans a new earth to populate, since the old one is decimated. So Joker sends a message to earth telling them about this amazing nearby planet within FTL that is just waiting for them! The alliance immediately sends a rescue team, as well as researchers to check out the viability of colonizing the new planet. At least, I think that's what they were going for.
    Meanwhile, Tali and Garrus starve to death.

awesome.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The problem is that you're going to run into another logic headache if you stop and think for a moment.

Mainly... Joker just magically found an undiscovered perfect garden world so close to Earth? If you've ever read the planet descriptions throughout the games, they tend to describe garden worlds as being pretty rare. There are quite a few out there that seem perfect, but have some huge flaw that makes them not worth it. So the perfect worlds are extremely rare and worth their weight in gold. And there was one in Earth's backyard that nobody ever found until Joker tripped over it?

It's not the biggest plot hole in the world, but it's still a sizable chunk of one. At best, you can ignore it, but you're still basically saying "Earth was destroyed... but luckily there was a convenient replacement a few feet away.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    The problem is that you're going to run into another logic headache if you stop and think for a moment.

Mainly... Joker just magically found an undiscovered perfect garden world so close to Earth? If you've ever read the planet descriptions throughout the games, they tend to describe garden worlds as being pretty rare. There are quite a few out there that seem perfect, but have some huge flaw that makes them not worth it. So the perfect worlds are extremely rare and worth their weight in gold. And there was one in Earth's backyard that nobody ever found until Joker tripped over it?

It's not the biggest plot hole in the world, but it's still a sizable chunk of one. At best, you can ignore it, but you're still basically saying "Earth was destroyed... but luckily there was a convenient replacement a few feet away.
    All those plants around Joker? They eat people. He tried to run, but because of his bone disease he did not make it far.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Before the ME3 Squad was announced, there was the dream:

Whole Team Is Jacob
    infinitejacob.png
    This made me laugh hysterically for minutes on end.

Edit: It's the Jacob in the top left hand corner that does it. Every time. One crooked close to the camera bottom right also helps.

All I can picture is him saying "Hey guys. What's up?"

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Drell Adept is awesome but I wish I had Asari Adept.

BZZZZZZOWWWWZOOOOWOWWWW

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Meanwhile, Tali and Garrus starve to death.

awesome.
    Do cyborgs even need to eat?

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    man, I had the most frustrating winning silver game ever

my asari adept, two turian sentinels and a salarian engineer vs geth on dagger. We cleared pretty easily, but the whole game my warps were getting picked off by overload/energy drain spam

am I understanding correctly that if something else hits the mob between warp and throw, the biotic combo won't detonate?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    is there an easy way to add you guys to my Origin in bulk?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mass-Effect-3/Mass-Effect-3-Story-and-Campaign-Discussion-Spoilers-Allowed/So-I-found-my-copy-of-the-Mass-Effect-3-Game-Informer-10927975-1.html
    “In Mass Effect 3, you know you need to take back Earth, but the path to victory is less clear at the outset. You won’t just find some long-lost Reaper “off” button; says Hudson”“Don’t expect to win the loyalty of the galaxy by simply completing a series of fetch quests,”

This is a text block entitled MASS EFFECT MEETS MULTIPLAYER?

“When the teaser for Mass Effect 3 first released, rumours were swirling that the project was actually a multiplayer title set in the Mass Effect universe. Those rumours turned out to be false, but it got many gamers thinking about how a multiplayer component would fit into the Mass Effect trilogy. Rest assured, the team has thought about this, too. “As a single-player experience, and just as a world that people want to immerse themselves in and share, we’ve been trying to think of a way that makes sense for people to experience Mass Effect with their friends,” says executive producer Casey Hudson. “We haven’t yet come up with a way to do that, so we don’t have anything to announce at this time. But, obviously, multiplayer is something we want to do more of in the future as a company.”

