As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Forming a More Perfect Union

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    only emergent trader middle class yeomans survive

This is a good subject for a sci fi novel!

• HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Maximum wrote: »
    Her dumbshit boyfriend is refusing to sell his mineral rights in West Virginia because he'd have to pay taxes on them, leaving him only a couple hundred dollars in profit and he's fucking unemployed.

You may be right and he may be an idiot but there are a lot of good reasons not to sell your mineral rights.

for instance, precious metal prices have continuously been skyrocketing

Glenn Beck has been talking to you about gold huh?

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hunter wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    in my experience the only people who are in favor of not taxing the rich more are people with rich families or people deluded enough to think they, one day, will be rich (most americans)

like once i tried to explain why i think we need more significant estate taxes and the only argument i could heard in favor of no estate tax was "but then my parents would give me less money"

Then you need to find more people to have more intelligent conversations with. Though I personally don't have a problem with estate taxes there are perfectly logical arguments to be made against them.

The only argument needed to be pro estate taxes is Paris Hilton.

There's no reason she should benefit in any way at all in life, especially if it's only because of a cosmic coincidence she was born into that family.

Paris Hilton is exactly why I don't have a problem with estate taxes conceptually and I feel the estate taxes on the super rich should be far higher than they are. The "whoever dies with the most net worth wins" thing we seem to have in this world pisses me off to no end. Yes you are welcome to make as much money as you want but fucking spend it on shit! Buy a gold yacht with a diamond toilet or whatever. At least someone is being paid to design, build, and maintain that shit for you.

Diamond toilet paper would destroy your asshole something fierce.

Just saying.

Won't leave any remnants in your butt hair though. Hell you probably wouldn't even have butt hair anymore!

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Her dumbshit boyfriend is refusing to sell his mineral rights in West Virginia because he'd have to pay taxes on them, leaving him only a couple hundred dollars in profit and he's fucking unemployed.

You may be right and he may be an idiot but there are a lot of good reasons not to sell your mineral rights.

he is the gold standard in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYTrg0xJsKU&feature=related

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    metz

seriously

you constantly do this

just

stop

sit back and actually think and research issues other than talking to your fucking lit 1 professor and vomiting back teenage marxist rhetoric please

i don't even go to college, dude, i just fucking hate rich people.

awesome

of course, watching my family of four try to subsist on 24,000 dollars a year all growing up, being unable to afford a decent education, watching the wealthy kids in class get heaped with accolades they didn't deserve because their daddy's one of the good old boys...

y'know, none of that could've had anything to do with it.
    so you're bitter and have no actual argument other than that?

cool

perhaps instead of blaming the wealthy for being successful, you could instead blame society for not restructuring our social safety net plans
    boo hoo, my vast sums of wealth, boo ho

yes the wealthy are not people because....

hey man i never said that

they're just usually bad people

cite plz

I don't blame the wealthy for their successes, bro, this isn't about jealousy or resentment, it's about people who, given the option, would hunt the fucking poor for sport having all the fucking power in this country while good, decent people like my parents, smart and talented people, had to be on fucking food stamps for half their adult lives. wealthy people generally get that way by exploiting those beneath them, socially and economically, or by virtue of having the good luck to be born into money.

Class warfare DOES exist, and the wealthy have been waging it successfully for hundreds of years.

if you think that an argument founded on "this isn't about jealousy or resentment, it's about people who, given the option, would hunt the fucking poor for sport..." is going to do anything other than be laughed out of the room, I don't know what to fucking tell you.

it's exactly about resentment and jealousy if your argument is "the wealthy are literally so evil that they would enact the plot of The Most Dangerous game"

in my experience the only people who are in favor of not taxing the rich more are people with rich families or people deluded enough to think they, one day, will be rich (most americans)

like once i tried to explain why i think we need more significant estate taxes and the only argument i could heard in favor of no estate tax was "but then my parents would give me less money"

Then you need to find more people to have more intelligent conversations with. Though I personally don't have a problem with estate taxes there are perfectly logical arguments to be made against them.

The only argument needed to be pro estate taxes is Paris Hilton.

There's no reason she should benefit in any way at all in life, especially if it's only because of a cosmic coincidence she was born into that family.

Paris Hilton is exactly why I don't have a problem with estate taxes conceptually and I feel the estate taxes on the super rich should be far higher than they are. The "whoever dies with the most net worth wins" thing we seem to have in this world pisses me off to no end. Yes you are welcome to make as much money as you want but fucking spend it on shit! Buy a gold yacht with a diamond toilet or whatever. At least someone is being paid to design, build, and maintain that shit for you.

Diamond toilet paper would destroy your asshole something fierce.

Just saying.

Won't leave any remnants in your butt hair though. Hell you probably wouldn't even have butt hair anymore!

my dream realized

uhh yeah, every precious metal has been going up in price including the ones that don't get advertised on AM radio. this has to do less with amateur golfers buying it up and more to do with the only places left with those metals in abundance are war torn or logistically challenging

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    That I can mostly agree with Jasconius.

I think the tax rate on the richest individual brackets is way too low (lowest since 1925), but corporate taxes are another clusterfuck that needs dealt with.

In 1925 there were so many deductions available the richest individuals weren't even paying taxes in the end. You have no idea what you're talking about. Stop spitting out talking points and actually spend some time researching taxation and it's history.

