As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Lets Play] Discworld Noir: A film noir, fantasy, point and click adventure

theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
edited April 2012 in Games and Technology
I'm going to give this, my first LP, a good go.

Shamelessly stolen from the Discworld Noir wikipedia page:
Discworld Noir is a computer game based on Terry Pratchett's Discworld comic fantasy novels, and unlike the previous Discworld games is both an example and parody of the noir genre. The game was developed by Perfect Entertainment and published by GT Interactive. It was originally released in 1999 for Microsoft Windows. In 2000 it was ported to the PlayStation by Teeny Weeny Games, the resurrected form of the already insolvent Perfect. Pratchett was consulted on the story and wrote some of the dialogue; he was credited in-game for causing "far too much interference." As it is a film noir parody, the game's protagonist Lewton frequently engages in hard-boiled soliloquy, or monologue.

Basically its a film noir point and click adventure game, set in the fantasy universe of Terry Pratchett's Discworld.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1sPdzeetsI

I'm aware that my microphone work needs doing, but due to the fact that the dev company pretty much disbanded upon this game coming out, it never really got patched for XP and beyond and you can't crank up the resolution, so as far as graphics are concerned we may be in a bit of trouble.

I stand by my statement that this is a gem of a game, and I'd like to hear how you'd like me to proceed with this game and if there's anything LP-wise you'd like me to improve :D

EDIT: Reuploaded on 7/04/2012 for great clarity.

theSquid on

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    And all of a sudden, the avatar makes sense. :)

I'm in a bit of a rush so I've only watched the first few minutes.

I think you definitely need to work on the mic situation. It's very hard to hear what you're saying, and the opening monologue just came across as a fast paced blur. Also, I'd recommend against reading through long and fast stretches of text like that unless you can read it REALLY fast, and clearly, and do so in a manner that gives a tonne of personality to the words. It's extremely hard to do even at the best of times.

EDIT: Also, another little piece of advice. It may be handy over the course of the LP if you offer some context for things on occasion (you haven't needed to since the game just started so I have no idea whether you were planning on this anyway), because I doubt a lot of the people here will have read any of the Discworld books. The game's easily playable even without that knowledge IIRC, but I don't know whether people would find the background info on some of the characters and places useful or not. If you've read the books the game naturally contains references to a tonne of stuff in them.

subedii on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Is that Rob Brydon?

• Options
    subedii: I'll try to keep context in mind, I've read most of the Discworld novels so I generally know my stuff. I mostly tried to voice that monologue for the fuck of it, since its the only one in the game that isn't voice acted. (in fact it is in fact voice acted by a character later on anyway). My biggest concern is the mic situation though.

rhan9: wiki says yes!

• Options
    Sweet. I've worked my way through a third of the Discworld novels, so this should be great.

Suggestions: Get a good mic, and do some testing to figure out a good volume balance with game sounds/music and mic volume. Also, you could do something along the lines of Discworld trivia when you come across Discworld specific stuff, like explaining concepts in a sentence or two. Delving too deeply into the world explanations would distract from the story, so brief clarification for Discworld concepts in relations to the game plot would be sufficient. Obviously avoiding any spoilers for the books if possible would be a good idea.

Good luck with this.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Awesome, I always wanted to either play or watch a LP of this.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Part 2: Gameplay mechanics and Mr. Scoplett!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqS-_ktLhII

So I bought a desktop mic and abandoned the one on my headset. My voice is very much audible now. Now I just gotta make the voices a bit louder ingame to match my own but otherwise I think we're good!

In this episode I wander around the office showing you how the gameplay works and then I interview the first mate of the Milka!

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I so want to play this game rather than watch it but I hear that technology will really be against me.

Have you managed to wrestle it into action on a modern system or do you have an ancient box?

How about the PS port, would that be any good if I dug the PS2 out into action?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Part 3: The Cafe Ankh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5k4_eBLAuw

Oh shit! It's a third part! I hope you enjoy.

• Options
    I so want to play this game rather than watch it but I hear that technology will really be against me.

Have you managed to wrestle it into action on a modern system or do you have an ancient box?

How about the PS port, would that be any good if I dug the PS2 out into action?

Someone in a dark and frightening part of the internet (not really, but it was a random forum I can no longer remember, and cannot be truly sure ever really existed) posted up an executable that would run on Windows 7, and running it in Administrator Mode it appears to work okay. "Resume Game" on the main menu is fucked as always. Click New Game and from then on always use F1 (even in the main menu) to bring up the options menu which will allow you to load, save and exit.