In a section called BEYOND THE TRILOGY:

“… part of what you’re trying to do is save the universe so you can live in it. That’s part of the promise, I think, for any great IP. It has to be a world worth saving… I think Mass Effect has that quality to it. If you get rid of the Reapers and win that, wouldn’t it be amazing to just live on the Citadel or just take a ship to Omega? That makes sense.”

Just expect to win the loyalty of most of the galaxy by simply completing a series of fetch quests.

Instead of an off button, we just get a more complicated off button that does different things depending on which button you press.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mass-Effect-3/Mass-Effect-3-Story-and-Campaign-Discussion-Spoilers-Allowed/So-I-found-my-copy-of-the-Mass-Effect-3-Game-Informer-10927975-1.html
    “In Mass Effect 3, you know you need to take back Earth, but the path to victory is less clear at the outset. You won’t just find some long-lost Reaper “off” button; says Hudson”“Don’t expect to win the loyalty of the galaxy by simply completing a series of fetch quests,”

This is a text block entitled MASS EFFECT MEETS MULTIPLAYER?

“When the teaser for Mass Effect 3 first released, rumours were swirling that the project was actually a multiplayer title set in the Mass Effect universe. Those rumours turned out to be false, but it got many gamers thinking about how a multiplayer component would fit into the Mass Effect trilogy. Rest assured, the team has thought about this, too. “As a single-player experience, and just as a world that people want to immerse themselves in and share, we’ve been trying to think of a way that makes sense for people to experience Mass Effect with their friends,” says executive producer Casey Hudson. “We haven’t yet come up with a way to do that, so we don’t have anything to announce at this time. But, obviously, multiplayer is something we want to do more of in the future as a company.”

In a section called BEYOND THE TRILOGY:

“… part of what you’re trying to do is save the universe so you can live in it. That’s part of the promise, I think, for any great IP. It has to be a world worth saving… I think Mass Effect has that quality to it. If you get rid of the Reapers and win that, wouldn’t it be amazing to just live on the Citadel or just take a ship to Omega? That makes sense.”

Just expect to win the loyalty of most of the galaxy by simply completing a series of fetch quests.

Instead of an off button, we just get a more complicated off button that does different things depending on which button you press.

It's like being trolled from the past. :(

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    All those pre-release quotes just boggle my mind in light of what happened. What were they thinking? What happened?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Okay.

Seriously.

How do I use medigel in multiplayer? I die, and the word "spacebar" is flashing next to my death timer, I press it, and nothing happens.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    You keep pressing spacebar to stay alive until one of your teammates can come revive you. Using medigel is 7.

• Options
    Agent PropagandiAgent Propagandi Registered User regular
    man, I had the most frustrating winning silver game ever

my asari adept, two turian sentinels and a salarian engineer vs geth on dagger. We cleared pretty easily, but the whole game my warps were getting picked off by overload/energy drain spam

am I understanding correctly that if something else hits the mob between warp and throw, the biotic combo won't detonate?

They become layered. If an enemy is hit by Warp then Overload your first throw will detonate the Overload for a Tech Burst, your second will detonate the Warp. Tech Burst is not very noticeable.

Steam | Origin: AgentProp | Website
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Okay.

Seriously.

How do I use medigel in multiplayer? I die, and the word "spacebar" is flashing next to my death timer, I press it, and nothing happens.

Dhal, I love you, never change.

Also, as the man above me said: Keep pressing spacebar to slow down your bleeding out and Medigel is default on "7" in the power bar. If you have medigel, there should actually be a little prompt popping up saying "Press 7 to use medigel".

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    You should just rebind "stay alive longer" to the mouse button, for less noisy mashing.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Fun set of Silvers on Live this morning, guys.

Frickin' Phantoms, though. Yeesh.

Look forward to next time.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options

It's less of a mystery than you think.
    The planet is Zorya, the one on Zaeed's loyalty mission. Does this skybox look familiar to you?

5042593786_5da674485c.jpg

Zorya also has a dextro population since there were turian mercs there, so there should be food for Tali and Garrus.

PNk1Ml4.png