As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] Resurgence MP DLC on the 10th; 6 chars, 3 guns, 2 maps. MARK SPOILERS!

• Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    You know what's awesome? Losing my connection 10 seconds before we win the match.

I'm so sorry, man. That never happened before. The only problem that appeared when I was hosting before was our group getting stuck at the loading screen once, and even then we got the experience and credits after relaunching.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Mass-Effect-3-DLC-Will-Not-Change-the-Ending-EA-Reportedly-Says-262610.shtml#add_review_form
    A brand new report has appeared about the upcoming DLC for Mass Effect 3, this time with a Mexican newspaper quoting an Electronic Arts representative who says that any future expansions will only explain details about the ending, instead of changing it completely.

Mass Effect 3’s conclusion generated a heated debate on the web, with some gamers being satisfied with the ending, while the majority started expressing their disappointment through campaigns and other such efforts.

After the studio confirmed last month that a downloadable add-on will appear that addresses the ending, things settled down, as lots of people are now expecting news about the expansion.

According to Mexican newspaper Reforma, via the BSN forums, this DLC won’t actually change the ending of the game.

Instead, according to EA’s Latin America director of marketing and PR, Daniel Gonzales, the ending is only going to explain certain details.

The official Mass Effect Twitter account has dismissed this report and once again confirmed that actual Mass Effect 3 DLC news will be made available soon enough.

Emphasis mine.

Ah yes, 'DLC'... we have dismissed this theory...

Every time I see this line it reminds me of the absolute best dialogue moment in all of ME3
    Legion: After we returned to the consensus, the Geth understood that the Old Machines were coming. We began preparing for war.

Shepard: Wait, the Geth believed you when you warned them about the Reapers?

Legion: Of course.

Shepard: Must've been nice.

I saw my brother playing that as MaleShep... Meer didn't deliver that line nearly as well as Hale...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Oh dear that Game Informer
    “… part of what you’re trying to do is save the universe so you can live in it. That’s part of the promise, I think, for any great IP. It has to be a world worth saving… I think Mass Effect has that quality to it. If you get rid of the Reapers and win that, wouldn’t it be amazing to just live on the Citadel or just take a ship to Omega? That makes sense.”

Emphasis mine

*eye twitch*

override367 on
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    Sounds like the latin PR guy is just regurgitating Bioware's original press release. I wouldn't make much out of it.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I distinctly remember someone posting a twitter message shortly after they said they were going to address the issue where someone asked them how they were going to change the ending and they explicitly said "we never said we were going to change the ending, only clarify".

But I don't use twitter so it's not something I saved or could find.

We'll see either way, but if people are honestly expecting a genuinely changed ending, I think there's gonna be quite a bit of disappointment.

It's just going to be "clarifications", and indoc theory isn't a clarification, it is a completely different ending Indoc theory requires it to have been pre-planned, and it's been made extremely clear that it wasn't their intent and that Hudson/Walters genuinely thought the ending they wrote was a good way to end the series.

EDIT: God I hate twitter. It's virtually impossible to actually search for something you want to find, particularly with those corporate accounts that post nine billion times a day and say the same damn thing over and over. No way I'm finding the tweet I was referring to.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    You know what's awesome? Losing my connection 10 seconds before we win the match.

I'm so sorry, man. That never happened before. The only problem that appeared when I was hosting before was our group getting stuck at the loading screen once, and even then we got the experience and credits after relaunching.
    I don't understand how that would be your fault? I was assuming it was on my end. Besides, it's only mildly irritating as I guess I'll just have to play MP some more. Darn!

steam_sig.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I distinctly remember someone posting a twitter message shortly after they said they were going to address the issue where someone asked them how they were going to change the ending and they explicitly said "we never said we were going to change the ending, only clarify".

We'll see either way, but if people are honestly expecting a genuinely changed ending, I think there's gonna be quite a bit of disappointment.

It's just going to be "clarifications", and indoc theory isn't a clarification, it is a completely different ending Indoc theory requires it to have been pre-planned, and it's been made extremely clear that it wasn't their intent and that Hudson/Walters genuinely thought the ending they wrote was a good way to end the series.

Yeah Hudson and Walters really like their ending, most of us just aren't smart enough to "get it", so they're going to have a "spell it out" DLC that is probably going to make things worse

We'll see, how shitty it is determines if I get anymore DLC after that

Meh, I can see this going two ways:

- The ending is actually changed in response to fans. I'd be more than happy with that!