List of tax rates by year.

It was meant to be nothing more than a reference point, not a value judgement.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys

uhh yeah, every precious metal has been going up in price including the ones that don't get advertised on AM radio. this has to do less with amateur golfers buying it up and more to do with the only places left with those metals in abundance are war torn or logistically challenging

kinda sorta

it's more to do with rapid industrialization of india, china and brazil and the enormous demand for technology that they suddenly have

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    i recently read an article that says we're actually very close to being able to mine the sea floor, which is kinda cool actually.

edited April 2012
    Also, for my sanity can we not automatically correlate mineral rights to precious metals.

It was a joke. Calm down Jasc, you're hitting Defender Sayian Level 2 with spikey yellow hair.

Hunter on
  • HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    i recently read an article that says we're actually very close to being able to mine the sea floor, which is kinda cool actually.
    Maybe we can mine it for phosphorous too since our stock of that is getting low.

I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Can't a guy just be passionate about precious metals?

there's so much crossfire here I can't tell up from down

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    it's exactly about resentment and jealousy if your argument is "the wealthy are literally so evil that they would enact the plot of The Most Dangerous game"

Most Dangerous Taste would be a good ad campaign for a drink of some stripe

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    Also, for my sanity can we not automatically correlate mineral rights to precious metals.

It was a joke. Calm down Jasc, you're hitting Defender Sayian Level 2 with spikey yellow hair.

go fuck one of your whore crucibles

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    i propose a bacon-based economy

bacon and burgs

• AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular

Now that I think about it, I bet Defender would post on reddit if he felt like posting online these days.

Can't a guy just be passionate about precious metals?

Sure, but precious metals aren't minerals in my brain. I can't process the legal definition without my mind exploding. It's my baggage.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Like, if you're going to take the position that Capitalism is fundamentally evil, then ok, we're at a bypass here, because I don't think that's true. But if you seriously think that you're being pretty accurate in your assessment that rich people, in the majority, get there only by being unethical in the capitalist system and by overtly trying to harm those around them

you're crazy.

• LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    This is just a terrible discussion.

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »

bacon and burgs

But then everyone has clogged arteries and a spare tire around the midsection

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg

bacon and burgs

fuck you man now I'm burgin

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular

bacon and burgs

fuck you man now I'm burgin

i'm trying to decide if i have the ambition to make a good bacon cheeseburger or if i'm gonna be a lazy sack and just nuke some fakon

LTM wrote: »

i know

it sucks when people of dissenting opinions show up

If I could stick my dick in 500k worth of platinum and rhodium I would, but unfortunately they are locked in the safe and I no longer have access to the pass code.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular

bacon and burgs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrIeP798hiQ

• AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular

i know

And the DeaconBlues Martyr of the Year statue will be awarded early in 2012...

Like, if you're going to take the position that Capitalism is fundamentally evil, then ok, we're at a bypass here, because I don't think that's true. But if you seriously think that you're being pretty accurate in your assessment that rich people, in the majority, get there only by being unethical in the capitalist system and by overtly trying to harm those around them

you're crazy.
    Well considering the shit that goes on at Ivy League schools, it's fair to have suspicions to that end.

I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    That I can mostly agree with Jasconius.

I think the tax rate on the richest individual brackets is way too low (lowest since 1925), but corporate taxes are another clusterfuck that needs dealt with.

In 1925 there were so many deductions available the richest individuals weren't even paying taxes in the end. You have no idea what you're talking about. Stop spitting out talking points and actually spend some time researching taxation and it's history.

List of tax rates by year.

It was meant to be nothing more than a reference point, not a value judgement.

It was a pointless reference as you are comparing rates of two entirely different systems of taxation. The 70-ish% rates of the past were all part of a system that was even more convoluted and considerably less progressive than it is now. That's why it has undergone periods of reform over the last 90 years. Believe it or not we have evolved from 1925. As much as the tax system sucks in this country it used to be far worse.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

i know

foolproof and ascis dont get a shot at the title?

2x39jD4.jpg

i know

It's basically an Oscar painted black until a large Jewish man comes along and discovers it wasn't really black in the first place.

racist

2002 PA JOIN DATE REPRESENT!

Long time forumers rejoice in that joke and give me a fuck you for a decade of depravity in this place.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular

you're crazy.

That is basically the position my friend takes whenever we discuss pretty much anything

"oh it's because rich people are super smart and diabolical and they secretly control every single thing that happens and rockefellers and illuminati" and my brain just kind of starts screaming and never stops

racist

Say what you want, but Deacon had the best troll of all time on Evander. Epic in scope and a precision final reveal for the ages.

i've logged about seven tenths of a decade of useless garbage followed by three years of depravity

yes, in that order

I do think you can argue that the entire modern culture of the super rich, particularly where it pertains to banking and money management, encourages at least some disrespect for fair play and the rule of law.

• FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    Like, if you're going to take the position that Capitalism is fundamentally evil, then ok, we're at a bypass here, because I don't think that's true. But if you seriously think that you're being pretty accurate in your assessment that rich people, in the majority, get there only by being unethical in the capitalist system and by overtly trying to harming those around them other people

you're crazy.

i changed that a little to be 'bout right

reposig.jpg
    I joined before things like goatse and 2 girls 1 cup were old and busted.

This discussion has been closed.