I don't know about the PS port myself.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I got the PS versions of all three Discworld games (out of a sense of completeness once my computer became too awesome to run the True Versions).
    They're playable, but none of them are as good as the PC versions.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Part 4: The Milka and the Octarine Parrot

Let's recap what's happened so far:
    Lewton gets a straightforward job from a dame named Carlotta: find Mundy, her lover. He was supposed to have arrived in Ankh-Morpork three days ago on the Milka.

Lewton visits the Milka as its docked at the wharf, wherein he speaks to the first mate, a Mr. Scoplett. Scoplett tells him that he didn't know where Mundy was, that there were two other passengers, that there was a dwarf earlier that was asking about Mundy, and that something was definitely amiss on that last voyage. Upon asking for permission to search the ship, Lewton was flatly rejected and directed to Captain Jenkins, currently swilling ale at the Cafe Ankh.

From here Lewton went to the Cafe Ankh, where he'd spent many a year before swilling cheap wine himself. He finds the vampire bartender Sam playing his old tune, a song he can't stand anymore. Captain Jenkins is in the cafe, drunk as a lord, and with very little idea about the passengers that were aboard his ship. All he knew was that something was amiss on that last voyage.

Also in the cafe was Corporal Nobby, an old friend of Lewton's from the Watch. Nobby says the new Watch House is now at Pseudopolis Yard, a pretty nice upgrade from what it was. Captain Vimes still hates Lewton for taking a bribe, the reason he was kicked out of the Watch. Nobby says that if Lewton needed help from the Watch, he could always visit the yard. Lewton leaves the Cafe.

Which brings us to the latest episode, where we break onto the Milka!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDVR_litNIc

edit: surprise twist! I won't be doing a video right after this one because my comp crashed about a minute before it was due to finish! I'll do it again tomorrow -_-

theSquid on
  • Options
    UPDATE: This is still going, its just that every time I do a recording something horrible happens (comp crashes, mic mysteriously disconnects) I've pretty much got the next three vids planned out.

• Options
    Also, Octarine is the eighth color, perceivable only to the magically inclined and cats. It's sorta greenish purple.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Part 5: Ilsa

Previously, on Discworld Noir:
    Breaking onto the Milka we find three things of importance:
    1) In the cargo hold it appears that something had made a lair there.
    2) We found a weird label floating amongst the flotsam in a strange language.
    3) We found a scrap of paper in a bunk bed with either a 6 or a 9 on it.

Having done that we visited Pseudopolis Yard, the Watch House, where Nobby proved to be completely clueless both to the Mundy case and his own murder case. However upon leaving a troll by the name of Malachite stepped out of the shadows and demanded that we find a troll named Therma, who used to sing at the Octarine Parrot.

Seeing as how we'd hit a dead end for the Mundy case, we visited the Octarine Parrot and found it to be seedier than a bakery room floor. We also found out from a troll singer called Sapphire that Therma wasn't there anymore, but used the stage name 'Madame Lodestone'. And that's where we left off.

And now for the latest installment wherein we pursue the Therma case as far as it will go and chase up a lead on the Mundy case!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECA-S-7Y5q0

EDIT: I just did a brand new Part 1 since the mic issue was so bad on the original. I'll be uploading that in a jiffy.

theSquid on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Part 6: The von Uberwald Mansion

Recap:
    Lewton returned to his office to find a dwarf called Al Khali (which is also the name of a desert city) poking around through his stuff and giving him vague threats. Lewton violently ejected him from the premises.

We discovered that an ex of Lewton's, Ilsa, was one of the passengers on the Milka along with her Agatean companion Two Conkers. (The Agatean Empire is pretty much fantasy Japan) She could decipher the label we found in the Milka as being Agatean writing which translated to "Pier 5" which was where the Milka unloaded its cargo. We were unable to get into the warehouse.

Nobby told us that Madame Lodestone had died when her house collapsed in on her and she was buried at the Selachii Mausoleum, a graveyard for nobles and their servitors. Lewton, however, was unable to find where exactly in the graveyard she was buried and decided he needed some help.

Finally, returning again to his office Lewton finds a card at the door, which is an invitation by Carlotta to stop by her house to update her on the case. Carlotta happens to be a von Uberwald, who are a fairly wealthy and influential family in Ankh-Morpork.

And now, Lewton visits the von Uberwald mansion.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGMU7xCveA4

theSquid on
  • Options
    Part 7: Mundy

Recap:
    Carlotta wed into the von Uberwald family, and her husband has since died. It appears however that she does not control control the purse strings of the von Uberwald household, rather, her uncle Count von Uberwald does. After updating him on the case he agrees to continue paying you so long as he stays informed. He appears to be old and near death, no longer able to leave his house.

Carlotta is capable of finding Madame Lodestone's tomb for you, and upon locating it she promptly leaves. You are unable to open the tomb to confirm her identity.

And now, we break open the tomb, and then start tracking Mundy down again.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aOOKAYLSnY