- The ending answers some of the many questions about the ending, possibly making it less illogical/plagued by plotholes or "better", showing
    that the same transportation speeds may be possible again in the future, races will survive, not everyone will starve to death isolated etc.

Either way I'm happy!

steam_sig.png

ME3
    Being in the underground ruins of tuchanka seems like a real missed opportunity for some horror survival and just fell short. Although getting bum rushed by 3 brutes on the surface made up for that.

This reminds me. I was so disappointed that they didn't
    throw Banshees in those pitch-black areas of the Monastery. Seriously, how fucking great would that have been? It's already super spooky, you just have your flashlight.. then suddenly RAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRWWWWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!! and you see this monster teleporting towards you at crazy fast speeds. That would have been an amazing freak out moment.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    Despite all the controversy over the endings, I thought they were pretty well done, cinematically I guess? I'm not sure what the term I'm looking for is but I liked
    the music playing as Shepard walked forward firing his pistol, and then the scenes of the soldiers on Earth fighting as the Reapers are destroyed, and finally, the relays being destroyed does all make for a pretty bittersweet ending. I'm not saying that plot-wise everything works, but I think the imagery combined with the music (I really like that track that plays then, I'm not sure what it's called) works pretty well on an emotional level.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Clarification isn't magically going to fix all the gaping plot holes and nonsense in the ending, Bioware. Try again. Get the team to write a new ending, and Walters and Hudson are only allowed to supervise—they're pretty good at that, judging by the rest of the game that they didn't write.

• Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    ME3
    Being in the underground ruins of tuchanka seems like a real missed opportunity for some horror survival and just fell short. Although getting bum rushed by 3 brutes on the surface made up for that.

throw Banshees in those pitch-black areas of the Monastery. Seriously, how fucking great would that have been? It's already super spooky, you just have your flashlight.. then suddenly RAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRWWWWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!! and you see this monster teleporting towards you at crazy fast speeds. That would have been an amazing freak out moment.
    I know right? My feelings of that area were on par with HL2 pitch black areas. The tension and the mounting dread of terrible things to come. To have nothing happen at all just sort of left me a bit flustered.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Look at DA2: high production values on both DLC, addressing most of the complaints about the main game and previous DLC (whatever else you say about them, the environments were not re-used, and your NPCs were just as chatty in the DLC as they were in the main game).

Really? I should try these out. I bought Legacy but never got around to playing it. Figured I wouldn't buy the Felica Day one until I bothered to play Legacy :P

I enjoyed both of the DLC, and, more importantly, it felt like Bio really knew that they done screwed up, and were trying to make it up to us. The outcry about DA2 was nowhere near the level of pissed off it was for ME3.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/343/index/9544143

Posting this here just in advance, patch notes are about to be incomming. I estimate it'll take no more than a few minutes!

steam_sig.png

edited April 2012
    Look at DA2: high production values on both DLC, addressing most of the complaints about the main game and previous DLC (whatever else you say about them, the environments were not re-used, and your NPCs were just as chatty in the DLC as they were in the main game).

Really? I should try these out. I bought Legacy but never got around to playing it. Figured I wouldn't buy the Felica Day one until I bothered to play Legacy :P

I enjoyed both of the DLC, and, more importantly, it felt like Bio really knew that they done screwed up, and were trying to make it up to us. The outcry about DA2 was nowhere near the level of pissed off it was for ME3.

For what it's worth I did like DA2. The only real issue I had with the game was that the reused environments were too frequent and didn't even bother to update the map. So you could see all the areas you couldn't get to and it made it REAL obvious it was reused. The randomly spawning in the middle of combat enemies was kind of dumb too. Also the bullshit plot device at the end to force you to fight the side you sided with if only for the sake of having two end bosses (for Templars I can get this, but the Mages made no damn sense)

But seriously, you could play snarky Hawke, which was awesome. Snarky Hawke is the best Hawke.

Warlock82 on
    edited April 2012
    Found it:
    eMYVd.jpg

EDIT: I'd say that was pretty clear as to their intent. That's not really PR speak and talk around.

The Dude With Herpes on

• kaz67kaz67 Registered User regular
    While I still think the ending was horrible, time + getting into the multilayer has pretty much gotten rid of any anger. Now I kind of wish those people petitioning had asked for new multilayer modes instead to be honest.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    ME3

Yes, I feel like there were a lot of missed opportunities for some really good horror. I remember the first time I did the dead reaper or the collector ship in 2, how terrified I was at those levels even after several times playing through them. Even that one abandoned space station was terrifying the first time. Nothing really scared me in ME3, except maybe that last part of Rannoch (you know, the chargin' mah lazer one).

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    kaz67 wrote: »
    While I still think the ending was horrible, time + getting into the multilayer has pretty much gotten rid of any anger. Now I kind of wish those people petitioning had asked for new multilayer modes instead to be honest.

I'm sure they had planned for that all along.

If anything I'd guess that the whole ending fiasco delayed multiplayer DLC that we might have otherwise already had out of fear of pissing off players even more.

But honestly at this point, I play multi so much that I'm honestly hankering for more multiplayer DLC than I am anything regarding the ending or single player.

• LuxLux Registered User regular

Yeah Hudson and Walters really like their ending, most of us just aren't smart enough to "get it", so they're going to have a "spell it out" DLC that is probably going to make things worse

See, I think projecting arrogance and maliciousness on their part is part of the problem.

• Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular

Unless EA relents and puts a complete DA2 combo pack on steam for cheap I will never get to see how they may have addressed those concerns. Its safe to say that no matter how much I may have disliked ME3's ending 15 hours of DA2 deserved most of the scorn I heaped on that game. Unfortunately I think that DA2 true bitterness to me really tainted my early thoughts on the ME3 ending and I am particularly glad that internal phase is over.

I am so glad I didn't purchase DA2. I don't want to think how my irrational hatred of that game would have affected my future Bioware purchases.

• eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    A dark map with a horde of Husks would've been great. Like in the ruins of Tuchanka.

I really hope I get the Valiant this time, as Quinfiltrator is my favorite class to play and I really don't want the shotgun or need another pistol.

LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Just finished my second run. It was a lot easier this time to ignore the stupid parts of the ending and just enjoy the parts that are good.
    In trying to make sense of the completely nonsensical, I did happen to think that maybe the thing with the Normandy was supposed to be Joker discovering a garden world very near earth, thus assuaging players' fears that everyone would starve to death. Or perhaps just offering humans a new earth to populate, since the old one is decimated. So Joker sends a message to earth telling them about this amazing nearby planet within FTL that is just waiting for them! The alliance immediately sends a rescue team, as well as researchers to check out the viability of colonizing the new planet. At least, I think that's what they were going for.
    Meanwhile, Tali and Garrus starve to death.

awesome.

Just saw this reply in the other thread, so addressing it
    My point with assuming that they were trying to communicate that it is a planet near earth (within FTL speeds), is that at worst it'll be a few hours before another ship can come pick them up. Bringing food for Tali and Garrus, although there's already food on the ship for them to last a while, I'm sure.

Or if you're talking about long term food, the liveships came with the Quarians in to battle, so they have not only food to feed dextro-based life, they also have seeds and livestock, and whatever else they need to propagate that food for as long as they need.

I mean yeah, it was extremely poorly thought out for sure, and five minutes of an outside party proofreading the thing would have solved a lot of the problems there are with it. I'm just saying what I think the writers' intentions were, since the intended mood for the ending (by the writers' admission) is "bittersweet" not "bleak as fuck".
    there are no planets in SOL with plantlife that is within FTL distance.

here's a question. If Quarians and Turrians are both dextro-protein based, does that mean that one can cannibalize the other?

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Shameless steal from the SA forums, just because:
    Dmog4.png

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Just finished my second run. It was a lot easier this time to ignore the stupid parts of the ending and just enjoy the parts that are good.
    In trying to make sense of the completely nonsensical, I did happen to think that maybe the thing with the Normandy was supposed to be Joker discovering a garden world very near earth, thus assuaging players' fears that everyone would starve to death. Or perhaps just offering humans a new earth to populate, since the old one is decimated. So Joker sends a message to earth telling them about this amazing nearby planet within FTL that is just waiting for them! The alliance immediately sends a rescue team, as well as researchers to check out the viability of colonizing the new planet. At least, I think that's what they were going for.
    Meanwhile, Tali and Garrus starve to death.

awesome.

Just saw this reply in the other thread, so addressing it
    My point with assuming that they were trying to communicate that it is a planet near earth (within FTL speeds), is that at worst it'll be a few hours before another ship can come pick them up. Bringing food for Tali and Garrus, although there's already food on the ship for them to last a while, I'm sure.

Or if you're talking about long term food, the liveships came with the Quarians in to battle, so they have not only food to feed dextro-based life, they also have seeds and livestock, and whatever else they need to propagate that food for as long as they need.

I mean yeah, it was extremely poorly thought out for sure, and five minutes of an outside party proofreading the thing would have solved a lot of the problems there are with it. I'm just saying what I think the writers' intentions were, since the intended mood for the ending (by the writers' admission) is "bittersweet" not "bleak as fuck".
    there are no planets in SOL with plantlife that is within FTL distance.

here's a question. If Quarians and Turrians are both dextro-protein based, does that mean that one can cannibalize the other?

I'm not sure, but the guy who analyzed Quarian sweat could probably tell you what it would taste like!

steam_sig.png

• kaz67kaz67 Registered User regular
    kaz67 wrote: »

I'm sure they had planned for that all along.

If anything I'd guess that the whole ending fiasco delayed multiplayer DLC that we might have otherwise already had out of fear of pissing off players even more.

But honestly at this point, I play multi so much that I'm honestly hankering for more multiplayer DLC than I am anything regarding the ending or single player.

Same here. Not sure if it would be feasible, but I am praying for something like the versus mode in left4dead.

evilthecat wrote: »
    Dmog4.png

That's still the best thing ever

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Lux wrote: »

See, I think projecting arrogance and maliciousness on their part is part of the problem.

Maliciousness, no. Arrogance? I think they deserve that label based on actions that they already took.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Dmog4.png
    That was posted both there and here on that day.

• ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Dmog4.png

That's still the best thing ever

That joke makes a lot more sense to me this time around, since I've actually finished the game.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    More like shamelessly stolen from three weeks, nine threads, and a billion posts ago.

Posting this here just in advance, patch notes are about to be incomming. I estimate it'll take no more than a few minutes!

Man, he has to make a new post and then edit every previous update down a post to put the latest in the top one? That's going to get annoying before long, he should just be lazy and make it the latest post.

s7Imn5J.png
  • LegendofLinkLegendofLink Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I get the feeling that the fact that the flashlight sections in ME3 didn't have any fights may have been due to engine constraints. Having enemies attacking and bullets and powers flying combined with the requirements on the graphics engine to produce the lighting effects may have bogged down performance too much to give us any fights down there. This is all just a guess, though, and it's still a shame that flashlight encounters didn't happen.

LegendofLink on
  • Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    Bioware is kidding themselves if they think clarifying dlc will solve anything. The ending doesn't need clarifying, it is already clearly a pile of garbage, you can't work with garbage. I mean, the ending is so fundamentally flawed that thy either need to change it, or leave it as is, clarifying won't fix anything.

• Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Meh, I can see this going two ways:

- The ending is actually changed in response to fans. I'd be more than happy with that!

- The ending answers some of the many questions about the ending, possibly making it less illogical/plagued by plotholes or "better", showing
    that the same transportation speeds may be possible again in the future, races will survive, not everyone will starve to death isolated etc.

Either way I'm happy!

I would actually prefer a new ending achievable through DLC, while keeping the current three endings untouched. That way they could maintain their work of art, but then have a thing people liked. Arthur Conan Doyle didn't rewrite the Holmes story where he dies, but he did write a story later where Holmes explained how he faked his own death...

I know other people would rage about this, but I honestly think that From the Ashes should have some influence on the ending, as well.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Ad astra wrote: »
    Bioware is kidding themselves if they think clarifying dlc will solve anything. The ending doesn't need clarifying, it is already clearly a pile of garbage, you can't work with garbage. I mean, the ending is so fundamentally flawed that thy either need to change it, or leave it as is, clarifying won't fix anything.

I want to see them explain the green ending. It should be good for a laugh.

Luckily, everyone can just watch the endings on youtube instead of buying the DLC!

Couscous on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I get the feeling that the fact that the flashlight sections in ME3 didn't have any fights may have been due to engine constraints. Having enemies attacking and bullets and powers flying combined with the requirements on the graphics engine to produce the lighting effects may have bogged down performance too much to give us any fights down there. This is all just a guess, though, and it's still a shame that flashlight encounters didn't happen.

Dude... the Monastery.

That would've been some Dead Space level pants-bricking right there.

• lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    So anyway, way back I questioned the worth of the Valiant based on its stats.

I'm a fucking idiot, that thing is sliced awesome.

World's best janitor
  • IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    There's a new Spectre pack in the store for 99k with a bigger chance for rares apparently.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Carnifex Heavy Pistol
    - Encumbrance increased from [0.75-0.35] to [1.0-0.5]

Paladin Heavy Pistol
    - Encumbrance increased from [0.75-0.35] to [1.0-0.5]

...dammit.

• eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    Wow... I just opened the most worthless Victory pack.

These Premium Spectre packs look hot though.

LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979